• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateTheHate: State of Play is the next Sony event | Doom: Dark Ages coming to PlayStation 5

XXL

I heard somewhere that Xbox was possibly going to be announcing PS5 games at the Xbox conference in June on stage.

It looks like that might be happening after all.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

That will be a fun day on here. Lol.

Last edited:

Tsaki

I was thinking about this the other day, we are all waiting for Sony's big hitters,but if Pro is real why wouldn't they show those games in the best light possible ie. On the Pro. We know that's most likely going to be revealed later this year (August/September) so we have to wait until then to see any big games.
Yeah I thought about it but didn't want to say it. It reeks of 'There will be a second Showcase'-hopium like we had last year lol. But bundling it with the Pro reveal could do wonders.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But you're acting as if PS5 Pro isn't coming out later this year.....

I've just had a few beers and it was a general response to people in the thread wondering where all the Playstation games are this year. It's an off-year and they literally told everyone this in February. That's all.

ProtoByte

They are waiting on PS5 Pro to show these games.
Well, they're going to have "show" the games instead of just announcing them. Because getting more Death Stranding 2 gameplay consisting of mostly walking and Wolverine gameplay (2026 for the shit is ridiculous) that's already been leaked with "real time cutscene" reveals for everything else isn't going to cut it.

Last years showcase was so shit despite the 20 month wait between it and 2021's. I would like to believe that it'll be worth it, but I can't say with 100% confidence that all of these games are going to actually look next gen in game systems to justify the waiting.

Sushi_Combo

Well, they're going to have "show" the games instead of just announcing them. Because getting more Death Stranding 2 gameplay consisting of mostly walking and Wolverine gameplay (2026 for the shit is ridiculous) that's already been leaked with "real time cutscene" reveals for everything else isn't going to cut it.

Last years showcase was so shit despite the 20 month wait between it and 2021's. I would like to believe that it'll be worth it, but I can't say with 100% confidence that all of these games are going to actually look next gen in game systems to justify the waiting.
The output this generation has been abysmal.

nial

Gold Member
I've just had a few beers and it was a general response to people in the thread wondering where all the Playstation games are this year. It's an off-year and they literally told everyone this in February. That's all.
They told everyone to not expect sequels of their big selling franchises, that's it.
They've already published more games by this point of the year than they did in early 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Sony isn’t revealing games more than like 1-2 years out, tops

ungalo

Not even pissed about Sony's first party because i don't really care (although, it would be good to finally see something really next gen), but that also means very few notable third party announcements/trailers again this summer

This is why I don't understand why people are so impatient when it comes to game announcements. People want them to announce them so early, than complain when the games take too long. It's just ironic.

Anyway, the SoP is a little bit of a bummer was hoping for a showcase but it's whatever. If they have something cooking up closer to when the pro is gonna get announced /released not that much of a big deal to me. We already know the next 10 months or so is gonna be quiet for Sony 1st party games. Astro bot is dope though. Will be day 1 for that. And who knows, the last state of play was actually pretty damn good, maybe this follows up to that

Well, a few things to take away here. I'm honestly not surprised if it turns out to be a State of Play.

There's still 2 or 3 games that may make it out this year, but most of the heavy hitters are going to be in 2025-2026 and it's a safe bet they'll hold several of them to entice folks when they show the PS5 Pro and what it can do.

Sony has already had some very successful releases this year, as they literally had a strong, exclusive title every month up til May, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, last SoP was pretty decent. Maybe we'll see RE9, Silent Hill 2, and maybe Astro and Concord. That's fairly solid with just those games.

Doom being on PS5 doesn't surprise me at all given all the bonkers stuff going on at Xbox, who are clearly struggling to figure out how to make 70+ billion dollars turn some kind of profit.

Multi-platform is your only real bet when you're being outsold badly in the US, but especially in UK and JP markets. Sorry, Phil. Can't simply buy your way to success.

I would wager this lends the rumors of Starfield coming a lot more credence. I also think the rumored Fallout remasters will be coming over also.

I'm still very interested if, they do indeed plan to being something like Halo or Gears(even if it's MCC or Gears Remasters) over, how they'll put a spin on convincing people to consider their system for a purchase.

ProtoByte

Yeah, right. Lol
Wolverine alone flies in the face of this. By the time it comes out, it'll be most of 5 years. They were going to show off Factions last year before it got shitcanned. Then there's Physint.

It's just not practical or smart to wait a Max of 2 years out to announce these games. As has been the case for a lot of this gen, there will just be nothing to announce for long stretches of time.

I think this gen is a transition we'll just have to go through. Sony decided to throw multiple wrenches into their pipelines. Live services at studios that don't have the capability of doing them, PC ports and VR nonsense, so they've wasted a bunch of time and resources. They're not holding back out of restraint. When you've got a bunch of heat, it's a good idea for the stock price and for hype to let people know.

It was always going to happen, may as well happen in this gen I guess.

Yeah. The way they're doing things now is pretty predictable.

Next years focus will be

Fairgame
Marathon
Venom
Death Stranding 2
Ghost 2
Whatever partner games they have

And then two games further out (2026) which will be Wolverine. Possibly SSM, ND, or maybe Bend, but no way in hell we're seeing something from more than one. Wouldn't be suprised if we get none of them.

Rockman33

Makes sense for doom since the first 2 were on PlayStation. Be a lot more interesting if they announce fable or perfect dark for PlayStation.

ProtoByte

Marvel stuff is different, they have to announce it early just like they do the movies
No they don't. What? Marvel Studios has nothing to do with it. There's an argument that they announced it to prevent leaks (lol), but how doesn't that apply to everything else.

Again, Physint, anyone?

No they don't. What? Marvel Studios has nothing to do with it. There's an argument that they announced it to prevent leaks (lol), but how doesn't that apply to everything else.

Again, Physint, anyone?

Yes they do. It’s far more likely to get leaked

Physint isn’t Sony owned, Kojima probably dictates that decision to announce

Last edited:

Fbh

Hopefully the Doom news is true. It's the one Bethesda owned franchise I was upset about potentially no longer being on Playstation when MS bought them.

ProtoByte

Yes they do. It’s far more likely to get leaked

Physint isn’t Sony owned, Kojima probably dictates that decision to announce
Look, if you genuinely believe that Sony is "holding back", I don't know what to tell you. You know I'm a PS fan through and through, so this isn't fanboy shit. This is just the most realistic read of the situation.

Also, are we sure Sony doesn't own Physint? They own Death Stranding, and it'll be 2.5-3 years since announcement by the time that comes out.

Look, if you genuinely believe that Sony is "holding back", I don't know what to tell you. You know I'm a PS fan through and through, so this isn't fanboy shit. This is just the most realistic read of the situation.

Also, are we sure Sony doesn't own Physint? They own Death Stranding, and it'll be 2.5-3 years since announcement by the time that comes out.

Yes they are, but I think it’s more of a studio call these days

ND has explicitly said they aren’t revealing anything early in order to improve work life balance since preparing demo materials is not an efficient use of studio resources

diffusionx

Gold Member
MS needs to tell Jez to drop some BS about the next Xbox to distract from this

Because games are taking too long.
You all laughed so much, when I said that the development of these games would take alot of time.

You need alot of studios to fill out those missing gaps, because big hits games are going to take 4-6 years these days.
I talked about this in another thread. All their major studios have released something recently-ish except for Bend, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch.

Bend - tons of problems/drama
Naughty Dog - wasted tons of money and time on Factions 2.
Sucker Punch - GOT 2 probably will be revealed soon.

Naughty Dog, we might not see anything from them this gen. It's like Retro who went from DKCTF to.... It's a mystery... to MP4.

Bend, who knows.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking yesterday "eternal released 4 years ago, and man it's gonna be a long time before we see a sequel". Looks like the dark gods were listening

ProtoByte

Yes they are, but I think it’s more of a studio call these days
It shouldn't be. You need to keep reasonable pressure on studios. Otherwise, you wind up like Ninja Theory.

ND has explicitly said they aren’t revealing anything early in order to improve work life balance since preparing demo materials is not an efficient use of studio resources
Going from releasing U4, demoing Lost Legacy and making a TLOU2 trailer in the same year, failing to make a demo and making another trailer that same year, and then making a gameplay demo the year after that to radio silence for 4 years after TLOU2, save for fucking remasters doesn't sound like work-life "balance".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Will be playing on my PC…so great for the rest I guess. Enjoy playing with a controller 😂😂😂

Honestly, tempted to do the same. I enjoy controller, even on PC - so that isn't an issue. But games like DOOM I just heavily associate with PC and prefer playing on it.

Top Bottom