• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori (Leaked extraordinare) - FFIX Remake is Real, FFX Remake is Not

Moochi

I think FF IX would be a cool platformer, Kingdom Hearts-style character action game. Dissidia style combat. They should focus on getting the feel of FFIX's world right and making the gameplay fun rather than trying to do a 1-1 retelling of the world and its story.

I thought Midori was a Sega leaker? now they also have a bunch of Square-Enix information?
My guess is that whoever it is, has developer friends. Someone is eventually going to give out fake info to fish out the leaker.

It would need to be reasonably believable info but fake info at the same time, which means it would sting for gamers to hear.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There's no way Final Fantasy 9 will have the same ammount of work they did with FF7R

That would be hugely disappointing. It needs a full remake from the ground up.

My first job would be to get rid of the childish art style and make it hyper realistic (Use UE5 for example).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Make a remake in the same vein as Star Ocean 2R. Will be much better than some Unreal ShitEngine remake.
SO2R should be THE example of how to remake PS1 JRPGs with pre-rendered backgrounds. It was awesome how they even managed to preserve the same camera angles + focal lengths as the original.

It’d be even better if they remade IX with SO2R combat lol

I would definitely pay and play a trilogy of ff VIII Remake. I wish it would happen
There’s a ton of potential for cool 4k environments and assets for remakes of 8 and 10.

I have never felt the same about 9, but I want this remake to be good enough to change my mind. They clearly see something in it’s potential that some of us don’t.

Edit: My biggest worry is that this remake of 9 tanks in sales, making them second guess FFX. So as a fan of 10, I need this 9 remake to succeed.

Last edited:
I don't see the point...

Arguably the only things about the game that needs a remake is the slow combat (You give characters commands, and they only respond 5 or 15 seconds later, which makes sense considering the hardware it was released on, and how heavy the game is on animations and all)

Trance being borderline useless (Have fun triggering it when fighting a random Goblin you will beat in one hit).
And characters you aren't using or don't want to use (But will be forced to use), not leveling up at all.

Beyond that, what is there to do? The game doesn't look like a PS1 game at all, it sounds amazing, great dialogue, filled with content.

The potential for a Final Fantasy 5 Remake is dangling in front of them, and they refuse to acknowledge it.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
FF10 got a really nice remaster.
Video Games Japan GIF

FFVIII was the best one, and it still gets ignored.
A remake could easily sort plot holes etc and would be much better than IX.

However the junction system would be lost and we would lose the game breaking fun you could have with it.

It's so interesting, every time any Final Fantasy game is mentioned here half of the replies are of the kind "yeah whatever, do part XXX* instead, that's the good one!"

(* where XXX can be any part from 1-16, randomly)

Some more info about the FFIX Remake coming from Midori:
  • Development is very far along
  • Square originally outsourced but weren't happy with how it was coming along so they took the remake in-house
  • Scope of the remake is still unknown

Top Bottom