• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukhopops

So many people parroting the argument that people buy Series consoles because they can’t buy PS5.

Do you even believe that? You think people who want to play Spider-Man or whatever other first party franchise will just switch to a different brand just because they can’t find a PS5 in a shop?

Would you personally do that? Of course not. Stop lying to yourselves.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Someday many of those Series S machines are going to get traded up for a Series X or whatever the next Series letters will be.
All those Series S machines are going to find homes elsewhere and all the games are going to move along with you.

I've checked my Playstation friend list and I think everyone on there has a trophy for Astrobot Playroom. That means all my friends must be sneaking over to my house and playing my PS5.
Honey, you got some 'splaining to do.
Exactly. S or X makes no difference. These are people buying into the Xbox ecosystem. This is honestly a huge win for MS regardless of why it has happened.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The thing I find funny is, all the playstation fanboys say that the series S is a joke and doesn't sell, it just sits there on shelves and is always in stock.....then they say the only xbox that is selling is the series S and that's the only reason they are beating the ps5....

....so basically the series S is a genius console because it selling like hot cakes and is available as it's easier to manufacture....I love it!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So many people parroting the argument that people buy Series consoles because they can’t buy PS5.

Do you even believe that? You think people who want to play Spider-Man or whatever other first party franchise will just switch to a different brand just because they can’t find a PS5 in a shop?

You go from "Average consumer" to "SONY consumer" within two sentences, failing to acknowledge that both groups are clearly different sizes. The group of people who just want a current generation machine is a lot bigger than folks who are interested in being platform locked. Because of course it is.

Which has nothing to do with the post I replied to. Dial back your fanboyism.

Literally replied to your exact reply, to my message. So if it had nothing to do with the post, you were the one replying with something that had nothing to do with the post, not me.

Also, not a fanboy in any way, shape or form.

Maybe grow up?

Last edited:
11 pages, good Xbox news is provocative, it gets the people going.

Jay Z GIF by Kanye West

pasterpl

From evidence i've seen in Australia, having a Series X available on Microsoft's store page will last for well over 24 hours. PS5 on the Sony sites lasts minutes...
We already established that ms managed to get better production capacity than Sony. So with example above, I have to ask you a question: do you know how many units each had? If not, this example is shit. 10,000 Xbox series x will take 24h to sell while 100 units of ps5 will get sold out in minutes. Mystery solved.

I am just making a point that without number of units being available the time it takes each to sold out in Australia means nothing, have zero impact and it is stupid point to make unless you are younger than 7 years old.

Ozriel

M$FT
Are you really not familiar with this concept? Here's a definition from Investopedia; beyond that, I can't think of a better approach to break it down any further.

R9rtyln.jpg

... and by this definition, the Series S and X fall into the same segment since they play the exact same games, have the same software features and have the exact same subscription service.

Chukhopops

You go from "Average consumer" to "SONY consumer" within two sentences, failing to acknowledge that both groups are clearly different sizes. The group of people who just want a current generation machine is a lot bigger than folks who are interested in being platform locked. Because of course it is.
Did you ever buy a Honor phone because there was no Samsung or iPhone available? A PC laptop instead of a Mac?

People know if they want to buy a Switch or a PS5 or an Xbox, and if they don’t they ask around. You think millions of people came to a shop and dropped 300 bucks on something they didn’t want and for what? Just to pass time until what they actually want is available?

Come on now, this is dumb and you know it.

So all these people who were looking for next gen consoles who couldn't find a ps5 ? Ended up buying a series x ? Is that the argument we are going with now ?
A guy who wanted to play ratchet and clank or demon souls or any other sony exclusive went ahead and bought a series s or x ? Do u know how stupid this sounds ?

Literally replied to your exact reply, to my message. So if it had nothing to do with the post, you were the one replying with something that had nothing to do with the post, not me.

Also, not a fanboy in any way, shape or form.

Maybe grow up?
Moron.

The person I replied to said that up until NOW the Xbox was nothing in Japan, I reminded him not you, that the Xbox 360 sold over 1.5 million there.

You then made a post with some stupid excuse about how 360's in Japan don't count, You should take your own advice and again, dial back the fanboyism.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
... and by this definition, the Series S and X fall into the same segment since they play the exact same games, have the same software features and have the exact same subscription service.

Same market. Different segments. Both great console choices for consumers.

MacReady13

We already established that ms managed to get better production capacity than Sony. So with example above, I have to ask you a question: do you know how many units each had? If not, this example is shit. 10,000 Xbox series x will take 24h to sell while 100 units of ps5 will get sold out in minutes. Mystery solved.

I am just making a point that without number of units being available the time it takes each to sold out in Australia means nothing, have zero impact and it is stupid point to make unless you are younger than 7 years old.
Regardless my friend, every single time Xbox releases series x in Australia it takes FAR longer for them to sell out than PS5 consoles. How are any of us to know these numbers? Same argument could be leveled at Microsoft spouting off these sales numbers and not telling us their allocations are far bigger than anywhere else around the world, hence their sales numbers in the USA. Point is, PS5 is so scarce that anyone bragging about another console selling more than it is stupid, and anyone who believes this Microsoft bullshit makes them younger than a 7 year old.

MacReady13

I should also add that it is so good to see Microsoft finally start talking about console sales again, considering they were so hesitant to mention them pretty much for the whole of last gen. It didn't really matter to them then, but now...!

TBiddy

Impressive and well deserved. Boasting that it's outselling the PS5 is a bit odd, since the stock situation is still unsure for both of the main consoles.

Outselling the 360 is very good though. Why did this thread evolve to 11 pages?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Boasting that it's outselling the PS5 is a bit odd, since the stock situation is still unsure for both of the main consoles.

Nah, the Series S (like the Switch) can easily be found in stores. I've never seen a XSX or PS5 on a store shelf, but you can pretty regularly get a XSX direct from MS and I don't think it's ever sold out through All Access either.

The only console at the moment having real supply issues is the PS5, both versions, and again it's likely due to Sony's manufacturing and shipping issues due to lockdowns in China than actual component shortages.

The person I replied to said that up until NOW the Xbox was nothing in Japan, I reminded him not you, that the Xbox 360 sold over 1.5 million there.

You then made a post with some stupid excuse about how 360's in Japan don't count, You should take your own advice and again, dial back the fanboyism.
Moron.

Oh, good Lord… the term “grow up” wouldn’t even begin to help you out.

I’m just gonna make a mental note to permanently ignore anything you spout off from now on.

Hopefully I don’t see you around!

Last edited:

Nydius

....so basically the series S is a genius console
Misleading consumers into believing they're buying a "next gen" console when it is inferior in every way to the XSX and the PS5 and is, in no way, "next gen" is genius? We have vastly different definitions of the term "genius". I prefer the term manipulative.

People buying Series S's today are buying a system that is already having issues running current games at 1440p or 1080p/60 and we're barely at the start of this generation because of COVID delays.

Hype it up as much as you want, Microsoft can only claim these "amazing" numbers because they're selling an inferior product and counting it as equal to their premium SKU. And I strongly disagree with Hendrick's assertion that these people are going to magically turn around and drop another $500 on top of the $300 (and probably the other $200 for storage) they've already spent on the Series S.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Misleading consumers into believing they're buying a "next gen" console when it is inferior in every way to the XSX and the PS5 and is, in no way, "next gen" is genius? We have vastly different definitions of the term "genius". I prefer the term manipulative.

People buying Series S's today are buying a system that is already having issues running current games at 1440p or 1080p/60 and we're barely at the start of this generation because of COVID delays.

Hype it up as much as you want, Microsoft can only claim these "amazing" numbers because they're selling an inferior product and counting it as equal to their premium SKU. And I strongly disagree with Hendrick's assertion that these people are going to magically turn around and drop another $500 on top of the $300 (and probably the other $200 for storage) they've already spent on the Series S.

You're saying consumers are being tricked? Like seriously? I mean that's fine if you want, but I don't think consumers are that dumb. Or if they even care in anyway at what you are getting at. The switch is outselling everything and is like one tenth the power of the series s.

The customers buying a series s want a cheaper small console that plays the current games and they wouldn't even think, know or understand the difference between 1440p or 1080p. You're just trying to find an angle to attack but millions upon million of people don't give a shit, they want to know if it will play fortnite, Minecraft, fall guys, Call Of Duty, fifa, madden, apex legends, whatever else and the series s plays all those games perfectly well and will do for the majority of the generation.

It's selling, and reviewing well on all major sites that offer user reviews so your argument is completely invalid.

I would put money that the loading times of the series s will blow customers away more than the next gen power of a consoles graphics on a 4k TV. Especially all these cross gen games.

Last edited:

Crm114

The new Xbox's being pretty much the best emulator you can buy without spending way more on a capable PC must be a huge driving factor as well. So easy to set up and get going.

Good for Microsoft and good for gamers more competition is always a positive.

There's nothing misleading about it, or are you claiming that Series S is not a next-gen console?

Orbital2060

The Series S has the same CPU and SSD (capabilities) as the Series X. Those are what makes it a next gen console. The only difference is in the amount of teraflops the gpu puts out, and some differences in the memory allocations. Digital Foundry covered this, and returned to it later as well (in the followup article by Oliver).

You just have to deal with the fact that Xbox made a console that is next gen while also being as low priced as it is.

Flight Sim; the Matrix demo. These are next gen games/demos running on the Series S.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Did you ever buy a Honor phone because there was no Samsung or iPhone available? A PC laptop instead of a Mac?

People know if they want to buy a Switch or a PS5 or an Xbox, and if they don’t they ask around. You think millions of people came to a shop and dropped 300 bucks on something they didn’t want and for what? Just to pass time until what they actually want is available?

Point to where I said that.

- this is dumb -

. . .on that we agree.

The only console at the moment having real supply issues is the PS5, both versions, and again it's likely due to Sony's manufacturing and shipping issues due to lockdowns in China than actual component shortages.

Amazing that they managed to avoid one global crisis and not the other.

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
It’s like some here genuinely believe Microsoft tapped CNN on the shoulder to hold a special press briefing just to brag.

God forbid…you know a publicly traded company highlighting positive trends in markets they are competing with a product they are selling in a mandatory earnings call.

ManaByte

Amazing that they managed to avoid one global crisis and not the other.

The semiconductor shortage is basically over and has been most of the year. The problem for the last six months has been that China has been locking down major port cities like Ningbo and Tianjin. So even though Sony could get chips to produce PS5s, since they use Foxconn they couldn't get the consoles out of the country with the ports locked down.

Oh, good Lord… the term “grow up” wouldn’t even begin to help you out.

I’m just gonna make a mental note to permanently ignore anything you spout off from now on.

Hopefully I don’t see you around!

So your mistake (or trolling) is pointed out and now you run off, you also quote me by incident two times in the same post,

If you weren't just being a troll you'd actually address the fact that your post had nothing to do with our conversation and move on, but apparently you'd rather have a breakdown instead? Just bizarre.

How slow you are doesn't matter, I was telling another user that the 360 sold over 1.5 million in Japan, you replied with an off-topic teary eyed rant downplaying those sales. When i point out that it's unrelated to the conversation you have a meltdown. Doesn't sound like you're a reasonable individual.

Last edited:
This is incredible news—it truly is the best console this gen so far and a lot of fun. Can’t wait to see when it picks up steam and we start seeing games like Starfield drop for it.
I'm not of the same opinion and I own a series x and no PS5 yet but I feel we haven't had those AAA blockbuster games as of yet, this year was going to change that but unfortunately we have to wait.

Three

You salty I called you out on your made up shit. Deal with it. And you still can't comprehend my post. SMH. Take the L.
Salty about what? You said:

That says something about Sony. They haven't been able to overcome their supply chain issues. Microsoft is still having issues, but have been much more successful at this. They've been able to produce a ton of units to keep up with demand because of the less in-demand chip they're using in the Series S. Sony should have gone a similar route. The PS5 and PS5 discless version are too similar and thus they're both facing supply issues.

When somebody said PS5s are sold out.
I replied saying production of PS5s are greater than Series S + Series X combined so they are doing a greater job on the supply chain. Then you started talking about it being bullshit and asking about a source. Instead what about you provide a source for your claim that MS has overcome their supply issues or what they have been successful at in the supply chain and what you think it says about sony? What does it say other than the fact that Sony produce more units even with the bigger chip?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They ere outshipping Xbox nearly this Whole console cycle until recently, this doesn't work.

Also the XSS has no relevance, the belief it's the biggest selling console or is mostly responsible for sales has no basis. But the belief in that myth is why people are so mad about the S and want to split its sales.
You're just in denial at this point.

XSS hasn't gone out of stock in over a year.

PS5 was barely in stock until recently. Sony said they were going to ship more units this upcoming fiscal year and the results are sowing.

PS5 was second in Units in June

This was a bigger increase over last year, which proves stock issues.

In May, Matt Mention Supply constraints and didn't include XSS. Xbox was the only console showing YoY dollar growth, which again proves my point.

In the UK, stock levels were reported. Somehow you believe this is a myth.

Stock were low from Jan - March, but the PS5 started winning ever since the stock picked up?

Stay in denial. lol

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s like some here genuinely believe Microsoft tapped CNN on the shoulder to hold a special press briefing just to brag.

God forbid…you know a publicly traded company highlighting positive trends in markets they are competing with a product they are selling in a mandatory earnings call.
They had to apologize for having exclusives for years. People get very upset.

Rivet

I love how "good Xbox news" is gaming revenue being down 7 % and hardware sales being down 11 % year over year. Talk about low expectations in life. I have to wonder what would be considered as bad news at this point.

And I know times have been tough for the green team, but partying about stock levels is kinda sad.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Jay Z GIF by Kanye West
Are you the guy who shows up in every single Horizon sales thread just to tell people that HFW wouldn't sell nearly as well if it wasn't for bundles?

You think that is fine, but we can't point out the fact that PS5 has supply issues? lol

Ozriel

M$FT
I love how "good Xbox news" is gaming revenue being down 7 % and hardware sales being down 11 % year over year. Expectations must have been very low.

I wonder what would be considered as bad news at this point.

I believe the full story was "11% down on hardware but still selling very well in North America, with supply not yet able to meet demand"

Let's not excise the bits that triggered you so much 😂

It's going to be a long gen for you, that's for sure.

Stuart360

So yesterday we had a thread talking about how 360 really only sold 40 mil as people had to buy multiple 360's (even though the fact that the vast majority of multiplatform games sold better on 360 than PS3, basically destroying that myth), to today where the Xbox Series consoles are selling well, but only selling well because everyone is going to buy a PS5, cant find one, and buys an Xbox instead.

Why does Xbox scare you guys so much lol?, its bizarre.

Kagey K

Banned
So yesterday we had a thread talking about how 360 really only sold 40 mil as people had to buy multiple 360's (even though the fact that the vast majority of multiplatform games sold better on 360 than PS3, basically destroying that myth), to today where the Xbox Series consoles are selling well, but only selling well because everyone is going to buy a PS5, cant find one, and buys an Xbox instead.

Why does Xbox scare you guys so much lol?, its bizarre.
Going to be a bloodbath tomorrow if the news isn't good. (I don't expect it to be) Going to see a pile of backpeddeling and excuses.

I've seen this movie before. 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom