• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #77 - "The Masks We Wear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

=HERO=

Neo Member
Hi everyone. I'm new to this, but as a Creative Writing Minor who has done practically no writing for a while, I'm pushing myself to participate. I've been keeping the thread in the back of my mind, since I've been somewhat short on time, and still am. Expect getting a story tomorrow night written in full...tomorrow night haha. Be gentle :(

:p

Folks, just so you're aware of how this will go down. I will be posting all the stories tomorrow morning in random order. So if you don't see your stuff up right away, that's why.

Also, there are 4 entries so far.

Tangent said:
I seriously don't know how to write this story without being blatantly obvious about who I am. Sheesh. I didn't know that I'm so boxed in with the way I write!

;-)
I wrote a piece that was fairly different from my normal style, and then edited it back into my style. Going to have to work on that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Just sent my entry by PM and letting you all know. I don't know why I must do this, but them be the rules. Crow is mad with power I tells ya! Mad!

And now I'm paranoid about spelling/grammar/coherence.

Cyan

Banned
=HERO= said:
Started writing now. So far, I have:

Title
last two lines

and.....derp.

Yep, that covers it.
Sounds like a solid start!

And... suddenly I'm picturing that scene from the Shining (you know the one), only instead of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" it's "derp derp derp derp derp derp derp".

PR7Js.jpg

=HERO=

Neo Member
Cyan said:
Sounds like a solid start!

And... suddenly I'm picturing that scene from the Shining (you know the one), only instead of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" it's "derp derp derp derp derp derp derp".

PR7Js.jpg

LOL

John Dunbar said:
Just sent my entry by PM and letting you all know. I don't know why I must do this, but them be the rules. Crow is mad with power I tells ya! Mad!
Honestly? It was a split second decision between total anonymity and people bitching when I didn't post the stories until Thursday morning. I went with the one that accepted that this was the internet.

Cyan

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Honestly? It was a split second decision between total anonymity and people bitching when I didn't post the stories until Thursday morning. I went with the one that accepted that this was the internet.
You megalomaniacal bastard!

Happy birthday dude :)

I got carried away with what I was writing and now realised that it has the barest of connections with the theme x_x - ah, fuck it. I'll submit it anyways.

Tangent

Ashes1396 said:
Yes to above.

& Happy birthday to me. In london. :p

Happy Birthday!

。:oο○.。
                  。◆◎。o.:O☆ο
    Happy Birthday  ./。:゜◎::Oσ★。∂:eek:゜
.     ̄ ̄ ̄V ̄ ̄ ./ 。○。∂γ:☆O◇。σ
.        ∧∧  /   ◎:.♭★:ο。:iσ:★:◎:
        (,,゚Д゚)´    ☆。σ:。: o α:θi:ρ☆
         |,つ´       。●..io.。◇.: ★ 。.:
.  ___ ☆――――――― σ :∂io☆ ゜
.  \      し`J ̄ ̄ ̄\
   ||\          \
   ||\|| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|| ̄ ||
   || || ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|| ||  

crowphoenix said:
I wrote a piece that was fairly different from my normal style, and then edited it back into my style. Going to have to work on that.

Though perhaps it's good to have an actual style that fits you. I mean, it's always good to stretch out of that, but not if what turns out is a bunch of crap. Maybe it's also good to try to refine your own style rather than always stretching out. But regardless, both types of exercises are a good way to go.

Irish

Happy Birthday, Ashes!

__

I wish I had a cool style instead of my rather dull one. It's so boring and lifeless. Oh well, I have to finish the Beginning Part 2 and Beginning Part 3 in the next three hours which is only like 30 minutes in Distraction Time.

Tangent

Irish said:
Happy Birthday, Ashes!

__

I wish I had a cool style instead of my rather dull one. It's so boring and lifeless. Oh well, I have to finish the Beginning Part 2 and Beginning Part 3 in the next three hours which is only like 30 minutes in Distraction Time.

That damned Distraction Time. I wish I could get out of that time zone SO BADLY!

PMed my story to our resident power mad tool

Tangent said:
Though perhaps it's good to have an actual style that fits you. I mean, it's always good to stretch out of that, but not if what turns out is a bunch of crap. Maybe it's also good to try to refine your own style rather than always stretching out. But regardless, both types of exercises are a good way to go.
Yeah, the more I read this piece, the more I'm certain it'd have been stronger without the initial style change.

Ashes1396 said:
Yes to above.

& Happy birthday to me. In london. :p

Happy Birthday!

Submitted. You should be able to identify mine by the sloppiness and low quality. :lol

Wish I could use this extra hour to proofread but I have an early meeting tomorrow.

Irish

Lone_Prodigy said:
Submitted. You should be able to identify mine by the sloppiness and low quality. :lol

Wish I could use this extra hour to proofread but I have an early meeting tomorrow.

oops. Shit... wrong account.

:D

Yaaaay, PM'd my story to Crow, and I managed to wrestle it back on theme :D

I think this is only the second creative writing challenge I've managed to submit a piece for, but god knows I've started dozens only to run short on time or inspiration.

iavi

I can't believe it, but I'm not getting my story to a point where I'm comfortable in it. I'm almost done too, which is ridiculous. I'll see what I can do.

Ashes

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Happy birthday dude :)

Thank you. :p

Tangent said:
Happy Birthday!

。:eek:ο○.。
                  。◆◎。o.:O☆ο
    Happy Birthday  ./。:゜◎::Oσ★。∂:eek:゜
.     ̄ ̄ ̄V ̄ ̄ ./ 。○。∂γ:☆O◇。σ
.        ∧∧  /   ◎:.♭★:ο。:iσ:★:◎:
        (,,゚Д゚)´    ☆。σ:。: o α:θi:ρ☆
         |,つ´       。●..io.。◇.: ★ 。.:
.  ___ ☆――――――― σ :∂io☆ ゜
.  \      し`J ̄ ̄ ̄\
   ||\          \
   ||\|| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|| ̄ ||
   || || ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|| ||  

Shukriya :)

Irish said:
Happy Birthday, Ashes!

Danke... ;)

Cyan said:
Hey hey, happy birthday!

Gracias.. :)

crowphoenix said:
Happy Birthday!

Xie xie ;P

=HERO= said:
Happy Birthday to you in London.

Spasiba

ronito said:
Happy berfday Ashes!
7iPsG.png

Achiu (Ahchjooh) lol!

But I hate to tell you ronito, I have something up my sleeve... as my niece reminds me every year:

Why do you have two birthdays uncle? So yeah I have two birthdays... And before you ask, its a boring data entry mis-info mix up story, no secret agent stuff... unfortunately. It really is that boring, except of course I happen to have two birthdays.

This is the mix up birthday, and Dec 1 is the real real birthday. But they are both real, and I have always always celebrated it. And yes everybody asks the same questions.

In the spirit of 'unmasking', I leave you with two other facts about today.

1. It is my sister's birthday. And it is my niece's birthday.

2. Tower Bridge's birthday is today as well. I know this because it is just round the corner from me, but I can never remember how old it is, I'll cheat and look it up in a bit.

But I have to rush, I do have an entry to put in... I just got back in from work...

kehs

Banned
The Masks We Wear - 11,719 Words
------------------------------------------

Today I am humbled by the mask of failure as I submit my unfinished final piece.

=HERO=

Neo Member
I'm done! Just need to submit it!

Edit: Ugh, formatting in the PM box kinda messed up my tabs and indents. Also, kinda ran out of time trying to replace certain hers, hims, boys with Her, Him, Boy, and other proper pronoun stuffins. But it should be content complete otherwise!

Also, might as well while others are doing it:

Further Edit: I hope I implied earlier that I Submitted it

Ashes

Banned
=HERO= said:
I'm done! Just need to submit it!

Edit: Ugh, formatting in the PM box kinda messed up my tabs and indents. Also, kinda ran out of time trying to replace certain hers, hims, boys with Her, Him, Boy, and other proper pronoun stuffins. But it should be content complete otherwise!

Also, might as well while others are doing it:

No no. Copernicious isn't playing it like you and I... get rid of the title quicklly!!!!!!!

Ashes

Banned
=HERO= said:
?
Oh that. Okay.

Couldn't you tell by the word count? lol!!

edit: yep, what he said above...

edit: very quick well done. I'm gonna forget it double quick time now.... though you still left so many clues.... lol

Ashes

Banned
#Note to new people. This is not normal protocol. Normally, you would post it as and when. Crow is just that bit more creative with his topics... :p

=HERO=

Neo Member
I'm new to this, but Crow seemed kinda wavering on the whole "keeping anonymous" thing, since we're all technically anonymous users on the internet. I don't think anyone here knows me well enough to have a bias by knowing my title, but whatever.

Ashes

Banned
=HERO= said:
I'm new to this, but Crow seemed kinda wavering on the whole "keeping anonymous" thing, since we're all technically anonymous users on the internet. I don't think anyone here knows me well enough to have a bias by knowing my title, but whatever.

Well we know your title... then we know you posted it...

Matching Hero to his/her story: 100% easy. :p When it should have been a blind guess.

kehs

Banned
=HERO= said:

Secondary objectives are optional, I've chosen to not option it.

Ashes

Banned
Copernicus said:
Secondary objectives are optional, I've chosen to option it.

That is... true. Actually. Though should we take your entry literally, then it is already disqualified, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom