• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern low powered FPGAs can now run/emulate powerful systems through old/weak host systems.

nkarafo

How about a fully fledged 486+ PC running through a MegaDrive/Genesis?

Inside the Genesis cart there is a FPGA running the game while the Genesis does the video output. That FPGA chip has the power of a PC running the original version of DOOM smoothly (that's way beyond the capabilities of the FX or SVP chips back in the day), but also requires so little power that the Genesis alone can power it without additional bricks (like the 32X).

It works just like a regular cart with a FX/SVP chip inside.

This opens up a lot of possibilities. There are already FPGAs for a ton of systems up the 5th generation... So why not a SNES through a Genesis? Or seeing how a PS1 FPGA is in the works, that would mean you could be able to run PS1 games through whatever older console pretty soon. The power of the host system is irrelevant. This whole concept is pretty crazy to me and i want to see Crysis running through a GameBoy someday :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

MrA

I honestly dont see the point
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Sylvester Stallone GIF by Warner Archive

Top Bottom