• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flying Simulator 2024 Announced. Dune x MFS Collaboration Announced| Xbox Showcase 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Coming 2024 - the next generation of the legendary franchise. Join the aviation adventure in a groundbreaking simulator developed for Xbox Series X|S and PC.

FyW7nufaQAAdrxH

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Microsoft Flight Simulator looks good, a lot of cool concepts in there. Aviation folks are getting a nice treat with this series.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So it's another game and not an update to the existing MFS?? Cowards!

Last edited:

Zug

I love all the civilian applications. Flying for flying bores me quickly, but all these "mini games" look engaging.

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Flying Simulator" 😀

Wait, they need a different game instead of an expansion to the existing one?
It basically means they've invested a lot more than usual studio development time to change and add to core elements of the game including new technology and missions. I guess they want to see some return of investment.

But there's a lot of confusion regarding the way MS came out of nowhere with this, even add-on developers was taken by surprise. But logically that should mean that people can expect that their 2020 add-ons will work in 2024 (when developers have updated them I guess). But again; It's just not confirmed yet.

Last edited:

calistan

They published an FAQ :

All purchases from 2020 will work in 2024 and they will continue to support 2020 post 2024's launch.
I'm a little disappointed they're not just keeping the existing Flying Simulator as an ongoing service and updating it for 2024. The job stuff they announced sounds like something that could easily be built in to the existing sim, and overhauling the engine shouldn't require a complete new standalone game. There are bugs that have been present since day one and were never fixed.

Keeping all the purchases - it's good that they managed to tie so many developers to the official marketplace, but there's lots of stuff available elsewhere that's probably not going to updated for free, if at all. I've bought add-ons that aren't available in the in-game store, and those things aren't cheap.

If my experience from previous flight sims is applicable here, I'm going to have to maintain two gigantic installs - one for the shiny new product and one so I can still use aircraft that cost more than the price of a AAA game. At least I won't have to rebuy all of the scenery, though.

LokusAbriss

The terrain looks better and better. How far away are we from a Forza Horizon World using this technology? Maybe next gen already?

Those missions fix the problem I have with the current flight sim. It becomes boring very fast, because there is not much to do other than flying around.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I'm a little disappointed they're not just keeping the existing Flying Simulator as an ongoing service and updating it for 2024. The job stuff they announced sounds like something that could easily be built in to the existing sim, and overhauling the engine shouldn't require a complete new standalone game. There are bugs that have been present since day one and were never fixed.

Keeping all the purchases - it's good that they managed to tie so many developers to the official marketplace, but there's lots of stuff available elsewhere that's probably not going to updated for free, if at all. I've bought add-ons that aren't available in the in-game store, and those things aren't cheap.

If my experience from previous flight sims is applicable here, I'm going to have to maintain two gigantic installs - one for the shiny new product and one so I can still use aircraft that cost more than the price of a AAA game. At least I won't have to rebuy all of the scenery, though.
From what I understand in the two sentences they wrote, they address both :
With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.
I understand they are talking about every add-ons, including those bought/downloaded elsewhere.
Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.
Here they talk only about the in-game purchases that will automatically carry on.
The other add-ons you will have to move/copy them manually to the new game and they should work.

calistan

From what I understand in the two sentences they wrote, they address both :

I understand they are talking about every add-ons, including those bought/downloaded elsewhere.

Here they talk only about the in-game purchases that will automatically carry on.
The other add-ons you will have to move/copy them manually to the new game and they should work.
I hope that's the case! Some of this stuff comes with external control panels and installers, so I'd imagine that there's at least a little work involved in porting it to the new platform. Whenever I'd move to a new version of Prepar3D there was often a long wait for companies to update their stuff and decide whether they were going to charge for an upgrade.

MSFS does seem a lot more stable than other sims though. Prepar3D with a bunch of add-ons is like a house of cards. You'd download one update and discover that a region now has all its airstrips in pits 10m below ground level.

Schmick

The terrain looks better and better. How far away are we from a Forza Horizon World using this technology? Maybe next gen already?

Those missions fix the problem I have with the current flight sim. It becomes boring very fast, because there is not much to do other than flying around.
Check this out.

I can image games being produced using this technology to recreate real world places into games.

Buggy Loop

Playground’s engine is insane and Asobo are wizards. The step up from MFS20 is beyond what i expected, hell, I didn’t expect a new flight sim so soon. It must be doing well.

Last edited:

Schmick

Since 99% of DLC's from 2020 will work with 2024 I'd much prefer they end 2020 and have every player move over to 2024. I wouldn't want a split community.

To do this they'll obviously have to offer incentives to current 2020 players who have purchased the game. In the best case scenario this would simply be a free upgrade to 2024.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm a little disappointed they're not just keeping the existing Flying Simulator as an ongoing service
Nothing wrong with that feeling, so I mean no offense. But you could say that about any game, f.ex. X-Plane. I think MS and Asobo already explored every possible option before landing their decision. I mean, they've done very well for the sim and community so far, so I see no reason for doubting that they've taken the necessary steps towards a sustainable solution.

Ozriel

M$FT
back in the day, flight sims used to be released every 2 years.

Going 4 years between releases is perfectly fine, as is updating the existing one. It’s a business decision.
The important thing was to ensure purchases work, and it’s somewhat reassuring they say virtually all should carry over with no issues. I was on the flight sim subreddit and that was by far the most contentious issue for the users

skyfall

Is this a a full on sim where you have to have a lot of real life knowelege? Or can play it somewhat casually?

calistan

Nothing wrong with that feeling, so I mean no offense. But you could say that about any game, f.ex. X-Plane. I think MS and Asobo already explored every possible option before landing their decision. I mean, they've done very well for the sim and community so far, so I see no reason for doubting that they've taken the necessary steps towards a sustainable solution.
Sure, I think it has been great value. The amount of stuff in the deluxe edition to begin with, plus the free scenery updates, no other flight sim has done that.

It just seems a shame to be leaving this one behind completely. It's called Flight Simulator so I assumed it was the 'forever' version. I don't mind paying for a major upgrade, every other sim works that way, but I'd like to keep everything together under one roof, with my settings and progress intact.

On the plus side, at least we might finally be rid of the 'line across the horizon' bug.

nkarafo

back in the day, flight sims used to be released every 2 years.

Going 4 years between releases is perfectly fine, as is updating the existing one. It’s a business decision.

Back in the day, flight sims were offline single player programs with hardly any mods or community, just like most other single player games.

But ever since Flight Simulator X, the series is basically an online service. That entry lasted for what, 14 years? So how is 4 years fine for a service? Or you expect it to continue to be supported? Nah, it will get phased out so everyone migrates to the new one. Nobody will want to maintain two different installs that don't look that much different anyway. It's not like the jump in graphics tech is as massive as X vs 2020, is it?

Of course it's a business decision. A new entry = new sales. But business decisions don't always cater to the consumer's best interest. Especially the ones who invested a lot of time and money in it.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Is this a a full on sim where you have to have a lot of real life knowelege? Or can play it somewhat casually?
It can be a full sim if you want to, but you can also put all the assists on and just casually fly without worrying about crashing or mis-handling the planes.

You can even enable a AI pilot to fly the plane for you, taking-off, going to POIs near you, and then land the plane (or just exit the flight).
Then you can enjoy the view while it flys by itself.

And you don't need a joystick, controller mapping is quite good.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Looks great! My most hyped game for next year. I think the first one did quite well on xbox, so hopefully they make it just a tad more controller friendly, specifically the menu’s. Flying with a controller felt fine

Top Bottom