• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony relationship question.

93xfan

Banned
If Sony is actually paying to keep certain games off of Xbox, do you expect MS to continue doing “goodwill gestures” such as the Fallout 4, Doom Eternal and Skyrim next gen patches?

Should Microsoft continue giving them games like the quake remaster or Minecraft games day and date? Curious what everyone thinks and please be respectful.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
If Sony is actually paying to keep certain games off of Xbox, do you expect MS to continue doing goodwill gestures such as the Fallout 4, Doom Eternal and Skyrim next gen patches?

Should Microsoft continue giving them games like the quake remaster or Mineshaft games day and date? Curious what everyone thinks and please be respectful.
1. Yes. MS does the same.
2. Yes. As long as it makes financial sense.

Skifi28

They are not goodwill gestures but business. They probably expect it will make them more money to support playstation with little releases like these. Nobody would buy an Xbox for games that have been out for over a decade, so might as well make as much money as possible. Sony also releases MLB on xbox, certainly not out of sheer goodwill.

As for timed exclusivity.... Both Sony and MS do it, It has no relevance. This isn't two people holding grudges against each other.

Last edited:

Three

Microsoft would have mineshafted them already if it meant more sales or if they didn’t need them as precedent for acquisitions. They're going to do this eventually and it isn't going to be because Sony made any third party deals. If anything i believe MS are going to ramp those up too and fanboys are going to have to make an excuse why this or that game is different.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
They aren’t goodwill. It’s all about money, pr, and existing contracts and deals.
I have a hard time believing that there’s a contract for next GEN patches.

And even if it’s about money for some of these releases, they could always choose to do timed exclusives if they wanted, m other incentives. If I was them, I would do something to incentivize the practice of blocking games on Xbox to stop.

93xfan

Banned
They are not goodwill gestures but business. They probably expect it will make them more money to support playstation with little releases like these. Nobody would buy an Xbox for games that have been out for over a decade, so might as well make as much money as possible. Sony also releases MLB on xbox, certainly not out of sheer goodwill.

As for timed exclusivity.... Both Sony and MS do it. It has no relevance.
MLB isn’t a choice for Sony in my understanding

Pelta88

If Sony is actually paying to keep certain games off of Xbox, do you expect MS to continue doing goodwill gestures such as the Fallout 4, Doom Eternal and Skyrim next gen patches?

Should Microsoft continue giving them games like the quake remaster or Mineshaft games day and date? Curious what everyone thinks and please be respectful.

Securing content for your platform isn't a new concept in entertainment.

Kilau

CaRvWxFUkAArP_Z

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think for patches, updates. Yes as goodwill and contract of course.

For sequels and new IP, no.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

It's business and dollars on both sides. That's it. No Phil Kumbaya campfires, no Jim protecting the kids... just money.

Last edited:

Three

And even if it’s about money for some of these releases, they could always choose to do timed exclusives if they wanted, m other incentives. If I was them, I would do something to incentivize the practice of blocking games on Xbox to stop.
What you're saying about good will gestures aren't good will gestures. It's always been the plan to do what you're suggesting

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-bethesda-first-better-best

They put on a "good guy" show when acquisitions were going through regulators but make no mistake that they are not doing anything out of good will. Third party deals have nothing to do with this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

For all the bragging about how PlayStation is destroying Xbox, how there’s nothing to play on Xbox, yada, yada, it makes no sense for Microsoft to put anything on PlayStation.
Future Doom, Quake, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc need to be Xbox/PC only.

Microsoft needs to give more reasons to choose Xbox over PlayStation, and putting their games on PlayStation, or supporting them with future upgrades doesn’t help sell Xboxes. Good will means nothing when you’re helping people who aren’t buying your hardware.

In reality I don’t expect Sony to update their PS4 games for PS6. At some point there’s going to be a cut off of support.

Last edited:

Three

Microsoft needs to give more reasons to choose Xbox over PlayStation, and putting their games on PlayStation, or supporting them with future upgrades doesn’t help sell Xboxes. Good will means nothing when you’re helping people who aren’t buying your hardware.

It doesn't help sell games either. That's why it's a balance. How much more xbox sales would you have vs how much more software sales would you lose. MS could probably take any loss on those in reality and they ended up pulling them instead of having the "first or better" on xbox with Zenimax but they were also still trying to get the next acquisition through regulators. Still, prior to the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions some of these free upgrades were never promised for minecraft and in fact were xbox/PC exclusive when they were trying to push console sales, before these upgrades were 'cancelled'.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

While we may not always like the decisions made by these companies, they will now and forever do what's best for their business. If continued support on playstation platforms suit MS's business objectives, then MS will keep doing so.

Slikk360

😆 both companies pay for exclusive content, it's business one isn't more goodwill than the other no idea why your making one out to be honorable and a victim.

killatopak

It‘s not strictly a contract. There are other reasons for patches.

A person can have good will. A corporation is all about money.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah MS should keep using the 3rd party publisher they bought as a console war leverage.

It worked out brilliantly for them trying to buy ABK

SeraphJan

I'm kind of curious, can someone enlighten me why does this type of topic seems almost always attract more attention than topic that actually discusses games? I just don't get it.

For example this post was created 45 minute ago and it already attracts 28 comment (including mine of course), and another similar post that was created few hours ago already attracted 143 comment.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm kind of curious, can someone enlighten me why does this type of topic seems almost always attract more attention than topic that actually discusses games? I just don't get it.

For example this post was created 45 minute ago and it already attracts 28 comment (including mine of course), and another similar post that was created few hours ago already attracted 143 comment.
Same reasons the "news" no longer delivers news. People would rather argue and defend their tribe as opposed to promoting a diverse community of like minded individuals. We are all guilty of it.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Securing content for your platform isn't a new concept in entertainment.
For all the bragging about how PlayStation is destroying Xbox, how there’s nothing to play on Xbox, yada, yada, it makes no sense for Microsoft to put anything on PlayStation.

Definitely agree with this. We need some good competition.

In reality I don’t expect Sony to update their PS4 games for PS6. At some point there’s going to be a cut off of support.
That’s been a concern of mine. Goodbye Gravity Rush HD (and other great games) while “gamers” act as Sony’s PR for some reason. Hopefully that doesn’t actually happen, but without competition I could see it being much more likely.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Microsoft needs to give more reasons to choose Xbox over PlayStation
As great as gamepass is, that in itself is giving people less reason to choose 'Xbox'. Who needs to buy a box to play Starfield, when you can get it through gamepass for $20/mo?

Unknown?

If MS are serious about gaming, they will spend alot of money to block games from Sony.
They need to stop acting like nice guys and show their true color.

Until then, it will be the usual business. At the end of the day, its all about $$$$.
They've been doing this since the 360 days though and continue to do it.

Three

That’s been a concern of mine. Goodbye Gravity Rush HD (and other great games) while “gamers” act as Sony’s PR for some reason. Hopefully that doesn’t actually happen, but without competition I could see it being much more likely.
I don't understand the concern. Gravity Rush was a niche Vita game that got a great PS4 Remaster, TLOU was a PS3 game that got a great PS5 remake. Shadow of the Colossus was a PS2 game that got a great PS4 version. MedEvil was a PS1 game that got a PS4 remake. What's the concern of all things with sony updating their PS4 games for PS6? If the game is relevant enough to get an update then it wouldn't be goodbye. We're even on more standard hardware so I don't see this happening any time soon.

Gamerguy84

If MS are serious about gaming, they will spend alot of money to block games from Sony.
They need to stop acting like nice guys and show their true color.

Until then, it will be the usual business. At the end of the day, its all about $$$$.

They have. During the 360 days they moneyhatted a lot. They did more than money hat but that's another story. Sony started getting aggressive with it the following gen.

MS has guaranteed to continue supporting games that have already released on PS. Things like patches, upgrades wtc will continue. New games however won't get released on PS moving forward.
MS and Phil tried to play the nice guys with Sony. Sony however don't play nice guys with MS.
If nothing else hopefully this has shown MS that their goody goody attitude has no place in the console space.

I expect MS moving forward to be more aggressive with regards to exclusives.

Kumomeme

this is bussiness competition

like you cant expect MS to share their games with Sony, same goes for Sony. same goes to Nintendo.

however, we as playerbase, dont be their unpaid PR spokeperson, dont eat everything their said, dont worship their figure, dont fall into their intended narrative. we just customers and they dont hesitate to sweet talk or said things that we want to hear. there is no evil or bad. in the end this is a bussiness, not professional sport football team, not a charity either.

baphomet

MS has guaranteed to continue supporting games that have already released on PS. Things like patches, upgrades wtc will continue. New games however won't get released on PS moving forward.
MS and Phil tried to play the nice guys with Sony. Sony however don't play nice guys with MS.
If nothing else hopefully this has shown MS that their goody goody attitude has no place in the console space.

I expect MS moving forward to be more aggressive with regards to exclusives.

The contracts in place before MS bought Bethesda guarantee that the released games continue getting support. The thought that MS is just being nice and continuing to support them out of the kindness of their hearts is laughably stupid.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They are company of making money and they will do what they can if it makes them more money, that’s how 99% all companies work.

I frankly don’t give a fuck what they do as long they give me the games I care about.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
What do you even mean by that...?

Fredrik

In an interview it seemed like Xbox exclusivity wasn’t something Bethesda wished for, so I’d say even some new games in old IPs will stay as multiplats, like the next Doom. I don’t think the numbers would show that the gains in system sales from doing platform exclusives will cover the losses in software sales and bad PR from not releasing games on all platforms.

MS are specifically using Starfield as a potential system selling exclusive for a reason, they can do that because it’s a new IP so there won’t be millions of people feeling like they lost a game as if they would do it with Doom.

If we assume that PlayStation 5 is outselling Xbox 2:1, then the calculation is that it’s easier for Sony to ignore 1/3 of the high end market than for Xbox to ignore 2/3 of the market. Publishers take that into consideration when doing marketing and or exclusivity deals.

Look at the PS4 for example. You’d need to basically offset all of the money a game would be projected to make, and the negative PR hit, to forgo a PlayStation release and do an exclusivity deal with Xbox. Currently the PS5 is on a similar sales trajectory to the PS4. If you are a publisher, what deal makes the most sense?

Now you could argue that Xbox have a lot of money and it doesn’t matter - pay the money be damned. The issue is that not all Xbox gamers will buy those ‘deal’ games so it’s entirely possible they’d make a loss on each deal of that kind. So they’d make a loss on their hardware, potentially make a loss on including it in GamePass (some will increase subs and some won’t) and then make a loss on getting some games on the platform.

I’m quite interested in when Microsoft have their games releasing at a good rate of knots (3-4 big games a year, with smaller games supplementing the GamePass service). Games cost hundreds of million to make, and to an extent, and we don’t know how much as the data isn’t released, being included in GamePass eats into full-priced sales. Starfield has been in development for a decade or so and will have significant development costs assosiated, and every year COD has 3000 or so developers working on it. Hugely expensive games like that of course release physically and digitally as well, but I’m interested to know how much GamePass eats into that. If Xbox get a lot of subscribers then they’ll be able to offset most/all game development costs. If they can do that then they’ll be fine. That’s why I think getting devices out there that run GamePass is such a priority. It’s where the money will be for them.

However, the more successful GamePass is alongside a successful PlayStation business, the more money it’ll cost to get big third party games on the service or as timed exclusives. At that point the publishers will want to offset PlayStation userbase losses and not making as many $70 sales on Xbox as well.

It’s quite a fiddly calculation.

If I’m Microsoft, I’m putting my games on as many viable platforms as possible until GamePass reaches critical mass and the cost can be significantly increased.

If I’m Sony or someone like Take 2 then I’m going to make my hundreds of million/billions on a game before I put it in a sub service. That way they get their huge payday at the start and then the royalties/sub fees of the subscription subscribers. Much less risk overall. Their issue is whether they are converting PS+ essential users into PS+ extra users. We don’t have those numbers and they’ve been quiet.

If I’m a 3rd party publisher I’m gonna align myself with the platform that best allows me to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom