• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Game Collectors

An interesting article, if only for the tip at the end to fix your old NES. Oh, and the fact that Blaster Master gets props. :)

Game Time

Classic 8-bit Nintendo has gamer Mark Cooper hooked -- he owns nearly 500 cartridges

The Herald Dispatch (West Virginia)

By Randy Snyder

June 13, 2004

As yard sale season rolls around, we’re bound see discount tables chock full of gray Nintendo game cartridges. Though most of these will be available dirt cheap, one 28-year-old from the Tri-State will look at other’s trash as a trove of classic gaming treasure.

Chesapeake resident Mark Cooper’s beloved hobby actually sprang from the loss of a beloved pet. When his dog Buck passed on, a young Cooper was given a Nintendo Entertainment System to attempt to ease his grieving.

"When I saw ‘Super Mario Bros.,’ I couldn’t believe how advanced it was," said a chuckling Cooper. "When Mario jumped, it was just so realistic. My little 12-year-old mind couldn’t comprehend how much of a leap it was between the Atari and the NES."

When Cooper made his way to college and was introduced to Internet auction site eBay, the video game fan became a collector. To date, he has amassed more than 450 titles for the Nintendo Entertainment System alone. At one point, he had six NES systems operating simultaneously (not to mention nearly 30 controllers), so friends could indulge in Cooper’s Nintendo wealth.

Not one to discriminate, Cooper also tracks down video game consoles from other generations. He has more than 15 systems in his arsenal now, with a healthy library of games for each. He somehow found time in the middle of all that gaming to graduate from Marshall University with a degree in journalism advertising.

Cooper’s roommate, Michael Sullivan, is fine with his friend’s hobby, as long as it keeps him out of trouble.

"Everybody has to have something. He doesn’t drink to excess, he doesn’t take illicit drugs that I know of. Plus, it keeps him occupied," joked Sullivan, "I don’t have to sit around and entertain him."

Despite his massive collection, Cooper is able to quickly pick his favorite title: NES game "Blaster Master," the story of a boy, his tank and his quest to rescue his giant radioactive frog.

"Once every couple of months, I’ll break it out and play through it, two hours, burned into my brain," Cooper said. "I could play that game with my eyes closed."

The attack patterns of enemies in "Blaster Master" aren’t the only thing that Cooper remembers when he picks up an NES controller.

"When I play Nintendo games, it’s like being a kid again, when all I had to worry about was what my mom was making me for lunch," Cooper said. "Now, I work a full-time job. I can come home, play some Nintendo, and it takes me back to the simpler days."

Cooper offered a strategy guide of sorts for people who might be looking to build their classic gaming collection and get their own nostalgia fix.

"Start with games you know you like, because you’ll get discouraged when you get the really bad games," Cooper said. "There are brands to look out for -- Sunsoft, Konami, Capcom -- all their games are pretty good. Check flea markets and eBay, you can find some good games there really cheap."

And Cooper even had good news for those of you who think your Nintendo is as dead as a mallard in "Duck Hunt."

The problem with a majority of nonworking NES systems is a malfunctioning 72-pin connector, which can be easily replaced for around $10. NES replacement parts can be found through eBay and classic gaming Web sites such as http://www.gamepart.com.

With the small fortune Cooper has invested at flea markets, on the Internet and at game stores building his collection, it begs the question: Would he trade them all to have his beloved Buck return to him?

After a long pause, Cooper answers with a grin, "Well, Buck is in doggie paradise now, and it would be wrong and selfish of me to ask for him back."

Amneziak

aka The Hound
My wife found her old NES at her parents' house a couple of weeks ago, and we've been playing it since. I was surprised to find that it still works perfectly; no flashing blue screens, no tricks to get it to work. I recently bought a complete-in-box copy of The Immortal on eBay, and next I'm going to buy Bionic Commando (BEST NES GAME EVER). Something about the simple (at least now, anyway) graphics that really stirred my imagination.

That's the best thing about the new model NES. If I actually clean the games with some solvent, every last run of them runs on there perfectly. No problems. No worrying about whether or not my RPG saves were lost. It's great.

The only sucky thing is the lack of composite outputs, but what can you do. I have my original NES still and I've been thinking about replacing the connector for almost a year now. Never get around to it.

Top Bottom