• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help: PS2 doesn't display color.

Grimlock

Okay, I have a 50001 PS2 at the house right now from my best friend, who had it hooked up to an HDTV (I been thinking of buying the unit off of him to replace my aging beast, plus he lent me RE4). Before I brought it home for a test drive, I play it a little bit at his house to make sure things are alright, and it looked fine (I had played on this unit before a few times, and I had even aquired it for him in the first place). But after I hook it up to my regular (non-HD) TV using the same s-video cables as my old PS2, I get no color on my screen. I check and re-check the connections to the TV and the PS2, and nothing's out of place. I swap out with a different s-video cable and got the same result-black and white picture on bootup. I hook up my old PS2 to check if it was the cables, and it shows color just fine. Now, I thought that since the newer unit was hooked up to an HDTV, I had to adjust the component/RGB settings, although I know that shouldn't be bothered by my s-video connection. I boot back up without a disc and go into display settings and put the component settings onto RGB and set the display ratio to full (was set to 16:9). Unfortunately, no change. I been searching playstation.com, the PS2 Hardware forums on GameFAQs, and googling, but so far I can't find anything quite like this. The unit is not running hot or making weird noises, and I'm using a new dualshock on it with licensed memory cards. The display is not showing any artifacts or missing polys or is blurry-it's just not displaying any colors. Is there something I'm overlooking, 'cause I know the unit was working fine at my buddy's house on his TV before I hooked it up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only black and white issues with a PS2 I've had was using an NTSC one on a PAL television that didn't support it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
are you using the same svideo cable you used for your old one? Maybe it's just bent pins on the connectors?

Grimlock

Yeah, same cables on both old and new(er) PS2. Old one displays colors fine, and no signs of bent pins on the cable, and the connector on the new PS2 appears undamaged. I'm really at a loss here.

Pachinko

The only time I've seena black and white image on a ps2 is if component cables are incorrectly hooked up, 1 of the 3 isnt' plugged in, or they are mixed up. perhaps the pins connecting the system to the cord aren't contacting well enough.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Sounds like the S-Video cable is damaged. Never seen it but since they carry Chromo and Luminance channels it would make sense.

Sometimes I can get a black and white picture on my PS2 because of a loose connection when pulling it away from my TV. If anything, just make sure the cable is fully plugged in (just a little bit of metal exposed on the plug is enough to make the picture go black and white).

stewy

I used to have major issues with the PS2 only showing black and white as well. For me it had something to do with where the S-vid cable plugged into the system itself. Whenever it would go B&W (seemingly at random), I just had to wiggle the connection on the back of the system and it would right itself.

Since getting another PS2, I've never had this issue. And I'm still using the same cable.

Bloomn.JPG

manji

stewy said:
I used to have major issues with the PS2 only showing black and white as well. For me it had something to do with where the S-vid cable plugged into the system itself. Whenever it would go B&W (seemingly at random), I just had to wiggle the connection on the back of the system and it would right itself.

Since getting another PS2, I've never had this issue. And I'm still using the same cable.

Yup, this is the only time I've seen B&W as well...wiggle the connection a bit, wedge it into a position where it'd stay color, and then slowly...sssllloowwlllyyy...back away.

Top Bottom