• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My family doesn't use the other F-word"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

Sounds like self serving nonsense. "Genetic Lottery"? More kids are fat than in the past and we need to work much harder to reverse this trend.

The woman should be banning foods not words.

They're blaming genetics so they aren't responsible for their own bodies. If you look like the michelin man, that's not genetics, it's you.

Miletius

Reading the article and it makes a good point. BMI is not a good indicator of the overall health of a person especially when they are in a growth stage of their life. We need to stop trying to categorize everybody using one broad measurement and tailor our tools better.

Fat is a subjective term, trying to scientifically tie it to a flawed measure stick isn't doing anybody any favors. I'm all for educating children on the obesity epidemic but if we do so we should not be doing it callously.

I'm overweight. It's my fault. Fuck it, I'm fat.

My kids are not. Why? For one, I don't want them to have to regret it like I do. Two, I WATCH WHAT THEY EAT.

I've actually almost gotten into trouble for it.

i've been raised to the tune that junk food is bad for you and can only be had during special occasions.

naturally that all backfired when i was free in college.

:(

And now all of a sudden carbs is bad for you? Shit is so confusing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In my household, we've taken it even further. We don't describe what anyone else looks like.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Mention weight or body shape among my family and the reaction can be nuclear, unleashing a tsunami of tears, screams and "I hate you!"
This is a bit extreme, regardless of your weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom