• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should make a portable Xbox One.

93xfan

Banned
Anything that is not AAA will still release on Xbox One though. Series X is just a Xbox One with much better specs.

Digital foundry already covered that it’s not feasible to shrink current gen into a portable. I think I remember the power draw was the issue.

But either way, I’ll stream series X games with better graphics and very little load time for the odd bit of gaming on the go and enjoy my games locally when I get home from work.

I’m personally not interested in a gimped version of Halo Infinite with long load times. And judging by X1 sales numbers, not too many other people are either.

So it’s technically not possible and sales of the X1 and interest in Xcloud are a few reasons this won’t happen.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Digital foundry already covered that it’s not feasible to shrink current gen into a portable. I think I remember the power draw was the issue.
You have never seen a Surface Pro have you ?

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
But Microsoft has made a tablet with much better specs than Xbox One and 12 hours battery life.

Apparently it’s not that simple. The article explains it very well, and has a link to a 10 minute video where they discuss how games would have to be retooled to work with a different architecture.

I see no point in continuing this discussion until you’ve watched the video or read the article.

tr1p1ex

It will cost less if it only contains the OG Xbox One APU.

Cost less than what? Doesn't switching to a different APU change the battery life ? And change the ability to dissipate the heat? Would they need a bigger form factor to support an X1 apu? Would they have to port all the games to work on this apu? Would that mean you have to rebuy the games?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Cost less than what? Doesn't switching to a different APU change the battery life ? And change the ability to dissipate the heat? Would they need a bigger form factor to support an X1 apu? Would they have to port all the games to work on this apu? Would that mean you have to rebuy the games?
The Surface Pro are way higher specked than Xbox One, they contain 16 GB of RAM and 10th gen Core i7 in that form factor. Even the Iris Plus GPU in there is equivalent to the OG Xbox One GPU.

Bernkastel

Apparently it’s not that simple. The article explains it very well, and has a link to a 10 minute video where they discuss how games would have to be retooled to work with a different architecture.

I see no point in continuing this discussion until you’ve watched the video or read the article.
I watched it and my point still stands. Microsoft has made beefier tablets than Xbox One.
And now theres also this

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I watched it and my point still stands. Microsoft has made beefier tablets than Xbox One.
And now theres also this

Oh, so what’s your solution to games needing a retooling to get them to work?

Does this system you envision just play 10% of the games?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

Feel free to read this in its entirety. Hopefully this puts this to rest.

That video is stating that shrinking the current tech is not feasible in a 1:1 setting but if the question is can you have graphics as good as the Xbox One /PS4 in a portable gaming system, with out a doubt yes and for not much more money than a $299 Switch. Yes these games would have to be ported to the new handheld console and would not be the exact same game but it is with out a doubt possible. The tech already lives.

Bernkastel

Oh, so what’s your solution to games needing a retooling to get them to work?

Does this system you envision just play 10% of the games?
Why would it need retooling for the same hardware ?
They are going to make Xbox One 100% backwards compatible to Series X(a completely different hardware).

93xfan

Banned
Why would it need retooling for the same hardware ?
They are going to make Xbox One 100% backwards compatible to Series X(a completely different hardware).

I’m not tech savvy on the ins and outs, but I trust Digital Foundry when they say it has to be ported- which is far different than the BC you’re describing.

Bernkastel

I’m not tech savvy on the ins and outs, but I trust Digital Foundry when they say it has to be ported- which is far different than the BC you’re describing.
Its actually far simpler, since its the same hardware. You dont need to retool your Windows app for tablet, since it uses the same hardware. Xbox is very similar to Windows.

93xfan

Banned
Its actually far simpler, since its the same hardware. You dont need to retool your Windows app for tablet, since it uses the same hardware. Xbox is very similar to Windows.

Well, believe what you want. I’m out on the tech front and don’t wish to discuss it further.

As far as what would make sense, I don’t believe it makes sense for MS to do this and XCloud. I also don’t think they will use resources on this. If they were to do this, they may as well just make the entire Xbox library playable on PCs. Don’t think it will happen.

Bernkastel

The Surface with the i7 and 16gb of ram is over $1k right?

And what's the battery life playing AAA console games?
The specs will definitely be inferior to that Surface. Putting a slightly better battery than Surface Go(hopefully Surface Go 2) will give them a Nintendo Switch-tier battery life while gaming.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

UikIMaj.png

I stand my case. If this is possible at 399 USD, then so is the OG Xbox One.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Of course it's possible, they just don't want to do it. The sales of this thing will show why.

Not sure why you think that, it will sell well right now, especially in this market. Long term who knows, but this initial batch and going well into next year will easily be sold out.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not sure why you think that, it will sell well right now, especially in this market. Long term who knows, but this initial batch and going well into next year will easily be sold out.
Doubt, unless of course they barely make any.

It's a low powered portable PC. It's not going to light up the sales charts. Steam Machines were also going to take the industry by storm too. How'd that work out?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Doubt, unless of course they barely make any.

It's a low powered portable PC. It's not going to light up the sales charts. Steam Machines were also going to take the industry by storm too. How'd that work out?

They will probably try to order a million or 2, which should sell easily enough. It's not really low powered, how many laptops are there that are 2tf for $399? Lots of people will buy this to double as a portable gaming machine, xcloud, and even sometimes a desktop/light office machine.

Steam machine was a completely different type of product, not even comparable. Kind of like comparing wii u to Switch, its not even remotely the same kind of product.

MrFunSocks

Banned
They will probably try to order a million or 2, which should sell easily enough. It's not really low powered, how many laptops are there that are 2tf for $399? Lots of people will buy this to double as a portable gaming machine, xcloud, and even sometimes a desktop/light office machine.

Steam machine was a completely different type of product, not even comparable. Kind of like comparing wii u to Switch, its not even remotely the same kind of product.
Desktop/light office machine on a 720p 7" screen? Not a chance. Using your phone would be better. Anything Windows desktop like would be horrible on this. Even a web browser is useless on a 800 pixel high screen.

Laptops and desktop PCs aren't usually measured in TF. How many TF are Alienware gaming laptops? They don't mention it at all on their website. This is low powered. The USD$399+tax version is almost useless with 64gb of storage. You literally can't even play a massive amount of games on that lol. Doom Eternal is 75GB for example.

This thing ain't selling well.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
Desktop/light office machine on a 720p 7" screen? Not a chance. Using your phone would be better. Anything Windows desktop like would be horrible on this. Even a web browser is useless on a 800 pixel high screen.

Laptops and desktop PCs aren't usually measured in TF. How many TF are Alienware gaming laptops? They don't mention it at all on their website. This is low powered. The USD$399+tax version is almost useless with 64gb of storage. You literally can't even play a massive amount of games on that lol. Doom Eternal is 75GB for example.

I thought the steam deck looked really cool, it's got to be better than playing games on the switch, monster Hunter stories 2 is insanely rough and that's being kind.

That being said if I get the steam deck it would be 512gb nvme SSD one.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I thought the steam deck looked really cool, it's got to be better than playing games on the switch, monster Hunter stories 2 is insanely rough and that's being kind.

That being said if I get the steam deck it would be 512gb nvme SSD one.
It looks pretty cool, though I personally think the Switch looks infinitely sleeker. One of the problems however is that this is going to have all the downsides of PC gaming in a console form factor. You're going to be endlessly tweaking game settings to try and get it to perform well since it's so low powered. In 3 years time this thing won't have a hope in hell of playing any new games. That 512gb one is going to set you back like USD$700+. That's absurdly expensive for what it's going to be capable of. A Series S at $299 will run rings around this thing.

Bernkastel

MS may as well copy the specs of the Deck. It is apparently much more powerful than the One.
Deck's specs can't run One X/Series S|X games. So they should stick to One and maybe provide a better storage(even SSD is not needed).

MrFunSocks

Banned
According to Durante, it will be able to at the handheld's native resolution.

The Series S is running games as low as 720p and it is vastly superior hardware. Not a chance this thing is going to be able to play games in 2-3 years time at anything other than low settings and 30fps.

Be interesting to see what this can run Flight Simulator at, and how it compares to the Series S. It won't be pretty. Also pretty sure you won't even be able to fit Flight Simulator on the base model of this.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

If they can hit the series s in a portable factor and with a better battery life then yes
Series S GPU is still too much for the portable form factor. Unless it costs like high end Surface Pro devices.

Last edited:

reksveks

Series S GPU is still too much for the portable form factor. Unless it costs like high end Surface Pro devices.
Yeah, I don't see it happening in the short term.

I do wonder if Microsoft might get their arm twisted into doing this at a bigger loss of BOM if they really want their storefront to compete better with valve.

THE DUCK

Do you not understand how this machine works? Dock it or usb hub to a monitor, nobody's talking about using windows desktop on the screen. Do you allow for the switch to have benefit in hooking to the tv? Same benefit here to a tv or a pc monitor.

It doesn't matter if laptops aren't measured in tf, it matters if most of them compete with this machine power wise The low end ones do not. As far as storage goes 2 options there, massive sd cards are pretty cheap now (already confirmed games play fine off them) or buy the more expensive unit. It's going to sell just fine.

Reactions: TLZ

DavidGzz

The Series S is running games as low as 720p and it is vastly superior hardware. Not a chance this thing is going to be able to play games in 2-3 years time at anything other than low settings and 30fps.

Be interesting to see what this can run Flight Simulator at, and how it compares to the Series S. It won't be pretty. Also pretty sure you won't even be able to fit Flight Simulator on the base model of this.

I think I'll listen to Durante for now. Either way, it wipes the floor with the Switch and has access to the best library of games ever so it's an amazing value.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Of course it's possible, they just don't want to do it. The sales of this thing will show why.
It would be interesting if it would have a dedicated GP and Xcloud app. You would transfer from home account to portable in a flash.

But yeah let's see how steam deck goes!

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Streaming will alway be inferior to Local hardware
Agreed,( i'll choose a Steam Deck over the switch anytime, for instance), but it seems a slight input lag is ok for many gamers.(on era 50% of players have chosen Xcloud, the worst tech, over Stadia, GFN and PS Now).

In a near future, almost all streaming services will be awesome and popular. At the end of 2022, Stadia will have more than 300 games, Xcloud will allow games purchase and GFN will add new features to simplify logins, Netflix, youtube will help cloud gaming to be easily reachable and internet speed is getting better everywhere.

Ok, here and there (iphone) cloud gaming could awful but overall it's becoming solid very fast.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
In the 360 days I would have agreed, but now they barely even have enough content to support one platform, let alone two.

I mean they released a major new platform with 90% of their first party content not due for 2-3 years, and delayed their biggest flagship. They simply don't have the software content. I think this will be a different story in 5 years when they have their shit together but they absolutely cannot release a second console right now.

GuinGuin

Banned
Kind of pointless given it is at the end of its life cycle. No one is going to want a handheld that won't be getting new games. A portable cut back version of the Series S is a better idea. That's essentially what the Steam Deck is anyway.

Top Bottom