• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2012 Awards

AniHawk

Is this negativity towards KI:U? I'm usually attuned pretty well to your opinions of games, but if you didn't like Kid Icarus then... I don't even know, man.

i find it hard to believe i'd be the only person who didn't care for the mix of bad level design on the ground levels and the worst control method in a video game.

MRORANGE

Glad to see Sleeping Dogs that high.

ikwCEXASRg7WS.gif

Walking Dead should have been first.

Lusankya

Virtue's Last Reward makes Top-12! I approve!

Thanks so much guys for tallying that and putting this together. :)

Yes, very nice. It's good to see such a niche game is at least popular among all the Gaffers. Great game, and I hope it was a success for Aksys/RSG in the west.

Minion101

Banned
I feel this year the games were most interchangeable. Sleeping dogs was still a surprise being so high though. Good game.

I like that last quote for dishonored. Clever guy

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Honestly I don't agree with either of the top 2. Journey is good but not top 15 for me. I haven't played TWD but I have a really hard time believing it's so much better than other Telltale games, and while I'll probably end up playing it I might not get what others have out of it since I'm not into the series otherwise.

It's pretty debatable with those ground controls.

Marcel

i find it hard to believe i'd be the only person who didn't care for the mix of bad level design on the ground levels and the worst control method in a video game.

Actually the worst control method in a video game is Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube, where the common buttons for jump and shoot were swapped, making the game virtually unplayable. But, uh, don't let me stop you from believing a game with solid touch controls that demand a little bit more dexterity of a player is somehow awful.

Tomodachi

Mindblowing work with that statistics guys, really.

Pretty solid list, I didn't play the vast majority of the top 10 games so I guess I'll follow this list closely for clearing my backlog and future purchause.

I'm surprised to see some of these games as high as they are, and while I personally don't agree with a lot of the Top 10 games I don't find them very offensive either.

And these ten people are totally okay:

1. ShockingAlberto (94)
2. grandjedi6 (84)
3. RoeBear (79)
4. Capell (76)
5. jj984jj (71)
6. Dinosur (63)
6. Saiyar (63)
8. Xilium (62)
9. Grisby (61)
10. Alex (60)

AniHawk

Actually the worst control method in a video game is Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube, where the common buttons for jump and shoot were swapped, making the game virtually unplayable. But, uh, don't let me stop you from believing a game with controls that demand a little bit more dexterity of a player is somehow awful.

oh no, two buttons were switched. you're right, that's much worse than the variety of tapping and sliding a stylus across a touch pad in a controller that virtually required a piece of plastic to actually steady it enough to work.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do I go full hipster and call this a good thing?
If you do prepare to get crushed by the O.G. hipster.

I think Yirba takes that crown.

There are some that have lower affinity but they don't have 10 games on their list.
Maybe some one with better understanding on how to quickly find the most unique poster can find the actual one.

AniHawk

Honestly I don't agree with either of the top 2. Journey is good but not top 15 for me. I haven't played TWD but I have a really hard time believing it's so much better than other Telltale games, and while I'll probably end up playing it I might not get what others have out of it since I'm not into the series otherwise.

the game pretty much sucks, and there's very little in the way of adventuring. it has a decent script and it makes you think you are making choices that affect the outcome, but it's more like mass effect. fear the rainbow. taste the rainbow.

iNvid02

pretty solid overall, i wonder how those 22 void ballots would have affected results though

17 points between journey and twd is nothing

1. Aporia88 (115)
2. MrCookiepants (112)
2. Phoenixazure (112)
4. Mizzou Gaming (111)
4. Sidzed2 (111)
6. Guerrillas in the Mist (109)
6. JohnnySasaki86 (109)
8. CambriaRising (108)
8. winstano (108)
10. Deadly Cyclone (107)

8TKlj.gif

Shahed

Well my as well add my affinity list

Shahed
1. Arlecchino (89)
2. Shorty11857 (82)
3. Acquiescence (79)
4. AleeN634 (77)
5. Henry Jones Jr (75)
6. JaCy (74)
7. El-Suave (72)
8. boingball (71)
8. DerZuhälter (71)
10. firehawk12 (70)

Well done to you all! Even if I only recognise and have conversed with the one name here.

Sleeping Dogs was a very late addition to my list. Only updated on the 18th! I have a feeling if I owned a 3DS, my list would be different

AniHawk

AniHawk
1. Necron (79)
2. zashga (74)
3. LOCK (73)
4. Toki767 (71)
5. Teenage Riot (69)
6. TeethMummy (64)
7. CronoShot (62)
7. Mauricio_Magus (62)
9. savor100 (61)
9. ZeroRay (61)

i recognize... lock and teenage riot and zeroray.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's a shame you didn't like Journey that much, but to each his own.
TWD however really is by far their best work; their previous work cannot even compare in terms of quality. Not being into the series doesn't really influence anything either. In fact, I actually genuinely dislike the TV show and didn't care much for the comics and I absolutely loved the game. It falls to $12,50 during sales, so regardless of your situation, I'd still recommend you pick it up. Completely up to you, but you might be missing out on a great game.

I think I was one of the people who couldn't get past the point that somehow you can't have a great experience with someone you know, in the end I was disappointed that there was no local co-op. I enjoyed the game but I couldn't let that go.

I'll be sure to try TWD though, I've enjoyed Telltale games in the past so maybe I am missing out.

I also need to play MoTN.

Marcel

oh no, two buttons were switched. you're right, that's much worse than the variety of tapping and sliding a stylus across a touch pad in a controller that virtually required a piece of plastic to actually steady it enough to work.

I am right. The complaints about Kid Icarus: Uprising's touch controls are way overstated. If you somehow have Comically Large Donkey Kong Hands Disease that prevents you from enjoying the game then I'm sorry for the bad deal that life gave you. It doesn't take away from the fact that it's a solid game.

Thanks for the effort.

Lovely list and data.
Some games a bit too high for my taste (Borderlands 2, Dishonored) some a bit too low (The Darkness 2, which was decent [no points or mention from me either, I too forgot it!], FTL & Mark of the Ninja are exceptional, they need to get in the hands of more people), but no "Oh my lawd... what have you done GAF"- reaction from me.

Will participate next time too!

EDIT:

Whattup brahs?

1. Emerson (135)
2. JBuccCP (124)
3. sTeLioSco (116)
4. Clunker (115)
4. Lime (115)
6. golem (107)
6. O.DOGG (107)
8. I NEED SCISSORS (103)
9. CosmicQueso (102)
9. vferrel (102)

yurinka

Great GOTY results, GAF! I only missed more love for SFxT. Otherwise it's maybe my favorite GOTY 2012 list.
Well deserved, Journey!
Let's hope the publishers take note for their AAA seeing this quantity of 'small', 'low budget', and sometimes 'indie' games with new ideas up there in the GOTY lists.

Rapstah

If you do prepare to get crushed by the O.G. hipster.

I think Yirba takes that crown.

There are some that have lower affinity but they don't have 10 games on their list.
Maybe some one with better understanding on how to quickly find the most unique poster can find the actual one.

There's probably someone who voted for just one game which also happened to be a game no other person voted for, but I'd like to see these statistics too. Who wins Most Hipster 2012?

Derrick01

Banned
After how horrible 2012 was I guess it's only fitting that we end it by picking Journey. Here's hoping this year is a LOT better.

But then again we'll probably end up picking Tomb Raider anyway.

This is my first GotY thread on GAF, holy shit at that affinity list thing - now, that's amazing. Nice to see at least a handful of people slightly sharing my very specific taste.

1. Neon_Icarus (90)
2. Sadist (71)
3. Kangi (69)
4. Yoshi (67)
5. GaimeGuy (65)
6. Electivirus (62)
7. Boogiepop (58)
8. Fare Godmace (57)
8. Sammy Samusu (57)
10. anon_mastermind (56)

duckroll

After how horrible 2012 was I guess it's only fitting that we end it by picking Journey. Here's hoping this year is a LOT better.

But then again we'll probably end up picking Tomb Raider anyway.

Expect to see a lot of Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising. There'll probably be some unannounced Nintendo game which gets ton of critical acclaim later in the year too. Unannounced because all Nintendo games get announced 2 days before release. Lol.

hey i think that with "Resident Evil: Revelaitons = 130 points, 3 honorable mentions" you've made a mis--

Oh wait ..

nevermind.gotta love the work this was done to summarize all of this.

Gilby

Hey, this is a pretty nice list! Journey's at the top where it belongs, now I'll just scroll down...

Where is Dustforce!?!

It's not even in the platforming category!?

GAF, I don't think we can be friends any more :(

Top Bottom