• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 Players Aren't Happy With "Predatory" Premium Store DLC

Draugoth

Gold Member
deadlyalliancescorpion.jpg

Mortal Kombat 1 players aren't happy about the high price of DLC in the premium store and the lack of information about whether items can be earned in the Shrine or if they're exclusively DLC.

One post on the subreddit from Redditor Jiggsteruno calls the premium store "predatory" and points out that some skins in the premium store actually costs more than a whole character does in the Kombat Pack, and that it's a huge increase from Mortal Kombat 11, which sold some of its skins in packs of 3 for around $6, working out to $2 per character. Add to that the fact that these skins are in rotation and not always available, and it's easy to see why the sentiment is echoed in other posts on the subreddit, like this one from Doomerator.

u2h1D0V.png

Another big issue that players have with the store is that it doesn't give any indication as to whether something you buy there can actually be earned somewhere else in the game. Case in point, the Indiana Jones Johnny Cage skin, which can actually be randomly obtained in the Shrine, yet is being offered up as DLC.

This was theorised to be the case last week when some players discovered that Dark Sindel, who was one of the items on offer in the store, was also in the Shrine, leaving some feeling burned about buying something that could be unlocked without any warning of such. Some players on the subreddit are calling for a tag to be added to these items so that anyone buying knows that they can unlock it in the Shrine with enough patience and luck, but it's not clear if this is something NetherRealm plans on adding.

GreatnessRD

Gamers should have boycotted DLC when it first came out so that it wouldn't gain traction. Now it's too late, and companies are going to gouge us every way they can.
DLC used to fine. It used to be a complete package post a game of substance. Then the digital children grew up and that's all they know which has brought, alas... here.

Kataploom

Gold Member
$10 for a skin? Fuck, just don't buy it, nobody is forcing you to. If people buy it the price is right, so let's show then they're wrong

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with good DLC, just look at Separate Ways for RE4R and Future Redeemed for Xenoblade 3 and up coming Shadow of the Erdtree DLC for Eden Ring.

If it has satisfying base game then there nothing wrong with DLC that adds more to already complete game.
Witcher 3 is another good example.

IMO it’s a shit skin considering how good the other skins scorpion gets in the game so far lol.

I’ll gladly toss $10 for a sick raiden, reptile, liu kang, or sub zero skin.

$10 for a “legendary” skin? Seems fine to me.

It's not shit, it's his Deadly Alliance skin from the past game. And no, its not fine to pay $10 for a stupid costume of a single character.

Kusarigama

I am so glad that this is getting the criticism that it right fully deserves. They should reduce the dragon crystal requirement and increase the way we can earn dragon crystals in game.

Also just let us purchase a single palette of a costume, like just default yellow or black palette of the Deadly Alliance costume for Scorpion.

As of now, for reaching profile level 100 & beating the story mode you earn a total of 1600 crystals. Each base roster character mastery gives another 200 krystals, for 22 base characters reaching character mastery(it would need >150hrs of pure grinding) we get 4400 crystals. And that's it 6000 crystals after about >150 hrs of pure pure grinding.

This is whack, considering they tried doing this when Mortal Kombat 11 came out and the community hit back hard, they made it slightly better and now they are back to their scummy practices. It doesn't matter if it is WB games mandate or NRS' own shenanigans, the fan base is suffering.

A.Romero

I've been disappointed with fighting games' business model for a while. I don't play competitively anymore so I don't mind waiting for a long time until the full version is on discount but it does seem a greedy approach.

Luckily Guilty Gear came out on gamepass and had the chance to try it. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid for it.

I must confess I became a part of the problem by buying DBZ Fighterz characters, though. The game is good and they seem to be fair prices when they are on sale but I know I'm just incentivizing this model becoming the norm.

At least fighting games got a second chance but I wish it wasn't at this price.

Dthomp

$10 for a character ain’t fair either. The game comes with more than 7 and all the features.

Most gamers are just to young to remember that in the old days we got "Game of the Year" editions a year later that would include every bit of DLC packaged in there. Now every game is just drooling to have infinite DLC that is overpriced in the hopes that the playerbase just says "I want it anyway" and buys it

Synless

Most gamers are just to young to remember that in the old days we got "Game of the Year" editions a year later that would include every bit of DLC packaged in there. Now every game is just drooling to have infinite DLC that is overpriced in the hopes that the playerbase just says "I want it anyway" and buys it
I have had several fighters I was waiting for complete editions and it never happened. I refuse to buy the character packs. Principle.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
People are paying hundreds of millions of dollars for an incomplete space game, I don’t think leaving these decisions up to the people has been working out in our favour.
But there's literally no choice... What else will you do? Make a law so skins price are regulated? I'm from a country where government intervened the marked and set "max prices" for stuff, I'm now in another country because that shit was a total disaster of overblown proportions.

Whether we like it or not, that's what it is... It's called voting with your wallet because other people can vote for the opposite too... It's shit but life is not perfect.

bitbydeath

But there's literally no choice... What else will you do? Make a law so skins price are regulated? I'm from a country where government intervened the marked and set "max prices" for stuff, I'm now in another country because that shit was a total disaster of overblown proportions.

Whether we like it or not, that's what it is... It's called voting with your wallet because other people can vote for the opposite too... It's shit but life is not perfect.
We bitch and moan 😆

supernova8

Banned
And some people on this forum wonder why we all complain about the state of modern gaming, well here's why:

1) Aggressively advertising DLC and microtransactions for games before the fucking base game is out - go fuck yourselves.
2) Releasing games that are buggy and incomplete - go fuck yourselves.
3) Forcing people to be always-online for what is obviously a single player experience - go fuck yourselves.
4) Locking content and/or items behind a paywall because who cares if you already paid $60 for the game - go fuck yourselves.

None of this used to be a thing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And some people on this forum wonder why we all complain about the state of modern gaming, well here's why:

1) Aggressively advertising DLC and microtransactions for games before the fucking base game is out - go fuck yourselves.
2) Releasing games that are buggy and incomplete - go fuck yourselves.
3) Forcing people to be always-online for what is obviously a single player experience - go fuck yourselves.
4) Locking content and/or items behind a paywall because who cares if you already paid $60 for the game - go fuck yourselves.

None of this used to be a thing.
We also got plenty game this year that has none of this issues, for example Armored Core VI has none of this you listed.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

"Dont buy it if you don't like it" "i don't buy dlc anyway so it doesn't affect me" "we need to support the poor developers,the budgets are too high nowadays so they need to get their money from somewhere"

And to think this all started with a lousy horse armour...This industry is fucked

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
We also got plenty game this year that has none of this issues, for example Armored Core VI has none of this you listed.
Oh yeah for sure, but that doesn't negate the existence of those other games. Plus big games without this issues are becoming less and less common.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh yeah for sure, but that doesn't negate the existence of those other games. Plus big games without this issues are becoming less and less common.
Fortunate for me, most it is on online focus games which I have zero interest in. We got plenty of single player games that avoids issues like these.

Salmon

Why buy this crap in the first place? You're a grown-up and don't have to spend your money into games that does this bulls*it, and also, you're a grown-up, you don't buy skins and stuff.

cireza

10$ for a character is fair ?

wtf-gif.gif

Fighting games really became shit. Remember the glorious days of infinite unlockables in Marvel vs Capcom 2 ? All gone.

Last edited:
And some people on this forum wonder why we all complain about the state of modern gaming, well here's why
Do you or others who complain, ever worry if you’re missing out on a ton of legitimately fun, issue free modern games because you’re too busy laser focused on the negative ones?

Godot25

Banned
Lol.
Did people expected less then 10$ for skin?
That's like...standard price in current AAA gaming. Nothing surprising at all.

That doesn't mean I agree with this price of course.

SSfox

Didn't bought the game anyway, and glad i did when i see those prices, i usually buy MK day one but skipping this one, saved my money for Tekken 8.

May get mK1 later when they release a full version that have everything on it.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

They could charge $100 per skin for all I care. It's not scummy, just market economics. Of course they risk ruining their reputation and putting people off purchasing the game, which is what happened with me. I was genuinely looking forward to the game but then found out they launched it in a half baked state full of overpriced MTX, don't want to support this company.

The thing that bothers me is the blurred line between MTX and unlockables. As a consumer these days you often don't know what exactly you are buying and what can be unlocked just by playing the game and what you need to pay for. The issue is further exacerbated by putting the unlockable stuff you can also buy behind a massive grind. See that's that's really shitty. The point of unlockables is making it fun for me to play your damn game and be excited about stuff, not to make me be like "ah the grind is too long I'll just pay for it". That is a highly manipulative practice.

To be honest consumers are to blame. The ninja turtle skins are $15 in SF6 and so many people thought this was a fair price. Maybe there will be a backlash but I doubt companies will care as enough people buy this crap to justify it.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
$10 for Shang Tsung's announcer voice. I tried looking online to see if its obtainable within the game but i couldn't find any answers. Fuck that shit.

I stopped buying fighting games because of these practices.

Every fighting game demands at least $120 from the player now to get the full roster, let alone any other extra DLC.

Last edited:
I remember being on the Capcom Forums when Marvel vs Capcom 3 first came out and Jill and Shuma-Gorath were like $6 or $8 dollars each. I complained about the price and got shouted down by every person in the forums.

Another time on a Mortal Kombat forum I aired a grievance because of Injustice 1 on the WiiU. The WiiU version got the first 4 DLC characters, and you couldn’t even buy a season pass for them, so getting all 4 was $5 more than on PS3/360. But I still bought them because I liked the game and the WiiU version actually ran better than the other versions. I was looking forward to Martian Manhunter and Zatanna, but without even announcing it they never got released on WiiU.
All I said was I was frustrated I couldn’t buy the final characters and to play them I’d have to buy the 360 version and everything else over again. Got dogpiled and ridiculed for buying the WiiU version and told to just stop complaining and buy the game again and that it would “support the developers.” I already supported the fucking game with way too much of my money.

Different companies of course but FGC people will pay any price for DLC characters or game re-releases/new editions because that’s how you “support the games/competitive scene.” None of these communities can take any criticism and I don’t pity anyone complaining about DLC prices now.
Also let’s not forget all the pro players shilling the fuck out of the garbage that was Marvel Infinite.

I’ll be getting MK1 when it’s Ultimate edition $20 or less used like I did with MK11.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Just sell me a online capable version of the original three please. They can keep this silly 3D crap and it's overpriced transactions.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t buy it. For a while I did the whole big bundle and then DLC, but I haven’t enjoyed MK since MKXL. It’s too much money for what you get out of it, plus the DLC stuff doesn’t look good to me. I don’t like the characters they’ve announced. It’s insane how much money they want to get out of their fans and it’s so short lived. None of it feels like it’ll be a classic game in 10 or so years. Hopefully MK2 is better.

Top Bottom