• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MWC 2011: Glu Mobile Shows Off Guitar Hero on Sony Ericsson Xperia Play

yurinka

Glu Mobile, one of the biggest publishers and developers in mobile phone talks about Xperia Play Phone, and it addition to support the device (like every major mobile phone publisher does with every new handset) they demo some of their first games for the device.

I think it's pretty interesting because he talks about how mandatory is to have proper controls to replicate console like gaming experience in a mobile phone, and why Xperia Play (and NGP) will be able to do it (unlike iOS devices).

http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/mob...s-guitar-hero-sony-ericsson-xperia-play-phone

As mobile phone game developer, when designing and developing a game that will be ported across hundreds of handsets you have to consider that most of them will have shitty controls: just a few buttons placed in a really weird setting, buttons with a huge delay, unresponsive touch screens, shitty motion sensors, touchscreen interfaces with in-screen buttons and dual analogs that hide most of the action, enemies, items etc affecting the gameplay...

This issue is going to be addressed properly in smartphone gaming for first time wth Playstation Suite games in Xperia Play and NGP, because they also offer traditional controls. So as a player, it will be a huge deal for console-like mobile phone games vs iOS devices.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting mostly because it suggests they have already started reaching out to get new partners on board for Android-based games. Perhaps non-PSOne stuff might be available sooner than expected.

Kaz Hirai made it sound like lots of things on the partner and submission side were still TBD, but I guess once they do make decisions the lag between that and content availability on the store could possibly be quite short (since devs would just basically just have to take their Android games, perhaps plug in some interface code, dot some other is and cross some other ts, et voila).

yurinka

shagg_187 said:
BU-BU-BU GUITAR HERO IS DEAD!
Glu handled the mobile phone versions. I assume this would be a port of the last one they released. Or who knows, maybe as they licensed the IP for this other market they can continue releasing new Guitar Hero games.
gofreak said:
Interesting mostly because it suggests they have already started reaching out to get new partners on board for Android-based games. Perhaps non-PSOne stuff might be available sooner than expected.

Kaz Hirai made it sound like lots of things on the partner and submission side were still TBD, but I guess once they do make decisions the lag between that and content availability on the store could possibly be quite short (since devs would just basically just have to take their Android games, perhaps plug in some interface code, dot some other is and cross some other ts, et voila).
As an experienced mobile phone game developer (5 years) I can tell you no matter who you are, that if you release a decent mobile phone you'll get instant support from some dozens or hundreds mobile phone game companies.

Most of these companies (like the one were I work) already ported our games to some dozens of previous Sony Ericsson phones, so we have a good relationship from them. This include to get prototypes from them, in order to have ready games for the release of the device to ensure it will have a good game support since the start.

So expect tons of games from EA, Gameloft, Glu, Digital Chocolate and the other main mobile phone game publishers and developers who already developed games for similar handsets.

Some carriers and mobile phone manufacturers had their own Q&A checklists that every game would need to fullfill to publish games. I think the PlayStation suite will be more strict, but not console like levels because they are going to cover a ton of Android devices. I think it's going to be something like Minis in terms of Q&A (more forgiving than in consoles but with some minimums of required quality unlike in iOS devices).

These controls are a huge deal for developers and publishers, but I think the extra Q&A would be the only thing that would stop a massive support saturating the store with unfinished and amateurish games like happened in Appstore.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
yurinka said:
As an experienced mobile phone game developer (5 years) I can tell you no matter who you are, that if you release a decent mobile phone you'll get instant support from some dozens or hundreds mobile phone game companies.

Most of these companies (like the one were I work) already ported our games to some dozens of previous Sony Ericsson phones, so we have a good relationship from them. This include to get prototypes from them, in order to have ready games for the release of the device to ensure it will have a good game support since the start.

Maybe SE won't be so useless afterall in fast-tracking some engagement from partners that SCE wouldn't be so familiar with... :) I guess for now they're talking with some existing SCE and SE partners, but I'm more interested about what open avenues they'll present.

He does talk somewhat vaguely about certification processes Sony has. I think it will be kind of minis-like, but I hope without any fee - with a pure profit share, and perhaps a little more easily accessible from a submission POV.

I think where Sony has to try and go with this is to build up such a volume of users and trade on the store that it becomes the first logical stop for devs working on Android games. The fact it's a more controlled environment won't hurt since it should lower the workload for devs to something more like what they deal with on other platforms, but they'll also need volume to back that up - any handset manufacturer can come up with their own store with their own rules, the question is what audience do you have.

Side note, but there's a brief glimpse at a white version of the phone there too. Personally I think black looks much better though.

SYFQo.png

yurinka

gofreak said:
Maybe SE won't be so useless afterall in fast-tracking some engagement from partners that SCE wouldn't be so familiar with... :) I guess for now they're talking with some existing SCE and SE partners, but I'm more interested about what open avenues they'll present.

He does talk somewhat vaguely about certification processes Sony has. I think it will be kind of minis-like, but I hope without any fee - with a pure profit share, and perhaps a little more easily accessible from a submission POV.

I think where Sony has to try and go with this is to build up such a volume of users and trade on the store that it becomes the first logical stop for devs working on Android games. The fact it's a more controlled environment won't hurt since it should lower the workload for devs to something more like what they deal with on other platforms, but they'll also need volume to back that up - any handset manufacturer can come up with their own store with their own rules, the question is what audience do you have.

Side note, but there's a brief glimpse at a white version of the phone there too. Personally I think black looks much better though.

SYFQo.png
I'm pretty sure Playstation Suite will work pretty well once supported by a number of mobile phones and tablets, with a good game library and decent prices. Specially if they port it to iOS too, and maybe even PS3 too. Windows Phone has a shitty market share, so I think they will skip it.

Some notes more about mobile phone development

In mobile phones, unlike in consoles you don't need to be a licensed developer, certified by the 1st party who makes the device and to buy devkits and similar stuff. iOS devices as I remember is the exception, but here you only have to fill a couple of things and to pay a 1 time $99 fee and to buy a Mac to compile the game. In consoles there are some burocracy and expensive cost for indie developers related to that. This is reduced for Minis, but you have to buy a PSP devkit (cheaper for Minis project).

In Minis, like in console games, you have to submit your game to ESRB, PEGI and similar. This is expensive for smaller studios because you have to pay some thousands of dollars for each game. ESRB, PEGI and similar are skipped in mobile phones.

In normal mobile phones games were sold in shops handled by carriers or in some cases by platform holders, like Nokia Samsung or Apple. These stores are made in a way that only the ones that appeared in the top places (first positions in top selling rankings, featured games list, etc) had visibility so they get the better sales. And the one who controlled this store asked you for a percentage of the sales (generally 30%-50%). Same happens in PSN, XBLA, etc

Sony Ericsson in the mobile phone market
When facing this mobile phone games market with NGP and Xperia Play Sony Ericsson is key and to bring the Playstation brand because:
-They have like 10 years of experience in this market.
-It includes to be a Top 5 worldwide handsets seller LTD, unlike Apple.
-Good relationships with major carriers in all the main countries around the world since somes years ago.
-Good relationships with tons of game publishers and developers since some years ago.
-Ports done in 1 day of Android games and other titles from previous handsets with similar features.
-Cheaper hardware development because some stuff was already included in previous handsets (wifi, bluetooth, battery, etc etc).
-Like everyone involved in Android game development (publishers, developers, Google, gamers), they knew it lacked a good store and business model for this platform.

Main places where Sony can fuck it up with PS Suite in this market
-Expensive prices for games.
-No game demos.
-Short game library (at least when starting).
-Only supported by a small number of Android 2.3+ devices (at least when starting)

Main places where Sony can fuck it up to get 3rd party (I think all PS Suite games are going to be 3rd party mobile phone games + PSOne games) support for PS Suite
-Too strict and or expensive console-like licensing and Q&A when compared to mobile phone game development.
-Games being rated by ESRB, PEGI, etc.
-To don't include a search by publisher in the store, like happens in AppStore unlike in most carrier stores. It gives more visibility to the games, specially to the ones from smaller studios.
-To have a difficult UI in the store (Wiiware, DSiware, some stores from carriers).
-To don't have a easy,fast to use payment method (they have to copy Appstore here).
-To don't have a easy and fast to navigate UI menu flow and loading times in the store to boost the number of game downloads and impulsive sales, doesn't matter if they are just demos (they have to copy Appstore here, sluggish PSN slow loading sucks).

These 2 last points were the best addition from Apple to the mobile phone gaming market.

Top Bottom