• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS has finally arrived!

HE1NZ

Banned
It took a while (damn pandemic), but now it's finally here. Unwrapped it a minute ago.

Look at this beautiful machine. I hope it can fit in my gaming setup, it's a little bigger than I imagined.

glaRvA3.jpg

Were you lucky enough to snag one of these too Gaf?

HE1NZ

Banned
It just arrived bro.

I'll probably get HD Retrovision components. HDMI mod is stupidly expensive.

Brock2621

It took a while (damn pandemic), but now it's finally here. Unwrapped it a minute ago.

Look at this beautiful machine. I hope it can fit in my gaming setup, it's a little bigger than I imagined.

glaRvA3.jpg

Beautiful 🤩

Orta

Banned
I let a friend in college borrow my PSX (I had a PS2 and didn't need it anymore) and forgot to get it before the end of the last semester. Have never seen him or it again.

Serves you right. No self respecting gamer ever, EVER loans his stuff to 'friends' :messenger_winking_tongue:

ANIMAL1975

glaRvA3.jpg

That's a playstation indeed.

I let a friend in college borrow my PSX (I had a PS2 and didn't need it anymore) and forgot to get it before the end of the last semester. Have never seen him or it again.
I recall lending some anime DVDs to a coworker back in 2000, that guy left the job the following week and I never heard from him again.

I have been much more careful with the lending since then.

sainraja

glaRvA3.jpg

I still have the original one I got back in 1999/2000 (I know I was late to the console!)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Has ps1 console value increased now that Sony does damage against backwards compatibility?

Trimesh

Banned
Should I pick PSIO or xstation?

Depends on which model you have and what you want to do with it. The Xstation has a slight edge in compatibility, but it completely disables the CD drive. It's also more limited in the models it works with (basically SCPH-1002 and SCPH-55x2, since it looks like you're in a PAL territory) - the PSIO will work with any model with the parallel expansion port.

For me, it was an easy choice - firstly when I got the PSIO the Xstation (and MODE) weren't out yet and also I have a large number of original discs. Although I don't have one myself I have installed a couple of Xstations for my friends and the they seem to work fine.

HE1NZ

Banned
Depends on which model you have and what you want to do with it. The Xstation has a slight edge in compatibility, but it completely disables the CD drive. It's also more limited in the models it works with (basically SCPH-1002 and SCPH-55x2, since it looks like you're in a PAL territory) - the PSIO will work with any model with the parallel expansion port.

For me, it was an easy choice - firstly when I got the PSIO the Xstation (and MODE) weren't out yet and also I have a large number of original discs. Although I don't have one myself I have installed a couple of Xstations for my friends and the they seem to work fine.
Yeah, I specifically searched for 5xxx model. I’ll probably order xstation and hopefully find someone in the vicinity who can install it

8bitpill

I made this mistake with my Dreamcast, 2002 I think it was. My junkie cousin was on the mend (repeat offender since then, and is still alive some how :messenger_tears_of_joy:). I let him borrow it thinking he would invest his time in playing some of the games instead of said choice drugs at the time. Na, he sold it to get a fix:messenger_tears_of_joy:. I still bust his balls about it till this day. It's usually every couple of years when he shows up at family gatherings while clean for said couple of months.

Just remember kids, never trust a junkie,

Don't forget to turn it upside down if or when it stops reading discs properly. Lol , that was the weirdest fix back in the day . I definitely had to rock that method after about 2 years with mine back in the late 90s.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Don't forget to turn it upside down if or when it stops reading discs properly. Lol , that was the weirdest fix back in the day . I definitely had to rock that method after about 2 years with mine back in the late 90s.

That was extremely common on the early models that had an optical pickup sled made of plastic - what happened was that the sled rode on a pair of plastic hemispheres and as they wore down one side of the pickup dropped and the laser beam stopped being at 90 degrees to the disc. This moved the signal read from the disc further and further away from the correct position to the point where it eventually missed the photodiodes in the pickup entirely.

Turning it upside down made the lens assembly drop under gravity to the point where it was nearly parallel again. Sony eventually fixed it by replacing the plastic sled with one made of diecast metal and using nylon inserts for the contact points - it was an obvious design defect, but Sony managed to avoid ever taking responsibility for it.

Sleepwalker

My friend used to open the lid and spin the disc with his finger then close it back up to get his games to read "pie_tears_joy:

DonF

I still have one of those somewhere. But the laser is busted, damn thing gave me good 6 years of fun.

Top Bottom