• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

Banned
Why is brad smith still meeting with the CMA to make a deal? Why didn't they adress the concerns before the final decision?

Smith will also meet officials from the UK Competition and Markets Authority to pitch the benefits of the deal and find "creative and constructive ways" to address competition concerns, according to a company representative.

Meanwhile, he plans to work with the tech group's legal representatives to find a solution to counter the CMA decision, including options to bypass the order or withdraw Activision from the UK market, one of the sources confirmed.

That is how we do business in America.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Dark Lord talking about wanting to work with UK regulators to find a solution. Wasn’t that the purpose of the entire process and the CMA offering acceptable concessions etc?

Maybe M$ should have spent the year thinking a public shit talking strategy would be successful.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Was this meeting with hunt for ABK or AI?

Microsoft has since appealed and its president, Brad Smith, met British finance minister Jeremy Hunt for talks in London on Tuesday, a government source said, without giving details.

If regulators have concerns, we want to address them. If there are problems, we want to solve them

Also in London, Smith told the techUK Tech Policy Leadership conference he was hopeful the outcome could change, adding: “I’m in search of solutions.

“If regulators have concerns, we want to address them. If there are problems, we want to solve them. If the UK wants to impose regulatory requirements that go beyond those in the EU, we want to find ways to fulfil them.”

Smith was also scheduled to meet officials from the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) during his visit to London this week, according to reports. He said he had always been “bullish on the UK as a great place to live, to learn, to build”.

Smith criticised Britain after the CMA veto, saying it would shake confidence in the UK as a destination for tech.

Smith focused his remarks on Tuesday on how AI should be governed, saying it should not be the sole responsibility of tech companies. “It needs to be subject to the rule of law,” he said, adding: “And we will need regulations to govern it.”

SixPin

Neo Member
Why is brad smith still meeting with the CMA to make a deal? Why didn't they adress the concerns before the final decision?

Smith will also meet officials from the UK Competition and Markets Authority to pitch the benefits of the deal and find "creative and constructive ways" to address competition concerns, according to a company representative.

Meanwhile, he plans to work with the tech group's legal representatives to find a solution to counter the CMA decision, including options to bypass the order or withdraw Activision from the UK market, one of the sources confirmed.

PR.

Even if MS believes that there is a zero chance of getting the deal approved, they will wait until July because every approval, every article is an opportunity to spin up the narrative that the CMA are the bad guys.

Brad Smith is a master at this, I remember all those articles and op-eds when the FTC was going to sue. Or when they say that like 40 countries have approved the deal, when 27 of them are because of the EC, when the members states have not much of a say in competition policy.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
What happens if the deal falls through? Is this going to be a MCU style BLIP? Just numerous amounts of posters here and ree and Twitter etc just *poof* disappear?

Or will it be a new spin on it, like general amnesia? People will suddenly wake a couple of days after having completely erased it and their own comments on the subject from memory?

I think it’s easier to predict what happens if the deal goes through.

Topher

Gold Member
Someone explain to me how ABK leaving the UK is a possible solution to anything. How does that negate CMA's order prohibiting Microsoft from acquiring ABK? Why was Meta forced to divest Giphy when Giphy has zero presence in the UK? This whole theory sounds very Florian to me.

Ronin_7

Banned

As stated before CMA is independent, politicians intervening with Judicial would be a catastrophe.

Microsoft is going to court and that's it.

Activision already left the building, they're collecting the 3B fee & move on. That's why Microsoft is trying everything.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The Dark Lord talking about wanting to work with UK regulators to find a solution. Wasn’t that the purpose of the entire process and the CMA offering acceptable concessions etc?

Maybe M$ should have spent the year thinking a public shit talking strategy would be successful.
yep, they should have negotiated when the CMA expressed their concerns but instead they kept pushing the same crap that the CMA said wasn’t sufficient and then acted completely shocked when the CMA blocked it

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s just MS planting narratives. You know “sources”.
Copium Ultra Strength - Orange flavored.

On the surface, that's how it looks, isn't it? Hope over reality. I'm still open to a fact-based explanation.

High School GIF

SixPin

Neo Member
What happens if the deal falls through? Is this going to be a MCU style BLIP? Just numerous amounts of posters here and ree and Twitter etc just *poof* disappear?

Or will it be a new spin on it, like general amnesia? People will suddenly wake a couple of days after having completely erased it and their own comments on the subject from memory?

I have the feeling that people will move on pretty quickly. I think the Xbox showcase is going to be great and that's gonna give fans trust that even without ABK Xbox is well positioned.

dotnotbot

This all reeks of brad trying to keep ABK from walking away, rather then actually convincing the CMA of changing there minds or hunt to put on any pressure. Right now the appeal is probably the least of their worries.

Funny how no one at resetera thread even brought that as a possibility, probably the best explanation on what's happening.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
On the surface, that's how it looks, isn't it?

No it’s exactly what is happening. When they cite “sources” they are talking about people with close knowledge right? The only people with close knowledge would be who? MS. Would these “sources” make statements of fact through rumors or would they state it publicly if they were actually statements of facts?

Here’s how these reporters work with rumors. They ask a source for comment on possible scenarios, and if the source doesn’t deny or leaves “all scenarios are possible” on the table then the reporter goes with the story that will get more traction. There’s another possibility, that MS themselves spread the rumor through their friends in the media, which creates the cycle above.

It’s all just pressure. Just like that ad campaign they plastered all over the tube.

Nasty company.

Topher

Gold Member
No it’s exactly what is happening. When they cite “sources” they are talking about people with close knowledge right? The only people with close knowledge would be who? MS. Would these “sources” make statements of fact through rumors or would they state it publicly if they were actually statements of facts?

Here’s how these reporters work with rumors. They ask a source for comment on possible scenarios, and if the source doesn’t deny or leaves “all scenarios are possible” on the table then the reporter goes with the story that will get more traction. There’s another possibility, that MS themselves spread the rumor through their friends in the media, which creates the cycle above.

It’s all just pressure. Just like that ad campaign they plastered all over the tube.

Nasty company.

I'm not as certain as you, but I can't say it doesn't make sense considering the rhetoric Brad Smith and Microsoft have employed in public statements. Would not be surprised if Microsoft is feeding MLex with the knowledge that Idas on era will spread disinformation, unwittingly or otherwise. Now it seems Brad Smith is talking to the UK chancellor......for what? Is Microsoft trying to manipulate UK officials as easy as they did members of Congress in the US? As you say......"nasty", if true.

POKEYCLYDE

I only came here for this thread, though I've been slowly venturing out into other discussions.

I'm sure many will be back for the inevitable next acquisition thread. ;)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Currently MS and ATK are both operating and making money in the UK, but somehow, if they aren't allowed to merge and are forced to remain separate like they have always been, it will magically cause the utter and complete destruction of the UK.
It must be some sort of magic curse, but, so far, none of the shills have managed to explain this curse.
cOnSoLiDaTe oR dIe
derp GIF

I haven't been following this for a while because it was getting tedious, but do you guys still think this isn't going through? Knowing CMA is already being questioned and Microsoft is investigating to not operate ABK in the UK.
:messenger_robot:

"We didn't want that normie game, CoD, anyway."

Eventually that will be the revisionist truthfacts.

Last edited:

skit_data

I wonder how much effect Diablo will have on their decision:

This sure wouldn't have been the case if Diablo 4 were an exclusive and launching day one on Game Pass.

Thought about this too yesterday. I have a hard time seeing it works in the deals favor, rather the opposite if anything.

Helghan

It's way more likely to be blocked now than ever before. But since Microsoft has filed an appeal, it's still not 100% finalized yet. Things will get clearer significantly after July 18.

This is a Twitter narrative, really far away from reality and truth as of now.
CMA wasn’t questioned about their decision by people from parlement?

Topher

Gold Member
CMA wasn’t questioned about their decision by people from parlement?

Yes, the CMA was questioned by Bim Afolami after EC approved the acquisition and asked why CMA did not. I thought you were referring to the rumored meeting between Hunt and the CMA. But in the meeting you are talking about, the CMA was questioned about a number of things, not just the ABK acquisition so it wasn't as if this was a special hearing. I imagine in the UK it is pretty standard for independent agencies to answer questions from Parliament just as it is in the US. I don't see any reason why this would have any impact on the CMA's decision.

C2brixx

My gut tells me ABK will be extending this until later into the fall.
I'm sure this has already been negotiated. The idea that Activison shareholders would rather Activision as a company deposit a one time $3 billion payment vs each shareholder receiving $95/share in a $70 billion dollar buyout is absurd. Every investor hopes the companies they invest in get bought out at a premium and they can use those funds to make other investments.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has already been negotiated. The idea that Activison shareholders would rather Activision as a company deposit a one time $3 billion payment vs each shareholder receiving $95/share in a $70 billion dollar buyout is absurd. Every investor hopes the companies they invest in get bought out at a premium and they can use those funds to make other investments.
Activision at the moment is outpacing all the publishers of its kind.
Deal getting squashed ... Guess what? Another win..
Settling for $95 would be unwise

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I'm not confident in my gut feeling, frankly. That renegotiation very well may mean a new break up fee. No guarantee that MS and ABK see eye to eye on that. We will just have to wait and see.

It works all the time. EU regulators are american dogs.
Please explain what you mean by that? EU regulators are American dogs..o wait you mean that EU regulators are like dogs and follow up every command what the US Governement is telling them do do?? Naaah it doesn't work that way........when you think that, there is a word for that...thats delusional

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes, the CMA was questioned by Bim Afolami after EC approved the acquisition and asked why CMA did not. I thought you were referring to the rumored meeting between Hunt and the CMA. But in the meeting you are talking about, the CMA was questioned about a number of things, not just the ABK acquisition so it wasn't as if this was a special hearing. I imagine in the UK it is pretty standard for independent agencies to answer questions from Parliament just as it is in the US. I don't see any reason why this would have any impact on the CMA's decision.
Bim Afolami who disclosed he’s being paid £2k a month by a US lobbying firm? That Bim Afolami? The one taking legalised bribes? Ok, just making sure.

PaintTinJr

CMA wasn’t questioned about their decision by people from parliament?
The group panel within the CMA that actually analysed the merger and rendered a decision have not been questioned by anyone external to the CMA.

If you are referring to the steer meeting, that was the head of the CMA and her college that answered the select committee questions in a generalised way. They didn't work on the merger assessment AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom