• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Deadly Premonition - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Deadly Premonition[a] is an open world survival horror video game developed by Access Games. Set in the fictional, rural American town of Greenvale, Washington, the story follows FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan as he investigates the murder of an eighteen-year-old woman, which bears similarities to a series of murders across the country. Deadly Premonition was originally released in February 2010 for Xbox 360 and in March 2010 for PlayStation 3; the Xbox 360 version was published by Ignition Entertainment in North America, Marvelous Entertainment in Japan, and Rising Star Games in Europe. Marvelous Entertainment released the PlayStation 3 version exclusively in Japan. A director's cut edition for PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Windows was released worldwide by Rising Star Games in 2013. A port for the Nintendo Switch, Deadly Premonition: Origins, followed in 2019.

Deadly Premonition is a reboot of Access Games' earlier video game Rainy Woods. In production from September 2004 to October 2007, Rainy Woods was cancelled soon after its debut at the 2007 Tokyo Game Show due to technical issues. Deadly Premonition combined its assets with a new game scenario and protagonist, Francis York Morgan. Gameplay is divided into York's detective investigation into Greenvale and its inhabitants, and supernatural combat sequences in which York must battle or evade otherworldly beings. Development on Deadly Premonition's setting was guided by an intention to imbue the game with a sense of realism: the non-player characters follow an individualized 24-hour schedule, and the scale of Greenvale is intended to replicate that of a rural American town. Issues with memory allocation, various lighting and shadow aspects, and the physics engine PhysX were faced during development.

Deadly Premonition received wildly varying critical reviews and holds the Guinness World Record for the most critically polarizing survival horror game. Although the original release has not been commercially successful, Deadly Premonition has garnered a cult following and has been cited as an example of games as art. A sequel, Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise, was released on the Nintendo Switch on July 10, 2020.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bumping this old thread because it's a damn fucking shame what happened to Deadly Premonition.

I didn't touch or know much about any of the ports beyond the original 360 release but turns out every single one of them shat the bed one way or the other.

The PS3 port had a lot of glitches, poor performance, bad Move and 3D implementation and the "Directors Cut" aspect was just shitty PR with pointless added cut-scenes that later releases stripped out. The PC version built off of it and is one of the worst PC ports of all time despite Durante having a crack at it. The Switch version is, again, built off the same port and is shit-tier with glitches and bad performance galore.

It's remarkable that a decade and change later, the best way to play this cult classic is still the original 360 version, via OG hardware or BC emulation.

If anyone is interested in finding more about the shit ports, here's an exhaustive video that goes over them.

Last edited:

Bridges

Was the Switch sequel ever patched up? I know it was a mess at launch.
It got some framerate patches that took it from terrible to slightly less terrible. I think it was also the same patch that removed some dialogue for being politically incorrect.

bender

What time is it?
It got some framerate patches that took it from terrible to slightly less terrible. I think it was also the same patch that removed some dialogue for being politically incorrect.

I think you might be confusing Deadly Premonition Origins and Deadly Premonition 2.

ZoukGalaxy

The game that totally wasted me an evening/night on Xbox 360, this a purr shitty game.
The fact that the game have fans is just beyond me: what went wrong.
I think the game is so bad that it became good for some, I don't understand but I respect it, but there is no scale low enough to tell how bad it is: you need to play it

tired i feel like shit GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Last edited:

adamsapple

Going by the video I linked, it got SOME fixes in patches for the more glaring glitches, but the general performance and draw distance, hitching etc related issues inherited from the PS3's so called "Directors Cut" are still there

The game that wasted me a evening/night on Xbox 360, this a purr shitty game.
The fact that the game have fans is just beyond me: what went wrong in the brain.

raincoat-killer-deadly-premonition.gif

Last edited:

Bridges

I think you might be confusing Deadly Premonition Origins and Deadly Premonition 2.
Going by the video I linked, it got SOME fixes in patches for the more glaring glitches, but the general performance and draw distance, hitching etc related issues inherited from the PS3's so called "Directors Cut" are still there
Chuck Berry Chuck Berry was asking about "the Switch sequel" so I was referring to Deadly Premonition 2, but if he meant Origins then my bad for sure.

I own a copy of Origins but never opened it. The Director's Cut versions are trash so I just replay through Xbox BC.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The game that wasted me a evening/night on Xbox 360, this a purr shitty game.
The fact that the game have fans is just beyond me: what went wrong.
I think the game is so bad that it became good for some, I don't understand but I respect it, but there is no scale low enough to tell how bad it is: you need to play it

I actually 100% agree with this. One of the jankiest, worst games I ever gave over an hour to.

Bridges

I actually 100% agree with this. One of the jankiest, worst games I ever gave over an hour to.
It's got a great story, some really interesting multi-dimensional characters, and a few really great plot twists.

The gameplay, yes, is incredibly janky and dated. But it is wrapped in some very interesting mechanics like every character having their own schedule and the need to bathe and re-clothe yourself. The tone is also so jarring and strange that there is nothing else like it in the medium.

I fully understand why some people can't get past Its shortcomings, but for those that can it is an all-time great.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It's got a great story, some really interesting multi-dimensional characters, and a few really great plot twists.

The gameplay, yes, is incredibly janky and dated. But it is wrapped in some very interesting mechanics like every character having their own schedule and the need to bathe and re-clothe yourself. The tone is also so jarring and strange that there is nothing else like it in the medium.

I fully understand why some people can't get past Its shortcomings, but for those that can it is an all-time great.
All time great 😂😂😂. I can bathe, re-clothe, and have my own schedule in real life….if that’s what makes a game an all time great, even if the rest of the game is complete hogwash, I don’t know what to tell you. The game is garbage, and agree with the initial poster that I replied to. And he/she is completely right that the cult following the game has, legitimately only likes it because it’s so bad. The devs got y’all brainwashed, there is nothing good about the game.

It’s difficult to play, the graphics are subpar, and the story is not great at all.

Again, just my opinion per the norm on these boards, but when someone argues that a game like this is an all-time great, I’m going to call you out on it. If you enjoy it, cool…but all-time great…come on now 😂

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

raincoat-killer-deadly-premonition.gif
The PS3 Director’s Cut slightly improve the controls when you are walking around and you are trying to shoot at enemies, but sure it is not enough to make it the best way to play… that is clearly on XSX|S: framerate is mostly rock solid there, you have auto HDR, and loading times are MUCH much shorter than on other platforms (albeit you miss the various mods people have done to it on PC).

Why are loading times important? The game has a lot of moments when you are entering or exiting buildings, some boss sections that can be a bit annoying to repeat otherwise, talking to people, and a mechanic where you are looking inside people’s houses and observing their routine where it is a couple seconds to enter this mode and almost instant to go back to the open world vs say 15s or more to do that back and forth on PS3… at one point I had to time it and record it on XSX as it was ridiculously faster.

I also do enjoy it, the atmosphere Swery’s team created, the very Twin Peaks like story and absurd characters it has, the realism they tried to build in the experience, the visuals in general (world was simple, but felt vast, even the interiors were large and spacious) and yes they had a lot of Hank and PS2 on steroids in them… but still…

Last edited:

manzo

Finished the 360 original some time in 2011.

This and Alan Wake hold the same rural american town-feeling that I absolutely adored. I liked both, Deadly Premonition even better. The game was an absolute mess technically, but it's one of the rare games which I will NEVER forget.

Although I still laugh at the 560p 15fps on a 110" video projector screen. Both Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition looked so blurred and vaseline-covered shit..

ShadowNate

The Xbox version is still the best one, in spite of all its shortcomings and bugs. I hoped that the PC version would be based on it and keep getting updates to reach a more user friendly gameplay state, but alas, the port was pretty bad and remained so. At least you can get it for pennies on every sale. Maybe it was given away for free too.

I haven't touched the sequel yet. It's on Steam though.

H4ze

Thanks for sharing, I absolutely love Deadly Premonition, it's one of the goats to me.
It made me watch Twin Peaks for the first time.

It's a shame how piss poor they treated the pc version.

adamsapple

The PS3 Director’s Cut slightly improve the controls when you are walking around and you are trying to shoot at enemies, but sure it is not enough to make it the best way to play… that is clearly on XSX|S: framerate is mostly rock solid there, you have auto HDR, and loading times are MUCH much shorter than on other platforms (albeit you miss the various mods people have done to it on PC).

Why are loading times important? The game has a lot of moments when you are entering or exiting buildings, some boss sections that can be a bit annoying to repeat otherwise, talking to people, and a mechanic where you are looking inside people’s houses and observing their routine where it is a couple seconds to enter this mode and almost instant to go back to the open world vs say 15s or more to do that back and forth on PS3… at one point I had to time it and record it on XSX as it was ridiculously faster.

I also do enjoy it, the atmosphere Swery’s team created, the very Twin Peaks like story and absurd characters it has, the realism they tried to build in the experience, the visuals in general (world was simple, but felt vast, even the interiors were large and spacious) and yes they had a lot of Hank and PS2 on steroids in them… but still…

Yep, while I won't fault people from not playing it because of the games technical makeup. Those who do decide to power through the first hour or two, will play one of the most interesting and ambitious low-budget games.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

The writing is what makes the game enjoyable, the rest of it being shit is the charm of the game, huess its like marmite

Killer8

Play the original 360 version on a Series X, ignore all other versions. A 360 hooked up to a CRT is also an interesting choice.

Ignore all the other versions and the sequel too. The original was lighting in a bottle that Swery couldn't recapture.

I miraculously managed to get this running on my PC. It still crashed once which forced me to seek a save game file.

I'm also the only person who liked the sequel.

adamsapple

I miraculously managed to get this running on my PC. It still crashed once which forced me to seek a save game file.

Surprisingly, I haven't even gotten around to playing it yet. Somehow, it feels like playing it would be just sullying the game. But that's just my crazy mind.

-

I ran across this comparison video between the original 360 and PS3 Director's Cut, the frame rate in the PS3 build is so atrocious.

Surprisingly, I haven't even gotten around to playing it yet. Somehow, it feels like playing it would be just sullying the game. But that's just my crazy mind.

-

I ran across this comparison video between the original 360 and PS3 Director's Cut, the frame rate in the PS3 build is so atrocious.

Supergreatfriend's LP of Deadly Premonition is a must watch. Good channel overall, too.

Bridges

Put me in that camp too. It didn't quite reach the heights of the original, but I really enjoyed my time with 2. Some of the magic wasn't there, but getting to spend more time with York and Zach was really great.

Top Bottom