• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales numbers 8/29 - 4/9

jarrod

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
In Japan, at least it's a semi-OK race.
Then shouldn't the same apply to America, given PSP is outperforming DS here by a less significant rate than DS is outperforming PSP in Japan? Not to mention, here PSP still hasn't ovetaken the cumulative DS total, while in Japan DS has outsold PSP 2 to 1?

koam

Fuzzy said:
Because the PSP will double the DS in the US for August and the opposite will happen in Japan for this week? ;)

DS outsold the PSP the week Nintendogs was released in the USA. :)

I guess we should focus on Europe now?

Cragstar

Banned
koam said:

Go look back at these topics, before Nintendogs was released in Japan

PSP was regularly outselling DS, for about a 2 month period.
Everyone was harping on about the PSP beating down the DS and that Japan belonged to the Sony Faithful.

But then the Dogs released and the brain training and the rest of the bigger titles started coming.
Then people looked back at how the DS had no titles out for the period the PSP was outselling it.

Ring any bells?

jarrod said:
Then shouldn't the same apply to America, given PSP is outperforming DS here by a less significant rate than DS is outperforming PSP in Japan? Not to mention, here PSP still hasn't ovetaken the cumulative DS total, while in Japan DS has outsold PSP 2 to 1?

August will be the first month that your bolded statement above is true. Although, I expect that for the remainder of the year, the US performance will be much closer, which I can't say for Japan.

And, to your point, the same does apply to the US. PSP is struggling in Japan and DS is struggling in US/Europe (maybe was for the US depending on August NPD and whatever Sept PR Nintendo might put out).

It's far too early to try and determine who's going to be the handheld leader anywhere except Japan (which will be the DS easily)

Cragstar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
August will be the first month that your bolded statement above is true. Although, I expect that for the remainder of the year, the US performance will be much closer, which I can't say for Japan.

And, to your point, the same does apply to the US. PSP is struggling in Japan and DS is struggling in US/Europe (maybe was for the US depending on August NPD and whatever Sept PR Nintendo might put out).

It's far too early to try and determine who's going to be the handheld leader anywhere except Japan (which will be the DS easily)
^^^ DS has had no games in US/Europe in MONTHS.
That’s the difference.

Elios83

koam said:

Outsold by 5000-10,000 units?If that didn't happen in the week of the price cut + Nintendogs release it would have been a disater of epic proportions for DS.
Plus august will be probably the slowest month of the year for PSP in US with no new releases and the launch hype over.From Spetember on sales should start to increase again thanks to the strong lineup.

NWO

sonycowboy said:
Fixed

It's always about the software.

That's not true.

In fact the DS and Gamecube had a span when they had about 10 COMBINED games released for both platforms for the span of 3 months in America.

The PSP has always had games out in Japan its just that you don't see them chart so you assume that they had no releases.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Fixed

It's always about the software.
PSP hasn't gone without at least 3-4 releases in Japan each month. In fact, PSP's had a more loaded release schedule than DS in Japan so far overall... and it's never had a dry spell like the US DS endured post launch.

Culex

Banned
I believe the honeymoon is over for the PSP in Japan right now. The White PSP should garner some post-marital bedtime, but only long enough before the poolboy is back.

Elios83

jarrod said:
PSP hasn't gone without at least 3-4 releases in Japan each month. In fact, PSP's had a more loaded release schedule than DS in Japan so far overall... and it's never had a dry spell like the US DS endured post launch.

Ok but it's not the number,it's the quality and the appeal they have on the market.
PSP had no KA in these months.The first will be WE.

donny2112

If he can say,

Cragstar said:
^^^ DS has had no games in US/Europe in MONTHS.
That’s the difference.

then you can say

sonycowboy said:
Cragstar said:
^^^ PSP has had no games in Japan in MONTHS.

That's the difference.

Fixed

but based on the fact Japan's release lists for PSP and DS have been discussed before (PSP being about equal on game releases or maybe even a couple of more games), and I know what's been released in the U.S. over the past few months for DS, I think you're both wrong. :p

The DS isn't quite back at 2x PSP total hardware in Japan, but I expect it will be before the end of the year. If the Brain Training games are released in Europe and not the U.S. (*shakes fist at NOA*), I'll probably be importing my first game from Europe. :-/

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
Ok but it's not the number,it's the quality and the appeal they have on the market.
PSP had no KA in these months.The first will be WE.
I dunno... I expect WE PSP to probably sell on par with Mingol, SSM and other million selling PS2 brands on PSP (250-350k). PSP's first JP killer app will be Crisis Core FF7.

Still, it's not like PSP's been barren. It's gotten successful brands like Tales, Bleach, Shutokou Battle, Ape Escape, Tenchu, PopoloCrois, Rockman Neo and others in the meantime.

Taker666

Culex said:
I believe the honeymoon is over for the PSP in Japan right now. The White PSP should garner some post-marital bedtime, but only long enough before the poolboy is back.

I'm not so sure.

The PSP has much stronger and bigger releases for the rest of September in Japan.
It could start to pull ahead for a while.

Sony have White PSP, Pro Evo, Ghost in the Shell,Princess Crown, Formula One, Gundam Tactics and Guilty Gear all in the next few weeks.

Nintendo have Phoenix Wright and Tamagotchi DS (both could be big) but that's about it.

Of course GB Micro with thrash them both but it could also cut into sales of the DS (or PSP if Nintendo are lucky).

donny2112

BuzzJive said:
So DS sales went up slightly this week with no new releases...

With the Brain Training games totally bucking the idea that sales go down after time, they could almost count as a new release every week. :lol

That attach ratio of the Brain Training games to new DS sales is probably quite high.

ziran

ki/oon said:
Meanwhile in Japan (hardware sales for the week) :

DS = 58000
PSP = 22000
ki/oon's been reliable before, his previous sales data has always been correct.

as for ds sales, wow! it managed 58k without any new releases!!!

i think the most significant thing the japanese sales have been showing is, if nintendo had released a more traditional handheld, to match psp, they wouldn't have had such amazing success.

the ds is selling so well because of what it isn't, as much as what it is. it isn't a conventional handheld, it's different. it offers new ways to play existing games and new games to play. nearly 2.5 million games sold on ds are from new ips, with ~ 1.6 million of those coming from nintendogs and the brain games!

traditional videogames are on a decline in japan and the ds is really helping to bring some life back into the market, which is a great achievement!

Miburou

PSP sales, at 20K+, aren't bad at all, it's just that DS sales are better. It'll be interesting to see sales when the white PSP + WE9 come out. Too bad Crisis Core and GT4 Mobile are too far away/never coming out.

Cragstar

Banned
22000 PSP sales = Lots of loss
Lack of high software sales = Lots of loss
UMD sales ok = bit of revenue.!

Sony relied on software sales being high to recoup money lost on Hardware.
In Japan its not happening, so sales of hardware and low software sales, must be hurting Sony.

massive hardware and software sales on games which cost pittance to make = money for Nintendo

Pimpwerx

[Phoenix]Japan is lost!!! It's time to get the few surviving PSP owners out of there and relocate to the West, where there's still a chance.[/Phoenix] ;)

Seriously...the gap ain't unbeatable yet, but this is without Pokemon ffs. There is some serious ass-rapage coming over there if that software library doesn't shape up quick. And to think, I thought it was the price that would do it in. PEACE.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not to sound like a broken record, but if Sony doesn't do something soon, they're going to lose a large ammount of their Japanese PSP support (if they havent already...wait for TGS I guess)

Nobody wants to make games for a console when people aren't buying it.

(and yeah Europe and America, but these are Japanese companies. They think Japan first)

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
PSP sales, at 20K+, aren't bad at all, it's just that DS sales are better. It'll be interesting to see sales when the white PSP + WE9 come out. Too bad Crisis Core and GT4 Mobile are too far away/never coming out.
GC sales, at 20K+, aren't bad at all, it's just that PS2 sales are better. It'll be interesting to see sales when the platinum GC + REmake come out. Too bad RE4 and Zelda are too far away/never coming out.

GDGF said:
Not to sound like a broken record, but if Sony doesn't do something soon, they're going to lose a large ammount of their Japanese PSP support (if they havent already...wait for TGS I guess)

Nobody wants to make games for a console when people aren't buying it.

Capcom just announced some heavy PSP support. So apparently the PSP's position didn't really matter to them. I suspect many other developers will be as forgiving for some time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS - 58,579
PS2 - 26,282
PSP - 22,610
GBASP - 11,081
GC - 2,388
GBA - 538
Xbox - 198

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,578,877 / 3,074,473
PSP - 1,193,086 / 1,675,338
DS Lead - 385,791 / 1,399,135

GDGF

Soothsayer
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Capcom just announced some heavy PSP support. So apparently the PSP's position didn't really matter to them. I suspect many other developers will be as forgiving for some time.

I would have been surprised if Capcom had not announced heavy PSP support, actually. As I sad in another thread, they kinda consider themselves the great equilizer of the playing field. They offered Dreamcast heavy support at first. They did the same with the Gamecube. Now it's the PSP's turn. If you think about it, receiving heavy Capcom support is a big flashing sign that your system is the underdog :)

mutsu

Fuzzy said:
DS - 58,579
PS2 - 26,282
PSP - 22,610
GBASP - 11,081
GC - 2,388
GBA - 538
Xbox - 198

YTD / LTD

DS sales this week again almost triples the PSPs.... very nice.

and once again, DS > PS2 + PSP

Fuzzy

And the final software numbers for this week.

1. PS2 Tales of Legendia - 51,676
2. NDS DS Training For Adults - 33,745
3. NDS Gentle Brain Exercises - 31,445
4. PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. - 27,598
5. PSP Bleach 2 - 26,446
6. NDS Jump Super Stars - 21,826
7. PS2 Winning Eleven 9 - 20,821
8. PS2 Naruto Uzumaki Ninden - 17,381
9. GBA Mushiking - Sega - 12,562
10. PS2 Winning Post 7 - 10,731

Titles in the top 50 by platform.

PS2 - 22
DS - 15
PSP - 7
GBA - 4
GC - 2
Xbox - 0

Ruzbeh

Banned
Fuzzy said:
DS - 58,579
PS2 - 26,282
PSP - 22,610
GBASP - 11,081
GC - 2,388
GBA - 538
Xbox - 198

YTD / LTD
Very, very nice. Very strong performance. ki/oon Was right! :D
Fuzzy said:
And the final software numbers for this week.

1. PS2 Tales of Legendia - 51,676
2. NDS DS Training For Adults - 33,745
3. NDS Gentle Brain Exercises - 31,445
4. PS2 Gundam Seed Destiny: Generation of C.E. - 27,598
5. PSP Bleach 2 - 26,446
6. NDS Jump Super Stars - 21,826
7. PS2 Winning Eleven 9 - 20,821
8. PS2 Naruto Uzumaki Ninden - 17,381
9. GBA Mushiking - Sega - 12,562
10. PS2 Winning Post 7 - 10,731

Titles in the top 50 by platform.

PS2 - 22
DS - 15
PSP - 7
GBA - 4
GC - 2
Xbox - 0
Bleach is doing pretty damn good, imo. 15 DS titles in top 50 versus 7 PSP titles... not bad, again.

mutsu

Fuzzy said:

Sad... only Pokemon XD and Mario Baseball on the list...

Chibi Robo dropped like a fly! As did Dance Dance Revolution...

15 DS titles in top 50 versus 7 PSP titles... not bad, again.

Worth noting that 6/7 PSP titles occupy the bottom 25... and 9/15 DS titles on the top 25.

Fuzzy

mutsu said:
Worth noting that 6/7 PSP titles occupy the bottom 25... and 9/15 DS titles on the top 25.
Go back and count, the PSP has 4 titles in the top 25 while the DS has 7.

Top Bottom