• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

Must be the marketing division and not gaming, god bless
Devs actively working on a game wouldn’t generally be considered redundant. It’s departments outside of direct development like marketing, PR, HR, accounting, legal etc (departments that Microsoft already has) that would see the vast majority of lay-offs.

Shakka43

9v6653f.jpg

Little did they know!
Searching Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

Darsxx82

Wow. For context, that's equal to Sony closing all of Insomniac, Naughty Dog, ICE, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, HouseMarque, Bluepoint, Polyphone Digital, and Team Asobi simultaneously!

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF
LOL, only you could come up with such a dishonest simile 🤣

I don't know, so if we follow that line of assessment... we could also say that, even despite that number of layoffs, MS still has 11x the number of devs in its gamming division than all those Studios accumulate...

I don't know which símil you prefer...😉😂

Last edited:

Nvzman

Let me guess, the executive team isn't being trimmed though, it's just all the people that do all the work. LOL

Microsoft was laying off tons of gaming employees before the merger, too. Hell they fired 10K+ people last year alone.

But it's okay, the execs got private concerts with Sting. That balances everything out.
I'm gonna preface this: Microsoft can go fuck themselves, they are easily the shittiest company out of the three console manufacturers. So this is not any sort of targeted defense. Additionally, I hope all of those that have been laid off in this recent wave of large company layoffs (which I was a part of as well not too long ago) can find their feet quickly and find some work soon.

However, this antagonistic view towards executives as a whole is just very misguided and pretty wrong.
Maybe not in the case of Blizzard or Activision, but most higher up executives (CFO, CEO, etc) have to absolutely work their fuckin ass off 24/7 to the point where work becomes their life. Constantly making connections, attending events (where the goal is not to have fun, its to sweeten up a deal for a potential client), flying out, reviewing projections and forecasts, presenting, dealing with regulatory bodies, etc. It is far more stressful, and requires far more patience and experience, than most people at the bottom of any business. Sorry, that is the truth. Its not just a bunch of rich people dicking around doing nothing counting money all day while the poor people at the bottom toll away, that's the Hollywood bullshit version of it. When these executives get their "bonus" (which is also ignoring that these bonuses are usually a drop in the bucket compared to 2,000+ people's salaries, even in the case of the Sting concert, $500,000 is complete chump change to a company like Microsoft, even if they didn't do it thats maybe 10 people's yearly salaries and thats a hard lowball for their salaries, but again salaries are not accounted in even nearly the same way as organizing events so its a meaningless comparison), its not at the expense of people's jobs, thats not how accounting for these companies work at all, its because they actually need to have some sort of incentive to put up with all the insane amount of crap they deal with on a daily basis. If not, they would pretty much all immediately leave and go elsewhere, which presents a massive problem if the "people that do all the work", actually WANT to have work.
Its significantly more balanced than you think, the staff and management are definitely working hard and they deserve their proper compensation, but at the end of the day the executives are usually the ones actually busting their asses the hardest. If they are doing a genuinely good job, they are the ones making sure the staff and management actually have the ability to work in the first place. Of course, you can be like Embracer and have moronic as shit executives, which yea, they can go fuck themselves. Or be a creep like Bobby Kotick. But as someone who has worked with genuinely good executives and works in a field that regularly front-faces with them, it is extremely far from the truth to suggest executives basically get away with murder while everyone under them gets treated like shit.

Last edited:
The cognitive dissonance of the GP preachers talking now about profitability and stuff.

It would not be that bad if those were MS's employees all along. They hire, they fire. That's life. However, buying out competitors and soon after cutting their production and headcount is irredeemable.

What's happening today is enough proof that not even the richest company in the world fancies funding divisions in the red.

Zheph

Devs actively working on a game wouldn’t generally be considered redundant. It’s departments outside of direct development like marketing, PR, HR, accounting, legal etc (departments that Microsoft already has) that would see the vast majority of lay-offs.
I was implying the shills are with MS marketing and not the gaming division so not impacted by those layoffs as you can see with some reactions in this thread

NickFire

I'll never understand how anyone outside of MS thought the merger was a great idea unless they had lots of stock (or options) in ABK. Any short term boosts to value for the sub will be swallowed up by the need to make profit - just look at every other sub that started with low prices. The least competent company when it comes to releasing hits now controls even more content. Mergers pretty much always lead to employee consolidation. And in this instance, the people being let go have a lot fewer options for new employment because of the consolidation of so much. It even gets worse for them since future possible employers are probably salivating at the prospect of AI replacing the people they already have.

MikeM

Mergers and layoffs. Sounds like a tale as old as time. Sucks for all those who have been effected.

Js562

That's what usually happens when a company acquires and merges with another. It happened to the company I'm working for now. Almost every position was layed off and replaced later down the line. It sucks that the employees lost their jobs but life goes on and they'll find another opportunity. That's business

Tomi

Imagine quality of those not announced new games when your employees are scared they will get fired.
It's disaster in the making...

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

So big execs at Zenimax and Activision made enough money to buy themselves an Island from the acquisition deals, whilst the little guy gets royally shafted. Say it ain't so!

Microsoft is trash and these studios will probably die a dogs death under them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

phil never miss, this guy is the king of shit. It's absurd that at now maybe there are more people who defend MS's decision and even justify it rather than criticize it.

The layoffs suck, most people expected layoffs as is usual with a merger, but the scale of the layoffs is shocking.
But that original 'welcoming blah de blah' isn't really a gotcha, it's just fluff, I guarantee that Activision employees didn't give out a sigh of relief when reading it thinking their jobs were safe.

Ybarra probably preparing another Stephen Elop moment to his collection. I wonder who is getting sabotaged from within next for MS to buy?

It really, really needs to be investigated at this point. Big corpos using plants to sabotage M&A targets should be illegal. It isn't a coincidence Ybarra did this with Nokia, and now again with ABK.

There's a pattern. He just better stay the hell away from Sony, Nintendo, all of the Japanese 3P publishers, Take Two and CDPR.

Like put him on a "No Hire" list or something. Can't say it's discrimination when he's the only one on the list.

Last edited:

Kerotan

69 Billion Dollars went towards that Activision Blizzard purchase so of course the first move they make to save money is to cut off people working on the product they are trying to make and sell.

Sheesh.
I mean Sony did it with Bungie. This shit always happens after big takeovers. Another reason why they shouldn't be approving the biggest companies buying other giants. Bad for the industry.

Stooky

"corporate job will overlap" is this microsoft pr?
no they trim everything projects, artist, corporate leads, they only keep the meaty select parts that turn a profit. they are picking winners and losers . if you are good worker on a losing project you get too. your salary is too high, gone. probably just the first round of lay offs

Last edited:
LOL, only you could come up with such a dishonest simile 🤣

I don't know, so if we follow that line of assessment... we could also say that, even despite that number of layoffs, MS still has 11x the number of devs in its gamming division than all those Studios accumulate...

I don't know which símil you prefer...😉😂

11x the staff but not even 1x the quality or industry-leading software of the much smaller workforce*. And a company worth almost $3 trillion with > $160 billion in annual revenue should be able to afford to keep its employees.

The firings aren't just to shed fat; they're also to increase profit margins so the CEOs and other execs can sound more impressive in the fiscal reports when they talk about growth.

*On average

I'm gonna preface this: Microsoft can go fuck themselves, they are easily the shittiest company out of the three console manufacturers. So this is not any sort of targeted defense. Additionally, I hope all of those that have been laid off in this recent wave of large company layoffs (which I was a part of as well not too long ago) can find their feet quickly and find some work soon.

However, this antagonistic view towards executives as a whole is just very misguided and pretty wrong.
Maybe not in the case of Blizzard or Activision, but most higher up executives (CFO, CEO, etc) have to absolutely work their fuckin ass off 24/7 to the point where work becomes their life. Constantly making connections, attending events (where the goal is not to have fun, its to sweeten up a deal for a potential client), flying out, reviewing projections and forecasts, presenting, dealing with regulatory bodies, etc. It is far more stressful, and requires far more patience and experience, than most people at the bottom of any business. Sorry, that is the truth. Its not just a bunch of rich people dicking around doing nothing counting money all day while the poor people at the bottom toll away, that's the Hollywood bullshit version of it. When these executives get their "bonus" (which is also ignoring that these bonuses are usually a drop in the bucket compared to 2,000+ people's salaries, even in the case of the Sting concert, $500,000 is complete chump change to a company like Microsoft, even if they didn't do it thats maybe 10 people's yearly salaries and thats a hard lowball for their salaries, but again salaries are not accounted in even nearly the same way as organizing events so its a meaningless comparison), its not at the expense of people's jobs, thats not how accounting for these companies work at all, its because they actually need to have some sort of incentive to put up with all the insane amount of crap they deal with on a daily basis. If not, they would pretty much all immediately leave and go elsewhere, which presents a massive problem if the "people that do all the work", actually WANT to have work.
Its significantly more balanced than you think, the staff and management are definitely working hard and they deserve their proper compensation, but at the end of the day the executives are usually the ones actually busting their asses the hardest. If they are doing a genuinely good job, they are the ones making sure the staff and management actually have the ability to work in the first place. Of course, you can be like Embracer and have moronic as shit executives, which yea, they can go fuck themselves. Or be a creep like Bobby Kotick. But as someone who has worked with genuinely good executives and works in a field that regularly front-faces with them, it is extremely far from the truth to suggest executives basically get away with murder while everyone under them gets treated like shit.

It's more about the optics. Yes the Sting concern was cheap but for a $3 trillion big corpo if $500K is chump change, so is whatever few millions spent in salaries for 2K employees over the course of a year. Yet they were more willing to party with Sting than dock a few hundred grand off the multi-millions the upper-level execs get so they could keep more people employed.

Just shows how backwards the priorities at these massive companies are. When the upper-level execs can't produce the results shareholders want, it's the lower-tiered employees who get the axe, instead of some of those super-fat salaries of the upper-level executives.

I mean Sony did it with Bungie. This shit always happens after big takeovers. Another reason why they shouldn't be approving the biggest companies buying other giants. Bad for the industry.
Bungie has added like 500 developers since being aquired by Sony. They had some layoffs last year but Bungie as a company has grown under Sony

Last edited:
Context is crucial, indeed. In the aftermath of significant takeovers, it's essential to Assess the necessity of various job positions and the overall functioning of the company becomes crucial. While layoffs are unfortunate for those affected, it's a reminder that companies ultimately need to generate revenue to sustain themselves.

phil never miss, this guy is the king of shit. It's absurd that at now maybe there are more people who defend MS's decision and even justify it rather than criticize it.

Actvision’s output has been terrible for years. And they’ve been riding on the dying coattails of CoD for too long. No one cares about Overwatch 2, and people are sick of live service games.

I can’t remember the last time they produced a product I was interested in buying. 2012?

Last edited:

Stooky

Im going to fix your statement,
but at the end of the day the executives are usually the ones actually busting their asses the hardest.
Executives carry more responsibility. Definitely not usually the hardest working, milage varies greatly on that.

Last edited:
When you can't take a joke like that, you probably ought to re-evaluate your position.

And for the record, no, I'm not at all concerned for those who effectively begged for their own demise. Far from it in fact.
Oh, I was joking too of course.

Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Mortisfacio

Banned
Realistically merger or not, ABK was expected to have some layoffs given their recent product lineup has no delivered to expectations. The merger made this worse by increasing overhead to the overall Xbox gaming division, but layoffs were coming regardless. D4 is losing steam. MW3 had a steeper drop off in sales 3 weeks removed from release compared to MW2 (the figures were about 38% steeper drop off for U.K. figures), WoW lost revenue due to the negotiations for availability in China, etc.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What in the actual fuck? OK I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the logic behind this, but could this affect the quality of Blizzard games moving forward?

graywolf323

It really, really needs to be investigated at this point. Big corpos using plants to sabotage M&A targets should be illegal. It isn't a coincidence Ybarra did this with Nokia, and now again with ABK.

There's a pattern. He just better stay the hell away from Sony, Nintendo, all of the Japanese 3P publishers, Take Two and CDPR.

Like put him on a "No Hire" list or something. Can't say it's discrimination when he's the only one on the list.
Ybarra wasn’t involved with Nokia, that was Stephen Elop though who became the head of Nokia and that led to them being acquired by Microsoft (who they had hired him from in the first place) IIRC

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A bit expected after these big mergers, the redundancies have to go. Certainly sucks for these people though. The post covid effect is probably part of it as well as @DenchDeckard mentioned.

Typically with mergers it's ancillary roles that get cut such as marketing, Finance, HR, etc. Idk exactly who is getting cut here, but if a large % are developers that's not good from a core business perspective.

lol y
When you can't take a joke like that, you probably ought to re-evaluate your position.

And for the record, no, I'm not at all concerned for those who effectively begged for their own demise. Far from it in fact.
Begged for their own demise” Dafuc does that mean? Usually I just watch but had a friend affected by this. You all seem to be reacting as if most of these people are facing a life-or-death situation let's relax a bit. While it's unfortunate, there are various outlets and individuals offering opportunities to those affected. It's likely that they were aware of this possibility, similar to some armchair developers in here. Instead of demeaning them, let's approach this with understanding.

Top Bottom