• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetEase acquires 100% of Quantic Dream

emivita

You finished the chapter.

Please pay $10 to unlock branching paths.
middle fingers GIF by Digg

SJRB

Gold Member
When was the last time Quantic Dream did something kinda worthwhile, was that Detroit? That shit was 4 years ago, what the hell are they doing?

Elios83

Let's see what they can do with their next games. The company similarly to Activision has got a terrible reputation with all the lawsuits about harassments.
They're working on Star Wars Eclipse but according to rumors it's still early in development.
In general they need to evolve their gameplay even if they want to focus on storytelling, out of the three games they made with Sony, Heavy Rain was the best one and that's over a decade ago.

What a missed opportunity for PlayStation. They did 3 games together, and Detroit was very well received by fans.

SiE missed an opportunity with:

Ready At Dawn
Quantic Dream
Supermassive Games
Pretty much. Hey at least they bought a mobile studio dev. Le sigh.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What a missed opportunity for PlayStation. They did 3 games together, and Detroit was very well received by fans.

Ready At Dawn
Quantic Dream
Supermassive Games
Ready At Dawn hurts the most, that engine they had for The Order was absolutely insane.

Why all the hate? Thought they were quite popular in the past.
When they used to work with Sony exclusively they were popular here.
Pretty sure till Detroit was ported it was regarded as a "great" game.
But general "hate" has always been there, you know how the politics of who works with who goes.

When was the last time Quantic Dream did something kinda worthwhile, was that Detroit? That shit was 4 years ago, what the hell are they doing?
You make 4 years for a studio of ~200 people seem like a long time to not have another game of similar scale out, basically all their games have had ~4 years between them.
Also considering the whole "hostile work environment" shit they were going through, im not surprised they havent released a project yet.

But they do have work.
Currently working on Star Wars Eclipse
maxresdefault.jpg

star-wars-eclipse-22-drummer-face-38763223_8df3eced.jpeg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Netease aren't closed off from selling?

They had a big stake in bungie and sold to Sony.

solidus12

Ready At Dawn hurts the most, that engine they had for The Order was absolutely insane.

But general "hate" has always been there, you know how the politics of who works with who goes.

You make 4 years for a studio of ~200 people seem like a long time to not have another game of similar scale out, basically all their games have had ~4 years between them.
Also considering the whole "hostile work environment" shit they were going through, im not surprised they havent released a project yet.

But they do have work.
maxresdefault.jpg

Indeed, they were learning and were able to provide the typical AAA cinematic tps as well as VR. They were a match made in heaven.

Oh well…

wolywood

Ready At Dawn
Quantic Dream
Supermassive Games
Supermassive is no big loss IMO - the Dark Pictures games were all disappointing, and The Quarry was a meh attempt at recapturing the Until Dawn hype.

solidus12

Supermassive is no big loss IMO - the Dark Pictures games were all disappointing, and The Quarry was a meh attempt at recapturing the Until Dawn hype.
No shit? I just bought the Quarry for 40bucks, and it’s supposed to arrive later today.

The dark pictures weren’t that good because they were short/low budget games compared to Until Dawn. I thought that the Quarry was in the same vein as UD 🫣

//DEVIL//

At this point it's either Microsoft buying them companies or China. I am going to root Microsoft for obvious reasons but this Trend is becoming shit. Meanwhile Sony buy just 14% of stock of a company that has no purpose of being bought

SeraphJan

Netease, although shitty, at least better than Tencent, main reason is that Netease often give more freedom to its studio compare to Tencent

But its bad nonetheless, Sony should have purchased it when they had the chance

Last edited:
I did not like the writing of UD, typical horror trash with obscure logic and plot and annoying characters, which it tried to be I guess, but they already used Decima Engine and when the partnership with QD was ending, they could have been the replacment if they seemingly anyway wanted to do those sort of games and that gap is kind of now open in the first party line up which also defined Sony's offering through PS3 and PS4. All players get now games from both developers (QD and SM), so we do not lose anything, unless we assume the quality might have been different/better under Sony's umbrella, but Sony lost that exclusivity grip on both teams and that type of cinematic games.

Last edited:

solidus12

This arms race that Microsoft began will have disastrous consequences. I miss the days when studios with an established relationship with a big publisher were bought. Now it seems like everyone is buying what they can.

Javthusiast

Banned
The fact that this studio hasn't changed their gameplay formula one fucking bit in all these years is sad. In addition to Cage being simply a hack writer.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I don't necessarily like QuanticDreams but sony fucked up by not buying them. Like or hate the games, they were unique

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Netease, although shitty, at least better than Tencent, main reason is that Netease often give more freedom to its studio compare to Tencent

But its bad nonetheless, Sony should have purchased it when they had the chance
Which studios does Tencent pressure into doing anything?

NetEase give more freedom?
What freedom?
Freedom to who?

wonder what will happened to that star wars eclipse game
Contract already signed so it should be going as its supposed to.
Cant imagine NetEase has much say in it now.

Huh, this whole time I thought Sony owned them. Actually had fun "playing" their games with friends while we drink and smoke. Some pretty hilarious situations in a choose your own adventure sort of way. I still havent finished Detroit.

But they do have work.
maxresdefault.jpg

Why do they have a sexdoll in the garage? Do they pray to it to get more ideas?

Ready At Dawn
Quantic Dream
Supermassive Games

Given the shady shit happening at QD, Sony were likely happy to be at the end of that 3 game deal. My understanding is that there was a lot of tension towards the end.

Fbh

You still get "emotions™" but only the CCP approved kind.

Why all the hate? Thought they were quite popular in the past.

Their games have always had rather split reactions. It's just that once the games came to PC and they stopped working exclusively for Sony the fanboys could stop pretending to like their games.

John Wick

This arms race that Microsoft began will have disastrous consequences. I miss the days when studios with an established relationship with a big publisher were bought. Now it seems like everyone is buying what they can.
Well the way Sony are going it's all MS. Sony barring Bungie haven't bought diddly squat.

John Wick

Which studios does Tencent pressure into doing anything?

NetEase give more freedom?
What freedom?
Freedom to who?

Contract already signed so it should be going as its supposed to.
Cant imagine NetEase has much say in it now.
Man you are behind the times or have you been living under a rock?
Tencent is this evil terrorist corporation that funds a made up group called Al Kaeda. They have murdered, looted and destroyed other corporations etc etc.
Well that's the impression I get from this forum.

Top Bottom