• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three

Google now has complete monopoly on browser and search engine(they pretty much control the web) as all the competition in browser space minus Firefox uses chrome engine.Hopefully, That antitrust case in 90's was worth it.
Absolutely worth it for Chromium. It's fast, open source and free to use by any browser, unlike that piece of shit Internet Explorer that MS were using their Windows dominance to push. That was closed source and under MS control. People are choosing chrome. developers are choosing Chromium because it set an open source standard for browsers and simplified compatibility. They don't control the web at all, they just lead it.

Topher

Gold Member
As someone who has an ipad and has very recent experience with mac, this is bullshit.

They don't make it difficult for you to use other browsers at all. All it takes is a download and install.

Yes, but they didn't let you change the default browser for the longest time. I think that is the point he is making.

Edit: But you are right. Changing the default now isn't difficult.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
As someone who has an ipad and has very recent experience with mac, this is bullshit.

They don't make it difficult for you to use other browsers at all. All it takes is a download and install.
You download then install? No wonder it didn't work for me, I was trying to install then download. These hoops Apple have me jumping through are shockingly difficult

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

That's all it took to get Netscape back in the day. Also I believe that to make it your default browser on an iPad there are some more steps and at one point you couldn't change your default.

Astray

Gold Member
Yes, but they didn't let you change the default browser for the longest time. I think that is the point he is making.
There are issues with implementing things like ad block etc on iOS, but even that drawback is peanuts compared to what Microsoft put tech consumer through in the 90's. Like you have Android as an alternative if you actually want those things.

In comparison, Microsoft was literally making rival apps bug out on their hyper dominant os to fuck their shit up and get consumers to switch, that's why things like Excel/Word etc is so dominant as well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

More "propaganda" 🤣 how are you still seriously thinking MS is "not allowed" to close this deal without the UK. I thought you were "keen on reading"? Again, I have no issue with ppl saying they WONT close without the UK but ppl saying they CANT are just factually incorrect. I swear it's just the ethnocentrism of some of you Brits on here thinking you guys still run the world or something. It isn't 1759 anymore, chap.
They literally can't.

It's in their contract with ABK. They'll have to draw a new contract and get shareholders to sign off again.

X-Wing

Yeah... but those browsers are webkit versions because Apple doesn't allow for other engines to be used on their platform.
Firefox installed on macOS/iOS? Well... it's not really Firefox (isn't running on Gecko) but a webkit version that Mozilla made to have a presence there.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Google now has complete monopoly on browser and search engine(they pretty much control the web) as all the competition in browser space minus Firefox uses chrome engine.Hopefully, That antitrust case in 90's was worth it.
It goes way deeper than that. The antitrust case also gave Google the advertisement empire it is now, and regulators can not control Google Ads at all.

GHG

That's all it took to get Netscape back in the day. Also I believe that to make it your default browser on an iPad there are some more steps and at one point you couldn't change your default.

Yes you are correct in that at one stage they didn't let you change the default browser but that's no longer the case.

Saying that it's "ironic" safari has the share it has doesn't make what Microsoft is doing any better, particularly when it's encroaching on AI, a tool people are supposed to be able to trust for impartial and factual information.

Yeah... but those browsers are webkit versions because Apple doesn't allow for other engines to be used on their platform.
Firefox installed on macOS/iOS? Well... it's not really Firefox (isn't running on Gecko) but a webkit version that Mozilla made to have a presence there.

Yep, although that's also now changing which is a good thing.

Last edited:

GHG

Where is this fanfiction coming from?

It's actually incredible to witness this pathetic defense.

"Google have a monolopy so who cares what Microsoft are doing with AI search".

I can point to a million reasons why the manipulation of AI tools is far worse than anything else we've seen up until this point. But I'll simply say AI is an area that should have been safeguarded to remain open source forever, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Helghan

In case of iOS it's basically Safari with a different wrapper around it. So I would call it impossible to use a different browser on those devices. On Mac it's easy.

j.k.2021

Banned
It goes way deeper than that. The antitrust case also gave Google the advertisement empire it is now, and regulators can not control Google Ads at all.
Yup.Google has successful build multiple monopolies without any consequences.Nobody else stood a chance with Google browser(safari is still chromium) and search engine being default on billions of smartphone devices.Google pretty much controls the web.

j.k.2021

Banned
The antitrust case had nothing to do with google search engine or chrome popularity. The fact that Internet Explorer was absolute shit had more to do with the emergence of Chrome than anything else.
I am not talking about chrome vs internet Explorer.I am talking about chromium engine which pretty much powers most of browsers giving google the complete control over the web.Most of other options else got killed(Firefox is on it's deathbed).Google used multiple methods like slowing down YouTube on competing platforms etc. to kill off all the competition.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
I lol at idiots who are trying to paint Google as the good guy who effectively hold complete monopiles across browser, Search, Ad business, Storefront on android.Microsoft success meanwhile is because of having multiple successful busniess.They are always second or third in 90% of their business.Behind google in os, Behind Amazon is cloud, Behind PlayStation and Switch, LinkedIn is behind other social media......List goes on.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's actually incredible to witness this pathetic defense.

"Google have a monolopy so who cares what Microsoft are doing with AI search".

I can point to a million reasons why the manipulation of AI tools is far worse than anything else we've seen up until this point. But I'll simply say AI is an area that should have been safeguarded to remain open source forever, no questions asked.
MS monopoly AI means everyone gets AI girlfriend.
That is not a bad deal. Easy thing to cheat with misseus.

Can't complain about that.

Topher

Gold Member
I am not talking about chrome vs internet Explorer.I am talking about chromium engine which pretty much now powers over 96% of browsers giving google the complete control over the web.Everything else got killed(Firefox is on it's deathbed).Google used multiple methods like slowing down YouTube on competing platforms etc. to kill off all the competition.

That antitrust case in 90's was worth it.

The antitrust case in the 90's wasn't "chrome vs Internet Explorer" at all. Chrome wasn't even a thing back then. The antitrust case was about Microsoft integrating Internet Explorer into Windows to use their operating system monopoly against Netscape.

I lol at idiots who are trying to paint Google as the good guy

Who is painting Google as the "good guy" again?

Microsoft success meanwhile is because of having multiple successful busniess.

The Office Lol GIF

Kilau

Microsoft is angel compared to Google whose basic business model depends upon mining user data and spying.
The saying "lesser of two evils" comes to mind. I'll never pick Google over MS or anyone else though. The company that famously had the motto "don't be evil" and then removed it.

j.k.2021

Banned
The saying "lesser of two evils" comes to mind. I'll never pick Google over MS or anyone else though. The company that famously had the motto "don't be evil" and then removed it.

Google is the definition of evil.I bet they have a profile on majority of humans walking on this planet.

Three

That may be the case but Apple isn't out there preventing other browsers from getting contracts by strongarming other companies. Apple don't have a browser majority and they can't even use their iPhone dominance to get one.

Obviously you don't remember what the issues were with MS and Internet Explorer but they don't resemble Safari

Here is a refresher:

MS wanted to 'crush' netscape, that was its intention and it did so by controlling other businesses at all levels of "the internet". Losing money to give it with their OS was the tip of the iceberg.

X-Wing

I am not talking about chrome vs internet Explorer.I am talking about chromium engine which pretty much powers most of browsers giving google the complete control over the web.Most of other options else got killed(Firefox is on it's deathbed).Google used multiple methods like slowing down YouTube on competing platforms etc. to kill off all the competition.

I lol at idiots who are trying to paint Google as the good guy who effectively hold complete monopiles across browser, Search, Ad business, Storefront on android.Microsoft success meanwhile is because of having multiple successful busniess.They are always second or third in 90% of their business.Behind google in os, Behind Amazon is cloud, Behind PlayStation and Switch, LinkedIn is behind other social media......List goes on.

Some clarification, most browsers today are indeed Chromium based and that is shit, because webdevelopers usually only target Chromium based browsers when developing and it results in all sorts of problems for everything else (Firefox and Safari).
But Chromium is opensource, it gets contributions from the open source community, and that is one of the reasons why it became so widely used, not because Google trapped people into it and didn't allow for them to leave anymore.
Google is not good, they are an absolute shit company, especially when it comes to dealing with user data, but they don't hold a monopoly on the browser market...
Also saying Microsoft has only been successful due to having "multiple successful businesses" also just shows how biased your opinion is.

skit_data

Interseting to see people showing up in the thread saying Google is the big bad and MS being an angel comes off to me like their only experience of MS is from the 00s and onwards.
MS was the arguably the first of the really big influential tech giants and have a history that justify market regulators skepticism towards them.
If regulators back then would have had a fortune telling device none of these companies would've been entangled so deeply within crucial parts of areas supposedly being controlled by means of democratically elected officials (defense, economics, etc.).

Saying Google is worse (I really don't have a clue to what extent that's true) doesn't really justify MS influence expanding. Rather the opposite, because they're cut from the same cloth to some extent.

GHG

Interseting to see people showing up in the thread saying Google is the big bad and MS being an angel comes off to me like their only experience of MS is from the 00s and onwards.
MS was the arguably the first of the really big influential tech giants and have a history that justify market regulators skepticism towards them.
If regulators back then would have had a fortune telling device none of these companies would've been entangled so deeply within crucial parts of areas supposedly being controlled by means of democratically elected officials (defense, economics, etc.).

Saying Google is worse (I really don't have a clue to what extent that's true) doesn't really justify MS influence expanding. Rather the opposite, because they're cut from the same cloth to some extent.

In alignment with their CEO, they are trying to frame it as "we need Microsoft to save us from Google".

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So MS should buy ABK as Google are the bad guys.

Pot Kettle Black 🤔

At least it's something different. Pointless diversion but still different to the same talking points that get regurgitated here after being dismantled

Three

Nobody is saying Google is the good guy. They've had antitrust cases too which they have been fined for but surely you see the irony of the bolded.

Topher

Gold Member
Some clarification, most browsers today are indeed Chromium based and that is shit, because webdevelopers usually only target Chromium based browsers when developing and it results in all sorts of problems for everything else (Firefox and Safari).
But Chromium is opensource, it gets contributions from the open source community, and that is one of the reasons why it became so widely used, not because Google trapped people into it and didn't allow for them to leave anymore.
Google is not good, they are an absolute shit company, especially when it comes to dealing with user data, but they don't hold a monopoly on the browser market...
Also saying Microsoft has only been successful due to having "multiple successful businesses" also just shows how biased your opinion is.

Browser engines for websites have, for the most part, become irrelevant. Most browsers are compliant to W3C standards much more today than they have been in the past. I remember years ago have to put conditional code in javascript for specific browsers, but not really something that has to be done very much these days except in very specific cases. Now it is centered around layouts utilizing responsive design and screen size.

j.k.2021

Banned
So MS should buy ABK as Google are the bad guys.

Pot Kettle Black 🤔

At least it's something different. Pointless diversion but still different to the same talking points that get regurgitated here after being dismantled
Google will never buy Activision.All they do know is to make money via ad busniess.They can never make a successful gaming device.Google is a overrated hack whose biggest success like YouTube and Android were purchased by them.

X-Wing

Google will never buy Activision. All they do know is to make money via ad busniess. They can never make a successful gaming device. Google is a overrated hack whose biggest success like YouTube and Android were purchased by them.
You do realize that Bill Gates didn't create DOS, right? He bought it cheap from a student and sold it for a lot to IBM.

Man called MS an Angel.
The freaking MS whose windows is rulling the entire world.
Every freaking person in the world is using a windows device for work or enjoyment.

Robin Thicke No GIF by FOX TV

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Man called MS an Angel.
The freaking MS whose windows is rulling the entire world.
Every freaking person in the world is using a windows device for work or enjoyment.
Compared to* is the keyword.

Like i posted above, More people now own android devices and spend most of their day on them compared to a windows device.Numbers don't lie.Google now has a detailed profile on most of the world because of their spying an date mining.

85727959ffbc3863d57ce261164bf8c19f415c157151347751785fe43190832c.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom