• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection |OT| Les Ports Terribles

Drizzlehell

Banned
MGS 1
MGS 2
Okay Snake Eater is missing, but

buy the games on ebay and emulate.

But well, to each his own
It's not ideal, though. MGS2 is no longer available on GoG (btw. I'd remove that link because technically that's piracy lol), MGS1 that's on GoG is the crappy PC version, and yeah, MGS3 never came out to PC. Most people don't really wanna bother with emulation or tracking down old physical releases and trying to get them to run on modern systems, which isn't easy either. MGS2 especially had an awful PC port.

This package simply provides the most convenient way to play those games for PC gamers, plus I'm expecting that any kinks that this version will have out of the box will probably be fixed with mods.

Also, now that I think about it, many people probably don't have an old PS3/360 and especially Vita lying around, or pulling them out of the closet would be a pain in the ass just to play one game. Personally I'd prefer to just get it digitally on PC and not play this on PS3.

Last edited:

LukeAJN

78 metacritic, reviews are generally good, the lack of significant technical advancements hasn't been considered a deal breaker.
OK guess I wont feel bad picking this up now at least.

Deerock71

I want it on disc so bad

homer simpson episode 13 GIF
I'll get it on physical for Switch, if it's not terrible.

Gojiira

Boggles my mind that they used the 🤢360 version to port from..No pressure sensitive buttons from the Playstation version or any of the PS Exclusive side content…Ffs it just blows my mind porting a shit port of a classic Playstation franchise to the PS5…Worse image quality in MGS1 though is just criminal.

solidus12

How will players change controller ports during the psycho mantis fight? On PS3 you were able to assign controller 1 to controller 2 and it would work.

Any idea?

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I think it is safe to say that after the flop that was MGS 5 (for me anyway, or "Metal Gear Barren" as I refer to it as ) I don't think we'll get a new Metal Gear game ever again that had the level of immersion of MGS 1- 4...even if it came at the expense of "open-world"....

That OT Title.

aroused ryan GIF

Welllllppp...I'm not gonna pick this up. I've bought these games so many times already on their individual platforms and subsequent rereleases.

I will say I hope that some new players pick it up and go into the series with an open mind and maybe try and think of the context and time the games were released.

MGS1 was such a monumental moment in gaming for me, it's up there with SM64 on showing me videogames in a completely different light and changing my perspective on things in general.

MGS2 was such a slap in the heart to my 15 y/o self once the switch happens after the intro tanker level and I was sooooo butt hurt about a lot of the game, but it was undeniably a cool piece of tech and looked absolutely stunning, best looking game ever released at that point. On replays since, I've come to love the story and appreciate it way more with time removed from it, but damn was I sour on it for a while. Kojima was Nostradamus on the writing in this game. It mostly went over my head on the first playthrough, but nowadays, it's impressive how far ahead of it's time it was.

MGS3 is probably the MGS formula at it's most MGS-ness and firing on all cylinders. It's great. Loved it. Still think of the original trilogy it's the best MGS "game" even if it's not my favorite MGS of the three.

Overall, I hope to hear some impressions from ya'll. It'll be interesting to see people that have maybe never played the series before play it now and what they think. So many games these days have improved and bettered what MGS started, but MGS definitely was a the fore front of it.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Become a games developer and try this.
This is one I coded myself. For both ARM and x86.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What is Konami doing with the MGS: Master Collection Vol.1 thing on Steam? Every game is a separate package of 59,99 each except MG/MG2/Bonuses free? Edit: ah, nm you can only purchase as the package that includes all.
image.png

Last edited:

Neff

This is one I coded myself. For both ARM and x86.

Yeah I still think you'd be in for a fun surprise if you assumed the process of porting a multi-million dollar budget series like Metal Gear Solid, with elaborate 3D engines, vast bodies of data, and a staggering amount of moving parts with endless potential for code/logic conflicts was as simple as recompiling and 'debugging' an isometric 2D mobile shooter.

RagnarokIV

Boggles my mind that they used the 🤢360 version to port from..No pressure sensitive buttons from the Playstation version or any of the PS Exclusive side content…Ffs it just blows my mind porting a shit port of a classic Playstation franchise to the PS5…Worse image quality in MGS1 though is just criminal.

Mate, there hasn't been any first-party pressure sensitive controller since DualShock 3.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Yeah I still think you'd be in for a fun surprise if you assumed the process of porting a multi-million dollar budget series like Metal Gear Solid, with elaborate 3D engines, vast bodies of data, and a staggering amount of moving parts with endless potential for code/logic conflicts was as simple as recompiling and 'debugging' an isometric 2D mobile shooter.
Neon Noir is 3D and you can think whatever you want. I actually did it, as you suggested.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The MGS2 codec delay was the single worst aspect of the HD Collection. Thank goodness its fixed.

BryceNobody

Gotta wait till after work to download PC version. Anyone tried it yet?
Been poking around all the games so far. Started a playthrough of MGS1 on PS5, snuck my way up to Ocelot.

Honestly… I know it’s fashionable to rip on Konami here, but the presentation of these ports seems pretty damn slick. The bonus content and sheer range of versions included makes this feel like a complete package, and having these titles at my fingertips on modern hardware is awesome. I’ve been enjoying my latest romp through Shadow Moses with zero issues thus far.

(Also: the in-game pause delay is completely, utterly overblown. Takes literally one second to load.)

Last edited:

dotnotbot

There are some sound issues like changing/equipping weapons in MGS2 has annyoing high pitched sound.

Last edited:

SCB3

Just checked out a hour of Outerheaven streaming this and yea it does look a nice little collection, a lazy effort in ways sure, but hey at least its bringing these in together, I grabbed the PS5 version and will no doubt get it on steam in a sale for prosperitys sake, but these are some of my favorite games of all time and its always a joy to play thorouh them again

Ben87fr

I have a question, is it possible to play mgs1 in different languages ? Because i'm in France and i'd like to play it in English, and maybe Japanese ? It was released in full French at the time

RagnarokIV

Been poking around all the games so far. Started a playthrough of MGS1 on PS5, snuck my way up to Ocelot.

Honestly… I know it’s fashionable to rip on Konami here, but the presentation of these ports seems pretty damn slick. The bonus content and sheer range of versions included makes this feel like a complete package, and having these titles at my fingertips on modern hardware is awesome. I’ve been enjoying my latest romp through Shadow Moses with zero issues thus far.

(Also: the in-game pause delay is completely, utterly overblown. Takes literally one second to load.)
Sorry I mean PC version specifically. I have the other console versions and yeah I agree - it's slickly packaged with everything you could want or need. The Switch version is disappointing but the others are great.
Yet people are shitting all over this because they have a personal dislike for a faceless corporation.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PC version is 720p, doesn't let you change the resolution. This means that console versions are also rendered at 720p most likely.

Wow, well done Konami, I didn't believe they can fuck this up so bad.

Literally ANY other port from ANY other dev/publisher would be crucified for this alone. But nooooo, its flaws are being “utterly overblown” and a nice list of improvements (half of which are just corrections of bugs and problems introduced in previous ports) has been posted in two or three different threads already. Somebody even played the “but blowing these up to 4K would just bring out artifacts” card.

I’ll quote myself:
MGS fans and their Stockholm syndrome are so precious.

Top Bottom