• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst is Coming to PC, Mac and Gamepass! Get it August 26th!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Welcome to Myst: a starkly beautiful island, eerily tinged with mystery and shrouded in intrigue.

Journey to Myst island and other stunning locations - called “Ages”- and begin to unravel the mystery you have been thrust into. As you learn what happened on the island, you will discover that you are playing a key role in an epic story whose ending has not yet been written. Explore deeper connections in these magnificent, surreal Ages, uncover a story of ruthless family betrayal, and make choices that will affect both you, and the world of Myst itself.

We’re thrilled to announce that our newly re-imagined version of Myst is coming to Game Pass (Xbox One, Xbox Series, as well as Windows) starting on August 26th, 2021!

Myst is packed with all new art, sound, interactions, and- for those who are familiar with the game- optional puzzle randomization. For the first time in Myst’s history, you’ll be able to enjoy the game in many different languages through localized UI, including dialogue and gameplay-context subtitles. We’ve also built in a variety of accessibility options to assist in gameplay.

LQX

I have always wanted the play the original since the Sega Saturn days so will give this a shot on Gamepass for sure.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Some stuff from their steam page:

BUILT FOR BOTH VR AND 2D DISPLAYS

Designed and built from the ground up in Unreal Engine, this newly-reimagined version of Myst includes fresh takes on the visuals in every area in the game. With both VR and 2D play experiences in mind, this definitive, modern edition of Myst will immerse you in the world in a way that has never been possible before.

The VR experience includes both Free Roam and Teleport modes, and supports Valve Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Rift S, and Quest via Oculus Link.

Additionally, Myst includes many “comfort level” features for both new and experienced VR users, including the option to enable smooth or snap turning, quick travel up stairs and ladders, vertical height quantization, and more!

NEW AND REQUESTED FEATURES

For the first time in Myst’s history, enjoy the game in many different languages through localized UI, including dialogue and gameplay-context subtitles.
- A variety of accessibility options to assist in gameplay.
- Tired of taking notes? Now you can take photo captures in-game to keep track of what you’ve encountered!
- A large number of graphics options to choose from, such as supersampling options and Ray Tracing to bring the best Myst experience out of the hardware you have.

-----------

Looks like a very nice remake of the original game.

Probably won't play it though, just not my cup of team for the time being.

Danknugz

Still waiting on the VR version to come to steam and no longer a quest 2 exclusive. I have literally every single myst game in my steam library from various sales over the years.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think i'll die a little inside if they have replaced the digitized actors with polygon models. Its a little worrying that they didnt show any npc's in this trailer.

Quasicat

Riven? Riven remake? Where is the superior sequel Riven?
I played the heck out of Myst and even bought the soundtrack CD through the offer on the box. Both this and Riven would be awesome! While we are at it, I would love to play through Pyst again. It was one of John Goodman’s stranger roles.

Stuart360

there already was a 3d remake, this looks like another modernization (not that I"m complaining) I'll probably download on game pass just to be a visuals tourist, I always loved myst's art direction
Yeah you're right there was, i remember now.
I think the 3D graphics of that version didnt come close to the orig prerenderd graphics of the 2D version though, while this looks like the 2D version but in 3D.

Last edited:

MrA

Yeah you're right there was, i remember now.
I think the 3D graphics of that version didnt come close to the orig prerenderd graphics of the 2D version though, while this looks like the 2D version but in 3D.
This is actually the 3rd 3d remake of myst, there was realmyst then realmyst masterpiece edition (which had a big update in 2018 that upgraded the textures)
Wouldn't mind seeing a realtime riven with this level of visual fidelity

Kenpachii

So i bought it and going to do some myst and saw this

a29a199d11e45c29d8315528a40beb92.gif

It basically has raytracing and DLSS + FSR in it.

Also they got this:

8bd4b25ba2d561fb43abe352775faaa1.jpg

Last edited:
playing myst? yeah, why not, the content is more or less the same it just looks the best it ever has
I mean more the original looks different and I usually enjoy playing the originals over remakes unless they are very good

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Did a little benchmark of the game, but u can see the main island and how it interacts. its a bit bright as my capture card is bright as fuck, so there is that. But it looks great and runs smooth.

Kenpachii

So basically started it today and finally finished it and my little review here on it.

I played the actual myst back in the day but never completed it, was to hard when i was a kid so i basically dodged most of the content, its a long time ago i played the game so frankly its a refreshing experience for me. I did a attempt at realmyst like 10 years ago but never finished it as the game was bugfest.

So after that i dived fully into this remake and used all my brain power to see how hard the game now actually was ( kinda big on puzzle games love them ).

Visuals:

Amazing, just gorgeious. Honestly i can't believe the zero effort budget ports they make for every device and now u get something wonderful looking that's actually on par with what u would want in todays age.

Raytracing absolutely adds to the atmosphere here big time and frankly its a good showcase for RT, the performance is also buttersmooth and great.

Here's some screenshots:

ca984acfd4d0c5a7d2b9d94878925bc6.jpg

382f1bb8ec86762f69cbdf9c8880d654.jpg

1a5a8a4581c4b87d597febd27b234875.jpg

d90094ea8a39c6d9b5955de77225b85e.jpg
f6cba895ff3ae3ff03754138b5c54bbf.jpg

5c489bb15588ef32ba0d62c06cedd930.jpg

3acbc563debd4a15874d284ffb5256ac.jpg

dedcc46e1230598f907edd12eaa97750.jpg

bea11b250e23a5b9d81a578c2e9099ee.jpg
8f296f7954802836a8c91c886bd77260.gif

in short the game looks absolutely inanely good with RT and frankly the fog in this game is amazing.

Gameplay:

Smooth as butter and incredible well done, its basically a true remake and exactly u want to play it as.

Content:

Sadly the game misses the bonus age realmyst has in it, i think it will be added later on but who knows. I wish they would have added it but other then that its basically what myst had when it released first.
The game took me about 6 hours to complete, puzzles where pretty solid doable and made u think a few times so great content ( 3 hours ingame time ).

Sound:

Sound design is great, absolutely well done no longer absolute unhearable crackling sound the original game had, its all fixed up and re-recorded i think.

Negatives:

Bugs:

I encountered 2 bugs 1 game breaking 1 not.

1) involves the ship age, i won't spoil anything for new people but just lets say u need to gamble something because one thing isn't going to showcase correctly. It's still perfectly doable to figure it out as its a minor bug tho.
2) game breaking bug, if you plan to play it now, i would get a guide for the absolute last part of the game the reason for that is, the controls are not working after a while which means u can't progress and have to restart endlessly to not be able to progress, really annoying everybody console and PC suffers from it. if u however just google the solution u can end it fast enough before the bug starts to kill your progress.

Other things:
1) Game is lighter and more friendlier then original which is more dark atmosphere i would say from what i remember. Ship age its really noticable for example. U could see this as a negative frankly i liked it way more not a fan of dark games.
2) The real video's of real people in the original gives the game more weight then the cartoon version they have going in this game. For new players its fine for old players its dissapointing. It really added a ton towards the character of the game and frankly that's gone now which with AI they could just bring them back again.

Future:

I hope Riven makes a comeback in the same solution, would absolutely love it but instead of cartoon character i rather have the real video's back of the characters. I did hear many modders and people are busy with a riven remake already for decades at this point but never finished it, so this will be a good way to get that going as its a highly demanded thing under myst fanbase. I hope however that they stress test that game and filter out all the bugs tho.

End conclusion.

Beautiful and great game, absolutely loved it.

Last edited:
Had to try this out.
Anyone else on Series X get audio glitches, pops, cutouts? Had to turn the music all the way down to 5 before I could hear other sounds.
Yet another game that doesn’t support quick resume.
Controls are maddening. I got mad at the controls. Myst on a controller is just yuck.

The textures are super high res super up close.
There is an option to randomize the puzzles. But still has the old solutions if you have em written down like me. Stashed in my old cdrom. 😆

fatmarco

I was surprised at the graphical quality of this game, especially given the trailer. One thing Youtube compression ruins is just how good the texture quality is in this game. I think if I had played Myst before or was a fan of the series I'd be incredibly happy with it.

Kadve

This is like what, the fourth remake/remaster of the game? (Real myst, Masterpiece, Real Myst Masterpiece and now this)

And still no remaster/remake of Riven? You now, the game that's actually in need of a remake because the original is borderline unplayable???

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
This is like what, the fourth remake/remaster of the game? (Real myst, Masterpiece, Real Myst Masterpiece and now this)

And still no remaster/remake of Riven? You now, the game that's actually in need of a remake because the original is borderline unplayable???
It's in works.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's in works.

It's kind of a Black Mesa style "official" fan remake, IIRC.

Cyan's next game is currently in development and called Firmament. It seems very Myst-like, just like Obduction was, but it's maybe a little more "VR first" than their past titles.

kuncol02

Banned
It's kind of a Black Mesa style "official" fan remake, IIRC.

Cyan's next game is currently in development and called Firmament. It seems very Myst-like, just like Obduction was, but it's maybe a little more "VR first" than their past titles.
It's one step more official. Black Mesa was more like "Sure you can make it, but don't call it Half-Life. We will also not help you" and this team is working with Cyan Worlds to make remake. As they wrote in that post: "we are officially working with Cyan Worlds to bring the dream of a real-time Riven into reality."

Danknugz

Damn, sucks that the VR Version isn't available on Gamepass. Might wait for a sale and pick it up on Steam.
"No, we do not officially support VR mode through Myst on Microsoft Store.

There are complications with supporting VR in our required setup for Game Pass, so we've chosen to only offer the 2D version of Myst there at this time."

🤷🏼‍♂️ i didn't know it was on gamepass that's bittersweet with no VR however. kind of tempted to play the original through first at 640x480slideshow mode 😁

Last edited:
I downloaded this for my XBox Series X and accidentally set the language to Mandarin while doing the early setup. Now that I did that, I can't figure out how to get back to the "Settings/Language" menu to change it back to English. Can someone kindly show me the menu tree to get back to the language selection and change it back to English?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

There are complications with supporting VR in our required setup for Game Pass, so we've chosen to only offer the 2D version of Myst there at this time."

🤷🏼‍♂️ i didn't know it was on gamepass that's bittersweet with no VR however. kind of tempted to play the original through first at 640x480slideshow mode 😁
This is a bullshit excuse, Tetris Effect Connected on GamePass supports VR just fine.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Doesn’t Tetris effect on PC gamepass support VR? I’m not sure I understand the problem here.

And Riven still gets no love...oh actually, it looks like a remake is coming per the post above. Finally!

Last edited:
Top Bottom