• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA Saturn core gets another huge update

VGEsoterica

at this point in time it's like 95% of the way to a real Sega Saturn and in a good handful of games 1:1 with real hardware honestly. And considering Saturn could use all the love it needs as it was much ignored in the US in the 90s hoping this brings a lot more people to the table. Wildly impressive stuff too considering just how convoluted the Saturn architecture truly is...so getting that to all work interoperable in an FPGA core is NOT a light lift.

Really makes you wonder why Sega never did a Saturn mini. Maybe they can just throw an FPGA into one and just do it officially

Curious who on GAF has been testing the Saturn core lately?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
at this point in time it's like 95% of the way to a real Sega Saturn and in a good handful of games 1:1 with real hardware honestly. And considering Saturn could use all the love it needs as it was much ignored in the US in the 90s hoping this brings a lot more people to the table. Wildly impressive stuff too considering just how convoluted the Saturn architecture truly is...so getting that to all work interoperable in an FPGA core is NOT a light lift.

Really makes you wonder why Sega never did a Saturn mini. Maybe they can just throw an FPGA into one and just do it officially

Curious who on GAF has been testing the Saturn core lately?

Awesome, I’ll probably update this weekend and try it out.

Do you know if Super Tempo is working yet?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not to be an akshully guy but MISTER is like a $700 device, it's not going to bring anyone new to the table.

It's good to see emulators improve, I had Saturn back in the day but there were lots of Saturn games I never got around to and would love to play today, like Dragon Force. And so much of it stayed in Japan.

nkarafo

The bare board is $250, but yes, if you want a full working setup, the cost skyrockets to around $800.
I had no idea it's that expensive. With the same amount you can buy a mid-range PC and emulate everything Mister does just as accurately in addition to newer stuff like PS2 and above that are beyond Mister's scope.

Though i get the Mister has some advantages one might prefer. What would be the total cost if you want to try the Saturn/N64 FPGA cores without much extras?

Top Bottom