• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica finally releasing S&M2 on August 28th

bender

What time is it?
Wasn't sure anything could pull me back in after St. Anger, but S&M...

giphy.gif

A few tracks are up on Apple Music.

Nothing Else Matters sounds ok. Moth actually sounds really good. All Within My Hands is solid.

There is a “Blackened 2020” on Apple Music. It is horrific.

Thaedolus

A few tracks are up on Apple Music.

Nothing Else Matters sounds ok. Moth actually sounds really good. All Within My Hands is solid.

There is a “Blackened 2020” on Apple Music. It is horrific.

WTF is this? Moth sounds great, but Blackened just sounds terrible and gets rid of the most evil sounding riff ever and Newsted’s only contribution to Justice? Woof

Hardwired was awesome.

Eh, definitely wouldn't call Hardwired awesome. It's like Death Magnetic, the very definition of mediocre. It only sounds better than that because the other works Metallica has done this century are St. Anger and Lulu.

They're still great live though! Saw them a few years ago and it was a great show. So maybe S&M 2 will turn out fine.

BTW, this is going on a tangent here so bear with me, but there's a very real difficulty to mix an orchestra and a rock band in any way that sounds good. S&M is okay for what it is, but it's neither great as rock music and LMAOtastic as classical music. The best attempt I ever heard came from Frank Zappa alumnus Mike Keneally in an album called The Universe Will Provide:

The full album gets that bad fit better than even Zappa ever did. Highly recommended!

Metallica should knock on the heavy thrash on the head and do an opeth style genre change.

James has a great deep, clean voice. It would be nice for them to do an album of instrumentals and ballads.

Think, Fade to Black, Nothing else Matters, Orion, Call Of cthulu, To Live is to die, Hero of the day, Sanitarium etc.

Kev Kev

Can they still play the original solos? Or has age caught up to them?
theyre not that old lol. yes i imagine their chops are the same if not better after all these years

I saw them two years ago live in Orlando. They sounded great despite their age. One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.
i was going to see them in may for rockville daytona but covid ruined it. it was my one and only chance and i may never get it again :messenger_pensive:

EDIT: dude this first track is like ultimate hype mode engage... holy fuck

Last edited:

theyre not that old lol. yes i imagine their chops are the same if not better after all these years

i was going to see them in may for rockville daytona but covid ruined it. it was my one and only chance and i may never get it again :messenger_pensive:

EDIT: dude this first track is like ultimate hype mode engage... holy fuck

The day that never comes on SM2 is fire. That intro was chill inducing.

I think Metallica has one more big tour in them once this all settles down. I will be there even if I have to drive a state or two. I was amazed by the show they put on.

This was from the show I was at. Granted I was no where near the floor but even where I was you could see everything perfectly.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Do you have any examples? Would like to compare.

I just listened to the Hammett solo from One about 30 times. that they did in 2016. It appears to be the same as the studio version, but slightly sloppier on the fastest sections. He is either missing some of the hammer ons or they are blending together at least in my hearing. The studio track the notes are more distinct. Might just the difference between studio and live.

I withdraw my original comment, I spoke authoritatively off of something I read somewhere, probably in youtube comments, lol. I can find no evidence they have changed the songs.

Edit. I listened to some older live stuff. Hammett is still a great guitarist but I think there is some decline. I mean these are solos so far above most guitarist who is to complain.

Last edited:

I just listened to the Hammett solo from One about 30 times. that they did in 2016. It appears to be the same as the studio version, but slightly sloppier on the fastest sections. He is either missing some of the hammer ons or they are blending together at least in my hearing. The studio track the notes are more distinct. Might just the difference between studio and live.

I withdraw my original comment, I spoke authoritatively off of something I read somewhere, probably in youtube comments, lol. I can find no evidence they have changed the songs.

Edit. I listened to some older live stuff. Hammett is still a great guitarist but I think there is some decline. I mean these are solos so far above most guitarist who is to complain.

Im sure they aren’t exactly their 80s selves. I think the main difference besides the age, as you mentioned is live vs studio. I can’t imagine how much those shows take out of someone vs hanging out in a studio working on one song over and over.

Jon Neu

Banned

Their chops are definitely worse. Playing guitar is like going to the gym, you need dedication and consistency, the moment you start to slag off, you're perfomance drops.

The same can be said about drums.

They were at their best technically through 1986 till early 90's.

The St. Anger era was really simple stuff. James coming out of rehab and the band being almost broken showed.

Still, as hated as St.Anger is, I think it has some good ideas, but they messed up the structure of the songs. It's just a very unpolished album, they were too lazy and self-satisfied.

bender

What time is it?

Honestly, that sounds terrible.

Kev Kev

Their chops are definitely worse. Playing guitar is like going to the gym, you need dedication and consistency, the moment you start to slag off, you're perfomance drops.

The same can be said about drums.

They were at their best technically through 1986 till early 90's.

The St. Anger era was really simple stuff. James coming out of rehab and the band being almost broken showed.

Still, as hated as St.Anger is, I think it has some good ideas, but they messed up the structure of the songs. It's just a very unpolished album, they were too lazy and self-satisfied.

eh, i disagree.

as a life long musician and guitar player, i know you can start to lose it after not playing for a while. but you dont tour, record albums, have rehearsals, write new material and all of that for nearly 40 years without growing as a musician. we may not hear it on their albums and in their writing, but you dont get worse as a musician after that long.

and lars always sucked at drums so lets leave him out of this lol

Jon Neu

Banned
eh, i disagree.

as a life long musician and guitar player, i know you can start to lose it after not playing for a while. but you dont tour, record albums, have rehearsals, write new material and all of that for nearly 40 years without growing as a musician. we may not hear it on their albums and in their writing, but you dont get worse as a musician after that long.

and lars always sucked at drums so lets leave him out of this lol

Lars was awesome during the mid-last part of the 80's.

bender

What time is it?
Lars was awesome during the mid-last part of the 80's.

giphy.gif

I think the only awesome musician Metallica has had was Cliff Burton. I'd listen to arguments about Dave. I'm not trying to be insulting as I'm a huge fan of their earlier work. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts or whatnot. Lars is usually the weakest link in the chain though.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
James will always be the best musician in Metallica.

Currently? Sure. Kirk slipping helps but that's by design. Look at who they hired to replace Cliff. That's not a knock as I fucking love Jason, but they didn't and still don't want anyone to challenge them musically. It's also pretty shitty that James changed to song writing philosophy after Jason was forced out considering all he wanted was to be more creative. But their product has suffered ever since.. Their by committee efforts have been decent at best.

Jon Neu

Banned
Currently?

All time.

Cliff had charisma and played the bass like a guitar. But he couldn't sing for his life and his songwritting skills, while good -he was great with harmonies-, are really overrated.

James is one of the best songwriters in Heavy Metal history, an amazing rhythm guitar player and a pretty decent singer.

Cliff is up there with Mustaine for the second position, they both gave part of their DNA to Metallica. But at the end of the day, Metallica will always be James Hetfield.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
All time.

Cliff had charisma and played the bass like a guitar. But he couldn't sing for his life and his songwritting skills, while good -he was great with harmonies-, are really overrated.

James is one of the best songwriters in Heavy Metal history, an amazing rhythm guitar player and a pretty decent singer.

Cliff is up there with Mustaine for the second position, they both gave part of their DNA to Metallica. But at the end of the day, Metallica will always be James Hetfield.

source.gif

Ryllix_

This is embarrassingly bad from kirk. As a musician my thought when I hear their sloppy live performances is that they just don't care about the old songs and probably rarely ever play them outside of live shows. He clearly knows the solos still, he is just playing them sloppily.

alstrike

Great show although it sounded better at the theater. That Anesthesia cover by Scott Pingel was legendary...

I still remember my first Metallica gig (Madrid 96 with Soundgarden and Corrosion of Conformity), although the best one was in Donington 2004 when Lars was sick and they had:

- Dave Lombardo
- Joey Jordison
- Flemming Larsen

All playing drums, man that was great.

Top Bottom