• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft aims to avoid Xbox Series scalping with Console Purchase Pilot, giving Xbox players a first chance to buy

Microsoft is testing a new program that gives Xbox players a chance to pick up a current generation console without having to battle scalpers.

The Console Purchase Pilot gives budding buyers the chance to reserve and purchase an Xbox Series X or Series S console via the Xbox Insider Hub for Xbox One and Windows 10.

However, while users can sign up for the program via Xbox or PC, one caveat is that successful applicants can only buy one of the new consoles using an Xbox One console. The transaction cannot be made from a PC, web browser, phone, or any other model of Xbox.

The Console Purchase Pilot is currently limited to the US, and not everyone that signs up will be selected to take part in the program.

Both Sony and Microsoft have suffered consistent stock shortages of the Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 consoles, respectively.

Shortages have led to insatiable demand -- and of course -- a major issue with scalping. So much so, that even UK politicians sought to campaign against scalpers earlier this year.

S0ULZB0URNE

S03nkZV.jpg

elliot5

Well that's certainly one way to ensure you don't grow outside of your existing userbase.
It's in the US only, it's for Xbox Insiders which is a small group, and is sold via the Microsoft Store, whereas I would bet a lot of non-existing userbase are the ones shopping elsewhere. I don't think it'll matter much and is a temporary way to try and let the passionate groups get a chance at a new console. Hardly an ensured plan of 0 growth..

Vestal

Gold Member
Great idea. My best friend and bro in law are thirsty af for the XsX. Maybe I’ll join the pilot to see if they can get one. (Yeah I still have my one x in the living room hehe)

GHG

A lot of early adopters ARE the existing user base and those people can’t get a console due to the Sneaker Baron bots.

I get that but what's the point of fighting the supply/demand dynamics within the economy?

Like you joked about in the first post of this thread this might have the undesired effect of increasing demand (and the price) for new and used Xbox One consoles. Where there is a will there is a way and scalpers have proven time and time again that they will go to whatever lengths necessary in order to profit from situations where there is constrained supply.

Sometimes you just have to let these situations play out and as the manufacturer the onus is on you to do what you need to do to increase supply, not demand absolute control of the little supply you do have.

Entroyp

Are XsX consoles hard to find? I bought mine at first try and haven’t paid attention since.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

"one caveat is that successful applicants can only buy one of the new consoles using an Xbox One console."

"Hey Phil I've got a great idea how we can clear out our unsold inventory of XBone consoles"

Since 1S systems are generally selling at scalped prices already, I doubt that played into it. LOL

It really seemed like MS ran dry on X1 systems a good six months early tbh. Which is understandable since MS has the next-gen box at $299 anyway.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Since 1S systems are generally selling at scalped prices already, I doubt that played into it. LOL

It really seemed like MS ran dry on X1 systems a good six months early tbh. Which is understandable since MS has the next-gen box at $299 anyway.
Yea the official MS store has been sold out of One S systems for a while.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
"one caveat is that successful applicants can only buy one of the new consoles using an Xbox One console."

"Hey Phil I've got a great idea how we can clear out our unsold inventory of XBone consoles"
Step 1. Buy an Xbox one on Amazon
Step 2. Buy a new series x through your Xbox one.
Step 3. Return Xbox one to Amazon via Amazon's money back guarantee return policy. And get your money back,

DaGwaphics

Yea the official MS store has been sold out of One S systems for a while.

Totally. I haven't seen any listed at major retailers in a long time either. It's basically just sub-stores on Amazon and Walmart that have them at like $450-$550. LOL

Taking a 1 minute look at Amazon, my personal favorite is this "renewed" X1 VCR for $415. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1WN17G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reminds me that it really is time to get my PS4 and x1 on ebay. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
This is the best they can do, I’m glad they are doing this. Now stores need to force people to come to the store and pick it up in order to avoid scrapers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Well that's certainly one way to ensure you don't grow outside of your existing userbase.
No. First of all it is a small fraction of consoles shipped. Second early adopters tend to be owners of the existing platform. But lob some random non fact based insults at the other platform because fanboyitis.

GHG

No. First of all it is a small fraction of consoles shipped. Second early adopters tend to be owners of the existing platform. But lob some random non fact based insults at the other platform because fanboyitis.

Who says it's a small fraction? Unless you have some inside knowledge that you'd like to share? This is a good PR exercise but as I outlined in my second post in this thread it doesn't actually solve the wider issue. It will be good for those who are eligible who still need a unit but outside of that it won't change much (especially so if its a "small fraction").

Scalpers are a fact of life whenever there is limited supply for anything and the only way to deal with it is to increase the supply so that they are left with their pants down.

By the way I'm genuinely happy to have a discussion about this topic but if all you want to do is cry and be defensive then you probably shouldn't waste both my time and yours.

ideally there would be as much gpus and consoles for everyone to buy but we are not in ideal times sadly, if this helps gamers get their hands on some consoles so be it.

All of the consoles sold eventually end up in gamers hands regardless. There's little evidence to suggest that more than circa 10% of units sold are sold to scalpers.

The biggest issue is the supply shortage and naturally people are pointing the finger because the only place that seems to have a constant supply is via scalpers.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Seems like a reasonable idea. The people most likely to big up Xbox Series SX (tp other people to get them to buy one) are your existing fanbase and if even they can't get one they're screwed.

Bit of a hassle but I think that's the whole point - to make it a hassle.

I would actually sign up if Playstation did the same thing (still have my PS4 in the cupboard)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I get that but what's the point of fighting the supply/demand dynamics within the economy?

Makes some people happy for being "rewarded" for some sort of loyalty.

Gets some good press.

That's about it.. like you said, consoles for the most part are going to gamers anxious to products first, scalpers a distant second. Have you seen how irrational people are about that that? This helps give some PR to ease that irrationality. People will continue to act like the sky is falling that retailers don't implement special systems for what for them, are rare occurrences.. but at least MS has something in place.

Sony does something similar for the same reason with their program that requires a PSN account w/ some experience behind it.

Last edited:

skit_data

Didn’t Sony have a system for preorders based on your PSN-ID, at least in the US when ordering on their own website?

Seems a bit much to have to finalize the purchase via a X1 console, but i still like the idea of putting loyal customers first

Another fantastic idea from the Xbox team. I was lucky enough to get a Series X recently but had been looking since December last year. Hopefully they can do this worldwide.

Kagey K

Banned
10 years to late again ms, xsx dose not have a scalping problem anymore, its fairly easy to buy, at reasonable prices. The ps5 and gpus on the other hand, yeh lets not go there.
Care to show your work?

Reasonable being MSRP or less?

Or are you being hyperbolic?

Last edited:
Top Bottom