• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerotan

What does that have to do with anything lol.

You guys are acting like Sony is so terrified of game pass that they put a "must not come to game pass" requirement in any contract lol.

I doubt Sony gives a fuck about Microsoft having a game on game pass day one when there's three times as many PlayStation users.
It's a pretty basic thing to do and anybody with a brain knows it happens. Imagine Microsoft had a big 3rd party marketing deal which every year they have multiple and Sony went and put it on ps plus or extra Day 1? Of course MS would have that covered in a contract.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't get your angle of not wanting to counter my point. An easy rebuttal would have been that "the market decides!", and in NA - as it stands - they've decided it is exactly as Xbox have stated, that it is a next-gen system.

My rebuttal would then possibly be that the market is still to decide, and we'll see when the number of households in NA (and further afield) where a PS5 is bought after a XsS, and then we see the relative market share by digital/physical software sales, and subs.

I don't dispute it is released as a next-gen system, but for my miniscule contribution to the market deciding, I disagree personally, but am happy for everyone else to agree with Xbox, if that's what they've done.

I'm confused. If you're doing a comparison on subs, why would you expect the XSS not to hold its own with Gamepass subscriptions, when that console is perfectly tailored for digital only, and when the significantly expanded Xbox first party puts games in Gamepass at a much faster clip than we have today?

Microsoft are perfectly happy with your $15 monthly sub. Even if you play other games elsewhere

PaintTinJr

It’s a next gen system because it has the same CPU and RNDA2 GPU as the Series X.
See, the hardware shouldn't matter if you can take the market with you. The original Xbox was more powerful than the Wii, but they didn't use that to compete against the Wii (aswell as the 360), because it wasn't a viable gen system having failed to carve out enough market share.

The Zx 81 and 48K Spectrum, and the Vic20 and C64 all shared similar CPUs, but the formers we cut adrift with software - in spite of that - because the market said games with 48KB or more was the new requirement. Then the Spectrum+2 and +3, despite being improvements in the same way could never unshackle themselves from the 48KB system compatibility requirement.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It's a pretty basic thing to do and anybody with a brain knows it happens. Imagine Microsoft had a big 3rd party marketing deal which every year they have multiple and Sony went and put it on ps plus or extra Day 1? Of course MS would have that covered in a contract.

The point of a marketing deal is usually to associate a game with your brand pre-release and help drive hardware sales. At or post-release, it ceases to matter. It's like saying Sony has it written in the contract that the publisher can't offer a discount on competing platforms post launch.

There's really no point in applying a Capcom deal to an Activision deal. Activision are a much bigger player, could afford to hold Sony by the balls and drive a tougher negotiation. No telling what Kotick signed away for the marketing deal.

We'll only know for certain when the deal is closed

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No I literally had the word "myth" along with the claim of S being the leading sales consoles, which is false, had nothing to do with the PS5, you can't read.
You don't seem to realize that he's talking about the last 3 quarters. XSS shipped MORE units than the XSX during that period.
Your own quote literally says Series X, are you doing any reading at all? I never said anything about the S in that quote.
I know you didn't. He said there are stock issues and you brought up XSX and NOT the XSS. Hmm. I wonder why.
No you didn't, you addressed the same post you didn't read correctly before. The PS5 situation is a completely different argument, stop being lazy, click the link, read the post, and respond. You'll see you haven't addressed a thing in it.

I read it. I asked you a simple question and you couldn't answer it. You keep throwing around the word excuse, but as soon as I ask you a simple question that would throw your entire post upside down, you're unable to do it.

Why did the PS5 lose during those months despite shipping more units?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Whatever keeps you sleeping at night bro lol.

Be careful on being cocky. It can backfire quickly.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

12 pages of this shit.

Series X is Rad, Game Pass is super rad. Hope Sony keeps upping their subscription game to meet Xbox on this high-value playing field.
This.

I feel your pain, people love to smell their own shit. Always the same big shit.

jurassic park deal with it GIF
Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

Last edited:

ManaByte

See, the hardware shouldn't matter if you can take the market with you. The original Xbox was more powerful than the Wii, but they did use that to compete against the Wii (aswell as the 360), because it wasn't a viable gen system having failed to carve out enough market share.

The Zx 81 and 48K Spectrum, and the Vic20 and C64 all shared similar CPUs, but the formers we cut adrift with software - in spite of that - because the market said games with 48KB or more was the new requirement. Then the Spectrum+2 and +3, despite being improvements in the same way could never unshackle themselves from the 48KB system compatibility requirement.
Please provide proof of a XSX game that won’t run on XSS.

PaintTinJr

I'm confused. If you're doing a comparison on subs, why would you expect the XSS not to hold its own with Gamepass subscriptions, when that console is perfectly tailored for digital only, and when the significantly expanded Xbox first party puts games in Gamepass at a much faster clip than we have today?

Microsoft are perfectly happy with your $15 monthly sub. Even if you play other games elsewhere
I wasn't talking subs in isolation, but as a combination with digital/physical. Gamepass so long as it expands its reach and numbers way beyond Xbox and PC xbox digital game buying user, but if it cannibalizes first party software on XsX/PC, and XsS only customers end up using as their hardware as an indie or minecraft box, or just to access the first party games, and the overlap of customer (probably was +40m on 360) buy their multiplats on PS5, and still have a PS5 PS+ sub, and still buy PS5 exclusives, that's not going to paint a great viable next-gen view of the XsS for devs trying to get sales on it.

Xbox in the next 3-4years probably need at least 10-20M XsS only gamers that are readily buying next-gen games on that system to make it viable for devs to keep up support IMO - because when the GC only had an install base of 10M it had its support dropped iirc.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Please provide proof of a XSX game that won’t run on XSS.
Why are you asking me something that isn't relevant to our discussion and not something I ever claimed? That sentence is a complete strawman.

It feels like you just want to shout me down, because you don't want to discuss the valid points I have made that contradict what you are trying to assert.

DaGwaphics

I wasn't talking subs in isolation, but as a combination with digital/physical. Gamepass so long as it expands its reach and numbers way beyond Xbox and PC xbox digital game buying user, but if it cannibalizes first party software on XsX/PC, and XsS only customers end up using as their hardware as an indie or minecraft box, or just to access the first party games, and the overlap of customer (probably was +40m on 360) buy their multiplats on PS5, and still have a PS5 PS+ sub, and still buy PS5 exclusives, that's not going to paint a great viable next-gen view of the XsS for devs trying to get sales on it.

Xbox in the next 3-4years probably need at least 10-20M XsS only gamers that are readily buying next-gen games on that system to make it viable for devs to keep up support IMO - because when the GC only had an install base of 10M it had its support dropped iirc.

I just posted a link to NPD data from back then that didn't come up with numbers anything like that. I'd be shocked if there was anywhere near half that number, tbh. And the libraries were a lot more diverse back then. It just doesn't make sense for a lot of people, especially today with the amount of overlap in games available.

Last edited:
Didn't address a single thing in my post, which was primarily focusing on NA and other regions with similar results. You clearly couldn't address the post so skipped it and then spun the topic. How about actually addressing the post?
No. I included my post which you responded to with spin. Respond to what said or don’t respond at all.

Woopah

Genuine question, how does the XsS in a household where a gamer has both an XsS and PS5 only, compete for Microsoft - in a next-gen way - for sales of mutliplatform game's licensing money - where games have price parity, and aren't part of a marketing deal with exclusive content or on PS+/gamepass?

Under normal circumstances would anyone bother checking a faceoff between a 4TF AMD GPU and a 10TF AMD GPU of the same gen? Surely to be next-gen - by more than being described and marketed that way by Xbox - it has to actually be able to compete for multiplatform sales of next-gen games too, no?

Completely fine if don't agree, by the way.
This is not true. Wii was in the same generation as 360 and PS3 even though it had a very different library. Regardless of its success or failure, Xbox Series is in the same generation as the PS5 (and maybe Switch as well).

Microsoft can just make a rule that any game released for Series X has to run on Series S too. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have that rule.

Why are you forgetting months where Xbox outsold PS5 in those regions this year?

Where did that stock come from if they are only shipping to NA?

There seems to be some holes in your theories.
I said the last quarter. Which quarter did Xbox Series outsell ps5 WW?

Yes it did. You are wrong.

Prove to me the LUNCH of the Xbox was so bad that they were going to kill the brand.

Meanwhile, here's a link showing they sold 1 million in 24 hours
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sells-over-1-million-consoles-in-24-hours/1100-6416349/

No. I included my post which you responded to with spin. Respond to what said or don’t respond at all.
Dude, you didn't address my post at all. You went off-topic.

I read it. I asked you a simple question and you couldn't answer it.
A question that had nothing to do with the post you just lied about reading. Read and address the post.

Also are you saying the PS5 outshipped the X in the US?

You don't seem to realize that he's talking about the last 3 quarters. XSS shipped MORE units than the XSX during that period.

Ok, that has nothing to do with the myth that overall the Xbox Series S is ahead of the X in sales. Repeating what I said in the post you didn't read, every recent numbers we got from countries/regions that split the too had the X ahead, and for those who didn't the amount is marginal, like japan or worse,.

So until there's current data showing otherwise it's a myth based on an assumption.

Lognor

Banned
Prove to me the LUNCH of the Xbox was so bad that they were going to kill the brand.

Meanwhile, here's a link showing they sold 1 million in 24 hours
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sells-over-1-million-consoles-in-24-hours/1100-6416349/
My bad. I went back to my first post. I thought I had linked to Spencer's comments.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020... of video game console,launch of the Xbox One.

If you don't believe Spencer's own words, I don't know what to tell you.

PaintTinJr

This is not true. Wii was in the same generation as 360 and PS3 even though it had a very different library. Regardless of its success or failure, Xbox Series is in the same generation as the PS5 (and maybe Switch as well).
But buying a wii version of CoD probably didn't stop the same gamer buying it on their PS3/360 also, so it isn't equivalent because the Wii games were typically built in isolation of the main HDready versions.
Microsoft can just make a rule that any game released for Series X has to run on Series S too. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have that rule.
They can and will already have it in place, but at some point the cost of XsS development could then put the XsX getting a version of a game in jeopardy because dev costs will override. When true PS5 first party games start showing a huge step up from the HFW and Spiderman Morales cross-gen with next-gen features, 3rd party devs will want to keep pace with PS5 first party visuals and that won't be so easy when the XsS is in the mix

But buying a wii version of CoD probably didn't stop the same gamer buying it on their PS3/360 also, so it isn't equivalent because the Wii games were typically built in isolation of the main HDready versions.
I think you're overestimating how much COD sold on the wii.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
A question that had nothing to do with the post you just lied about reading. Read and address the post.

Also are you saying the PS5 outshipped the X in the US?

There's no one lying. You just don't know what you're talking about. When I ask direct questions related to your posts, you just have an excuse not to answer my question.

Sony was outshipping Xbox even in NA most of the console cycle so far, which means the only thing that changed even with PS5 productivity becomingbetter, was MS finding a way to produce more units over time until they ended up outshipping the PS5. In NA this is quite interesting because with PS5 production increasing, the Xbox production of the X was increasing at a higher rate, and people were still buying those consoles with those gradual increases, this means you can't actually blame supply constraints for PS5 sales in the three months MS won, because consumers were buying Series X as its production increase over time until it passed the production levels of the PS5.

You're contradicting yourself. Xbox production increased at a higher rate, but you can't blame supply constraints for PS5 sales.

I read it. Your entire argument is surrounded by this point and that's why I asked you the specific question. Your statement is not backed up by facts.

This simply means that the demand was actually higher in NA for the X and not the PS5, otherwise the PS5 should have produced a much bigger gap in NA to the Xbox Series consoles in sales and would also mean there should be MANY Xbox Series X on the shelves, Xbox One Titanfall levels, or launch Xbox One edition levels, if the PS5 demand was higher, and MS's increase in production wasn't based on it's own demand. But there isn't, it's still supply constrained, with the few places having a bit better supply, still greatly below what would be considered "normal" stock levels.
You don't on one hand say they were producing the console at a higher rate and then say the demand was higher for the X.

Where are your stats that back up this claim? Where are the numbers?

All we're getting from Mat, Zhuge, and others is that the XSS was produced to meet the demand.

All information indicates that Xbox Series S has outproduced Xbox Series X within the past year.

Repeating that XSS is irrelevant when we're talking about sales over the past 3 quarters is just an easy copout.

Cite your sources and back up your claims.
Ok, that has nothing to do with the myth that overall the Xbox Series S is ahead of the X in sales.

Last 3 quarters. This is what the thread is about. I read your post in full and it's mostly not back up by facts.
Repeating what I said in the post you didn't read, every recent numbers we got from countries/regions that split the too had the X ahead, and for those who didn't the amount is marginal, like japan or worse,.

So until there's current data showing otherwise it's a myth based on an assumption.

All recent analyses confirm that the XSS has been ramping up in production to fill the void.
Famitsu Sales: 12/13/21 – 12/19/21
Xbox Series X – 2,282 (73,190)
Xbox Series S – 607 (53,832)

Famitsu Sales: 7/18/22 – 7/24/22
Xbox Series X – 2,884 (127,800)
Xbox Series S – 2,128 (146,237)

The example here is from Japan. Late last year the XSS was down 19k units versus the XSX. Now it's ahead by 18k.

You don't have any proof that XSX is in higher demand. We do have proof that both PS5 and XSX have supply issues and that XSS helping to fill that void.

twilo99

A lot of people still happy with their 1080p TV. A young child doesn't need a Series X. They cant tell or appreciate the difference.

Of course, there are multiple good reasons to buy a current generation console at that price point. I still think $249 is the sweet spot for the XSS, but if they are selling anyway, I know nothing.

The XSS makes A LOT of sense for a lot of people.

It's like saying Sony has it written in the contract that the publisher can't offer a discount on competing platforms post launch.

Uh yeah? Price parity is a pretty obvious requirement with these things. There's no point in these contracts if your competitor is open to undercutting you.

Last edited:

Kerotan

The point of a marketing deal is usually to associate a game with your brand pre-release and help drive hardware sales. At or post-release, it ceases to matter. It's like saying Sony has it written in the contract that the publisher can't offer a discount on competing platforms post launch.

There's really no point in applying a Capcom deal to an Activision deal. Activision are a much bigger player, could afford to hold Sony by the balls and drive a tougher negotiation. No telling what Kotick signed away for the marketing deal.

We'll only know for certain when the deal is closed
Give your head a wobble mate you haven't a clue. Nobody is signing a massive advertising deal just for their rival to completely steal their thunder.

PaintTinJr

I think everyone just needs to admit that the series as an absolute genius move by Microsoft and is paying off in spades for them.

It is what it is. Just the facts.
It helps them with optics and is probably allowing them to expand the market with more people coming from crossy road style firestick gaming, as a dedicated gamepass/Minecraft machine.

In the future we'll see how well it does to sell full price copies of Madden, Fifa, etc - in place of PS5 or PC versions- and help devs/publishers sell software in households where they haven't bought it as a 2nd bedroom compliment to the XsX in the lounge.
For the device to be useful to devs having to rework PS5/XsX/high end PC software to run on it, it has to pay its way and actually account for new sales, or take sales away from PS5/PC, otherwise it is just more dev costs with no return.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah, it'd apply for a set amount of time post launch as well.

But you're also arguing for gamepass day one. Not ""post launch"". How is that any different to a discount day one?

Even games on Gamepass are sold at retail for full price.

Give your head a wobble mate you haven't a clue. Nobody is signing a massive advertising deal just for their rival to completely steal their thunder.

We’re living in a world where a Sony developed game showed up on Gamepass day one. Nothing would surprise me.

Lasha

A lot of people still happy with their 1080p TV. A young child doesn't need a Series X. They cant tell or appreciate the difference.

Nail on the head. I bought a series S for my kids and they love it. Its cheap enough to be almost disposable and it plays all MS games + all major third party releases that were not locked up by Sony or Nintendo. Gamepass is kind of neat because I can set the XSS as my "main console" to share all games with my kids while I play with them from the gamepass account on my PC. I bought a PS5 recently because I was curious and its barely been touched by comparison. Its currently serving as a much better PS4 (which is actually cool in itself).

PaintTinJr

Nail on the head. I bought a series S for my kids and they love it. Its cheap enough to be almost disposable and it plays all MS games + all major third party releases that were not locked up by Sony or Nintendo. Gamepass is kind of neat because I can set the XSS as my "main console" to share all games with my kids while I play with them from the gamepass account on my PC. I bought a PS5 recently because I was curious and its barely been touched by comparison. Its currently serving as a much better PS4 (which is actually cool in itself).
Which anecdotally sounds in sync with the point I was making, because it doesn't sound like you buying a Series S results in anymore revenue for the A-AAA devs/pubs that have to put far more effort in for the XsS port - which costs a lot, or takes time away from making their offering better on PS5/XsX/PC which would have added sales.

Xbox making money on hardware and games that don't need PS5/XsX hardware does nothing for A-AAA devs/pubs AFAIK, so at some point there could be a time when devs could afford a lower money-hat from PlayStation (for PS/PC only) because the saving on XsS dev porting might more than make up for the loss of Series sales profits.

Riky

$MSFT
Which anecdotally sounds in sync with the point I was making, because it doesn't sound like you buying a Series S results in anymore revenue for the A-AAA devs/pubs that have to put far more effort in for the XsS port - which costs a lot, or takes time away from making their offering better on PS5/XsX/PC which would have added sales.

Xbox making money on hardware and games that don't need PS5/XsX hardware does nothing for A-AAA devs/pubs AFAIK, so at some point there could be a time when devs could afford a lower money-hat from PlayStation (for PS/PC only) because the saving on XsS dev porting might more than make up for the loss of Series sales profits.
Utter rubbish, the easiest scaling is the GPU for developers, there is no evidence at all to say the Series S version is far more effort, especially in a world where One S and PS4 still exist.
Also the minimum spec on PC games is below Series S, nobody just makes high end PC games, the market decides where that bar is and publishers want to hit as many PC owners as possible.
As well as the shared GDK between Xbox and Windows which blows a hole in that whole argument, especially PC/PS5 only which sounds like a fanboy dream.
Series S is now a substantial part of the market, live with it.

Three

What does that have to do with anything lol.

You guys are acting like Sony is so terrified of game pass that they put a "must not come to game pass" requirement in any contract lol.

I doubt Sony gives a fuck about Microsoft having a game on game pass day one when there's three times as many PlayStation users.
They have it in most of their marketing deals and not just "must not come to gamepass" but a "must not come to any competing subscription service like gamepass, Stadia, etc"

The exact terms they used in a leaked previous contract:

"During the term, Publisher shall not authorise, assist or encourage any third party to include the game in any Competetive Platform subscription service, including but not limited to Google Stadia Pro subscriptions, Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold, Project xCloud or Game Pass subscription service or similar Competetive Platform subscription service,"

They have it in most of their marketing deals and not just "must not come to gamepass" but a "must not come to any competing subscription service like gamepass, Stadia, etc"

The exact terms they used in a leaked previous contract:

"During the term, Publisher shall not authorise, assist or encourage any third party to include the game in any Competetive Platform subscription service, including but not limited to Google Stadia Pro subscriptions, Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold, Project xCloud or Game Pass subscription service or similar Competetive Platform subscription service,"
That's for one game, not sure why you think it's for "most" marketing deals.

Three

That's for one game, not sure why you think it's for "most" marketing deals.
It would be negotiated for absolutely all deals whether the publisher accepted it or not is something else. I was merely showing that yes even with countless more playstations out there Sony will have something like that in the contract as they have in the past. Now why do you think they would negotiate that for one game and not one of the biggest games?

PaintTinJr

Utter rubbish, the easiest scaling is the GPU for developers, there is no evidence at all to say the Series S version is far more effort, especially in a world where One S and PS4 still exist.
Also the minimum spec on PC games is below Series S, nobody just makes high end PC games, the market decides where that bar is and publishers want to hit as many PC owners as possible.
As well as the shared GDK between Xbox and Windows which blows a hole in that whole argument, especially PC/PS5 only which sounds like a fanboy dream.
Series S is now a substantial part of the market, live with it.
Going by how cross gen games have been scaling on the Series S and it can't even match or better cross gen of the X1X, the evidence so far contradicts your statement, even with it being substantially easier, now than scaling down for games that will likely have lead development on the PS5 with its custom geometry engine in the coming years.

Moving a PS5 lead game to DirectX for XsX and probably a baseline of a 2060 super/3060/4050ti in 2years is a different problem from targeting an AMD RX 6500XT. Yes it will be doable, but it is work, so needs to pay its way, which is the problem I believe it will have in the eyes of devs/pubs.

Last edited:

Three

Because it would be way more expensive.
No it wouldn't because CoD has good sales and would be less likely to have to go to those subs to begin with but whatever I don't want to get into a back and forth with you. All I was showing is that

"I doubt Sony gives a fuck about Microsoft having a game on game pass day one"

Is a silly thing to say because they have gave a shit for other smaller games and they would give a shit with all their deals.

Riky

$MSFT
Going by how cross gen games have been scaling on the Series S and it can't even match or better cross gen of the X1X, the evidence so far contradicts your statement, even with it being substantially easier, now than scaling down for games that will likely have lead development on the PS5 with its custom geometry engine in the coming years.

Moving a PS5 lead game to DirectX for XsX and probably a baseline of a 2060 super/3060/4050ti in 2years is a different problem from targeting an AMD RX 6500XT. Yes it will be doable, but it is work, so needs to pay its way, which is the problem I believe it will have in the eyes of devs/pubs.

It more than doubles the framerate of X1X in many games, I'd say that was more than matching, also Metro and The Matrix demo which aren't possible in their Series S forms last gen. So again, utter rubbish. We can see with FH5, twice the framerate of X1X.
The biggest userbase is PC and with a shared GDK and UE5 being major inputs I would expect that to be lead platform going forward. As for custom Geometry Engine, you mean primitive Shaders? What exactly is it and where is it documented?

PC games are still targeting specs far older than two years old, go look at minimum specs and get back to me for the average PC game, my PC with a 2012 AMD CPU is still running games at 1080p 60fps today, that's how quickly the baseline moves.

Three

Holy shit!!! Colteastwood was right; Xbox IS the new market leader this generation.
Colt is an idiot. Colt said xbox outsold PS5 this quarter globally and he explicitly mentions globally as a you heard it here first after this NA news came out. It didn't. Xbox hardware was down -11% and PS5 sales up 4% (hardware +12%). PS5 likely outsold xbox globally by some margin.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

This makes absolutely no sense. There will always be an addressable audience of millions of gamers who own just a Series S. Scaling a game down to Series S isn’t the incredibly expensive venture you thing it is.

I wonder if you realize that ‘PC’ isn’t a single SKU, and devs have already been making games with a wide range of PC specs in mind. So you’re making up a scenario where it would be tough for devs to target two Xbox SKUs, but will miraculously be able to program for minimum, recommended and maximum PC requirements.

Give this train of thought a rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom