• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Robbie Bach slams Japanese survey

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yodathesoda said:
Laugh all you guys want but the Japanese could get the most well rounded Japanese centric lineup in the world and would still shit on it for Sone-ree. Nationalistic consumer pride breeds ignorance imo and there's nothing any company outside of Japan can do about it.
How do you even know that? Has any western console delivered such a lineup before? I don't completely disagree with you, though...

Also, "Sone-ree"?

BluWacky

Andrew2 said:
Lets backup a bit. Your telling me the original Xbox not have a lineup suitable for the Japanese compared to now? May I remind you that original Xbox had Soul Calibur, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter,Ridge Racer, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sonic The Hedgehog, Dynasty Warriors, Outrun,House of the Dead, King of The Fighters, even Winning Eleven and alot particullary alot of Japanese-centric RPG's,especially big names like Phantasy Star and that one RPG from Atlus.

Virtually all those games were also available on PS2, except PDO, Outrun and House of the Dead (and I believe Outrun's far more popular in the West than it is in Japan anyway?). Plus no-one wants to play the Nth iteration of PSO any more and Shin Megami Tensei 9 was crap, apparently.

Ergo, the PS2 wins.

Things could be different this time around, but to be honest I don't see any particular reason to get an X360 yet, especially from the Japanese point of view.

HokieJoe

Cripes, this horse has been beaten into glue already.

Like I’ve said before, MS should forget Japan. I think they’re spinning their wheels there. I think a much better strategy would be to capture the NA and European markets; and let Japan live in gaming isolation.

I mean, we don’t tailor Hollywood or the music industry to Japanese tastes, why should we try to with games? Either they like them or they don’t. The effort is commendable I suppose, but you can’t make them like your games.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Personally, I find Japanese gaming tastes to be odd. Maybe they feel the same way I do.

Maybe HokieJoe is right and MS should just forget about Japan. Who knows.

If the Japanese dev houses want to make the most profit, they will support all the major consoles.

bishoptl said:
I think it's time to do something about this blatant console racism. Who's with me?

Personally, I think it has to do with Japanese culture in general.

Ponn

Banned
bishoptl said:
I think it's time to do something about this blatant console racism. Who's with me?

Yes, we should wear Pac-Man Ghost hoods and burn giant Katamari's on their lawns till they learn their lessons...oh wait, you said fight console racism? This mob sucks, i'm taking my pitchfork and going home.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:
That just isn't true.

Yes, it is true. It's because development costs are going to rise with next-gen. Why do you think Ubisoft releases a lot of their games on all the platforms. Maximize profits.

How about you backup your statement instead.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Saturn and PC Engine did pretty nicely in Japan with no FF or DQ... So it's not impossible to get a nice share of the market without those 2 games... I'm actually kind of happy that MS is trying a bit more actively to court Japanese developers - right now X360 has enchant ARM, Tengai Makyo:Ziria, the 2 MistWalker games... each game on its own probably better than the regular Xbox RPG library =P

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dr_Cogent said:
Yes, it is true. It's because development costs are going to rise with next-gen. Why do you think Ubisoft releases a lot of their games on all the platforms. Maximize profits.

How about you backup your statement instead.
I can't say for certain whether or not that is true, but I personally HATE multiplatform projects at this time. We always end up with multiple products that aren't as good as they could have been had they focused on one machine.

Ubi's games this gen have all been rather unpolished, featured unstable framerates and were often filled with bugs. I do not wish to see things move in that direction...

Chances are, I wouldn't be purchasing multiple versions of the same game and I will own all systems. Multiplatform games do me no good. :\ I'm talking only from the perspective of someone who will play these products, however. It might be necessary for developers to stay afloat...

ourumov

djtiesto said:
Saturn and PC Engine did pretty nicely in Japan with no FF or DQ... So it's not impossible to get a nice share of the market without those 2 games... I'm actually kind of happy that MS is trying a bit more actively to court Japanese developers - right now X360 has enchant ARM, Tengai Makyo:Ziria, the 2 MistWalker games... each game on its own probably better than the regular Xbox RPG library =P

Hmmm even though you are right both systems had strong support from japanese 3rd parties. In the PC-Engine case, Hudson and Konami DID a lot for the system. In the Saturn case, we are talking about the SEGA system with the best JP-3rd party support. In the XBOX case the japanese 3rd party support pales...they have released games for it but they either were crap, didn't interest or were available on other platfforms.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ponn01 said:
Yes, we should wear Pac-Man Ghost hoods and burn giant Katamari's on their lawns till they learn their lessons...oh wait, you said fight console racism? This mob sucks, i'm taking my pitchfork and going home.
consoleracism0nj.jpg

snatches

Mrbob said:
MS is fucked in Japan until one of three things happen:

1) They get a real FF game (not the online stuff) as exclusive

2) Get a real Dragon Quest game as exclusive

3) Get both

Until then they will be ignored and the 360 will flail like the Xbox in Japan. Maybe, MAYBE, MS can squeak out 1 million sold total in Japan over 5 years.

agreed. although I think they will sell more than 1 million in Japan this gen, but not over 2mil.

Top Bottom