• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Zenimax acquisition Is one of the reasons why Google closed its studios

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense. Hard to start a studio from scratch if you dont already have the expertise.
I bet google was also looking at Amazon game studios and decided... yeah.. thats whats gonna happen to us.

0tG1ifk.png
Give Jeff B credit for being Robin Hood. With that track record of game cancels a game studio would have closed ship after the first game cancellation.

sublimit

Banned
Do these people even read

"Microsoft's Zenimax acquisition Is one of the reasons why Google closed its studios"​

-driqe
I could have sworn on the most dearest persons in my life that the title was worded very differently when i made my previous post as in "Microsoft's Zenimax acquisition is the reason why Google closed its studios". Did you asked the mods to stealth edit it? :p In any case if i read it wrongly my sincere apologies.

I don't think the thread title is misleading or sensational. Did you read the article linked in the OP? Harrison highlighted this as one of the reasons in his QA session with staff.

Did you read my post where i quoted parts of the article? If i didn't read the article then how could i quote parts of it? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Like i said in my previous post where is the proof/documentation of Harrison's QA session?

But again like i said before even if he did say that it sounds more like a lame excuse for his own fuck up (once again) by blaming something beyond his power more than anything else.

Also i find your assumption regarding Alphabet very faulty. Do you remember a couple of years ago when the xbox division's future was also hanging in the air? Back then everyone was uncertain even if there will be an Xbox in the future yet they changed their plans and gave the division another chance.
Same thing could have happened with Alphabet. Maybe they didn't showed true commitment so far but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have changed at some point.They have a massive wealth similar to MS so i don't think they got "scared" and said "Ok guys lets pack it up we can't compete".lol

There's something else behind what happened to Stadia and no one outside Google has a clue of what really happened.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I mean... They did say google was the competition, not Sony. 💁
I guess the whole "we created xbox in 2001 because we didn't want Sony to win the living room" doesn't ring true anymore for Microsoft anymore.

I don't believe Microsoft, competition is good for the industry. They copy alot of what Sony does. Free games with gold, blu ray drive, free to play games not behind paywall, used games allowed, offline console play etc. All things Sony did first.

But I could be wrong.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think it means Google realized they had the wrong idea. Instead of trying to create their own games to compete with other studios / bolster their own platform they'd be better served by finding another studio / publisher to acquire to gain exclusive rights to their games.

Basically, what we're watching here is the beginning of the end as it relates to "free market" gaming. Sooner or later you will be required to subscribe to a particular platform holder in order to gain content to their "exclusive" games. In other words, the end of "multi-platform" games from top name publishers as mergers & acquisitions continue.
Lmwq.gif

"Oh, we don't have to figure out this gaming thing? We just have to buy companies that already have? Sweet. Write the checks".

Little do they realize how companies like EA and Microsoft run these companies they purchase into the ground and become a mere shell of their former selves.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This is the doomsday scenario. I won’t be shocked if this happens.

It's already been happening with the PC digital platforms. One has to download a launcher to play some games, share their payment info and email on it, etc. It's getting tiring and I don't want my personal info spread across several platforms (at this point it's Microsoft, Origin, Ubisoft, and Steam). Though Microsoft is unavoidable because my Microsoft account is also used for work and my personal PC (Azure, Exchange Online, Office 365 ....).

Anyway, I hope no streaming platform ever acquires full-time exclusive rights to a really good game. I'm just never going to stream games until home internet connections are redundant somehow and data caps in the US are somehow regulated into non-existence.

Iced Arcade

I guess the whole "we created xbox in 2001 because we didn't want Sony to win the living room" doesn't ring true anymore for Microsoft anymore.

I don't believe Microsoft, competition is good for the industry. They copy alot of what Sony does. Free games with gold, blu ray drive, free to play games not behind paywall, used games allowed, offline console play etc. All things Sony did first.

But I could be wrong.
Lol joke post right? Literally can do the same but reversed. (Not to mention, it isn't part of the topic so defending your favored Corp isn't needed Soldier)

Last edited:
The worst case scenario is if all the big tech firms start buying up devs for their walled-garden streaming services. That would lead to a total collapse of the industry.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Like i said in my previous post where is the proof/documentation of Harrison's QA session?
The article you read detailed it. If you're raising the evidentiary requirement above the reporting requirements of the article you've quoted, I think you'll find yourself in a rabbit hole that doesn't end favourably.

... But again like i said before even if he did say that it sounds more like a lame excuse for his own fuck up (once again) by blaming something beyond his power more than anything else.
So, the article is wrong when it says he said it, but even if he said it, he's lying and you're still correct? The number of people who are required to be lying for your position to be true makes this rather unlikely.

Also i find your assumption regarding Alphabet very faulty. Do you remember a couple of years ago when the xbox division's future was also hanging in the air? Back then everyone was uncertain even if there will be an Xbox in the future yet they changed their plans and gave the division another chance.
Same thing could have happened with Alphabet. Maybe they didn't showed true commitment so far but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have changed at some point.They have a massive wealth similar to MS so i don't think they got "scared" and said "Ok guys lets pack it up we can't compete".lol
My presumption is perfectly valid. For the same reasons I was skeptical about Microsoft suddenly breaking out the cheque book I am just as skeptical as Alphabet suddenly reversing their current trajectory. Unlike Microsoft, Alphabet have made precisely one positive moves for Stadia to date - getting Ubisoft on board. To date, Microsoft have twenty years of positive moves for us to base presumptions upon. Your biased towards Alphabet's unknowns while rejecting Microsoft's knowns.

There's something else behind what happened to Stadia and no one outside Google has a clue of what really happened.
Please share your insider knowledge. I'll ping a mod to get you vetted.

jakinov

Though it would have been better that they tried. I don't think it's a huge loss. Being a game publisher/developer can be lucrative but it's far less lucrative if you only release to one platform. At least for Sony, Microsoft or Nitnendo when the games only sell okay, it still helps entice people to come play them, help their install base and increase the chances of royalty or service payments. Google doesn't need to convince you to buy a console. They just need you to buy games. If Google wanted to make good money from publishing games they'd do it for all platforms and would have been in the business before Stadia. But this is seemingly only for the sake of attracting people to the platform.

Google still has other ways to make people try the platform with price promotions, paid exclusivity and continuing to improve the platform. But again it would have been better if they also had games you couldn't play anywhere else to get people to try the platform too.

Derktron

Banned
Would you rather Google or Microsoft buying Zenimax?
Google kills anything they come in contact with, now with Microsoft I don’t get the hate with them. They haven’t shut down anything so far, unlike EA recently over the years.

M16

So yeah i doubt they gave a shit about the Zenimax deal when they could have easily made a similar acquisition (and probably many more) themselves if they wanted.
the fuck they could. microsoft made ~$12 billion profit more than google. this difference alone is almost 2 zenimax, or 2x the profit of sony, or 1/3 of googles profit.
i love kotakus meaning of close. profit diff is 12 billion, market cap difference is $400 fuckin billion

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Games precisely like the ones Bethesda makes, such as Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc., would be precisely the types of games that would have been the perfect considerable gaming investments with exactly the style of game design that would have helped to take a service like Stadia to that next level. It would have greatly benefitted Stadia as a platform immensely to be able to have access to such games, and now they know it will never happen.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If true, this basically just proves Google has already 100% decided to end stadia. That studio acquisition was not a real reason to just end internal development, it would have to be the entire war, white flag up. Oh well, makes Google look really bad going forward into other ventures, they will lose trust with even more consumers.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it means Google realized they had the wrong idea. Instead of trying to create their own games to compete with other studios / bolster their own platform they'd be better served by finding another studio publisher to acquire to gain exclusive rights to their games.

Basically, what we're watching here is the beginning of the end as it relates to "free market" gaming. Sooner or later you will be required to subscribe to a particular platform holder in order to gain content to their "exclusive" games. In other words, the end of "multi-platform" games from top name publishers as mergers & acquisitions continue.
This realization hit like this:
hHdwDIK.jpg

sublimit

Banned
The article you read detailed it. If you're raising the evidentiary requirement above the reporting requirements of the article you've quoted, I think you'll find yourself in a rabbit hole that doesn't end favourably.

So, the article is wrong when it says he said it, but even if he said it, he's lying and you're still correct? The number of people who are required to be lying for your position to be true makes this rather unlikely.

I'm obviously questioning the validity of Kotaku's "sources" when they present zero proof especially when Kotaku has been proven many times in the past to be talking out of their asses.

My presumption is perfectly valid. For the same reasons I was skeptical about Microsoft suddenly breaking out the cheque book I am just as skeptical as Alphabet suddenly reversing their current trajectory. Unlike Microsoft, Alphabet have made precisely one positive moves for Stadia to date - getting Ubisoft on board. To date, Microsoft have twenty years of positive moves for us to base presumptions upon. Your biased towards Alphabet's unknowns while rejecting Microsoft's knowns.

You are making assumptions about their intentions just like i do. A company's past doesn't mean shit when things and directions change everyday in this industry. We have seen that with Microsoft at the end of the 360 and at the start of last gen. Neither you nor i know what Alphabet wants. What we do know however (and that's a fact) is that they have more than enough power to buy anyone they want and "buy" their place in this industry by force just like MS did 20 years ago.

Some of you need to realize that your beloved MS is not the only big "shark" out there.

Please share your insider knowledge. I'll ping a mod to get you vetted.

Please spare us your spinning and your fourth grade sarcasm. I never stated that i know something i'm only putting my logic into work here and questioning claims in Kotaku's article that shows ZERO proof. Unlike most of you fanboys who took this article as another opportunity to flex your e-penis.
[/QUOTE]

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm obviously questioning the validity of Kotaku's "sources" when they present zero proof especially when Kotaku has been proven many times in the past to be talking out of their asses.
Not really; you're just disagreeing with something that doesn't fit your narrative and going to rather lengthy degrees to do so. Throwing shade at a shit-rag like Kotaku doesn't absolve you.

You are making assumptions about their intentions just like i do. A company's past doesn't mean shit when things and directions change everyday in this industry. We have seen that with Microsoft at the end of the 360 and at the start of last gen. Neither you nor i know what Alphabet wants. What we do know however (and that's a fact) is that they have more than enough power to buy anyone they want and "buy" their place in this industry by force just like MS did 20 years ago.

Some of you need to realize that your beloved MS is not the only big "shark" out there.

Please spare us your spinning and your fourth grade sarcasm. I never stated that i know something i'm only putting my logic into work here and questioning claims in Kotaku's article that shows ZERO proof. Unlike most of you fanboys who took this article as another opportunity to flex your e-penis.
Claiming a company's past doesn't matter and then falling back on Kotaku's history to justify your bias reeks of double standards. Claiming Alphabet can easily buy their way into gaming, while failing to acknowledge that they have more failed and abandoned business ventures than Microsoft and Apple combined, reeks of cherry picking. When I highlight where you're going wrong, you result to name calling and accusations of fanboy-ism. "Beloved MS". "Unlike most of you fanboys". It seems you're not here to discuss much of anything. Have a good day; we're done here.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Not really; you're just disagreeing with something that doesn't fit your narrative and going to rather lengthy degrees to do so. Throwing shade at a shit-rag like Kotaku doesn't absolve you.

Claiming a company's past doesn't matter and then falling back on Kotaku's history to justify your bias reeks of double standards. Claiming Alphabet can easily buy their way into gaming, while failing to acknowledge that they have more failed and abandoned business ventures than Microsoft and Apple combined, reeks of cherry picking. When I highlight where you're going wrong, you result to name calling and accusations of fanboy-ism. "Beloved MS". "Unlike most of you fanboys". It seems you're not here to discuss much of anything. Have a good day; we're done here.
Keep on spinning fanboy on denial.

And yes have a good day.
osom4dq.gif

CeeJay

The fact is they have money. They could start acquiring studios or publishers and locking things down to Stadia. At the very least, they could cause a very bad migraine for a generation.
They could... But, that's not what they appear to be doing. The consumer marketing for Stadia has gone, they have shut down all their internal studios and pivoted towards offering the Stadia tech for third parties to use. This points to Google abandoning their consumer facing Stadia service completely for the time being. Any revenue based investments they had have been stopped and they are now in damage reduction mode trying to recoup as much of their capital investment in the infrastructure and software by offering this to third parties. This is a last ditch attempt to gain a foothold. Their tools, api and hardware will slowly age into obselecioncy and unless the future revenue covers the continued development of these things Google will quietly shut it down in a year or two. If however they do gain traction offering their service to third parties we could see them try to relaunch a first party consumer service although it won't be called Stadia and will have a different model. Whichever way you look at this though, Stadia is dead.

MadPanda

Banned
I think it means Google realized they had the wrong idea. Instead of trying to create their own games to compete with other studios / bolster their own platform they'd be better served by finding another studio / publisher to acquire to gain exclusive rights to their games.

How can that be true if they're looking to sell stadia completely? You're just fearmongering here.

Varteras

Gold Member
They could... But, that's not what they appear to be doing. The consumer marketing for Stadia has gone, they have shut down all their internal studios and pivoted towards offering the Stadia tech for third parties to use. This points to Google abandoning their consumer facing Stadia service completely for the time being. Any revenue based investments they had have been stopped and they are now in damage reduction mode trying to recoup as much of their capital investment in the infrastructure and software by offering this to third parties. This is a last ditch attempt to gain a foothold. Their tools, api and hardware will slowly age into obselecioncy and unless the future revenue covers the continued development of these things Google will quietly shut it down in a year or two. If however they do gain traction offering their service to third parties we could see them try to relaunch a first party consumer service although it won't be called Stadia and will have a different model. Whichever way you look at this though, Stadia is dead.

I agree that the more likely scenario is that Stadia just fades from consumer use to being licensed to other companies for streaming. What bothers me is that they are buying exclusivity for Stadia. Timed or otherwise. Now, these deals were probably made prior to the decision to shut down their first party but I'm going to remain very cautious. Google has a lot of money and had a very clear intent to be a major player in the industry. That they talk about the ZeniMax acquisition as having come to some realization about what it takes to compete in this market bothers me. Because the burning question in everyones' head should be are they saying they're not willing to go that far or are they looking to copy Microsoft? I hope it's the former and not the latter. Google is not a company I want to be a presence in gaming beyond what YouTube provides. Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and the PC market already provide enough options.

Duchess

But ... the Zenimax acquisition was all about sticking it to PlayStation ...

(it's not, it's about MS ensuring GamePass and XCloud have a secure future - they could care less* about PlayStation)

(* - and I'm using that in the grammatically correct way)

I must be a bit dense...I don't get the connection here.

That's because they only made public plans to shut down stadia studios.

If you asume that Stadia is being quietly shutdown or put on minimal lifesupport since Google decided they don't want to spend tens of bilions of dollars to compete with MS - then it all makes perfect sense.

Banned
I must be a bit dense...I don't get the connection here.

every Microsoft game comes to gamepass so they also come to xCloud. their direct competition.

with xCloud having exclusivity to every Bethesda game they will face even stronger competition than they already have anyways.

so I guess that's the connection

Last edited:

kyussman

every Microsoft game comes to gamepass so they also come to xCloud. their direct competition.

with xCloud having exclusivity to every Bethesda game they will face even stronger competition than they already have anyways.

so I guess that's the connection
So instead of doubling down on exclusive content to make their service more attractive to gamers....they just gave up,lol.....as a potential customer(not really,I'm never touching Stadia,but you know what I mean),this doesn't make me think they have much confidence for the future of the service.....neither do I.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
google probably thought they could half ass it and cheap out.

ms threw some lettuce about and google noped out. simple. probably has Sony spooked too because they know they don't have that much to spend. MS ain't even done. they could drop another $7b and not notice it.

Last edited:

FStubbs

But I could be wrong.
And Sony created Playstation as a middle finger to Nintendo, but that doesn't really ring true anymore either.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
TH MS Zenimax deal seems to be getting better all the time. If anything Google will eventually start to license their Stadia tech to other people. That my be a business model that over the long run makes the investment and R&D in Stadia work out.

Top Bottom