• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn's directing The Secret Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Directed by Matthew Vaughn
Written by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn
Created by Mark Millar

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...cret-service-slated-for-2014-release-20130327

Matthew Vaughn's Next Film Will Be Mark Millar's 'The Secret Service,' Slated For 2014 Release

Matthew Vaughn doesn't tend to be the sort of director to get attached to a zillion projects. The director behind "Kick-Ass" and "X-Men: First Class" found his schedule wide open when he dropped out of helming "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" last fall, and while he was briefly rumored as a contender for "Star Wars: Episode 7" and signed up to produce Josh Trank's "Fantastic Four," his next gig is actually one that has been brewing for a long time now, and it will reunite him with a old pal.

Deadline reports that Fox has snapped up the distribution rights for "The Secret Service," an adaptation of Mark Millar's comic book (he's also some kind nerd consultant for the studio) that will be directed by Vaughn. The helmer was looking at the gig as far back as a couple of years ago along with another Millar property, "Superior," but this is the one that's now moving fast. It's a pretty ambitious concept, that starts as a father/son protegé tale but expands into a variety of pretty wild storylines. Here's the Amazon synopsis from the upcoming comic, set to be published this summer.

The world's greatest secret agent is on the most exciting case of his career. But will the end of the world as know it take a back seat to training his street-punk nephew to be the next James Bond? meanwhile, what's the secret link between a series of kidnapped sci-fi stars, the murder of an entire town, and a dark secret from inside Mount Everest? Under Uncle Jack's supervision, Gary's spy skills and confidence blossom--but when the duo learn what's behind the celebrity kidnappings, the knowledge comes at a price. The conspiracy begins to unravel, but who can be trusted when so many prominent figures seem to be involved?

It sounds, for better or worse, Millar-esque, but lots of people have faith and production is gearing up to start in August with a 2014 release date planned by Fox. So it seems Vaughn isn't straying from the comic book gravy train, and we'll be interested to see how he can assemble for this one.

Variety has the first 8 pages, on separate pages, of course, or you could find them elsewhere.

Also, Mark Hamill appears in the first issue and they're hoping to get him to reprise his role in the film adaptation.

Created by Mark Millar

image-8.gif

Anticitizen One believes The Avengers is the brainchild of Mark Millar's Ultimates, although outside Sam Jackson Nick Fury and the "realism", that's pretty questionable

The Chitauri, the version of hawkeye they use, the idea of hawkeye and black widow starting out as SHIELD agents who end up joining the team, manipulative sam jackson nick fury, and out of costume loki all come from Millar's Ultimates. I would also go as far as to say that both the Captain America and Thor movies were heavily influenced by the ultimates as well. Captain America being influenced by Millar/Hitch's WWII costume and the idea of Thor comes to earth and everyone thinks hes a crazy guy making shit up.

Additionally, Mark Millar has received a credit on several of the films and was involved in the early creative talks for the Marvel cinematic universe.

Chairhome

I am excite. This doesn't sound like his typical exploitation fare, the comic isn't already out?

The comic is out, I think there's one or two more issues left. I've read the first three or four issues, and I think something cool can come out of this, especially directed by Matt Vaughan. The nephew's training is pretty cool. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom