• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Appreciation thread.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Mslug-title.jpg

Mslug1.jpg

Mslug2.jpg

mslug3.jpg

MslugX.jpg

I remember playing the first one on a ski trip years ago and being amazed at how awesome it was. Everything from the animation of individual characters to the great boss battles. Its also a great co-op game to play with somebody. Still remains the greatest Contra clone in my eyes :p. Also, how did the later iterations (4 & 5) turn out? I've never seen them in arcades and was afraid of playing them. Weren't they farmed out to a new developer?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
metal slug 1, X, and 3 were the culmination of gaming history. i love them deeply. my mvs carts have gotten a hell of a lot of mileage.

Question:

I'm buying MS3 for Xbox but did it really deserve the score it got on IGN? Also I'm planning to get MS4&5, since I really enjoyed playing 5 at the arcade. And just one more question, how are the NGPC versions? Since I Never played the first two I thought this would be a good way? Or should I get Metal Slug Advance?

evilromero said:
Question:

I'm buying MS3 for Xbox but did it really deserve the score it got on IGN? Also I'm planning to get MS4&5, since I really enjoyed playing 5 at the arcade. And just one more question, how are the NGPC versions? Since I Never played the first two I thought this would be a good way? Or should I get Metal Slug Advance?

I'l start by asserting that I adore Metal Slug 3 and X

As a salable package, the XBOX version derserved the somewhat low scores it got because virtually nothing was done to the game at all. The graphics should have been run through a blitter to look as good as the game does via Kawaks, or provide the option to do so. And the level-restart continue system makes the game pretty much unbeatable by all but a few. Plus, the XBOX Live scoring system is wonky in the in kinda shows who is really the best and it also kinda shits on those who are merely really good.

On the pros side, this is the only version I'm aware of with no slowdown at all. You also get two new bonus games, but you have to complete the game to get at them.

Metal Slug 3 is a fabulous game, my absolute favorite shooter, but this just not a good way to present it.

MS4 is not good. MS5 is okay, here's hoping they don't screw up its port the same way as MS3.

MS Advance is questionable, it remains to be seen if the GBA can handle the number of sprites onscreen to recreate Metal Slug properly. The current outlook is that it does not.

Metal Slug 3 would have been perfect for the Xbox if they'd included a Training School with rewards, continue system that doesn't make you re-start the level, and a few downloadable content.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
There needs to be a Metal Slug Collection for PSP. NOW!!

Come to think of it, I'd like to see KOF, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown, and Rage of the Dragons/Matrimelee compilations for PSP or PS2 as well.

Top Bottom