• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Mind's Eye Is Blind

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
How about you?

It's known as Aphantasia and it is the inability to visualize mental images. I always assumed that everyone could not visualise things in their head, apparently I'm in a small percentage that can't. I understand why so many people enjoy Books if they can actually visualise the words, it's basically just text on paper for me. Despite that, I still do like to read on occasion.

If you want to do a quick test of yourself, close your eyes and try to picture a red star. Post back what you see. I'm Number 1.

uf5brm3to1e21.png

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I don't "see" it, but I can imagine it.

I absolutely love reading, though.
When you say imagine, what do you mean? You just think of a red star but see nothing?

If so, you're the same as me. I can think of a red star and know what it looks like obviously but I can't see it when I close my eyes and try to picture it.

Tesseract

Banned
best way to visualize the regular star is to imagine yourself standing inside it

arms outstretched, vitruvian style

maybe, probably not but it works for me

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I can see it but not physically see it. It’s really two very different things.
If you had to pick a number from the above image, which one would it be?
I can occasionally lucid dream, so that's the other end of the scale I guess.
I am a big lucid dreamer also. Dreams don't seem to work in the same way, I can have very vivid and real feeling dreams. I remember a lot details, and see a lot of things when I sleep. I just am not able to do it on demand.

I can't even see anything doing that. Trust me, I've tried everything. I literally see nothing at all times. I've tried to picture all kinds of things. You sound like someone who has a very good mind's eye. Are you like Number 5/6?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
None of the above lol.
It’s like 6 but it’s not solid like real life.
I tend to picture things with my eyes open (probably due to reading) and it’s more of a get in the zone thing not at will.
giphy.gif

That sounds amazing. I have heard that some people can do that apparently. You sound like one of those that doesn't have to close their eyes to picture things. Very cool!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am number 6 and this shit, which probably suppose to be good in a context of the thread was destroying my life. Sprinkle some mentall ilness to huge fantasy and well, fuck.

Also fucking dreams, when I finally fall asleep some high level bullshit is running my head and it's visualised to perfect audio-visual detail.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I am number 6 and this shit, which probably suppose to be good in a context of the thread was destroying my life. Sprinkle some mentall ilness to huge fantasy and well, fuck.

Also fucking dreams, when I finally fall asleep some high level bullshit is running my head and it's visualised to perfect audio-visual detail.
That is a fair point. I love horror movies, and I can understand why some people get so creeped out now. Imagine if you were able to picture the monsters all the time? I don't have that problem.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
When you say imagine, what do you mean? You just think of a red star but see nothing?

If so, you're the same as me. I can think of a red star and know what it looks like obviously but I can't see it when I close my eyes and try to picture it.

The images I can think of are the same regardless of whether or not my eyes are closed. The images only popup for a fraction of a second, incredibly brief. I don't see it with any level of intensity. I can image the color of red but it does not show visually for me.

When I read, I never imagine the characters or world. I only digest the words on the page.

best way to visualize the regular star is to imagine yourself standing inside it

It's impossible for me to picture or imagine myself in the 3rd person. I get uneasy trying to do it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That is a fair point. I love horror movies, and I can understand why some people get so creeped out now. Imagine if you were able to picture the monsters all the time? I don't have that problem.
Well I saw 2 horror movies in my life, The Ring and Blair Witch. This genre is dead for me, I still have dreams from like 15 years ago. I hate it. I think it could be nice feature if you can control it, I can't.

Tesseract

Banned
I can't even see anything doing that. Trust me, I've tried everything. I literally see nothing at all times. I've tried to picture all kinds of things. You sound like someone who has a very good mind's eye. Are you like Number 5/6?
originally somewhere around 1.3 (hazy loci), beyond a 6 now thanks to various game engines and considerable effort

developed my ability for visualization over a decade, journey is documented in various threads w / books and modules and experiments (i'll try to pull them when i have time)

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The images I can think of are the same regardless of whether or not my eyes are closed. The images only popup for a fraction of a second, incredibly brief. I don't see it with any level of intensity. I can image the color of red but it does not show visually for me.

When I read, I never imagine the characters or world. I only digest the words on the page.
You sound very similar to me. The only time I can picture things is when I've been looking at the computer screen too long, but that is something completely different.

I never imagine characters or the world either, I have to get invested in the writing style. Descriptive writing totally does nothing for me and I tend to dislike it. It's why I'm never annoyed if an actor in an adaptation doesn't match the the book description.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You sound very similar to me. The only time I can picture things is when I've been looking at the computer screen too long, but that is something completely different.

I never imagine characters or the world either, I have to get invested in the writing style. Descriptive writing totally does nothing for me and I tend to dislike it. It's why I'm never annoyed if an actor in an adaptation doesn't match the the book description.

Yeah, okay that sounds pretty similar to me. I don't recall ever being put off by any movie adaptation of a book, whether it be character or world.

I don't dream visually either. I only have memories of events or feelings when I wake. I have one exception--a dream I had as a kid that was super intense. Only time I recall having a visual dream.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I had a friend that used to say he didn't enjoy books because he couldn't visualize the descriptions in his head, and I always found that weird. How can someone not imagine it? It's so natural and spontaneous to me. I wonder if it was related to this subject.

Speaking for myself, when I thought of a red star right before writing this post, I thought of a tiny red light right at the center of a dark sky.

But, like, how do I explain it? I don't even need to close my eyes to imagine that. And it's not like if I ever closed my eyes, that image would suddenly just pop there, because it wouldn't. With my eyes closed, the only thing I can physically see is darkness. But whenever I imagine something, I cen "see" it, not with my eyes, but as a mental image with shape and color. It's as easy as remembering a specific noise, smell, taste or touch. I still "feel" the taste of my last pizza in my mouth, if I imagine it. I can "hear" the sound of the wind, or of a dog's barking, or of a noisy restaurant, if I imagine it. And so on. Are you particularly sensible to any of those other senses?

It's nothing like a dream, though. In dreams, you see and hear stuff as if you were really there. It feels like reality for as long as you're dreaming. Very different.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I had a friend that used to say he didn't enjoy books because he couldn't visualize the descriptions in his head, and I always found that weird. How can someone not imagine it? It's so natural and spontaneous to me. I wonder if it was related to this subject.

Speaking for myself, when I thought of a red star right before writing this post, I thought of a tiny red light right at the center of a dark sky.

But, like, how do I explain it? I don't even need to close my eyes to imagine that. And it's not like if I ever closed my eyes, that image would suddenly just pop there, because it wouldn't. With my eyes closed, the only thing I can physically see is darkness. But whenever I imagine something, I cen "see" it, not with my eyes, but as a mental image with shape and color. It's as easy as remembering a specific noise, smell, taste or touch. I still "feel" the taste of my last pizza in my mouth, if I imagine it. I can "hear" the sound of the wind, or of a dog's barking, or of a noisy restaurant, if I imagine it. And so on. Are you particularly sensible to any of those other senses?

It's nothing like a dream, though. In dreams, you see and hear stuff as if you were really there. It feels like reality for as long as you're dreaming. Very different.
Your friend probably has it. Try sending him the video or try him with the above image. Ask him what he sees. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise it isn't normal to not picture things. I always assumed everyone was the same as myself. I thought the saying 'picture this' was just that, a saying. I didn't think it meant literally.

Your post is very interesting. It's unique how you visualise. As for my other senses, my hearing is probably my best. I tend to be very sensitive to noises and I've always had very good hearing. Taste is pretty strong too, I often have a strong aftertaste with many foods.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You know, I have always found it incredibly boring when an author drolls on and on about the appearance of a character or setting. Any writing I do, I tend to skip over this type of writing as well. That makes more sense now.

I don't think I am full blown aphanasia though, because I can imagine Edward Norton's face from promo shots of Fight Club. But again, it's like a flash image and it's gone. There's no real detail, kind of a blur.

Same as the user above. It's the same whether my eyes are closed or open.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
It's impossible for me to picture or imagine myself in the 3rd person. I get uneasy trying to do it.

uneasy how, sick?

you aren't necessarily trying to imagine yourself, simplified representations suffice especially if adherent to literature (meaning 2d or 3d computer graphics)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
uneasy how, sick?

you aren't necessarily trying to imagine yourself, simplified representations suffice especially if adherent to literature (meaning 2d or 3d computer graphics)

Dunno how to describe it. Like my brain actively fighting it? I can think of it when it's someone else, just not myself. Maybe because my brain is trying to retrieve high details levels and just can't compute?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I have always found it incredibly boring when an author drolls on and on about the appearance of a character or setting. Any writing I do, I tend to skip over this type of writing as well. That makes more sense now.

I don't think I am full blown aphanasia though, because I can imagine Edward Norton's face from promo shots of Fight Club. But again, it's like a flash image and it's gone. There's no real detail, kind of a blur.
Yeah, I always wondered why books were written in that way for the longest time. It makes a lot of sense when you realise other people can actually see those descriptions whilst they read. I also tend to skip over parts like yourself. I love Stephen King as an author, but his writing is like this at times. He goes really descriptive. I read Misery after seeing the film so I actually pictured Kathy Bates as I was reading.

You are definitely slightly better at it than me. I can't even see flash images, either.

bitbydeath

Yeah, I’m writing a novel right now and do have descriptions but I don’t go overboard to writing about a single thing for paragraphs/pages on end. I think a lot of authors do that to simply get their word count up but I don’t care. I rather have something that flows and is easy to read.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Dunno how to describe it. Like my brain actively fighting it? I can think of it when it's someone else, just not myself. Maybe because my brain is trying to retrieve high details levels and just can't compute?
that sounds right, image resolution can be tricky since what's going on inside our minds is very different / person (i suspect, so does feynman)

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
the nature of imagination like computation must be explored experimentally

it's all classical tho insofar as i can tell

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Your friend probably has it. Try sending him the video or try him with the above image. Ask him what he sees. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise it isn't normal to not picture things. I always assumed everyone was the same as myself. I thought the saying 'picture this' was just that, a saying. I didn't think it meant literally.
Unfortunately, I no longer meet/ talk with that person for years.

Your post is very interesting. It's unique how you visualise. As for my other senses, my hearing is probably my best. I tend to be very sensitive to noises and I've always had very good hearing. Taste is pretty strong too, I often have a strong aftertaste with many foods.
But can you imagine them? If an author describes you a place not only visually, but through others senses as well, what kind of effect does it have on you?

I'll write a random example (excuse me if my english isn't good enough for descriptive prose. It's not my main language):

I turned off my laptop and stretched my legs and arms for quite a while. No longer distracted by the computer's bright screen and noisy fans, I looked at the window and faced the blue, clean sky. Opened the lash, and a breath of air refreshed my lungs, with the birds singing amidst the leafs. Then came the scent of flowers and the evening's warmth. I had imprisioned myself in my room for so long, that I forgot what it feels like to be with nature. My legs were brimming with energy, my hands eager to touch the soil and let it slip through the fingers.

A couple of friends passed by on the pavement bellow. They were crossing the street into my direction, and I waved at them with a sudden burst of energy. "Forget our plans, it's a good day to go to the beach!" And I immediately longed to step on the sinking sand, and swim and submerse myself deep into the water, and smell and taste the salt on the air.

Even if you can't "visualize" this, can you imagine any of the other feelings? The kinetic (the sensation of moving your body), the touch and warmth, the pleasurable smells, the sound of fans and birds, the taste of the salty water?

To be honest, even I find long descriptive passages boring as well, because I'm not always in the mood to slow down and "feel" every little detail. Especially when it starts to drag.
Interesting, it feels very natural to me. Almost like imagining a photo of myself, or my reflection at the mirror, and "copy-and-pasting" it into any random, imagined location.

Last edited:
How about you?

It's known as Aphantasia and it is the inability to visualize mental images. I always assumed that everyone could not visualise things in their head, apparently I'm in a small percentage that can't. I understand why so many people enjoy Books if they can actually visualise the words, it's basically just text on paper for me. Despite that, I still do like to read on occasion.

If you want to do a quick test of yourself, close your eyes and try to picture a red star. Post back what you see. I'm Number 1.

uf5brm3to1e21.png

Salvia causes intense hallucinations, they are more of the "minds eye" type of hallucinations rather than the typical "the wallpaper is melting" type you'd get with mushrooms or acid. I wonder what you'd experience if you were on Salvia?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How about you?

uf5brm3to1e21.png

I see 6.

Does that affect your memories? For example, if you try to close your eyes and remember what your mom/dad/best friend/dog/cat's face looks like, could you? Or does that only apply to imagined objects?

How does this affect your enjoyment of audio? Can you imagine new forms of music?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I see 6.

Does that affect your memories? For example, if you try to close your eyes and remember what your mom/dad/best friend/dog/cat's face looks like, could you? Or does that only apply to imagined objects?

How does this affect your enjoyment of audio? Can you imagine new forms of music?
I have a hard time memorizing detailed facial features.

About imagining new music, shouldn't that be how many composers create new sound pieces? Same for any artist of any kind? Sometimes the details come spontanenously or acidentally, and they help shape your work into something different. And sometimes you just imagine it with its own unique twist before putting it on paper.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
To be honest, even I find long descriptive passages boring as well, because I'm not always in the mood to slow down and "feel" every little detail. Especially when it starts to drag.

Interesting, it feels very natural to me. Almost like imagining a photo of myself, or my reflection at the mirror, and "copy-and-pasting" it into any random, imagined location.

Visual depictions of characters is never useful for me unless there is a context, like the club foot of the main character in the Maugham novel 'Of Human Bondage'. I've never found a passage or prose that added value for me. The hole in the main characters cheek in 'Fight Club' would be another exception. I've never been able to visualize what a character in a book looks like so it's always come across as a way to add flowery language.

I can conjure an image of my reflection, but anything else, feels uncomfortable. Like if I try to see myself from the perspective of a playable character in a 3rd person video game.

I think if I had a mental sense that is strong, it would be ability to recall music easily. I almost always have some tune in my head but I also listen to a ton of music, so that kind of makes sense.

GeorgPrime

Banned
How about you?

uf5brm3to1e21.png

Iam number 6 easy.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I see 6.

Yes, it does affect my memories. I can't picture people that have passed away, I have to rely on photographs of them. If I met you and tried to picture your face seconds later, I would not be able to do it. I could obviously remember features about your face , but not be able to see it in a visual form of any kind. I can't picture my parents or close friends.

Music is different. I can hear my internal voice and everything, I sing songs in my head all the time. Another crazy thing for you guys, some people don't have an inner monologue as they think. That to me would be even scarier, especially as I read things.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Lol , I don't think its as vivid as you're imagining.

Like I can think of imagery, but is super opaque and distant. More quick flashes than anything else. Not exactly Virtual Reality lmao
It depends. I've read about some people that can picture crazy realistic stuff whilst other people get flashes of images like yourself. I am probably hyping it up too much in my head, but I'm just jealous of you guys.

jealous real housewives of new york GIF

Also, 'imagining' I can't IMAGINE anything. God damn it teezzy teezzy

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesseract

Banned
this stuff helped me, ymmv

i found significant correspondence between technical drafting and visualization, also grammar and math since language and logic are inextricable

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I can hear my internal voice and everything, I sing songs in my head all the time. Another crazy thing for you guys, some people don't have an inner monologue as they think. That to me would be even scarier, especially as I read things.
Wow, I can't imagine that. My thinking process a lot of the time is through language, either by inner mologue or (more often) by imagining myself exposing my ideas or thoughts to a passive listener.
It depends. I've read about some people that can picture crazy realistic stuff whilst other people get flashes of images like yourself. I am probably hyping it up too much in my head, but I'm just jealous of you guys.
Yeah, it's not free vacation or anywhere close to that. Imagining those things is usually a tease more than anything, like remembering past moments and wanting to experience them again, or thinking how it would be like to be in a situation. It's usually simplistic and fleeting, always distant compared to the real thing, and thinking too much about it will lose its fun or become tiring eventually.

bucyou

this stuff helped me, ymmv

i found significant correspondence between technical drafting and visualization, also grammar and math since language and logic are inextricable

makes sense, my mind is biased towards analytics, so much so the creative/artistic side is drowned out.

but hey, at least i entertain myself by figuring out the probability percentage that the guy in the right lane is going to cut me off when im driving

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I can't imagine that. My thinking process a lot of the time is through language, either by inner mologue or (more often) by imagining myself exposing my ideas or thoughts to a passive listener.
Yeah, it's a scary thought. Although sometimes I do often wish I could shut off that little voice in my head at times. I'm always overthinking every little thing, and it's like the positive/negative thoughts compete with each other. Still, I wouldn't want to not be able to think to myself at all. It's a lot of times how I calm myself down. You can't just randomly talk to yourself out loud in public, that would look odd. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

By the way, to answer your earlier questions. I can't experience any of those sensations on just text alone or thinking about them. I know what they would probably feel like but I don't feel it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom