• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possessor by Cronenberg's son, it was...im not sure actually, I kind of got in to it in the first hour but then got out of it and felt disinterested by the end

YGwjCwX.jpg

I thought this was a better movie than Infinity Pool

Bragr

Banned
I watched both of the Knives Out movies.

Knives Out
I had no idea what this movie was and didn't really care, but I was pleasantly surprised. It feels like a homage to '80s and '90s murder mystery shows, like a more adult-oriented Hardy Boys kinda thing. A famous author has died, and it's up to Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) to figure out what has happened. He plays an American and has a terrible accent that sounds like a British guy trying to be American. But it's fun to follow him around as he questions everyone, and as you try to piece together who did what. It all takes place in a big house, and it's filmed and edited really well, everything looks fancy and colorful, a lot of little details everywhere and there is always something going on, it's fun and brisk. It has a large cast of famous actors, from Ana de Armas to Jamie Lee Curtis to Chris Evans. It's tense and interesting and I ended up really liking this one.

Great movie. 8 out of 10.

4da5HptjSYFFKBNHjB9vKe.jpg

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
This time they are on an island, and the cast is different apart from Daniel Craig who is back as the main detective. This time a billionaire who seems very Elon Musk-ish (Edward Norton) does some stupid shit and things go to hell as Craig must navigate all the new people and read them and figure things out. I expected this to be significantly worse than the first, as I thought it would be a hard movie to replicate, but they pulled it off. The mystery approach still works, although not quite as well as the first movie. But it manages to separate itself from the first movie enough to where it doesn't feel trite, the new setting is great and the new cast is great.

A good follow-up. 7 out of 10.

GeekyDad

Apple_TV_Tetris_key_art_graphic_header_4_1_show_home.jpg.og.jpg

too hollywoody, corny, and melodramatic for me

WE WANT COCA COLA

so bad
Nothing interesting about signing contracts, obtaining rights, etc 2nd half was a fucking drag
Yeah. I'd say it's a weird trend, but it's not. I think companies (like Nike) are trying to see how far they can go with advertising. Just the idea of that movie Air is so offensive. They're now basically trying to lure viewers into paying for their advertising. I'm supposed to feel triumph for Nike because of their success with a sneaker? Are you shittin' me? And Tetris seems to fit into that category. This isn't necessarily new, but I don't remember ever seeing it so blatantly before.

Finally saw Contact after recs on here for sci fi movies. It did not disappoint! Definitely think it’s very realistic but I still prefer Interstellar since the movie actually moreso takes place in space.

Interstellar almost feels like a spiritual successor to Contact (could even pass off as a direct sequel tbh). Also crazy to think Matthew Mcconaghey was in both - he really came full circle being the lead in Interstellar.

If you’re into interstellar type sci fi - 9/10

Last edited:

Andyliini

John Wick: Chapter 4
The prerelease hype was something else, but for me, the film did not live up to promises. The action scenes were great and well directed and choreographed, and I also liked the ultra-stylized look in most of the shots. The biggest problem of the film was it's just too long. While action was high-octane, it became mind-numbing by the end. They should have cut at least 30 minutes of the film for better pacing. The dialogue was almost as big problem, especially for Reeves' lines, which mostly consisted of one word lines. Not to mention the magic-kevlar suit, that could stop any bullet from point-plank range, pull those bullets away from unprotected targets, such as hands, feet and face. It even protected the user from fall damage. I enjoyed it for the most of time, but after the 2 hour mark, I just hoped it would end.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Being a Nintendo fan for vast majority of my life, of course I had to see it. I'm not really a fan of animated kids films, but I had fun with this one. The animation was top notch, and voice acting also worked thorought. Pacing was hectic though, and the script was nothing to write home about, but that's about all the negatives I can give. The characters I love were portrayed well on screen, and I was smiling all the way through. It sounded like the rest of the audience were having fun as well. I watched the film in 3D, which worked well. Can recommend for Mario fans. Oh, and the trailers really underlined Chris Pratt, he did a great job as Mario. Jack Black as Bowser stole he show though.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
I guess this was made to appease the fans who did not like the previous movies with it's farfetched story. This films brings the first two games to screen and even recreates some scenes from those games shot-to-shot. It's a sad thing that the film is otherwise completely unnecessary. It does not bring anything new to the table, while featuring sub-par CGI, generic action and cast mostly picked from CW shows. The film is not even that scary, and reverts to cheap jump-scares to create tension. All the familiar characters are there, so maybe some game fans could be entertained by this? I was really not.

3m71yTl.jpg

Trumbo: A

The movie is about a Hollywood screenwriter named Dalton Trumbo who was communist. The movie takes place around 1945 to 1970. He was blacklisted by Hollywood. This movie was entertaining. It told a good story with a great performance from Bryan Crayston. Not to mention the cast did a fantastic job too. Beautifully shot too.

qLFNbDm.jpg

Candyman (1994): A

I saw the new movie when it first came out. It was OK at best but the movie was very well directed.

First time watching the original Candyman and I absolutely loved it. It was the perfect length. Great script combined with great performances. Not to mention the horror was actually unsettling.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Creed I, II & III

The first two are interesting enough takes on the Rocky Balboa universe. They're kind of predictable but decent movies.

The third one...it's same old, same old and I was surprised by the time jump the movie does. Plus, no Balboa. My least favourite of the three.

In my opinion Stallone became a better actor as he aged, and seeing him being left out the cast (by it's own choice) hits the movie.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

3m71yTl.jpg

Trumbo: A

The movie is about a Hollywood screenwriter named Dalton Trumbo who was communist. The movie takes place around 1945 to 1970. He was blacklisted by Hollywood. This movie was entertaining. It told a good story with a great performance from Bryan Crayston. Not to mention the cast did a fantastic job too. Beautifully shot too.

Yeah, this has become another one of those movies I keep coming back to. It's special for sure.

Creed I, II & III

The first two are interesting enough takes on the Rocky Balboa universe. They're kind of predictable but decent movies.

The third one...it's same old, same old and I was surprised by the time jump the movie does. Plus, no Balboa. My least favourite of the three.

In my opinion Stallone became a better actor as he aged, and seeing him being left out the cast (by it's own choice) hits the movie.
I really thought the fighting scenes in Creed 3 were groundbreaking. They need to hire MBJ to direct some superhero movies with a similar style. You can see the anime influence through and through and it works so well!

Lunarorbit

Spin me Round with Alison brie and abrey plaza. What a weird movie. It was a little funny, kinda uncomfortable, and slightly entertaining.

Didn't expect an epic man baby scene to be the thrust of the movie but here we are

Kev Kev

Jumanji (the two new ones with Kevin Hart and The Rock).

The first one was great. Genuinely funny and I loved how they handled the characters and plot devices, like it being a video game rather than a board game.

The second one wasn't nearly as good, but it could have been. The way they handled the characters was so weird. They had a winning formula in the first and then they just turned it inside out. For what? To subvert expectations? The movie suffered considerably bc of that, imo. Still tho, they salvaged it by the end and overall we enjoyed it.

I wouldn't go back for a third, honestly. But if they do one, just keep DeVito and Glover out of it. They are great and all, but I really liked the setup of characters they had in the first one.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Dick Jewell

Y942NzO.jpg

I'm actually in the middle of watching it now -- at the 1:23 mark -- but at this point I started cracking up laughing uncontrollably and had to post.

If this guy was truly this fucking stupid, then yeah, he shoulda went to prison for life, not for murder, but for stupidity. I mean, in certain instances, harsh penalties should be doled out for this level of stupidity. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I live in GA, but I don't know or remember much about this incident. But holy shit, was he truly this much of a fucking moron?! At first, I was questioning my respect for Eastwood, as this just didn't feel like the level of quality he's offered in the past. But as the story progressed, it was the character I suspected more than the movie itself in terms of quality. I thought maybe Clint was taking a mindless stab at "rednecks" and the south. But this character, man... holy shit.

Time to dive back in...

Pelao

I went to see Suzume no Tojimari last night.
Beautiful movie. Not Makoto Shinkai's best, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The animation as always was spectacular.
suzume_newposter.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful movie. Not Makoto Shinkai's best, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The animation as always was spectacular.
suzume_newposter.jpg
i was going to see it today but only late night showings. i want to go see mario soon so if there are any earlier showings of suzume i will try catch that too. if not then hopefully digital release soon.

bitbydeath

Shotgun Wedding, easy to watch action movie, similar vibes to Sandra Bullocks - The Lost City.

And Jenny from the block still got it.
8wdub9kdazea1.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
Halfway through Seven Kings Must Die right now (paused it to make food) - this series has been unbelievable and the film so far has been fantastic!

Spaceman292

Banned
suzume_newposter.jpg
Just watched this. Absolutely loved it. I honestly think Shinkai's movies are all equally good.

GreenAlien

Women of the Prehistoric Planet
MV5BMjNjZWUxM2MtN2E0NS00ODRlLWI3MDYtN2I4YmM5ODNlM2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I was in the mood for seeing a bunch of poorly dressed women acting like savages, but the only neanderthal are men.
Unfortunately, no savage planet women are attacking female space invaders in this movie. False advertising. :messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I tried to watch Elvis for about 40mins but i didn’t like it. The story, the characters, the weird movie style which made it seem more cartoony than an episode of Wacky Races, I don’t know what anyone would ever see in it.
I give this one a 0/10.

Last edited:
Started "We need to talk about Kevin" but fell asleep. Need to finish it today before my Netflix ends.

Going to rewatch Rosemary's Baby and Mulholland Drive today as well.

Edit: didn't watch Rosemary's Baby or Mulholland Drive. I will soon. I fell asleep again :messenger_tears_of_joy: I finished "Kevin" and watched "The Banshees of Inisherin" though.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I've watched it a jillion and one times, but it wasn't until this last time that I caught the relevance of a passing comment from the prosecutor in the beginning of the movie.

Bcicr6i.jpg

Sully (Connery's character) tells the judge that the bar fight he was in was instigated by the guy he punched out when the guy said something nasty about his mother being Native American. Then, the prosecutor rebuts by reciting a laundry list of Sully's past arrest that date back from when he was first naturalized in the U.S. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I just never caught that before for whatever reason.

Good shit.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
MV5BYWVlNjUxNzctZTI3NC00MDMzLWFlMjAtYmI2NWE5ZWJhYjZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

Very good movie, quite the gem find on Netflix. Pretty intriuging plot that keeps your attention, natural and well-acted performances, Dornan & Mackie impressed me a lot here.

It really shined for me in the visuals department too.
Have you watched the writer-directors' other movies? Moorehead and Benson. I'm a big fan of their work. "Grounded" sci-fi based on relationships. Not to hype it up too much, but Synchronic was actually my least-favorite of theirs

Have you watched the writer-directors' other movies? Moorehead and Benson. I'm a big fan of their work. "Grounded" sci-fi based on relationships. Not to hype it up too much, but Synchronic was actually my least-favorite of theirs
Seen a couple it turns out. Had no idea this director did Spring and Resolution also, I loved both of those movies.

Spring in particular totally blew me away.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just watched Crimes of the Future (2022) after being remind of it by NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt 's recent post.

Yep, Cronenberg still has what it takes to make weird, incredibly uncomfortable films! Good for him.

One thing that kind of takes me out the experience, though, is how the characters in his movies tend to be complete weirdos, interacting with other weirdos. It'd be interesting to watch more "normal" people go through what the characters in his movies do. Or maybe the point is that they're weirdos because of the situations they're put in.

Anyway, his stuff is thought-provoking at the very least, which is not that easy to come by. I'd like to check out some of his son's movies now.

-----

I also watched about 30 minutes of Terrifier 2 before skipping around to the end. Nasty, reprehensible, overlong film. I'm amazed it got such good critic reviews. It reminded me that I'm not up for gore for it's own sake anymore. Crimes of the Future and Terrifier 2 are actually good contrasts in that regard: The former seems to have more on its mind than the violence on the screen, whereas the latter is pure spectacle.

sedg87

Banned
Been watching a lot of oldie horror films: Dracula (1958), Vampire Lovers, House That Dripped Blood, Vault of Horror, and The Haunting.

LostDonkey

I watched Villain (2020) on Netflix last night.

UK gangster ish flick about an older brother who gets out of prison, younger brother has got in some shit and he has to help him out while trying to reconnect with his own daughter as well.

Mindless fun. Got poor reviews but I kinda liked it. Sick of the same over produced Hollywood crap so it made a nice change to watch something from home.

8/10

Billbofet

Creed 3
Meh. Everything in it was solid, but it only had two boxing matches in the entire movie and both lacked any weight or excitement.
I'll watch any Rocky/Creed movie for the final fight, and this one just didn't work on me with its "dream-sequence" approach.
Glad I watched it, but it was like a B-

Super Mario film- Took the kids to it and they loved it. I also smiled all the way through. Sure its pretty light on story and pretty fast paced, but the visuals, music, and voice acting were excellent.

The Little Mermaid (1989)- Haven't seen it in over 30 years, I actually watched this in the theaters as a kid then. Still a classic, this movie was the start of the Disney Renaissance, my daughter loves it.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Came here to warn against Ghosted since I've had ads for it all week everywhere, and it's one the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Chris Evans is a total dweeb like usual, but that hispanic lady can't act for shit and the whole thing was just pure cringe. Only thing worse than the shit acting and the retarded plot was the need to have some lame song playing in the background of every scene. Damn this was atroicious. 3/10

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

I wasn't a fan of Synchronic (gave it a 5/10 on iMDB, only remember it being pretty stupid as soon as you think about it for 5 seconds) but their other movies are even worse. The one with those time bubbles was probably the worst. At least Synchronic had professional actors.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I wasn't a fan if Synchronic (gave it a 5/10 on iMDB, only remember it being pretty stupid as soon as you think about it for 5 seconds) but their other movies are even worse. The one with those time bubbles was probably the worst. At least Synchronic had professional actors.
I'm guessing they're very marmite, so fair enough you don't like em. "Spring" not included, though. That movie is one-of-a-kind and an objective 😉 success

kurisu_1974

I'm guessing they're very marmite, so fair enough you don't like em. "Spring" not included, though. That movie is one-of-a-kind and an objective 😉 success

I don't remember much about that one, but I scored it 6/10 which makes it my favorite movie of those guys ;)

Edit:

The part were they dubbed the movie with dialogue from The Room had me crying.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Freedom Fighters: The Ray
I have nothing to say about this really. It was as generic as a DC animated film can get, and it really shows that this was originally a series of Web-TV shorts. Didn't even bring anything to Arrowverse where it takes place. Not even all of the Arrowverse actors returned to their roles.

Renfield
I knew exactly what it was going to be when I saw the trailer first. The movie is stupid, but also fun in it's own way. Wasn't too lengthy either, so I was never bored by it. Would watch it again when it releases on Blu-Ray.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Renfield
I knew exactly what it was going to be when I saw the trailer first. The movie is stupid, but also fun in it's own way. Wasn't too lengthy either, so I was never bored by it. Would watch it again when it releases on Blu-Ray.

Good to hear. I have the day off so I was thinking about seeing this in a matinee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom