• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Live-Action 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' Series

I want to believe but it would need a big budget to pull it off.
https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/09/18/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-netflix-reaction-anime/

After the favorite anime-inspired series hit theaters in a live-action flop, it seems Netflix will try to work its magic on the epic series. According to the company's See What's Next account on Twitter, the streaming service is working on a "reimagined" take on Aang's story.

"A reimagined, live-action “Avatar: The Last Airbender” series is coming to Netflix," the page writes. The tweet, which can be seen above, also includes a piece of concept artwork which John Staub did for the impending project.

A separate tweet by NX on Netflix also commented on the announcement to reveal the original creators behind Avatar: The Last Airbender will be working on the adaptation:

"I can confirm that the original creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, will be back to take on the live action. THIS IS WHAT WE’VE BEEN TRAINING FOR ALL THESE YEARS."
So far, there are no details out about when the live-action series will make its way to Netflix. No casting details have been made public either, but fans are both excited and scared to see how this live-action adaptation will go. Traditionally, live-action adaptations of anime or anime-inspired projects have not gone over well. Films like the Matrix have bucked the trend, but Netflix's work on Death Note cast doubts on the company's adaptive vision. However, with both DiMartino and Konietzko working on this film, fans are willing to give it a shot.
Of course, this adaptation will draw comparisons to the first live-action adaptation given to Avatar: The Last Airbender. M. Night Shyamalan directed an ill-fated take on the famed Nickelodeon series. It is often touted as one of the worst live-action adaptations given to an animated title, sitting only next to Dragonball Evolution. So, it is now up to Netflix to turn around the franchise's live-action reputation.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Last Airbender, the series screened on Nickelodeon between 2005 and 2008. Its complex story and diverse stars earned the series’ acclaim. The Last Airbender’s story coupled with its anime-inspired artwork has helped it grow a loyal fanbase, and the series has continued to expand with various comics over the years.

finowns

Why? The cartoon still holds up and anything in comparison to it will fall short. This is dumb and I liked Netflix Death Note movie.

Thurible

No. Does anyone remember the last airbender movie? Why does the film industry always need to do stuff like this?

kunonabi

After Korra I really dont want these guys doing anymore avatar related stuff especially not in live action.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Could be good. Hope its nothing like the movie, that was a disaster. Having the creators onboard is great news.

I'm afraid I haven't watched this series yet but it's definitely on the to-do list.

I find it weird though that for as big an impact as the show had it only lasted 3 years, Spongebob by contrast has been going for close to 20.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm afraid I haven't watched this series yet but it's definitely on the to-do list.

I find it weird though that for as big an impact as the show had it only lasted 3 years, Spongebob by contrast has been going for close to 20.

It was a complete story. Not one with no end.

Thurible

Personally, I think spongebob should have ended after the 3rd season. There seems to be a lot of bizarre gross out humor in the show after the 3rd season (there was an episode where spongebob gets a splinter, and it gets infected and swells until blood and pus comes out, with confetti. Then there was one where they made horrific faces and they got stuck looking like deformed monsters.) I hear however it has gotten a little better since some of the original writers are back. I just think sometimes its better to let shows die, its better to go out on a high note and other new projects can be worked on. For example, I liked the new season samurai jack, but adult swim changed some of the show to the point it didn't quite reflect the original. It was much darker and while it was a dark show originally, it was also a show made for kids. Also, I always thought the show was about the journey and not the destination. I kind of liked it being ambigious if he ever got back to his own time.

Avatar is similar. I say either let the property alone, or make a series that derives from it (like korra).

Why is Netflix so eager to rehash other people's ideas? And poorly, usually.

"Netflix Originals" used to mean just that. Original ideas. And it was nearly always a seal of quality tok. I can think of barely anything from them the last few years that was both original and really good. Stranger Things and Altered Carbon, that's about it.

I expect this is going to be a disaster, and nobody should act even remotely surprised when it is, considering their existing track record with these kinds of adaptations.

NewYork214

I'm open to the idea. I'll just keep my hopes tightly in check.

I'll be honest, I really dug the new bleach movie that released on Netflix a few days ago. It got me to restart the anime from the beginning after years of seeing it. It was really a good movie. I will just give this version of the last airbender a shot and wont just shit on it automatically.

Ka-Kui

The "official" creators weren't even the reason why the original series was so good. A lot of it had to do with the key writing staff that weren't present for Korra. Their names don't give me any hope.

Last edited:

plushyp

619.jpg

Gander

Banned
Why is Netflix so eager to rehash other people's ideas? And poorly, usually.

"Netflix Originals" used to mean just that. Original ideas. And it was nearly always a seal of quality tok. I can think of barely anything from them the last few years that was both original and really good. Stranger Things and Altered Carbon, that's about it.

I expect this is going to be a disaster, and nobody should act even remotely surprised when it is, considering their existing track record with these kinds of adaptations.
The war for streaming is coming Netflix is just trying to build up as many recognizable properties as it can to fight off the competition.

What could they possibly hope to accomplish thematically that the original show didn't? Are they still marketing it toward the original age demographic? If this was an original story set in the Avatar universe I would be warmer to this.

Vlaphor

I feel weird about this. I loved Last Airbender, loved Korra, my only tattoo is an Avatar one

This photo is from when I got it, so it's a bit redder than it is now, but it's hard to get a good photo of your own forearm

Ls4DgFg.jpg

It's all four of the elements merged into one design

but this just sounds ill-conceived and pointless. We know Aang's story, give us a new Avatar, or show more of the first Avatar, that was a cool story.

Top Bottom