• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading stuff like six or five years ago about something beyond Pluto that was big

One theory was it was a brown dwarf (I think) that was effecting orbits.

Smokey

Thought this was called Planet X back in the day before childhoods were destroyed by removing Pluto as a planet.

latest

dabig2

So we know that there's another Earth a fucking bazillion light-years away, but we missed a planet in our own system? Fucking nuts haha.

Makes sense. We find other planets in other solar systems by measuring the "wobble" they put on their star as they orbit around it. Further you are from the star, the less you affect that star and the harder it is for us to spot you.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How does this work, wouldn't an object that huge so far out just get flung off into space eventually?

rjinaz

It's funny, I was just watching K-PAX last night and Prot said there are actually 10 planets. Silly alien, or so I thought. At that time Pluto was still considered a planet by definition so if this was true #protwasright

Really wouldn't surprise me if there are tons of rouge planets in interstellar space.
All evidence points to it. They're just notoriously hard to detect because they don't emit any light.

However, this wouldn't be a rogue planet, just a far-off world in our own solar system. Estimate are about 20 times as far as Neptune, or around 600 AU.

EDIT: Apparently it's even further! Corrected my original sentence.

q_q

Really wouldn't surprise me if there are tons of rouge planets in interstellar space.

This just made me wonder... would it be possible for a planet to drift out the orbit of one star and then into the orbit of another billions of years later? Could microscopic extremophiles survive this journey and populate the planet through evolution when it enters the orbit of the second star and gains a source of energy? Like whoa man.

All evidence points to it. They're just notoriously hard to detect because they don't emit any light.

However, this wouldn't be a rogue planet, just a far-off world in our own solar system. Estimates are about 5 times as far away as Pluto, which would put it at ~200 AU.

Yeah, its hard to comprehend that amount of distance. And your right, rouge wasn't the best term for it. Rouge planets are the ones that have a janky orbit and then are shot out of the system they are apart of and just start flying through interstellar space.

Hopefully we can pinpoint a time when it would be coming back around so we can study it.

This just made me wonder... would it be possible for a planet to drift out the orbit of one star and then into the orbit of another billions of years later? Could microscopic extremophiles survive this journey and populate the planet through evolution when it enters the orbit of the second star and gains a source of energy? Like whoa man.

Well the universe can do what ever it wants to. But I beleive there are examples that they have measured in which a planet does get slingshoted out of their orbit and goes into interstellar space.

FyreWulff

yep

Yeah, its hard to comprehend that amount of distance. And your right, rouge wasn't the best term for it. Rouge planets are the ones that have a janky orbit and then are shot out of the system they are apart of and just start flying through interstellar space.

Hopefully we can pinpoint a time when it would be coming back around so we can study it.

Ekl9l3t.jpg

Kinda a scary thought knowing their are giant planets out there that have the possibility of popping up and wrecking entire solar systems via altering orbits (or smashing into planets)

Oh this ought to be really interesting... Hope they'll find it (assuming it exists) though it's still a heck of a long way away...

commedieu

Banned
Zacharaia Sitchen redeemed, as he and others translations of Sumerian texts literally have the. Sumerians citing a 12th planet being gigantic and having a huge elliptical orbit that takes 10-20000 years.

It allegedly hit our former planet mass, creating our plate tectonics, giving us water and it dragged a moon from a near by planet.

It might explain the asteroid belt as well. Debris from an old collision.

But if it's the planet of the gods, they are sort of assholes. Just as flawed as us.. but longer life ( slow metabolism ). We should strike first. It usually preempts a global flood :/

qcf x2

I hear this story every year. I mean I literally heard this, estimated orbit and all, over 4 years ago. So why does it keep getting reported as news if it's already out there?

Even if we find it will we ever see it? As in does the planet receive so little light that far away it would just be totally dark?

commedieu

Banned
I hear this story every year. I mean I literally heard this, estimated orbit and all, over 4 years ago. So why does it keep getting reported as news if it's already out there?

With this, and the alien maybe solar system thread, it's clear.

Governments getting ready for the false flag operation when they project images in the atmosphere, pretend we've made contact, and steal our guns.

So we know that there's another Earth a fucking bazillion light-years away, but we missed a planet in our own system? Fucking nuts haha.

The universe is an incredible place, and our knowledge is surprisingly vast for how small we are within it. I read a passage from Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" 2003) a couple of weeks ago and found it fitting. it's a bit shortened in places, and perhaps paraphrased a bit, but mostly remains intact:

So if pluto really is a planet, it is certainly an odd one. It is very tiny, just one-quarter of 1 percent as massive as earth. If you set it down on top of theh united states it would cover not quite half the lower fourty-eight states. This alone makes it extremely anomalous; it means that our planetary system consists of four rocky inner planets, four gassy outer giants, and a tiny, solitary iceball. Moreover, there is every reason to suppose that we may soon begin to find other even larger icy spheres in the same portion of space. Then we will hae problems. As of early Dec 2002, astronomers have found over 6 hundred additional Trans-Neptunian Objects, or Plutinos as they are alternatively called. One, dubbed Varuna, is nearly as big as Pluto's moon. Astronerms now think there may be billions of these objects. The difficulty is that many of them are awfully dark. Typically they have an albedo, or reflectiveness, of just about 4 percent, about the same as a lump of charcoal--and of course these lumps of charcoal are about four billion miles away.

And how far away is that exactly? Space, as you will see, is just enormous. Lets imagine, for purposes of edification and entertainment, that we are about to go on a journey by rocketship. We won't go far, just the edge of our solar system, but we need to get a fix on how big a place space is and what a small part of it we occupy.

At the speed of light, it would take us 7 hours to get to Pluto. But of course we can't travel at anything like that speed. We'll have to go at the speed of a spaceship, and these are rather more lumbering. The best speeds yet achieved by anyhuman object are those of the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft, which are not flying away from us at about thirty-five thousand miles an hour. [snip]

Now the first thing you are likely to realize is that space is extremely well named and rather dismayingly uneventful. Our solar system may be the liveliest thing for trillions of miles, but all the visible stuff in it--the Sun, the planets and their moons, the billion or so tumbling rocks of the asteroid belt, comets, and other miscellaneous drifting detritus--fills less than a trillionth of the available space. You aslo quickly realize that none of the maps you have ever seen of the solar system were remotely drawn to scale. Most schoolroom charts show the planets coming one after the other at neighborly intervals--the outer giants actually cast shadows over each other in many illustrations--but this is a necessary deceit to get them all on the same piece of paper. Neptune in reality isn't just a little bit beyond Jupiter, it's way beyond Jupiter--five times farther from Jupiter than Jupiter is from us, so far out that it receives only 3 percent as much sunlight as Jupiter.

Such are the distances, in fact, that it isn't possible, in any practical terms, to draw the solar system to scale. Even if you added lots of fold-out pages to your textbook or used a really long sheet of poster paper, you wouldn't come close. On a diagram of the solar system to scale, with Earth reduced to about the diameter of a pea, Jupiter would be over a thousand feet away and Pluto would be a mile and a half distant (and about the size of a bacterium, so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway). On the same scale, Proxima Centauri, our nearest star, would be almost ten thousand miles away. Even if you shrank down everything so that Jupiter was as small as the period at the end of this sentence, and Pluto was no bigger than a molecule, Pluto would still be over thirty five feet away.

So the solar system really is quite enormous. By the time we reach Pluto, we have come so far that the Sun--our dear, warm skin-tanning, life giving Sun--has shrunk to the size of a pinhead. It is little more than a bright star. In such a lonely void you can begin to understand how even the most significant objects--Pluto's moon, for example--have escaped attention.

Now the other thing you will notice as we speed past Pluto is that we are speeding past Pluto. If you check your itinerary, youll see this is a ctrip to the edge of our solar system, and I'm afraid we are not there yet. Pluto may be the last object market on schoolroom charts, but the system doesn't end there. In fact, it isn't even close to ending there. We won't get to the solar system's edge until we have passed through the Oort cloud, a vast celestial realm of drifting comets,and we won't reach the Oort Cloud for another ten thousand years. Far from marking the edge of the solar system, as those schoolroom maps so cavalierly imply, Pluto is barely one-fifty-thousandth of the way

I'm not sure how scientifically accurate everything he discusses in here, but it's a really nice read thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom