• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, IRS is back taxing them for an acquisition that isn't even complete yet.
I don't think you understand, my clever friend.

MS bent over backward more than a triple trillion-dollar company trying to portray itself as the victim in a world of smaller competitors just to save it's falling videogame business.

6UH6djx.jpg

-Overpaying for the company
-2 years of legal battle.
-Giving 10 years contracts to everyone.
-Selling cloud rights to Ubisoft.
-Mega own by leaking their strategy for this gen and the vision for the next.
-Internal e-mails showing Phil's true colors and incompetence.
- They dont even know if GP is going to work.
-Upsi ! 30B tax demand
x81TUFC.gif

 Activision and Blizzard are two companies working in overdrive mode, reports of their dev issues are very well known.
diablo iv is bleeding users.
Overwatch 2 is a mess.
CoD yearly releases in jeopardy.

All this has been a massive pain in the ass....and the actual hard work for them is not even starting.

Phil (President of Gaming) trying to manage all this shit:

ozHcjuL.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

MS bent over backward more than a triple trillion-dollar company trying to portray itself as the victim in a world of smaller competitors just to save it's falling videogame business.

6UH6djx.jpg

-Upsi ! 30B tax demand
x81TUFC.gif

 Activision and Blizzard are two companies working in overdrive mode, reports of their dev issues are very well known.
Overwatch 2 is a mess.

All this has been a massive pain in the ass....and the actual hard work for them is not even starting.

ozHcjuL.gif

Too long

idc laughing GIF

Last edited:

Three

only for the IRS to enter like they did in the Capone case. Are they reading, our essential GAF thread, I wonder?:messenger_grinning:

That must be it exactly .
The IRS reading my post from a couple of weeks ago thought

As Phil has shown he doesn't like paying the fees he himself asks for so they try to circumvent that through this crap much like MS try to circumvent paying taxes.

Fuck ‘em, and if they go to court triple the bill
If they go to court it would be interesting to see how much support or lack thereof they get from the US government.

havoc00

They profit about $60bn-$70bn a year so I very much doubt this would stop them from further acquiring, also they plan on appealing which will take years.

Point is they aren't going to let the IRS put their business plans on hold for years if they want to acquire someone.

MarkMe2525

Only if I was saying this was happening, rather than pondering, hoping someone from the US would give an opinion if the administrations have leveraged tax bills against large US companies.

But I guess it still doesn't rule out, Microsoft considering walking away from the deal if they thought this IRS bill will stick, meaning they are spending $28B more than they considered when they offered on ATVI, and IIRC from about 1000 pages back it was claimed that MSFT had financially gone all in at that buy price, so depending on when the bill would need paid might make the ATVI deal less desirable, but probably not, so not clutching at those straws either - just discussing.
I'll give you my opinion. Tax those mother effers to death. They own the world because we let them. We build their yachts, clean their bathrooms, pave their roads, do their dry cleaning, and educate their kids. It's time corporate America steps up to the plate and repay the country that has given them everything.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Everything under ABK are smaller ones.
They'll be easier to get through, I did forget that Ubisoft would be a problem though given their current arrangement.
yeah once you allow a 70 billion dollar acquisition, how can anyone really argue a few more billion here and there is actually harmful for competition. i know it's not the point in the thread to debate this still, but idk how people don't see this.

graywolf323

I said smaller "studios". I don't think for a second that buying ABK makes buying Take Two or EA easier. The entire gaming landscape has changed.
the problem with this though is the fact the only regulator that seriously thought the console market was a concern with the ABK deal was the FTC & they’re completely powerless

so why wouldn’t Microsoft be allowed to buy Take Two and make a similar cloud deal they did with ABK? the EU didn’t even care enough to force the cloud divestment to the extent the CMA has

Topher

Gold Member
the problem with this though is the fact the only regulator that seriously thought the console market was a concern with the ABK deal was the FTC & they’re completely powerless

so why wouldn’t Microsoft be allowed to buy Take Two and make a similar cloud deal they did with ABK? the EU didn’t even care enough to force the cloud divestment to the extent the CMA has

They very well may still be allowed, but ABK as a part of Microsoft makes that harder. Factually, Microsoft bought more market share of the gaming industry as a whole. You can't tell me that buying up more market share helps a corporation in buying more large chunks of the industry.

Last edited:

graywolf323

They very well may still be allowed, but ABK as a part of Microsoft makes that harder. Factually, Microsoft bought more market share of the gaming industry as a whole. You can't tell me that buying up more market share helps a corporation in buying even more large chunks of the industry.
did they though? aside from having more revenue they can easily keep crying about the exact same things they did during the ABK deal that they’re last in the console race etc. etc.

Topher

Gold Member
did they though? aside from having more revenue they can easily keep crying about the exact same things they did during the ABK deal that they’re last in the console race etc. etc.

They can cry about whatever they want. Explain to me how regulators in the next round of acquisitions are going to look at Microsoft with ABK under wing as a lesser threat to competition in the industry than MS without ABK.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

They very well may still be allowed, but ABK as a part of Microsoft makes that harder. Factually, Microsoft bought more market share of the gaming industry as a whole. You can't tell me that buying up more market share helps a corporation in buying more large chunks of the industry.
Normally, no, but Microsoft can spectacularly fumble the result of this acquisition completing, resulting in just diminishing Sony's earnings, having gained no market share, as seems like the Zenimax and other studio acquisitions' result, and then "please sir, can I buy some more?".

PaintTinJr

"The tax payment being demanded by the IRS is derived from concern the agency has with how Microsoft allocated profits among subsidiaries in different countries and taxing jurisdictions between 2004 and 2013".

The link between this and the acquisition is ???
For years I've wondered how people that know zero about gaming always use the term xbox when searching for a game brand name to use when talking about anything that overlaps with gaming, despite PlayStation and Nintendo being the console and hybrid market leaders best know by gamers, and the obvious answer is that Microsoft spends more on marketing than any company on the planet, and Xbox is forever advertised on MSN or Bing, Outlook, etc, and yet PlayStation and Nintendo could never afford that. So a highly profitable company writing down fake losses by selling ad space to itself at full price as a loss to whatever Xbox's financials are hidden in would seem like a valid way to minimise a tax bill, while also getting full subsidized advertising power no competitor could match.

It probably isn't that, and I'm sure if the IRS went looking for an ad space tax hole payday they'd probably find even more tax obligations, but given Microsoft wouldn't possibly be in a position to buy ATVI for cash at that price with different tax arrangements, it is all still linked, even if not directly.

Godot25

Banned
and the obvious answer is that Microsoft spends more on marketing than any company on the planet
That's just bullshit
and Xbox is forever advertised on MSN or Bing, Outlook, etc, and yet PlayStation and Nintendo could never afford that.
Ehh. I have never seen Xbox ads on Bing or Outlook and I'm using both of them because of Microsoft Rewards.
Isn't there a constant complaint about Xbox and their lack of marketing around console? Especially outside US? Meanwhile PlayStation is plastered around every bus in my country and on every banner during Champions League and I'm getting constant barrages of PlayStation ads on Youtube?

PaintTinJr

That's just bullshit
They've spent around $20b per year on marketing in recent years , having ramped up progressively from $3-5b from 2 decades ago, when I checked this a year or so ago for this question of how they compete with Sony and Nintendo
Ehh. I have never seen Xbox ads on Bing or Outlook and I'm using both of them because of Microsoft Rewards.
Isn't there a constant complaint about Xbox and their lack of marketing around console? Especially outside US? Meanwhile PlayStation is plastered around every bus in my country and on every banner during Champions League and I'm getting constant barrages of PlayStation ads on Youtube?
In a world of targeted internet ads, what value do they gain in ads spend on existing evangelists?

FireFly

They've spent around $20b per year on marketing in recent years , having ramped up progressively from $3-5b from 2 decades ago, when I checked this a year or so ago for this question of how they compete with Sony and Nintendo
That's sales and marketing for the entire company. The actual advertising budget will be a tiny fraction of that, and for Xbox a further fraction still.

PaintTinJr

That's sales and marketing for the entire company. The actual advertising budget will be a tiny fraction of that, and for Xbox a further fraction still.
This is goal post moving. I said Microsoft - not xbox - spend the most on marketing in the world and was told that was BS. How that money is divided up makes no difference to the point I was making.

And the point about - if you randomly sampled MSN/outlook using grandmas - the marketing will have most of them say xbox - without even knowing PlayStation - because I believe Xbox has an unrivalled console marketing spend in real-terms was the whole purpose of the comment in regards of tax.

As I've implied before, how much in marketing spend would PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam or Epic games have to pay Microsoft for them to rename the Xbox Game Bar that's IE4 integrated into their PC gaming monopoly OS with their brand instead? Xbox advertising is co-oped in everything Microsoft do that they can coop it with, just like office, edge, bing, onedrive, etc.

Every Minesweeper, Solitaire, Freecell player is exposed to Xbox Game Studios as the brand, why would they not sell unsellable MSN,etc full priced ad space to themselves for Xbox and get it free via tax deductible losses?

King Dazzar

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to drop 50 games at once, they have enough of a backlog to add a couple of games each month and have a good consistent stream.

Also, not to sound like a broken record again, but I REALLY fucking hope they have someone working on adding more backward compatible games.
If Xbox really wanted to show me some positive hope/inspiration again. Then bring back X1X type enhancements for all the historic COD campaigns as they add them to GP. Auto HDR, 4k res and 60fps. They could do it. The question is will they. I'd be genuinely really impressed. Ideal opportunity. I bet it doesn't happen though.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I said smaller "studios". I don't think for a second that buying ABK makes buying Take Two or EA easier. The entire gaming landscape has changed.
Actually EA is easy. There’s blood in the water there. Outside of EA Sports, the rest of the company has been struggling for a decade and hasn’t produced a major hit. EA is the next to be acquired, probably by Apple within a few years.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Actually EA is easy. There’s blood in the water there. Outside of EA Sports, the rest of the company has been struggling for a decade and hasn’t produced a major hit. EA is the next to be acquired, probably by Apple within a few years.
Why would Apple want EA? Apple are a premium brand through and through, in every department they compete in. EA are known for low quality profitable trash.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

6UH6djx.jpg

-Upsi ! 30B tax demand
x81TUFC.gif

Overwatch 2 is a mess.

ozHcjuL.gif
Damn. Looks like twitter is leaking onto NeoGaf again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom