• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Does it really constitute analysis when they've a conflict of interest from Microsoft advertising spend - for the deal - with them?

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but the way in which Khan was being attacked over doing her job could ironically be influential with the CMA - assuming they saw it - to tighten things up to support other "enforces" - as Khan repeatedly referred to the FTC in the cnbc interview - to do their job and hold companies with government like power - as the interviewers quizzed - to account.

In the end of the last CMA provisional report there was comment on a 3rd party analysis that supported a console SLC from the deal. Has that also been dropped or just not given any conversation after the initial Sony figures for an SLC were replaced with Microsoft's and the SLC provisionally dropped?
Are you seriously suggesting that the CMA is going to do her a solid and block the deal for her because she's being bullied for just doing her job?

PaintTinJr

But they did redo their calculations.

Hold them to account for what?

The thing is, the CMA didn't use Microsoft's numbers.

SBrgr9j.jpg

This first picture shows that the CMA didn't just use Microsoft's numbers. They used their own judgement and model to come to their conclusions.

v6lUi5r.jpg

And this picture shows that with their own model, under all scenarios, taking CoD from Playstation would result in $X Billion in losses.
I take your point that the most recent provisional numbers aren't strictly Microsoft's, although I thought they only differed by values, rather than being distinctly different methodologies, as say compared to the first numbers.

As for another set of numbers, I'd misread it the first time, and they were - on a second read - talking about Sony's alternative numbers which they weren't going to use in preference.

PaintTinJr

Are you seriously suggesting that the CMA is going to do her a solid and block the deal for her because she's being bullied for just doing her job?
I'm suggesting they will see how rigged the game is with lobbying in the US - when Senators are showing such disregard for actual competition and anti-trust by attacking the FTC - and in turn feel in a 50/50 scenario it safer to regulate mega corps sternly and proactively, than be indifferent and let things pass.

You really do lack introspection. Again, my initial comment was not aimed at you and yet you took it personally. And still are as is apparent by this response. How unsurprising that you still don't see why this is your issue, not mine.
There was nothing to take personally except for the nonsensical take about company love of course ignoring your clear preference for a particular company.

You think Lina Khan is doing a great job? I strongly disagree agree and presented evidence. Clearly you've taken this personally by defending her honor against people who talk her looks and gender over actually refuting the issues people have with her tenure. You haven't presented one actual fact to counter the hollowing out of the FTC of career lawyers and the resignation of two board members. But sure it's MY issue.

Explosion Reaction GIF

laynelane

There was nothing to take personally except for the nonsensical take about company love of course ignoring your clear preference for a particular company.

You think Lina Khan is doing a great job? I strongly disagree agree and presented evidence. Clearly you've taken this personally by defending her honor against people who talk her looks and gender over actually refuting the issues people have with her tenure. You haven't presented one actual fact to counter the hollowing out of the FTC of career lawyers and the resignation of two board members. But sure it's MY issue.

Explosion Reaction GIF

GjMCnRu.gif

You really are hopeless, aren't you? I won't waste my time replying to you again. Bye.

Only Microsoft can make so many acquisitions and still gain no ground on the competition. You would think the xbox brand would spread leprosy, the way its avoided by people. Especially Europe. Even in America they are losing ground.

They are on cusp of acquiring the biggest publisher in the industry, yet they are getting outsold 2 to 1 on their strongest turf. I mean its not like sony have a much cheaper console or have even released that many games, so what is the reason for this? Don't both systems have hogwarts and resident evil 4? Sony are getting massive boosts while Microsoft are down yoy. It's a mindshare problem. Will owning Activision change this in any way? We'll have to see. Shifting mindshare is very difficult though. Maybe cod exclusivity is the only way for Microsoft to even begin turning things around.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Only Microsoft can make so many acquisitions and still gain no ground on the competition. You would think the xbox brand would spread leprosy, the way its avoided by people. Especially Europe. Even in America they are losing ground.

They are on cusp of acquiring the biggest publisher in the industry, yet they are getting outsold 2 to 1 on their strongest turf. I mean its not like sony have a much cheaper console or have even released that many games, so what is the reason for this? Don't both systems have hogwarts and resident evil 4? Sony are getting massive boosts while Microsoft are down yoy. It's a mindshare problem. Will owning Activision change this in any way? We'll have to see. Shifting mindshare is very difficult though. Maybe cod exclusivity is the only way for Microsoft to even begin turning things around.
Why are people acting like 3 year old, when it comes to these topics.

Did no one learn that things take time, and you cant build a house in overnight?

Things take time. They dont get fixed immediately.

Gmaers are really a bunch of impatient kids.

Why are people acting like 3 year old, when it comes to these topics.

Did no one learn that things take time, and you cant build a house in overnight?

Things take time. They dont get fixed immediately.

Gmaers are really a bunch of impatient kids.

Do you have amnesia? How long have Microsoft been in the industry? Why does it take them 30 plus years and billions and billions just to build something when much smaller companies can do it in much less time and with substantially less resources?

Last edited:

ulantan

Yes, which they have better studios, and would be releasing 3 AAA games this year.

We are in april, not december. Wait for the year to end, and see what will happen.
They have said wait till next year for almost 10 years excuse me for not thinking that this time would be different.

They have said wait till next year for almost 10 years excuse me for not thinking that this time would be different.

Remember the wait for e3 meme from like 2016? It's been 7 fucking years since then and we're still hearing the same thing! I didn't even have kids back then ffs! They're in school now! I'll be hearing the same when they're teenagers going to college and I'm having a mid life crisis in my 40s!

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
That is PR. Then there is reality.

Its not like they bought zenimax or in the process of buying activsion blizzard. Or have a service, which they can pay to have day1 games with their enourmous wallet.

All you need to look is the end of the rope, not where the rope is starting.

People are too focused on this Xbox vs PS talk.

Do you have amnesia? How long have Microsoft been in the industry? Why does it take them 30 plus years and billions and billions just to build something when much smaller companies can do it in much less time and with substantially less resources?
How many other consoles manufacturers have been able to enter this space with Sony and Nintendo to tremendous success? You think it's easy to build a console and sell it worldwide?

Sony never really had any significant competition and Nintendo just stopped competing with traditional consoles and focused on portables and hybrids. People seem to completely underestimate the brand recognition of Sony and Nintendo.

It takes a company like MS to even have a chance to last this long against these entrenched companies. X360 was MS' most popular console with many great games and it ended the generation last. You aren't beating Nintendo and Sony with purely consoles. That's why MS changed direction.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How many other consoles manufacturers have been able to enter this space with Sony and Nintendo to tremendous success? You think it's easy to build a console and sell it worldwide?

Sony never really had any significant competition and Nintendo just stopped competing with traditional consoles and focused on portables and hybrids. People seem to completely underestimate the brand recognition of Sony and Nintendo.

It takes a company like MS to even have a chance to last this long against these entrenched companies. X360 was MS' most popular console with many great games and it ended the generation last. You aren't beating Nintendo and Sony with purely consoles. That's why MS changed direction.
Forget the console element, why can’t they make good games with the same regularity as Sony and Nintendo?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Remember the wait for e3 meme from like 2016? It's been 7 fucking years since then and we're still hearing the same thing! I didn't even have kids back then ffs! They're in school now! I'll be hearing the same when they're teenagers going to college and I'm having a mid life crisis in my 40s!
You can buy an Xbox as your mid-life crisis :messenger_loudly_crying:

ulantan

That is PR. Then there is reality.

Its not like they bought zenimax or in the process of buying activsion blizzard. Or have a service, which they can pay to have day1 games with their enourmous wallet.

All you need to look is the end of the rope, not where the rope is starting.

People are too focused on this Xbox vs PS talk.
Yet they are behind in nearly every metric, and the gap widens. I don't want Microsoft to fail but their current direction is driving thier failure, And that causes ripples that fuck with the rest of the industry. When Microsoft finish this deal. Thier competition will become more aggressive because that's how competition works l. The gap will continue to widen. And Sony and everyone else is far less "kind" than Phil and friends. That's the end of the rope.

feynoob

Gold Member
Yet they are behind in nearly every metric, and the gap widens. I don't want Microsoft to fail but their current direction is driving thier failure, And that causes ripples that fuck with the rest of the industry. When Microsoft finish this deal. Thier competition will become more aggressive because that's how competition works l. The gap will continue to widen. And Sony and everyone else is far less "kind" than Phil and friends. That's the end of the rope.
Xbox has no brand awareness. It wont compete with PS, unless they build that awareness.
In order to do that, they need to regain their current market share, and by market share I mean the lost 30m sales from x360 share.

After that, they can talk about competing with PS.

How do they do that? Gain back the lost customers who left the brand to PS, give a reason why people need to buy an xbox, invest more in the platform.

Its not an easy process, as these things take time. They spent 4 years increasing their first party studios.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm suggesting they will see how rigged the game is with lobbying in the US - when Senators are showing such disregard for actual competition and anti-trust by attacking the FTC - and in turn feel in a 50/50 scenario it safer to regulate mega corps sternly and proactively, than be indifferent and let things pass.
I'm sure her peers in the competition regulator discord are giving her plenty of supportive emotes. She'll be fine.

The game in the US works the way it works, just like anywhere else. The FTC's power is intended to be limited based on the separation of powers outlined in the US constitution. The FTC is supposed to ensure that competition is fair inasmuch as it doesn't break the law. It's not supposed to try to block acquisitions based on ideology.

Lina Khan has painted a target on her own back by trying to rig the game herself. She's moved to structure the FTC in a way that makes it difficult and expensive for the people and organizations her commission sues to seek due process under the law, one of the fundamental rights granted by the US Constitution. Her bid to limit the agency's accountability and expand its power has caused Congress and the Supreme Court to take a closer look. Now she's opened the commission up to legal challenges and will have to spend budget defending her ideology, making the commission less effective overall. There's no reason to feel sorry for her. She's not a damsel in distress. She's under attack because of her own actions.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just to remind everyone as well, there was a mere 7 year gap between the PS launching in 1994 and the Xbox in 2001. Hardly an insurmountable gap for Xbox to claw back in the following 22 years.

If you want to talk western markets (EU/US) it was actually 6 years, 1995 to 2001.

Xbox has no brand awareness. It wont compete with PS, unless they build that awareness.
In order to do that, they need to regain their current market share, and by market share I mean the lost 30m sales from x360 share.

After that, they can talk about competing with PS.

How do they do that? Gain back the lost customers who left the brand to PS, give a reason why people need to buy an xbox, invest more in the platform.

Its not an easy process, as these things take time. They spent 4 years increasing their first party studios.
I don't really hate Xbox but the last one I had was the 360 and I've barely thought of it since.

I actually just bought a PS5 because of the recent Verizon sale and I opened up the bundled Astros Playroom thing to check it out and then I unexpectedly spent the next 3 hours drowning in happy nostalgia over the 4 previous generations of PlayStation. PS and Nintendo of those eras were my childhood and my young adulthood. I have so many happy memories of the classic games I played on the PS and Nintendo consoles growing up and in college.

I've never felt that way about Xbox. It's amazing how MS has been in video game consoles 20 years, less than a decade shorter time then Sony has, yet they have zero impression on my memories the way Nintendo and Sony have. MS had something good going with the 360 but they have since squandered that positive momentum with 2 completely wasted generations, no one cares about XBone or XBSX. I don't get what MS is doing but forcefully buying multi-platform publishers and studios and making them Xbox exclusive isn't going to get them goodwill with gamers.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I don't really hate Xbox but the last one I had was the 360 and I've barely thought of it since.

I actually just bought a PS5 because of the recent Verizon sale and I opened up the bundled Astros Playroom thing to check it out and then I unexpectedly spent the next 3 hours drowning in happy nostalgia over the 4 previous generations of PlayStation. PS and Nintendo of those eras were my childhood and my young adulthood. I have so many happy memories of the classic games I played on the PS and Nintendo consoles growing up and in college.

I've never felt that way about Xbox. It's amazing how MS has been in video game consoles 20 years, less than a decade shorter time then Sony has, yet they have zero impression on my memories the way Nintendo and Sony have.
That is what having no proper first party does to you.
MS slacked so hard in providing enough studios which can create alot of 1st party games to their platform.
Had they done that, MS wouldnt have had to experience Xbox one.

Xbox was designed to not to allow PS to become the dominant device in the living room. While that idea was good, it lacked the foundation steps that was needed for future steps.
Xbox one comeout and trashed all their hopes.

C2brixx

Whose fault is it that xCloud is only available via Game Pass? MS don't get the luxury of arguing them as separate products now; they are joined at the hip until MS actually provide xCloud on its own in its largest markets.

So in effect, xCloud owns 70% of the cloud market because of xCloud, because xCloud has been bundled with Game Pass Ultimate the entire time. In regards to discussing its market share, the two might as well essentially be one in the same. After all, xCloud's library of offerings are all the same games provided in Game Pass Ultimate.
I don't believe Microsoft is arguing xCloud is a separate product. The market has decided that cloud gaming isn't viable as a separate product. That's why it's bundle with ultimate.

Also I'm sure MS has provided the CMA more granular data about the actual percentage of Ultimate subscribers who primarily stream their games on mobile devices vs PC/Console users who have the option to actually download the game. That would provide a accurate xCloud market number.

Bungie

I've never felt that way about Xbox. It's amazing how MS has been in video game consoles 20 years, less than a decade shorter time then Sony has, yet they have zero impression on my memories the way Nintendo and Sony have. MS had something good going with the 360 but they have since squandered that positive momentum with 2 completely wasted generations, no one cares about XBone or XBSX. I don't get what MS is doing but forcefully buying multi-platform publishers and studios and making them Xbox exclusive isn't going to get them goodwill with gamers.
I have fond memories of them all but for me, Xbox stuck with me the most because of unforgettable online experiences & the friends I made along the way. With games like Halo to now like co-op survival in Grounded. That's still what Xbox is always on top of. Almost all the exclusives they do release, have some form of co-op / online multiplayer. Can't say that about Sony etc. So if you stuck in the single player lane, that could be why Xbox doesn't pop up in your mind like it does for some of us.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Huh? Who can do it? Microsoft is the most recent entry into the console market that is still in the market. Sony entered the market 7 years before them when Japan was still leading the way. No smaller companies could enter this market. Heck not many can enter gaming at all.

MS has been in the console space for a bit more than 20 years, not 30 years.

As a fellow resident of gb I can tell you now our "game" is a rigged as there's is Microsoft are having a talk at no 10 about gaming on the exact day The CMA decision is supposed to held its definitely going through .

Last edited:
Forget the console element, why can’t they make good games with the same regularity as Sony and Nintendo?
'Good games' are totally subjective. Most of MS's recent game releases have reviewed well. Every developer has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Just to remind everyone as well, there was a mere 7 year gap between the PS launching in 1994 and the Xbox in 2001. Hardly an insurmountable gap for Xbox to claw back in the following 22 years.

If you want to talk western markets (EU/US) it was actually 6 years, 1995 to 2001.
6 or 7 year uncontested presence in a market is hardly insurmountable? Name a gaming company that launched a more successful gaming business than MS while Nintendo and Sony have been in this space. Google? It is so easy to sit safe and comfortable on a forum and talk about how easy it is to get into the games industry.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Because Microsoft is such a niche brand.

what 💥?...we already knew that...right?

Yep, for weeks. Though, to be honest, people should have expected it earlier given how lagging the law is in regard to this particular sector. Also, MS is a very powerful entity, with some of the most aggressive lobbyists in the US...What MS wants, it usually gets. Still, interested in seeing whether the CMA will formulate any behavioural remedies...
This is supposed to happen this week, right?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think after.

Then I don't know if I would compare them 1 : 1. MS is selling the console hardware at a loss so that eats up a big portion of the gaming divisions revenue. Sega reportedly lost hundreds of millions in the final year(s) of the Dreamcast.

what 💥?...we already knew that...right?

Many users were just very recently talking about divestment or blocking of the deal. It was expected for most of us, but not all.

Anyway, the understated boom because it isn't officially approved yet.

Yep, for weeks. Though, to be honest, people should have expected it earlier goven how lagging law is in regard to this particular sector. Also, MS is a very powerful entity, with some of the most aggressive lobbyists in the US...What MS wants, it usually gets. Still, interested in seeing whether the CMA will formulate any behavioural remedies...
This is supposed to happen this week, right?
this week is going to be jam-packed...news, drama and meltdowns

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sega.

They actually made a profit on their games division
Sega was successful for ONE generation, and mostly due to the US (the SFC sold more than the MD LTD on its first day in Japan). Then SOJ stuck their heads so far up their own asses that it killed them. Sega was only in the console business for 18 years. MS is in its 22nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom