• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varteras

Gold Member
Put down the crack pipe, son.
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

DJ12

He also cropped section d for some reason....

(d)          No Prohibitive Laws or Injunctions. No temporary restraining order, preliminary or permanent injunction or other judgment or order issued by any court of competent jurisdiction or other legal or regulatory restraint or prohibition preventing the consummation of the Merger will be in effect, nor will any action have been taken by any Governmental Authority of competent jurisdiction, and no statute, rule, regulation or order will have been enacted, entered, enforced or deemed applicable to the Merger, that in each case (i) prohibits, makes illegal, or enjoins (or seeks to prohibit, make illegal or enjoin) the consummation of the Merger or (ii) imposes or seeks to impose a Burdensome Condition.
No idea why though lol

But sure I'm no lawyer maybe ms can just ignore all 4 sections of 7.1 of their written contract. Heck why not just ignore it all and not give Activision their termination fee either.

Section 8 also discusses the termination there's several sub sections about approval. But yeah just there for funsies, they can be ignored on a whim to suit...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Depends if the other regulators view the CMA as rational or not. MS is already planning to bypass the FTC and that's not hurting their reputation.

He literally underlines the portion of the contract that shows exactly what he says. Florian has been right more than most analysts.

Nah, he is wrong as usual. Microsoft cannot waive the rulings of regulatory bodies. That's the reason "where permitted by applicable law" is in there.

Good luck waiving off all this...

UCReTgT.png

That nitwit isn't even showing a capture of the actual merger agreement. The verbiage is similar, but definitely not the same document at all. His doesn't reference Microsoft or Activision Blizzard at all.

lP1E0i1.png

He is an idiot.

BeardGawd

Banned
Nah, he is wrong as usual. Microsoft cannot waive the rulings of regulatory bodies. That's the reason "where permitted by applicable law" is in there.

Good luck waiving off all this...

UCReTgT.png

That nitwit isn't even showing a capture of the actual merger agreement. The verbiage is similar, but definitely not the same document at all. His doesn't reference Microsoft or Activision Blizzard at all.

lP1E0i1.png

He is an idiot.
Wait a second. A lot in this thread claim that the CMA was required because of the merger agreement and MS would need a whole new contract, with shareholder approval, to go this route. Florian just showed that there is an 'out' in the contract for just such situations. No new agreement or shareholder approval needed. Florian says "applicable law" refers to Delaware where the agreement was signed. Now are there other business considerations such as possible fines and political capital? Of course but that has nothing to do with them being able to waive that piece of the agreement. It was only put in to benefit MS anyway.

Topher

Gold Member
Wait a second. A lot in this thread claim that the CMA was required because of the merger agreement and MS would need a whole new contract, with shareholder approval, to go this route. Florian just showed that there is an 'out' in the contract for just such situations. No new agreement or shareholder approval needed. Florian says "applicable law" refers to Delaware where the agreement was signed.

That should be your first clue that he is making this shit up. The state of Delaware doesn't dictate applicable law in the UK or anywhere else. Applicable law means where the law will be applied. If the law is being applied at the state level, then yes, Delaware. In this case, the law is being applied in many jurisdictions and they are all applicable.

What would even be the point of having a section in this agreement called "Conditions to the Closing of the Merger" if the parties involved can just say "fuck it, waiving all these conditions"? The entire notion here is absurd.

And again.......we are talking about a guy citing the wrong document.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That should be your first clue that he is making this shit up. The state of Delaware doesn't dictate applicable law in the UK or anywhere else. Applicable law means where the law will be applied. If the law is being applied at the state level, then yes, Delaware. In this case, the law is being applied in many jurisdictions and they are all applicable.

What would even be the point of having a section in this agreement called "Conditions to the Closing of the Merger" if the parties involved can just say "fuck it, waiving all these conditions"? The entire notion here is absurd.

And again.......we are talking about a guy citing the wrong document.
If true then I would guess they can be waived because they are there to protect the buyer. Why would activision shareholders care if the merger was blocked in a region as long as they get their money?

Topher

Gold Member
If true then I would guess they can be waived because they are there to protect the buyer. Why would activision shareholders care if the merger was blocked in a region as long as they get their money?

It is referring to any legal requirements that can be waived in whatever jurisdictions. Activision shareholders care because Microsoft is not going to complete the transaction and give them any money if they cannot get the deal approved by regulators. That is why the "Conditions to the Closing of the Merger" exists.

Last edited:

Wulfer

It's been a while since someone posted a revenge jerk off fantasy.
Not revenge really, it's just business. Sony has shown us that with the square deals in the other thread. Think what would be your next purchase? The next hottest 3rd party that could hurt Sony the most Capcom, It's not revenge just business. Also, remember when some of you said Bethesda could never be bought? I thought so.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Not revenge really, it's just business. Sony has shown us that with the square deals in the other thread. Think what would be your next purchase? The next hottest 3rd party that could hurt Sony the most Capcom, It's not revenge just business.
Lol, it would be EA, by a big ass margin. Capcom is minuscule.

Not that I think they can get away with acquiring EA, it'd be harder than ABK.

Topher

Gold Member
Not revenge really, it's just business. Sony has shown us that with the square deals in the other thread. Think what would be your next purchase? The next hottest 3rd party that could hurt Sony the most Capcom, It's not revenge just business.

Eh….this sounds a lot like a revenge fantasy my man….

If they fail with this merger, their will be even more people upset. MS will make you wish they got the ok for ABK! I'd say you can kiss Capcom goodbye.

Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Wulfer

You know the Japanese government doesn’t allow it right?
Gee they say the same about Sega but, no thinks Sega will continue on its own. Sony's buying Sega. MS is buying Sega. Heck even Nintendo was buying Sega at one point. Get outta here with the "they can't buy because its a Japanese company". MS has already announced they intend to increase their Japanese presence so, how do think they end up doing that?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gee they say the same about Sega but, no thinks Sega will continue on its own. Sony's buying Sega. MS is buying Sega. Heck even Nintendo was buying Sega at one point. Get outta here with the "they can't buy because its a Japanese company". MS has already announced they intend to increase their Japanese presence so, how do think they end up doing that?
MS says a lot of unrealistic things that don’t ever come to fruition.

Eg.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Must be Wednesday.

Kilau

Not revenge really, it's just business. Sony has shown us that with the square deals in the other thread. Think what would be your next purchase? The next hottest 3rd party that could hurt Sony the most Capcom, It's not revenge just business. Also, remember when some of you said Bethesda could never be bought? I thought so.
Hurt Sony? I’ve been told over and over these are about giving gamers more options and having “muh CoD”on game pass.

Edmund

How old are you Wulfer? You joined the forum in 2004. That must put you around late 30s/early 40s by estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom