• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: Industry spend CAGR has been basically flat since the pandemic, no significant upside room for player/hours growth, costs keep rising

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Isn't Mat Picatella the same guy who said ~50% of console players are female and called people Satan for questioning it?

GAAS will take it from here folks. Basically all the growth over the next 10 years will come from new GAAS games. Buckle up.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All this doom and gloom lmao. Gaming is stronger than ever. People are not going to stop playing video games just because its 2024. More players are playing games than ever before. Spiderman 2 just became the fastest selling PS game ever. All companies are more profitable than ever before.

The problem is that they dont want to take a loss on their console like they did in the past to hit the $300 let alone $199 mark. Thats when you get the casuals. But right now, everyone just wants to make profits and arent willing to grow. Then they bitch about not growing.

This guy below is right. Games are too big, too long, and too expensive. Spiderman was a 15 hour game with maybe 5-10 hours of optional content. Sold better than any of this other bloated shit from Sony. GOW sold 5 million in a week or something crazy like that. Did it sell that much because it was twice as long as the first game? because it was 40-50 hours long? Nah. it was always going to sell well. They shouldve made a 15 hour game with maybe 10 hours of side content and shipped it in 2-3 years. instead the 4.5 years it took them to make a last gen game.

HFW is even longer with almost 100 hours of content. Why the fuck did it need to be that big? Mass Effect 2 was made in 2 years. Had 20 hours of main content with 10 hours of side quests. One of the greatest games ever made.

Corporations like Sony, MS and EA need to intervene and say, here you have 2.5-3 years max. Deliver what you can in that time period. Cut what you cant. You are not going above 3 years, period.

People are going to buy these games. No one is saying release a 6 hour campaign. But 15 hours like Uncharted 4, Spiderman 1, and 2 and TLOU1? Why would people skip those games?
When it comes to big budget open world games, the thing is part of the marketing of the game is often "bigger is better". More land to explore, more towns to visit etc... How many big open world games have gamers played where it turns out the new game content is smaller and shorter?

So it's a never ending cycle. A threshold is set and game makers promote whats bigger and better, so gamers expect it.

For other things in life, how often does a customer expect bigger? They might expect better quality. But I dont think the typical consumer expects bags of cookies or pasta get bigger in size as the draw? Same size for the most part.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's funny how the fat guy Matt is clamoring to GTA6 to save them. As if GTA6 selling 40 million will benefit anyone but one publisher and select number of shareholders and investors. In fact, its release will most likely cannibalize sales of smaller games. Piscatella talks about a problem and then hopes the cause of said problem (consolidation of market buying habits) will save it. Completely clueless like he's always been.
He's probably expecting it to be a casual gamer system seller. Then they will inevitably buy more than 1 game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When it comes to big budget open world games, the thing is part of the marketing of the game is often "bigger is better". More land to explore, more towns to visit etc... How many big open world games have gamers played where it turns out the new game content is smaller and shorter?

So it's a never ending cycle. A threshold is set and game makers promote whats bigger and better, so gamers expect it.

For other things in life, how often does a customer expect bigger? They might expect better quality. But I dont think the typical consumer expects bags of cookies or pasta get bigger in size as the draw? Same size for the most part.
yep. no one goes to movie theaters wanting a 4 hour movie. if anything studios cut the crap out of their movies to stay around 2 hours.

Video game developers just need more oversight. I feel like the best studios especially are given way too much leeway. Bioware has been working on dragon age since 2017 and full time on it since shipping anthem in feb 2019. that was five fucking years ago. WTF is taking so long? this after they took 7 years to make anthem.

And this is an EA studio. The worst company in America. Sounds to me that the EA execs are too nice. If it was me, heads would roll after i didnt see the game half done by year 2.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's what happens when you beloved fumbles the ball with AAA for over a decade. ;)
Literally has nothing to do with it. I was a huge fan of Sony when they had AA games. I've literally always loved AA games and publicly argued for more of them on all systems. If anything, I like Xbox more this gen because they've had more AA games.

Still a braindead console warrior I see.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

He's probably expecting it to be a casual gamer system seller. Then they will inevitably buy more than 1 game.
Seems really far-fetched and unsubstantiated. Hardware adoption has been fairly good this gen. The problem is that people don't see any incentive to venture outside their comfort zones. Those comfort zones that big publishers spent billions creating. IMO this is all just poetic justice. They cultivated this system for more than a decade and a lot of us were vocally against it from the start. But short term profits mattered above all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Literally has nothing to do with it. I was a huge fan of Sony when they had AA games. I've literally always loved AA games and publicly argued for more of them on all systems.
Sony still has tons of AA games. They even fund a ton of them.

AA isn't something new and revolutionary. It has been a think in gaming since the PS1 days or earlier. Indies just stepped up their game so they're more prevalent the past 2 gens.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yep. no one goes to movie theaters wanting a 4 hour movie. if anything studios cut the crap out of their movies to stay around 2 hours.

Video game developers just need more oversight. I feel like the best studios especially are given way too much leeway. Bioware has been working on dragon age since 2017 and full time on it since shipping anthem in feb 2019. that was five fucking years ago. WTF is taking so long? this after they took 7 years to make anthem.

And this is an EA studio. The worst company in America. Sounds to me that the EA execs are too nice. If it was me, heads would roll after i didnt see the game half done by year 2.
All the production values into tons of cut scenes and VA has got to be a pricey slog too.

I'm not saying I want junky aesthetics or acting (even though to me I skip most of it, but I still might want to see some half decent stuff), but how many gamers drool over tons of this stuff?

But who knows, maybe casuals not on game forums love it, while core gamers prefer gameplay, frames and modes. But in general I dont think the typical gaffer cares about 2 hours of canned cutscenes to watch once and never again.

SlimySnake

All the production values into tons of cut scenes and VA has got to be a pricey slog too.

I'm not saying I want junky aesthetics or acting (even though to me I skip most of it, but I still might want to see some half decent stuff), but how many gamers drool over tons of this stuff?

But who knows, maybe casuals not on game forums love it, while core gamers prefer gameplay, frames and modes. But in general I dont think the typical gaffer cares about 2 hours of canned cutscenes to watch once and never again.
I think the fact that Sony cinematic games went from selling 3-5 million in the PS3 era to 20-30 million in the PS4 and now PS5 era shows that there is a demand for these narrative driven high production value games even among casuals.

The only problem is that now those games went from 15 hours with maybe 2 hours of cutscenes to animate, light, and polish to almost 6 hours. Thats like directing two LOTR movies. I am sure there is a massive cost to producing these fancy cinematics and the length of the game is simply exacerbating the problem. GOW actually has characters constantly talking through out its 40 hour campaign. Like literally during every single mission, every single fake loading screen, every single fight with enemies, they are talking and moving the plot forward outside of cutscenes. That was great in uncharted 2-4 which were 10-15 hours long, but now with TLOU2 being almost 30 hours, you are not only producing 2-3x as many cutscenes but also voicing and coordinating 30-50 hours of voice over on gameplay.

i say go back to 15 hour TLOU1 length campaigns with additional modes like No Return, Valhalla or even some pvp providing more value. PvP doesnt have to be GaaS you support, just an additional mode to give you an extra 10-20 hours of fun with the combat system. It worked for Uncharted 2-4 and TLOU1. Not sure why they changed tactics. Value was NOT an issue in the PS3 era with its 8-10 hour campaigns and multiplayer modes.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nobody but unfortunately like most things in life the VCs are out there to make money and when they see "flat or declining" numbers they just don't back or fund things anymore.
Ok. But supposedly the industry reported record income during 2020 and 2021 due to COVID, so publishers should be able to invest in their own growth without the help of VCs, by expanding into new markets, developing new kinds of products or otherwise coming up with new business opportunities - the very thing execs are paid to do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the fact that Sony cinematic games went from selling 3-5 million in the PS3 era to 20-30 million in the PS4 and now PS5 era shows that there is a demand for these narrative driven high production value games even among casuals.

The only problem is that now those games went from 15 hours with maybe 2 hours of cutscenes to animate, light, and polish to almost 6 hours. Thats like directing two LOTR movies. I am sure there is a massive cost to producing these fancy cinematics and the length of the game is simply exacerbating the problem. GOW actually has characters constantly talking through out its 40 hour campaign. Like literally during every single mission, every single fake loading screen, every single fight with enemies, they are talking and moving the plot forward outside of cutscenes. That was great in uncharted 2-4 which were 10-15 hours long, but now with TLOU2 being almost 30 hours, you are not only producing 2-3x as many cutscenes but also voicing and coordinating 30-50 hours of voice over on gameplay.

i say go back to 15 hour TLOU1 length campaigns with additional modes like No Return, Valhalla or even some pvp providing more value. PvP doesnt have to be GaaS you support, just an additional mode to give you an extra 10-20 hours of fun with the combat system. It worked for Uncharted 2-4 and TLOU1. Not sure why they changed tactics. Value was NOT an issue in the PS3 era with its 8-10 hour campaigns and multiplayer modes.
Good point. It might be one of things like MTX.

You wont find too many gaffers admitting they buy tons of MTX, but going by industry MTX revenue it's in the stratosphere. So someone is buying FIFA HUTs cards and loot crates and skins. I dont think many gaffers will admit they love watching 4 hours of cut scenes. But maybe many do.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Good point. It might be one of things like MTX.

You wont find too many gaffers admitting they buy tons of MTX, but going by industry MTX revenue it's in the stratosphere. So someone is buying FIFA HUTs cards and loot crates and skins. I dont think many gaffers will admit they love watching 4 hours of cut scenes. But maybe many do.
yeah, gamers are a hypocritical bunch. just look at how much they shat on suicide squad and then bought helldivers literally a week later. At this point, everyone on gaf knows Sony games have a lot of cutscenes but they buy them anyway because they like them. I am frankly sick of the walking segments in their games but i wont lie, i loved spiderman 2 after almost a year of games with no proper storytelling. the best i got was re4 which is a cheesy B story and star wars which goes like 5 hours in between cutscenes. I enjoy both but i prefer the more curated sony experiences. makes me a hypocrit after bitching about gow ragnorak for a year, but sometimes you dont know how mcuh you appreciate something after you go a year without it.

Three

Ok. But supposedly the industry reported record income during 2020 and 2021 due to COVID, so publishers should be able to invest in their own growth without the help of VCs, by expanding into new markets, developing new kinds of products or otherwise coming up with new business opportunities - the very thing execs are paid to do.
The publishers themselves aren't doing great to back projects either according to the general feeling from D. I. C. E:
- Everyone is shit-talking Embracer
- There's minimal investment coming from publishers

I assume due to reduced spending the last year or so. A lot of businesses have bunkered down and they're just trying to survive this year. Risky new projects/products are off the table or getting cancelled.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
yeah, gamers are a hypocritical bunch. just look at how much they shat on suicide squad and then bought helldivers literally a week later. At this point, everyone on gaf knows Sony games have a lot of cutscenes but they buy them anyway because they like them. I am frankly sick of the walking segments in their games but i wont lie, i loved spiderman 2 after almost a year of games with no proper storytelling. the best i got was re4 which is a cheesy B story and star wars which goes like 5 hours in between cutscenes. I enjoy both but i prefer the more curated sony experiences. makes me a hypocrit after bitching about gow ragnorak for a year, but sometimes you dont know how mcuh you appreciate something after you go a year without it.
I heard the writing in Sm2 is really shitty... loved the first game though... Im waiting to play on ps5 pro maybe with psplus who knows 😅

SlimySnake

I heard the writing in Sm2 is really shitty... loved the first game though... Im waiting to play on ps5 pro maybe with psplus who knows 😅
Skip all side content and you are good. Main campaign is written rather well and aside from MJ acting like an action movie hero, it isnt all that woke either.

i wouldnt give it an award for best writing but its better than 90% of the trash that passes off for video games nowadays.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The publishers themselves aren't doing great to back projects either according to the general feeling from D. I. C. E:

I assume due to reduced spending the last year or so. A lot of businesses have bunkered down and they're just trying to survive this year. Risky new projects/products are off the table or getting cancelled.
So after two years of record revenue (and I assume also profits), publishers are cutting back because they can't get VCs on board?

I think cause and effect may be reversed here. If I was a VC and a publisher came to me asking for money, I'd ask them what they were doing with all those profits from a couple years ago? And if the answer wasn't extremely encouraging I too would pull the hell out because they look like they're incompetent at managing their own business.

Nobody but unfortunately like most things in life the VCs are out there to make money and when they see "flat or declining" numbers they just don't back or fund things anymore.

Pretty much this. I don't think anything can be done other than just let things adjust and wait for these companies to realize this is the level gaming is that and that's that. This is why I think it's great that Sony is taking their IPs to other forms of media cause that's the best way to try and make extra money. Make a TV show, make a movie (just watch the GT movie I thought it was great).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Slimy, I forgot to reply to this part of your post:

But right now, everyone just wants to make profits and arent willing to grow. Then they bitch about not growing.

Looks like tech companies are just doing what other industries have done for years before. Tech is an industry overall which is big on expansion, market share and getting as many customers at all costs in hopes of long term usage and sales.

Traditional companies have set aside the market share and unit sales focus long time ago. Of course the company still needs to grow top line sales, but a giant focus on your typical pop or bread maker is profits and margin. Chasing customers for maximum unit sales is tough in modern day as it's so much more competitive. When I started at my company 10 years ago it was already kind of wild westy. We tidied it up a lot. But way before my time the cost structures were so all over the place, but it didn't matter because decades ago sales were so slick it masks any cost inefficiencies. Back then, systems and cost tracking was lousy too so you could fly under the radar. but now everything is tracked to the dime in detail. So tons of scrutiny.

Three

So after two years of record revenue (and I assume also profits), publishers are cutting back because they can't get VCs on board?
Not due to VCs there. The publishers themselves are like the VCs when they back a studio to make a game with their money. So publishers aren't funding more things or at the level they did before because they don't see growth in the market right now. At best they will fund at the same level or less knowing it's flat or declining. They are cutting costs and bunkering up.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
It's funny how the fat guy Matt is clamoring to GTA6 to save them. As if GTA6 selling 40 million will benefit anyone but one publisher and select number of shareholders and investors. In fact, its release will most likely cannibalize sales of smaller games. Piscatella talks about a problem and then hopes the cause of said problem (consolidation of market buying habits) will save it. Completely clueless like he's always been.
A rising tide lifts all boats. People who were on the fence could buy a PS5 or Xbox for it, and then discover other games and buy them etc etc.

2024 doesn't have a game that would drive this level of purchase impulse tbh (2023 had Mario Zelda Spiderman 2 and Starfield amongst other stuff).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Not due to VCs there. The publishers themselves are like the VCs when they back a studio to make a game with their money. So publishers aren't funding more things or at the level they did before because they don't see growth in the market right now. At best they will fund at the same level or less knowing it's flat or declining. They are cutting costs and bunkering up.
Bunkering up for what exactly?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Games are $90-95 CDN. Add tax and it breaks $100. lol Ugh.
TrudeauDidThat_LeftWeb_3x225_b8c92891-cfd7-41c2-81e5-b37c44c89e9e_600x600.png

AA games don’t have to have bad visuals.

Kena is AA. Ori is AA. Ditto for Stray and Grounded. Control is an AA game, costing an estimated $15 - 20 million to make. The first Hellblade was an AA game.

People hear ‘AA’ and immediately assume it’s a 2D pixel art shooter
Isn't the new Robocop and A Plague Tale also considered 'AA'?

Three

Bunkering up for what exactly?
For lower interest rates partially but I'm not sure how much it will help. Basically they're just trying to survive this year and keep the lights on. Mostly by cutting costs where they can and not funding a lot of new projects or cancelling the more risky ones due to lowered investment. When there is no growth there is less investment both from publishers and VCs. The hope is that in 2 years it will be better again. This is a fairly good article on it here:

NickFire

I reject the premise that AAA is not sustainable. Look at Elden Ring, Hogwarts, Spiderman, etc. There is plenty of money to be made from high quality games.

If someone argues there is too much bloat, too much corporate culture in design process, too much focus on promoting personal opinions on the world, piss poor hiring choices, etc., sure I get that. But no one is going to convince me that AAA is not sustainable. That sounds like rubbish justification for failures.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
For lower interest rates partially but I'm not sure how much it will help. Basically they're just trying to survive this year and keep the lights on. Mostly by cutting costs where they can and not funding a lot of new projects or cancelling the more risky ones due to lowered investment. When there is no growth there is less investment both from publishers and VCs. The hope is that in 2 years it will be better again. This is a fairly good article on it here:

From the article:
Speaking to us privately, publishing, development and investment heads have said that continued high interest rates, oversaturated video game stores and cautious investors will result in more restructures, layoffs and closures.

Why do publishers care about interest rates when they should be in a position where they're borrowing less money, not more?
The answer to that, and probably also the reason for cautious investors, seems to be in the second part: oversaturated video game stores.

It sounds like they're not willing to admit that they took all the COVID money and put it into products that didn't sell, aka mismanaged their business.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Thus it comes hardly as a surprise that big publishers are looking to expand their revenue streams by expanding to other platforms, such as providing more and more PC ports.

Three

From the article:

Why do publishers care about interest rates when they should be in a position where they're borrowing less money, not more?
The answer to that, and probably also the reason for cautious investors, seems to be in the second part: oversaturated video game stores.

It sounds like they're not willing to admit that they took all the COVID money and put it into products that didn't sell, aka mismanaged their business.
I would definitely say it was mismanagement by embracer but no funding and not greenlighting new projects isn't really mismanagement. We're getting into economics but higher interest rates always influence spending and investment. The example the article gave is

"Why take a gamble with a games company when you can just stick the money in the bank and earn 5%"

Publishers are risk averse too I would say. They can choose not to invest in a risky release into a highly competitive games market and keep their money for now with interest. They can see that covid resulted in more releases from everyone to cash in on the increased spending and the oversaturated competition has made it even more difficult now when there is no longer growth happening.
Their solution is to keep that money and reduce costs:

"The solution is for companies to divest or cut areas of the business that are unprofitable, or a distraction from their core offering, and to focus on what they do best."

"You can already see publishers signing fewer games. That's happening everywhere. The stores are saturated, not just Steam, and the games just aren't delivering the levels they were"

That's why you're not getting many new projects greenlit. Publishers are no different to VCs, they're out there to make money and the market environment isn't favourable right now for greenlighting projects or investing in studios.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't notice this edit.

You of all people. Remove you nose from your asshole for once.
You literally think I only like AA games because MS supposedly has no AAA games? What kind of console warrior bullshit is this? You should be banned or blocked from the thread. You're an asshole and you don't know the first thing about what kind of games I like.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You literally think I only like AA games because MS supposedly has no AAA games? What kind of console warrior bullshit is this? You should be banned or blocked from the thread. You're an asshole and you don't know the first thing about what kind of games I like.
Bro, you are literally lost in the sauce right here. Stop projecting.
I'm just saying, my position is the same its been for 3 years. MS is pushing AA games or even A games mainstream. That and a cheap console. That to me is a golden age. It got rejected. Even when I agree with you guys I get sass. I know PC exists. It doesnt discount anything I said.
AA and A indies have always been in the mainstream. For decades.

Not hard to see through your ripe shit.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
All this doom and gloom lmao. Gaming is stronger than ever. People are not going to stop playing video games just because its 2024. More players are playing games than ever before. Spiderman 2 just became the fastest selling PS game ever. All companies are more profitable than ever before.

The problem is that they dont want to take a loss on their console like they did in the past to hit the $300 let alone $199 mark. Thats when you get the casuals. But right now, everyone just wants to make profits and arent willing to grow. Then they bitch about not growing.

This guy below is right. Games are too big, too long, and too expensive. Spiderman was a 15 hour game with maybe 5-10 hours of optional content. Sold better than any of this other bloated shit from Sony. GOW sold 5 million in a week or something crazy like that. Did it sell that much because it was twice as long as the first game? because it was 40-50 hours long? Nah. it was always going to sell well. They shouldve made a 15 hour game with maybe 10 hours of side content and shipped it in 2-3 years. instead the 4.5 years it took them to make a last gen game.

HFW is even longer with almost 100 hours of content. Why the fuck did it need to be that big? Mass Effect 2 was made in 2 years. Had 20 hours of main content with 10 hours of side quests. One of the greatest games ever made.

Corporations like Sony, MS and EA need to intervene and say, here you have 2.5-3 years max. Deliver what you can in that time period. Cut what you cant. You are not going above 3 years, period.

People are going to buy these games. No one is saying release a 6 hour campaign. But 15 hours like Uncharted 4, Spiderman 1, and 2 and TLOU1? Why would people skip those games?

How is the industry plagued with layoffs if all companies are making more profit than ever?

You admit yourself that games are getting increasingly expensive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
AAA exclusive market as it is .. is unsustainable... time to make a change for more shorter, less blown games, more focus on gameplay and less on super eye candy and movie like achievements... make more profitable AA games to support a few big AAA games.. and change the AAA formula so you dont take 6 years to do one game...
100% agree. It kills me that there are quality AA games and dip shit gamers are like, "this is like a PS3/360 title, it's trash!"

Why is it so bad to have these types of games on modern consoles? Same people are big mad over lack of BC to play games from that gen. It's all so incredibly dumb. 🫠

It used to be that studios went under because they were chasing the COD MP market. We still see that with GAAS but it will absolutely happen to more studios solely due to chasing production values. These risks can be easily avoided.

We see it with horror movies, they are generally a safe bet because many aren't expensive to film and there's less risk if it doesn't pack theaters for weeks on end. The exact same principle can be applied to game development.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That's why you're not getting many new projects greenlit. Publishers are no different to VCs, they're out there to make money and the market environment isn't favourable right now for greenlighting projects or investing in studios.
Publishers responded to COVID by funding unsuccessful games which are now - two to three years later - saturating the market. In response they are cutting back on investment and shutting down studios so that in the next two years they will have less output. The pattern is the same in both cases - failing to predict the market correctly.

It's not like no games were hugely successful this year. I follow mainly Nintendo games so the easiest examples I can site are TotK and Mario Wonder which sold 20 million and 10 million, respectively, during this year. Then you have games like Palworld which are also massively successful, and I'm sure there are plenty more.

The smart thing to do during 2020 and 2021 was to realize that gaming couldn't possibly continue to keep up those years' numbers, and invest some of the extra profit in other businesses or assets. Which is what publishers are supposedly doing now, only they're two to three years behind the curve.

In addition, if they're not capable of telling the difference between games that end up sitting on shelves and games that sell in the tens of millions, perhaps they should have invested some of their extra profits in better market research rather than in publishing so many games.

Sorry to be harsh, but I don't think it's just Embracer that is the problem, it seems like a wider issue with executives failing to understand their own market. There are people earning top salaries to make sound financial decisions and they do not appear to be pulling their own weight.

Inflation is a bitch.
Capitalism and greed is a bitch. C-Suite cunts saw the massive abnormal growth during the lockdown and in their swiss-cheese "can only see to the end of the quarter" brains assumed that this was the new normal and fucked themselves and everyone else in the industry.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Capitalism and greed is a bitch. C-Suite cunts saw the massive abnormal growth during the lockdown and in their swiss-cheese "can only see to the end of the quarter" brains assumed that this was the new normal and fucked themselves and everyone else in the industry.
Then those "brains" need to be let go. Most of us are not brain-trusts in companies, and even we all saw that printing money, giving money as handouts to stimulate, locking down entire countries, etc., etc., would lead to massive inflation and corporate takeover of the little guy, on top of stores having to close for rampant theft losses being allowed to fester.

That this was only temporary and once people had to decide between inflated food, gas, or rent, or vidya games, they will choose the former.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And thus Sony is investing in GaaS, to increase revenue so they can maintain AAA output in particular.

Whoever is not seeing the necessity of this, is quite short-sighted.

And with the help of launch day one on PC with their GaaS games, they are in the perfect pocket if they can just remain there and not get too crazy. I'd say invest "slightly" more into PSVR2 and get the PS Portal to play games through the cloud by 2026 (Only on the Premium tier) and Sony would be in a PERFECT situation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AA games don’t have to have bad visuals.

Kena is AA. Ori is AA. Ditto for Stray and Grounded. Control is an AA game, costing an estimated $15 - 20 million to make. The first Hellblade was an AA game.

People hear ‘AA’ and immediately assume it’s a 2D pixel art shooter

Your smartest post I've seen from you in GAF history. And I LOVE IT!!! I wish more people would understand that AA, AAA, etc isn't able the quality of the games. It's about the budget and scope. AA games are great and the industry needs to look into making more of them. Looking at you EA and Ubisoft!

I think GamePass and PS+ are largely to blame for the lack of growth.

There are a ton of games that I might have purchased but since my backlog is so large, I just think, you know what I'll get that if it ever ends up on PS+ or heavily discounted.

Not because I can't afford the games, but because why spend so much money to further build a back catalog of games.

I probably have 50-100 games in my library just sitting there.

As for why console sales have slowed down, I think you can name a lot of things. I don't think people are as excited to jump into a console for 500 dollars. There's no 1st party road maps, no e3s... for some reason the industry felt as though we didn't need big events to get the gaming community excited and talking about things, which is pretty wild.

Sony hasn't had a major showcase in years and is surprised that console growth has slowed? Square Enix could have had a juggernaut of a game by remaking FF7 faithfully. Capcom could remake Resident Evil 1 (yeah, no a full remake like RE2) and then you've had a slew of games like Cyberpunk release with major issues, when it could have been a juggernaut out of the gates. Last year had Hogwarts Legacy and Baldur's Gate 3, the previous year had Elden Ring.

This year looks like a complete dud. I don't think FF7 Rebirth a sequel to a game that not requires not technically but narratively everyone to play the first game. That's not a recipe for hitting larger numbers and they know it, that's why they don't have save game continuation. No one wants to play FF7 for 350 hours. Why they thought they needed to stretch this so much is beyond me.

Jesb

The industry needs another crash. Not sure how anyone thinks a videogame is worth $70. Over here that’s $90 for a new game. I’m not buying a single release at that price. Not sure why anyone else is. Videogames don’t need to cost 300 million or more to make. Go back to AA games and Indie games if you can’t make it affordable.

Top Bottom