• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect LE is outstanding, but there were some missed opportunities.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
First, this ISN'T about Mass Effect 3's ending and is devoted mainly to the first 2 games and those games missed opportunities. I'll share some non-ending thoughts on ME3 in due time.
Since there isn't an OT, I will start a new thread and it's based on this post, since I am finishing up Mass Effect 2, I feel that these concerns are worth mentioning.

This is modified from this post

So, I finished ME1 and immediately dived into ME2. Finished ME1 at Level 28 (Legendary) and it imported to ME2 as a Level 55 character.

My thoughts on ME1:
It was a lot of fun to replay and it still holds up in many ways. Playing it on my XSX with 1440p/120 Hz was one of the most pleasantly smooth gaming experiences I have had in a long time. Just buttery smooth. The graphical updates to the game IMO were PERFECT, they made the game look better without taking away the look of ME1. Great job. I loved the way experience was handled in that you could come very close to the level cap (although I've read that there isn't a level cap actually) in one playthrough and that anyone can use any weapon. Nice touch there. It was largely bug free, until the final fight with Saren, where I got constant crashing, which supposedly it is tied to using Biotic powers.

Complaints for ME1:
1. The was some glitching where you got stuck on things from time to time.
2. There was NO reason to keep those dumb and pointless button pressing minigames. I HATED those in the original and hated them now. Why am I pressing buttons to scan some damn minerals?!!
3. For ME1 I feel like they could have done a little bit more to fix the controls. Made them a little bit closer to ME2/ME3, where you assign one power to the left bumper and to the right bumper as well and also have made the Y button be an additional power instead of healing, where healing would have been moved to the weapon /power wheel. Also had the squads biotic powers similar to that as well on left and right d-pad. I am playing ME2 and it is amazing how much difference those two small changes make. It was really annoying playing ME1 and having to switch between powers. That's a change that I feel would have been doable. Adopting the snap into cover would have been nice as well, but that probably would have been more difficult to pull off.
4. The crashing during the Saren fight was awful. Supposedly the crashing is caused by using Biotic powers and apparently the way to stop crashing is to not use biotic powers. Thats what worked and fixing that should be a top priority.

Complaints/missed opportunities for ME2:

1. Allow all squadmates to be recruited from the get-go. This I know is possible as modders were able to do it. It doesn't change the game much, but it allows for unique dialogue in certain encounters (Tali has unique dialogue when recruiting Garrus) and the flexibility is nice.
2. Give more flexibility to forced missions instead of making them happen when they do. In fact I'd be OK with them making it so that you can have everything done, then do Horizon, collector ship, and Reaper IFF all in one go or allow them to happen much earlier and leave it up to the player. On the flip side, I'd advocate giving more time after the Reaper IFF so you can spend more time with Legion as a squadmate IF you still have missions to complete. To keep the best ending, I am forced to save the Reaper IFF for the very end leaving me only one non-essential mission with Legion.
3. Remove the level cap or bump it up enough to max out all powers. This is frustrating me to be stuck on Level 30 and not be able to use all of my powers to the max. At the VERY least, remove the requirement to invest in one power to unlock another. I have 2 skill points that I basically can't use. Allow all squadmates to use all their powers as well.

Some fixes that I believe could happen:
1. Totally revamp New Game+, create a build your own class, where you select your powers. At the very least, I'd love you to be able to start a New game where you keep all your weapons, armor, skill points, but be able to change class, and gender. I like to play Paragon male and Renegade female. Maybe this feature IS available and I just missed it. If I did please tell me how!

Your thoughts are welcome.

I'll speak more about this once I finish ME3. I still hate the ending and the writing for ME3, but I my solution is to just treat the ending as the 2nd to last mission, Use Control then go back and play the Citadel as my true ending.

Shut0wen

Currently playing through it now, ive finsihed the first game about 3 or 4 times on the og 360, the improvements imo are great especially since it wasnt possible to remake ot from the ground up, combat is very satisfying and the only complaint i have is the new improved mako, theres been about 5 times where its been stuck and even thrown from one end of the mal to the other, i never actually experienced these ever on the OG game, also they could of updated the radar especially when completing quests, good example of this is the 2nd mission with emily wong where you have to bug this place, it states in the journal shes in citidel tower while the map/radar states shes in at the turian embassy, theres alot more of these glitches especially at undiscovered worlds and other side quests, theres also afew audio issues with the game as well, like some convos just cut off before the noc says there last sentence, something like this was never on the original 360 version never played the playstation 3 version of mass effect so wonder if it was a problem on that version

rolandss

I’m tempted to get this on PS but feel like the nostalgia will wear off and I’ll just be playing an old feeling game with old feeling controls. Plus I’m not one to play story driven rpgs more than once. I feel like I’ve been there done that.

anyone else feel the same or is my hesitancy unwarranted?

Burger

Honestly, some of the stuff that got past QC are crazy. If you play in 5.1 on PS5/4 - all the dialogue and SFX are blasted out of the rear speakers at full volume. A problem that not only made it past QC, but has yet to be mentioned or fixed by EA.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Currently playing through it now, ive finsihed the first game about 3 or 4 times on the og 360, the improvements imo are great especially since it wasnt possible to remake ot from the ground up, combat is very satisfying and the only complaint i have is the new improved mako, theres been about 5 times where its been stuck and even thrown from one end of the mal to the other, i never actually experienced these ever on the OG game, also they could of updated the radar especially when completing quests, good example of this is the 2nd mission with emily wong where you have to bug this place, it states in the journal shes in citidel tower while the map/radar states shes in at the turian embassy, theres alot more of these glitches especially at undiscovered worlds and other side quests, theres also afew audio issues with the game as well, like some convos just cut off before the noc says there last sentence, something like this was never on the original 360 version never played the playstation 3 version of mass effect so wonder if it was a problem on that version
ME1 is definitely better in many ways and I had fun with it. I feel that they fixed it up without robbing players of much of the original experience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m tempted to get this on PS but feel like the nostalgia will wear off and I’ll just be playing an old feeling game with old feeling controls. Plus I’m not one to play story driven rpgs more than once. I feel like I’ve been there done that.

I am playing it on my XSX and playing it at 120 fps has been a revelation. Just wonderful.

Stuart360

Gold Member
I finished ME1 on Sunday and started ME2 right away. I'm still dumbfounded that you can't have your helmet off for dialogs.
Eh?. I finished ME1, and half way through ME2, and have no helmet in convo's. In fact i'm pretty sure there is anoption somewhere to have helmets off in conversations.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat 1 on insanity. Currently on 2. Collectors are TOUGH as a Vanguard. Thank god Miranda has Warp.

ME2's combat is much better & more refined than 1, as much as I like ragdolling enemies in 1. Of course ME1 does things infinitely times better than 2, namely the atmosphere, writing, & pacing. But 2 is so good.

ME1 has dated gameplay for sure but as far as story is concerned, these games are literally designed for multiple playthroughs. You'll pick up on new lore, make different choices, try a new build. Vangard plays nothing like Infiltrator which in turn plays nothing like Adept.

The pricetag is a missed opportunity for sure

It is worth every penny for the amount of content. I'm buying some more copies for friends.

That being said, if you're on PC and already own the games, I'd say just stick with those versions.

Stuart360

Gold Member
In ME1 there's the option for it, but not in ME2.
Just had to double check because your posts were making me think i was losing my mind lol.
Yep no helmet in ME2 in convo's. You have to go to where you can pick your armour, and then on the helmet option put it to no helmet.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The pricetag is a missed opportunity for sure
This is a bunch of crap. A lot of work went into this set (but not perfect) and this is literally the first time all games with all DLC has been available in one spot. $60 isn't remotely absurd. If you want them for cheap, then buy the originals and play them via BC and then buy all the DLC which will come close to costing (if not exceeding) what the legendary edition costs.

kyussman

I finished ME1 but haven't started ME2 yet.
After finishing ME1 my thoughts were it just felt old....old,old,old....I still enjoyed the story and characters but playing it was a fucking chore....and the side missions are still terrible,same couple of copy and pasted rooms,over and over again....they didn't touch them up at all.
Still looking forward to the other two games though.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
After finishing ME1 my thoughts were if just felt old....old,old,old....I still enjoyed the story and characters but playing it was a fucking chore....and the side missions are still terrible,same couple of copy and pasted rooms,over and over again....they didn't touch them up at all.

emilegc

After finishing ME1 my thoughts were if just felt old....old,old,old....I still enjoyed the story and characters but playing it was a fucking chore....and the side missions are still terrible,same couple of copy and pasted rooms,over and over again....they didn't touch them up at all.
Even with everything you said, I enjoyed it. Perhaps because I didn't finish it before. And the game is also relatively short. The gunplay on ME2 is a lot better for sure, but I still enjoyed ME1 for what it is.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
This is a bunch of crap. A lot of work went into this set (but not perfect) and this is literally the first time all games with all DLC has been available in one spot. $60 isn't remotely absurd. If you want them for cheap, then buy the originals and play them via BC and then buy all the DLC which will come close to costing (if not exceeding) what the legendary edition costs.

Shouldve been on GP day one.

Stuart360

Gold Member
The thing with ME1 is you can tell it was the first game, and had a much lower budget and probably workforce, compared to the sequels. IMO its still a very good game, with great characters and story, but still is very much 'the first game', if you get what i mean.
ME2 on the other hand (which i'm about 2 thirds through now) is a much longer game,(especially with the lengthy dlc's) much better looking, much better playing game, and has proper side quests. ME3 is the same again with even more fleshed out side quests.

Bioware really were on fire with this trilogy. The passion oozes out. I just hope ME4 comes close to ME2 and ME3.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
After finishing ME1 my thoughts were it just felt old....old,old,old....I still enjoyed the story and characters but playing it was a fucking chore....and the side missions are still terrible,same couple of copy and pasted rooms,over and over again....they didn't touch them up at all.
The second one is so much better, i was literally you before starting me2.

Anyone notice ME2 is often way too dark? I've messed around with HDR setting or even turning it off. I adjusted my TV brightness, etc. Nothing I do can seem to make certain areas very visible with how dark they are and the amount of crushed blacks.

Shame, as other times the game looks amazing for a PS360 remaster.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Trainers will fix that he he.
I don't really use those things.

You said that there is an option to remove the helmet during discussion but i can't find shit...

Also, where do i hire tali in the second one, i tried to convince her during the first mission with cerberus but the bitch had work to do...

Stuart360

Gold Member
Anyone notice ME2 is often way too dark? I've messed around with HDR setting or even turning it off. I adjusted my TV brightness, etc. Nothing I do can seem to make certain areas very visible with how dark they are and the amount of crushed blacks.

I dont have HDR, and i feel the game is slightly brighter compared to the 360 version overall. I certainly havent seen any areas yet that i thought were too dark.

Stuart360

Gold Member
I don't really use those things.

You said that there is an option to remove the helmet during discussion but i can't find shit...

Also, where do i hire tali in the second one, i tried to convince her during the first mission with cerberus but the bitch had work to do...
The Illusive Man will give you a set of people to recruit soon, Tali will be one of them.
As for the helmet, go to your cabin in the Normandy, then on the the thing on the wall where you can mess with your armour settings, use the helmet section and put it to no helmet.

Allandor

Even with everything you said, I enjoyed it. Perhaps because I didn't finish it before. And the game is also relatively short. The gunplay on ME2 is a lot better for sure, but I still enjoyed ME1 for what it is.
Still ME1 is my favorite of the series. Not to much action focused and very story driven. When restarting ME2 it just reminded me why I did not like ME2 that much. It was transformed in a pure action-shooter. Camera is a bit much to focused on specific parts of female bodies.

Well, I'm currently "rushing" through ME2 (well rushing means I take every mission I can but skip most dialogs ... I just still remember most of it). Didn't play ME3 for a while, but it was the better one (between ME2 & 3). The ending ... ok but it is the journey that's so great.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The Illusive Man will give you a set of people to recruit soon, Tali will be one of them.
As for the helmet, go to your cabin in the Normandy, then on the the thing on the wall where you can mess with your armour settings, use the helmet section and put it to no helmet.
I did this yesterday with no result, it was probably bugged...

About to finish ME1, 60 fps and full 4k is fucking amazing for me. I actually take my time in ME 1 and going to look for Tali pilgrimage quest.

emilegc

For ME2, instead of following the HDR calibration guide to set the black level until you can't see the N7 logo, I left it at the default setting, and it looked better, but still I feel it's crushing the blacks. Try increasing the slider a little bit more.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Oh god yes, I had to turn up everything. Normally, the "set the blacks until you can't see object" setting works, but in this game it doesn't. Even raising the blacks doesn't look right, but I am used to it.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Yep.

Maybe i'm gonna remove the helmet alltogether but i want that sweet 10% damage bonus...
Yeah you have to remove it on that helmet screen. You will find other stuff you can use though, like i'm wearing a side thing that has like a AR screen over my eye, and attaches to the side of my head, whihc gives me a stats boost. There are a lot of those kiind of things you can find and wear instead of a helmet, and it will show those in convo's instread of a helmet.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Shouldve been on GP day one.
Everything should be free for this one!
giphy.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah you have to remove it on that helmet screen. You will find other stuff you can use though, like i'm wearing a side thing that has like a AR screen over my eye, and attaches to the side of my head, whihc gives me a stats boost. There are a lot of those kiind of things you can find and wear instead of a helmet, and it will show those in convo's instread of a helmet.
Yeah i have a couple of less intrusive helmets, but shepy looks kinda of a dork with some of them :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The one i have now is super cool but i need my dose of shepy crazy eyes during discussions...

Stuart360

Gold Member
Yeah i have a couple of less intrusive helmets, but shepy looks kinda of a dork with some of them :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The one i have now is super cool but i need my dose of shepy crazy eyes during discussions...
Ha ha yeah some of the things do look derpy. That one i was on about looks quite cool though i think, and it has +10% for head shots.

Sub_Level

Still ME1 is my favorite of the series. Not to much action focused and very story driven. When restarting ME2 it just reminded me why I did not like ME2 that much. It was transformed in a pure action-shooter. Camera is a bit much to focused on specific parts of female bodies.

Well, I'm currently "rushing" through ME2 (well rushing means I take every mission I can but skip most dialogs ... I just still remember most of it). Didn't play ME3 for a while, but it was the better one (between ME2 & 3). The ending ... ok but it is the journey that's so great.

3 does have some surprisingly effective story moments. Geth vs Quarians. The genophage. Or even something as simple as Thane praying, a particularly poignant interaction.

Did you play any of 3's DLC? It is excellent & really elevates that story from the mixed bag it was at launch.

What is that storm stats i see in some of them? Is it a skill?

Its just your sprinting during combat.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
3 does have some surprisingly effective story moments. Geth vs Quarians. The genophage. Or even something as simple as Thane praying, a particularly poignant interaction.

Did you play any of 3's DLC? It is excellent & really elevates that story from the mixed bag it was at launch.

Oh...what an intuitive way to call my run prowess...

Allandor

I know. 3 is really story-rich and full of decisions. And yes I know & played all the DLCs.

Btw, in ME1 the "training" DLC is missing, or did I just not see it? It wasn't a great DLC (actually it was bad) but at this time I was thankfull for every bit of story with that ME atmosphere ^^

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The Geth vs the Quarisns plot line was one of the worst parts of ME3. It was beyond absurd that after all that had happened in ME2 that the geth and quarians were still going at it. The ending part of that section was well written, but that section of the game was a perfect example of weak writing beyond the ending. Don't even get me started on the Rachni subplot of ME3. That was the worst. So much wasted opportunities.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

I know. 3 is really story-rich and full of decisions. And yes I know & played all the DLCs.

Btw, in ME1 the "training" DLC is missing, or did I just not see it? It wasn't a great DLC (actually it was bad) but at this time I was thankfull for every bit of story with that ME atmosphere ^^

They did indeed take out pinnacle station because that DLC was actually outsourced. Bioware couldn't get the code back lul. Bring Down the Sky is still in.

I finished ME1 on Sunday and started ME2 right away. I'm still dumbfounded that you can't have your helmet off for dialogs.
This. It's the only reason I don't use the DLC armors. How has this option not been added? Why was this a thing in the first place? It was frustrating at release.. still frustrating now.

TheContact

I’m still on me1 but I’ve ran into a few bugs. One I had to save/reload to fix. The mako doesn’t control as good as I expected and I forgot how boring the scanning thing is. But I’m glad they didn’t change the gameplay too much. I feel like they could have re done the mini games since i believe they changed it from the Xbox 360 version to the pc release anyway. Overall though I’m having a great nostalgia trip and I think they mostly nailed how to do remasters

Top Bottom