• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So I don't know if this is a bug or something that can be fixed in settings, but it seems to be completely random whether a thread will send me to the first post or the last post in a thread when I click on it.

Just found that a bit strange. It's also extremely annoying.
Sounds like it’s working as intended. It’s not random, it takes you to the latest post when there’s a new one you haven’t read.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sounds like it’s working as intended. It’s not random, it takes you to the latest post when there’s a new one you haven’t read.
Yeah - if the thread title is bold, it means there are unread messages in the thread, and clicking the thread will take you to the newest unread message. If it's not bold - it means that there are no unread messages, and clicking the link takes you to the thread's OP.

On desktop, you can also click on the first / last date fields to go straight to the first or last post in a thread

ZpKzYPD.png

I don't think you can do that on mobile though.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah - if the thread title is bold, it means there are unread messages in the thread, and clicking the thread will take you to the newest unread message. If it's not bold - it means that there are no unread messages, and clicking the link takes you to the thread's OP.

On desktop, you can also click on the first / last date fields to go straight to the first or last post in a thread

ZpKzYPD.png

I don't think you can do that on mobile though.
I get the bug too for threads I have never clicked on before and it takes me to the last post. It’s a thing recently.

Nymphae

Banned
Not sure if this is just a me/browser thing or what, but on desktop whenever I go to the ban page, there is no horizontal scroll bar anywhere to allow you to read the ban messages if they're too long. I have to stretch my window horizontally until it all becomes visible.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not sure if this is just a me/browser thing or what, but on desktop whenever I go to the ban page, there is no horizontal scroll bar anywhere to allow you to read the ban messages if they're too long. I have to stretch my window horizontally until it all becomes visible.
It should be right above the banner ad at the bottom. I have one.

Nymphae

Banned
It should be right above the banner ad at the bottom. I have one.

Huh, I have never noticed that. Works I guess, but I do find that a bit annoying still, to have to scroll down to find the scroll bar, then back up to see the message, you'd think the main window would just have the scroll bar, but whatever.

ShadowFX

Currently, I'm unable to post anything with a hyperlink... or edit my posts for that matter with a hyperlink. Forum says it runs into a problem. Anything that can be done about it?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Quite often (on ios mobile), when I’m typing in the post box and I press return to start a new line, it randomly and inexplicably deletes a portion of what I have previously typed. It’s been happening for a while now and is very, very annoying.

Also, I have watched threads that consistently stop sending me notifications for no reason. It’s not because I don’t check the notifications. I do. I end up having to post in those threads again to “remind” them to send me notifications again. It’s very weird.

It happens with the Clown World and ResetEra threads all the time.

EDIT: And now video embeds have started automatically playing fullscreen when I open a thread without me touching them.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Quite often (on ios mobile), when I’m typing in the post box and I press return to start a new line, it randomly and inexplicably deletes a portion of what I have previously typed. It’s been happening for a while now and is very, very annoying.

Also, I have watched threads that consistently stop sending me notifications for no reason. It’s not because I don’t check the notifications. I do. I end up having to post in those threads again to “remind” them to send me notifications again. It’s very weird.

It happens with the Clown World and ResetEra threads all the time.

EDIT: And now video embeds have started automatically playing fullscreen when I open a thread without me touching them.
Yes happens to me all the time no matter what browser I use. Thought its a browser issue but looks like it isn't

Grinchy

Banned
I take it there is no way to turn off the Instant Updates feature when you have a gold subscription? It's a cool idea for a feature, but there are times when I wish it wasn't there.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
YOU HAVE INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES TO POST THREADS HERE.

Why is this? Do I need to pay or what?

As a new member you don't get that. Once you've been here a while and made a number of posts to prove you're definitely not a spam-bot you get to make threads.

As a new member you don't get that. Once you've been here a while and made a number of posts to prove you're definitely not a spam-bot you get to make threads.

lol is there a certain number of posts required or is it someone's judgement? I mean it should be obvious if somebody is a spam-bot. Neogaf going back to elitism?

Surely it is 100x easier to tell if someone is a spam bot or whore by judging the type of threads they post?

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
lol is there a certain number of posts required or is it someone's judgement? I mean it should be obvious if somebody is a spam-bot. Neogaf going back to elitism?

Surely it is 100x easier to tell if someone is a spam bot or whore by judging the type of threads they post?
I thought it was 10 posts but you have 17 and haven't upgraded yet so maybe not or maybe it triggers a request for a human to look at it and the human isn't awake yet - there was a topic on it but maybe it's not there anymore? I can't find it. And nope, giving people carte blanche to post threads is a bad idea. I've run forums before and what can happen is your whole forum gets flooded with crap at a truly horrific rate. It's only right that administrators take sensible precautions to avoid an unmanageable workload and burnout. There's enough information in the posts you make to figure out whether you're going to be safe. The other consideration is Resetera escapees. They tend to like to do account suicide blaze of glory stuff, or just shit up the forum, so that requires a certain amount of work to weed out. Patience is a virtue. Btw I'd also say "Neogaf going back to elitism" doesn't immediately suggest someone coming with a sensible attitude.

Mista

Banned
YOU HAVE INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES TO POST THREADS HERE.

Why is this? Do I need to pay or what?
Thats not an error, its a system. You need to be around for a while to have the privileges to create threads

Its only normal since sign ups are now allowed with free emails

NeoGAF going back to elitism is a garbage statement to make. Now watch your privileges on here with this wonderful attitude :)

Last edited:
Well saying stuff like "as a new member you don't get that" sounded like elitism to me. Not sure how private emails do anything to weed out garbage - just look at the amount of drivel posted on Resetera.

Now I have an "attitude"? I thought this new place was supposed to be welcoming.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just close my account then mod, I signed up to make a couple threads but have since made them elsewhere. If I was wanting a big brother vibe and feeling of having my posted analysed, I'd sign up on Resetera.

V-NmrM.gif

And this is why we limit new accounts. Offered a perfectly reasonable explanation our brave soul chooses instead to whine and mewl like a baby. Enjoy resetera.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
And attitudes like that from mods are why you have no users to generate decent gaming conversations. At least echo chambers generate cash for the people who run the site. What's the point of this place? Good luck, not interested in Resterea.
You don’t deserve respect going by the tone of your posts and your type is definitely not needed here. Slither off to the hole from whence you came, idiot.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Mods? Has a mod responded? I see no mods. EDIT: Didn't see that the dumpster fire had already been put out

Last edited by a moderator:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just close my account then mod, I signed up to make a couple threads but have since made them elsewhere. If I was wanting a big brother vibe and feeling of having my posted analysed, I'd sign up on Resetera.

I feel like we really missed a world-class thread starter here, I really don't know how we'll cope without whatever legendary threads he was about to start

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Suggestion: On alert mouseover, pop up the first few sentences of a post so that I can know what that alert was about.

Reason: When I'm casually perusing my notifications, if people quote or react to multiple different posts I made in a thread, I can only tell what they are if I click through.

Grinchy

Banned
I really, really, really dislike the Instant Updates feature for Gold.

At least when I'm using Firefox, it seems to be yanking my page down to the new posts that populate at the bottom of the page. In a thread that's moving fast, I can't even read early pages. It's just constantly yanking because people are constantly making new posts.

And it just breaks up the flow anyway. If I'm reading page 2, and I get to the end of it, I'm arbitrarily being shown the newest posts on page 3. So I get to page 3, I'm in an earlier part of what people were saying, and I re-arrive at posts I already read and didn't realize were newer than the ones that came before it. To me, the feature makes no sense unless the thread isn't moving that quickly and everything is from the same page.

God damn, I wanted to extend my gold membership but Neogaf doesn't accept paypal.
But why? It's like the most common way of paying for shit online.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really, really dislike the Instant Updates feature for Gold.

At least when I'm using Firefox, it seems to be yanking my page down to the new posts that populate at the bottom of the page. In a thread that's moving fast, I can't even read early pages. It's just constantly yanking because people are constantly making new posts.

And it just breaks up the flow anyway. If I'm reading page 2, and I get to the end of it, I'm arbitrarily being shown the newest posts on page 3. So I get to page 3, I'm in an earlier part of what people were saying, and I re-arrive at posts I already read and didn't realize were newer than the ones that came before it. To me, the feature makes no sense unless the thread isn't moving that quickly and everything is from the same page.

Yep - it causes me no end of pain. Might I suggest as an improvement activating it only on the last page of a thread?

thelastword

Banned
How comes when you click on the reactions at the bottom of a post it takes you to the bottom of the page and you have to scroll back to the post everytime, that is very annoying...……..Also when creating a post or responding, if you are not paying attention and just typing your response, it limits how many words you can type and hardlocks at that limit, sometimes when that happens I have accidentally posted a message before I was through or it takes me to a reaction page......I think as you type the box should expand and auto-return to accommodate your posts....

Avasarala Avasarala Palliasso Palliasso

WOf7h7R.png

The site is like this for me everywhere, I'm currently typing this post on the right hand side of my screen with the left filled with a blank space that squishes the page like you see above. On Firefox it doesn't do so I'm assuming it's the ad that's causing it as my Firefox has built-in adblock but I didn't add that to my Chrome because I wanted to be giving the site some form of revenue.

Welp, I no longer have this issue as a kind samaritan has gifted me gold... so uh... that's cool, lol.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
Haven't been able to get gifs to upload at all and it started happening earlier today. I've tested with a few different gifs and using a few different browsers. They just keep saying failed to upload each time after attempting to upload.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Haven't been able to get gifs to upload at all and it started happening earlier today. I've tested with a few different gifs and using a few different browsers. They just keep saying failed to upload each time after attempting to upload.
Maybe the file you're using is too big.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Yeah, it likely is too big. What’s weird, is that it seems to depend. Sometimes I can upload something that’s 5 MB, and sometimes just 1 MB.

Your best best is to just make an account at a gif site, and link them from there. I use Giphy. Uploading is super quick and simple, even on mobile, and you just click on Copy Link for a direct link to the gif itself to post, no windowed BS, or readers having to click through or anything.

rykomatsu

Discord integration -

It's frustrating to open Discord from neogaf.com. I have to navigate away from gaf to get into the discord channel. I come to primarily visit gaf, secondarily discord. Yet, discord is treated as the primary application. Since Discord opens in the same tab, basically have to create a new tab to load up neogaf again

Suggest something like opening discord in a new tab?

SpartanN92

Banned
I don’t know if others are having this issue... I’m on Safari on iPhone and when I click “like” instead of it being the like icon automatically and having to hold down for the other emotes it pulls up the whole list. So if I was just trying to like something I have to press it twice now. Just started about 2 days ago.

iconmaster

Banned
I don’t know if others are having this issue... I’m on Safari on iPhone and when I click “like” instead of it being the like icon automatically and having to hold down for the other emotes it pulls up the whole list. So if I was just trying to like something I have to press it twice now. Just started about 2 days ago.

I'm not certain but I think that may have been a deliberate change. There's no "hover" on mobile, so previously the interaction with the reaction menu was unpredictable in that context. Now it requires two taps, but you're less likely to misfire (once you acclimate).

Dark Rider

Is there a way to to view a list of a thread participants and how many posts each made in said thread?
We used to have this feature in the old software (by clicking on the number of posts displayed in the forum list) and I was wondering if we can do that in the new software.

It was a fun little thing some community threads did to have a "list of shame" whenever a new thread is made for that community :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I have a question: unsure if this is supposed to happen but if i havent visited a thread in awhile why does it open up to the first page? Isnt it currently supposed to go to the last page/post i had viewed?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I highlight text that includes the @'ing of someone and use the context sensitive reply, it replicates their name twice in the quote.

example:

ksdixon

Twitch video embeds seem to be broken, I see an error message about twitch developers?

On a self post, your username box is a lighter grey than the posts of others. How can I isolate that CSS and change it into a different color with a userscript, so that I can easier see when I reach my own post as I scroll-down a thread's page?

Code:
.message-inner > .message-cell--user.message-cell { background-color: green !important;}

doesn't work, for example.

Miles708

Could be because i use an old phone, but on Firefox Android writing a post can be a wonky affair, the page likes to "jump" up and down and it can be difficult to delete and correct text already inserted, sometimes the text cursor is ignored totally.
If you close the on-screen keyboard and reopen it, selecting the right portion if text to modify can be pretty time consuming.

I'm on Firefox and Android 6.

Top Bottom