• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer!

Chris R

Fuck yea that looks sweet. Here is hoping the game is at least somewhat challenging and allows use of the classic controller (been kinda out of the loop with pretty much everything Nintendo since E3 so I bet both of those request have already been shot down :( )

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
The animation on those sharks is incredible.

FPSes and MMOs are the only two genres I actively avoid.
Aww... but it's stupid fps fun!

then mickey i guess... but I can't beat you in that...

Looking great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a bit worried about the music though. The music by David Wise and even Fischer in the SNES games played such an important part, I just hope Kenji Yamamoto can work some magic as well for this one.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
the exaggerated design and animation of the characters are awesome. retro really have a lot of range in their skill/talent going from metroid to this.

Boney said:
Are you a DKC2 hater?
I am a DKC indifferenter. The games are mediocre with shitty-to-average level design and wonderful presentation. Oh yeah, and sloppy as shit collision detection.

I mean, I never played DKC3, so maybe they pulled it up in that one? I don't know.

digita1alchemy said:
Looks good, but the music leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's just because it's just sort snippets in a trailer.

My only concerns - music and atmosphere. It's gonna be extremely hard to top the originals in these departments!

Takao

Banned
I'm not going to lie, I thought Boney and Regulus were the same person for a moment there.

I also for a moment thought New Donkey Kong Country Returns was the actual name for the game. But "New" is only for Mario, and crappy shovelware franchises.

Guevara

Segata Sanshiro said:
I am a DKC indifferenter. The games are mediocre with shitty-to-average level design and wonderful presentation. Oh yeah, and sloppy as shit collision detection.

I mean, I never played DKC3, so maybe they pulled it up in that one? I don't know.

Pretty true, I never understood the love for the franchise, but I'll try anything with Retro attached to it.

Segata Sanshiro said:

why don't you just go to an elementary school and fucking announce over the intercom that Santa Claus doesn't exist

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:
then mickey i guess... but I can't beat you in that...

Mickey's 2D portions look so good. It's just bad that it has to be sandwiched between, well, everything else.

Segata Sanshiro said:

I actually agree with this.

Takao said:
I'm not going to lie, I thought Boney and Regulus were the same person for a moment there.

Ewwwww.

DaBuddaDa

Aeana said:
Sometimes I can't tell Boney, Regulus Tera, and Gravijah apart.
Or the half dozen people with the Kirby avatar
or the half dozen of us with the LIMBO-kid-dying avatars :lol

ZeroGravity

Don't care if it's a popular opinion or not, but I thought DKC2 was the best game on the SNES. Like, ever.

Going to really love this game.

Volcynika

I always think those three are Gravijah.

Stupid question I haven't been paying attention: Is this multiplayer local co-op or whatever? Would be fun to bring to work for lunch breaks.

Boney

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:
R-r-r-r-rocket pack double jump!?

Game looks awesome. Have they released any footage/screens of underwater stages?
There are no underwater parts.

Jesus guys :(

Me and Regulus have 2 neurons, gravijah likes kingdom hearts.

Aeana

They probably opted not to put any water levels in because they knew they couldn't get any music as good as Aquatic Ambience or Lockjaw's Saga.

gdt

So stoked. Love me some Retro, love me some DKC.

Has there been any info on what else Retro is working on? Or is DKCR taking up the whole studio?

Edit: I always hated the underwater levels, Retro knows whats up.

Instro

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hunh. The underwater levels were some of the ones that actually *did* work well in the old games. Ah well. Guess we'll see.

I always found that the collision detection issues were the worst in the underwater levels, the music was great but everything always felt so imprecise. Not really bothered one way or another, but it is a shame that we wont be hearing Aquatic Ambiance.

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Who the shit are you, again?
I'm not... alfredo teehee!

Instro said:
I always found that the collision detection issues were the worst in the underwater levels, the music was great but everything always felt so imprecise. Not really bothered one way or another, but it is a shame that we wont be hearing Aquatic Ambiance.
Maybe we will regardless..

Instro said:
Yeah, the collision was awful in the underwater levels. But pretty awful in general. The underwater levels were at least designed better than Rare's usual, though. I guess with a different developer, I shouldn't worry so much that the land levels are going to fall into the same traps as Rare's.

Top Bottom