• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpachii

Read in the paper we are now also part of the club yay

Netherlands that is.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
When they report 1 case we don't know how many that one person might have spread the virus to but it could be no one and islotating them might be enough.

It is the spikes I get alarmed about.

NorwayBot

Banned
CNN: Its Trump's fault!

Hey Norwegian here. Let me tell you, - Trumps briefing on the coronavirus the other day differs in no way in what our own version of the CDC is saying.

CALM THE FUCK DOWN! use common sense and of course hygiene, hygiene, hygiene!

This is a message that is also being repeated by our political leaders - common sense and hygiene.

Personally I would have been a bit more draconian, but then again i'm not running shit.

There is 2 points to be made, one,- they (the authorities) are afraid of a "run" on the system - to many people seeking treatment were non is needed, and two - common sense is not so fucking common.

PS: I live in what many people nowadays (on the left) think is paradise on earth -it's not, but that doesn't really matter. Conservative or Liberal, Right or Left - the people in charge are all reading from the same playbook,- the one handed to them by the WHO.

CNN can go play in traffic.

sinnergy

I've never seen such an overblown reaction to a virus before.

This shit literally delayed the PS5 and possibly the Tokyo Olympics
h5myec6.png
So you don’t start to think why it’s overblown? Let this sink in for a while , maybe it’s needed with this virus?

Come on man, if your worry is with wealth and a delay of a console you should get your priorities straight.

Last edited:
Fuck priorities, I wanted to see that Mark Cerny Extravaganza reveal event!
Tc2dX.gif

Still too expensive and after the global market crash no one will be able to afford it. Sony is going 3rd party all thanks to this virus. That will teach yall to downplay mother nature.

Last edited:

NorwayBot

Banned
You know what is also looks like? A new hole for a swimming pool or foundations for a building. It's a fucking hole, you've just added it looks like a mass grave ms blue check mark.

Shoot the messenger, kill the pianist - take your pick. Let's hope these people are just overly cautious with wearing protective gear when they're digging a hole for that new pool.

betrayal

Banned
flu killed like 30,000 people last year

why should i care about this?

At the end of the day, if you think only of yourself, then no one should really care if it's all about your own survival.
But that is not only what counts. If you dealt with COVID-19 in the same way as you dealt with the flu, you would actually get over a hundred million or maybe even a billion infections over the course of a year. Coupled with a death rate of let's say 1%, that would be at least 100,000 deaths or, depending on the number of infected people, quite a million in the course of the year. It should also be clear that the world is not going to end, but it is still a world event in this day and age, which will have far-reaching consequences for the economy and co.

sinnergy

Because of the higher death rate and no telling how many more people will get sick? It's pretty basic.
And what the lasting effects are, I heard you can have permanent lung damage. And with all the medicines they use in severe cases, HIV, Enola medicine you won’t know the effects if you live years later.

Tesseract

Banned
At the end of the day, if you think only of yourself, then no one should really care if it's all about your own survival.
But that is not only what counts. If you dealt with COVID-19 in the same way as you dealt with the flu, you would actually get over a hundred million or maybe even a billion infections over the course of a year. Coupled with a death rate of let's say 1%, that would be at least 100,000 deaths or, depending on the number of infected people, quite a million in the course of the year. It should also be clear that the world is not going to end, but it is still a world event in this day and age, which will have far-reaching consequences for the economy and co.

that kinda goes without saying

it'd be more like 10,000, once you do some factoring and account for the easing of epicenter lockdowns (already started in wuhan for example)

Because of the higher death rate and no telling how many more people will get sick? It's pretty basic.

eh, we'll see

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
that kinda goes without saying

it'd be more like 10,000 btw, once you do some factoring

The 100.000 was for 10 million infected. Statistically, without any tough countermeasures, the virus would spread to at least 70 million people within one or two months. As I said before, I think if you are healthy, nobody has to worry about his or her own health because of the virus. Ultimately, from a distance, the economic impact will be felt by some people more than anything else.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
The 100.000 was for 10 million infected. Statistically, without any tough countermeasures, the virus would spread to at least 70 million people within one or two months. As I said before, I think if you are healthy, nobody has to worry about your health because of the virus. Ultimately, from a distance, the economic impact will be felt by some people more than anything else.

only in a perfect environment do those numbers make sense, countermeasures or not

economy is already taking the beating, we'll see where it ends

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
only in a perfect environment do those numbers make sense, countermeasures or not

economy is already taking the beating, we'll see where it ends

Our globally connected world is a perfect envrionment for the virus. These figures are not mine either, but are the result of many studies and estimates that many governments regularly have made for many years if a pendemic occurs.

But apart from that, the global picture looks quite good. We still have to wait for the figures from Italy, but at the moment everything looks like that the numbers of newly infected people not only in China, but also in the rest of the world have not increased compared to the previous day and maybe even have decreased.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Looks like the virus is mostly spreading only in Northern hemisphere, where it's winter right now and temperatures are relatively low. There are some cases in countries with warm climate (travelers from virus hotspots) but it doesn't seem to spread at all. Like Indonesia and nearby countries. There were cases in India but nothing points to it spreading. Same in Australia.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Our globally connected world is a perfect place for the virus. These figures are not mine either, but are the result of many studies and estimates that many governments regularly have made.

But apart from that, the global picture looks quite good. We still have to wait for the figures from Italy, but at the moment everything looks like that the number of newly infected people not only in China but also in the rest of the world is decreasing compared to the previous day.

you just contradicted yourself but okay

betrayal

Banned
you just contradicted yourself but okay

I think we're missing the point here. Right now, of course, the virus does not have a perfect environment, quite the contrary. The theoretical examples referred to when the virus can spread virtually undetected or no containment measures are taken. Of course, this theoretical case for COVID-19 can and will never happen.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
I think we're missing the point here. Right now, of course, the virus does not have a perfect environment, quite the contrary. The theoretical examples referred to when the virus can spread virtually undetected or no containment measures are taken.

fair enough, i'd still debate those numbers tho

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
fair enough, i'd still debate those numbers tho

If I remember correctly, you are from Germany. Here is the link to the study commissioned by the German government in 2013 for a SARS-like pathogen (very similar to COVID-19), but with a CFR of 10%.

Within three years, 78 million people in Germany alone would be infected. You can imagine the rest. So my figures are really still very conservative.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
If I remember correctly, you are from Germany. Here is the link to the study commissioned by the German government in 2013 for a SARS-like pathogen (very similar to COVID-19), but with a CFR of 10%.

Within three years, 78 million people in Germany alone would be infected. You can imagine the rest. So my figures are really still very conservative.

i'm from florida

we can respectfully disagree, it's fine

thanks for the link re: unrelated patho, i'll take a look after i work out

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
i'm from florida

we can respectfully disagree, it's fine

thanks for the link re: unrelated patho, i'll take a look after i work out

R0 (average number of people who will catch a disease from one contagious person) of the pathogen in the study is 2.7 - 3.7, which is almost identical with COVID-19. CFR doesn't matter here.

Sure, but we're all going to die of something. And that day could be today...from any number of causes. I like to embrace the ethereal essence of life. We're just a fading whisper - everyone of us.

E-Cat

Sure, but we're all going to die of something. And that day could be today...from any number of causes. I like to embrace the ethereal essence of life. We're just a fading whisper - everyone of us.
Sure, if you don't care about dying, then you should not care about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom