• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Review Thread

Karak

Oh wow, didn't realize you were posting on GAF again. Welcome back :)
No worries I post all over the place when I can. Just been busy the last year or so but get everywhere when I can! Hopefully some stuff and work I have done will make getting around to discussions easier this year than last. Crossing my fingers
As for this game. You know its not some masterwork. But I have found myself returning ONCE again to make some teams and jump into it.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
Omg, the fight against Surtur on the rainbow bridge was fucking epic and made my morning.

Three not obvious things I learned:

XP cubes can instant level up your character. Under Team, choose a hero and then use xp cubes.

The other is in order to break the hologram boxes, find a character that has one of the attributes, hold down right trigger to see if another in your team has the other attribute, then activate the power.

Also during gameplay, watch the character icons in the bottom left corner for when you csn press A to do team combos.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Playing this with my 2 kids and we just beat elektra. A bit hard though because my 5 years old doesnt help much besides whining when his character dies and refuses to play any other ones so he just stands there while I try to take care of the boss :messenger_neutral:

pimentel1

Banned
Playing this with my 2 kids and we just beat elektra. A bit hard though because my 5 years old doesnt help much besides whining when his character dies and refuses to play any other ones so he just stands there while I try to take care of the boss :messenger_neutral:

Set it to Friendly mode. I made it 3/4ths of the way through the game just mashing buttons.

Just beat it. I hope this game comes out to other systems eventually because it is really fun.

Malakhov

Banned
Set it to Friendly mode. I made it 3/4ths of the way through the game just mashing buttons.

Just beat it. I hope this game comes out to other systems eventually because it is really fun.
What is friendly mode? If it is easy mode then im already on it. Problem is the kids use 2 toons that arent doing much at bosses ;)

Last edited:
Is anyone else hitting periodic difficulty spikes? I have to take a break almost every stage to level up my team. It seems like infinity trials are a requirement.

Malakhov

Banned
Is anyone else hitting periodic difficulty spikes? I have to take a break almost every stage to level up my team. It seems like infinity trials are a requirement.
Playing it on easy with kids so i cant say...ill try it on normal this weekend alone

quickwhips

Tempted to pick this up but havent finished the lego games with my son yet. So how difficult is this vs lego marvel super heroes for younger kids? Also does it get really dark storywise?

pimentel1

Banned
Tempted to pick this up but havent finished the lego games with my son yet. So how difficult is this vs lego marvel super heroes for younger kids? Also does it get really dark storywise?

Story is light. Action packed, nothing dark. Never played lego super hero games so I don’t know.

Elcid

Banned
I caved and bought this with 3 controllers so I could play with the family. My son loves being the Hulk, my daughter loves being any of the girls, and my wife likes Psylocke. It's a great game for the family!
quickwhips quickwhips It's actually easier than Lego Marvel just because it's all smashing, although there are a couple pieces of minor puzzles that can be tedious. If your kid can follow you on command then you should be fine.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Are the lego games multiplayer beat em ups as well? Can we play 3? That could be the next game for me and the kids

Ulysses 31

Man, they make you work to unlock Thanos. Had to use all my xp cubes to get my party to lvl 70 and then I only won with one char left standing. :messenger_dizzy:

I have no interest in this but these are the types of games Switch owners should be supporting. Not these shitty ports where they strip everything just to get it running and charge the same price as the good versions.

Clearly some devs treat the system like a handheld that can hook up to an extetnal display and others a home console that can also be taken on the go.

I really wonder how Nintendo is going to transition from this system without being held down by ARM. They cant exactly transition the switch to a handheld and release a console because people expect the power of a "console" in their hands and the games would need to support both. Ryzen on next gen consoles is a real problem for the Switch.

highrider

Banned
Just picked this up and played for a few hours, my first impressions are overwhelmingly good. At first glance it can look fairly bland graphically but in full battle mode it’s really impressive. Cool effects and animations with a nice overall art style and color palette in particular. The cutscenes and characters look great, I like the interpretation of the cell shaded blended with new school, it really feels like a Marvel game with Nintendo at the helm.

The bad, yeah the camera will let you down sometimes just like the old games but it’s not bad at all in single player, more co-op.
It’s not a sophisticated action game, it’s a simple beat-em-up so I wouldn’t look for serious action and complex move sets, but there is a satisfying gameplay loop, and it’s entertaining to play. I would say if the idea of the game appeals to you you’d probably have fun, there’s definitely value. A lot of characters and pretty deep rpgish stuff if your in to that. Thumbs up 👍

pimentel1

Banned
Just picked this up and played for a few hours, my first impressions are overwhelmingly good. At first glance it can look fairly bland graphically but in full battle mode it’s really impressive. Cool effects and animations with a nice overall art style and color palette in particular. The cutscenes and characters look great, I like the interpretation of the cell shaded blended with new school, it really feels like a Marvel game with Nintendo at the helm.

The bad, yeah the camera will let you down sometimes just like the old games but it’s not bad at all in single player, more co-op.
It’s not a sophisticated action game, it’s a simple beat-em-up so I wouldn’t look for serious action and complex move sets, but there is a satisfying gameplay loop, and it’s entertaining to play. I would say if the idea of the game appeals to you you’d probably have fun, there’s definitely value. A lot of characters and pretty deep rpgish stuff if your in to that. Thumbs up 👍

Pushing in the right joystick might help, not always, but it changes the camera angle.

highrider

Banned
Pushing in the right joystick might help, not always, but it changes the camera angle.

Ha yeah I’ve fought a little bit past Sandman and took a break. I’ll do that, I’ve been working on my guardians synergy attacks lol.

Also I wanted to pose the question, I hear this being compared to Diablo 3 and I have never played the Diablo games. Would something like that be fun as a single player game? Because I like the genre a lot.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
Ha yeah I’ve fought a little bit past Sandman and took a break. I’ll do that, I’ve been working on my guardians synergy attacks lol.

Also I wanted to pose the question, I hear this being compared to Diablo 3 and I have never played the Diablo games. Would something like that be fun as a single player game? Because I like the genre a lot.

Diablo 3 is a lot of fun with another player. I never tried it solo. I’m on my second run through MUA3. Trying to beat it on Mighty and level up three characters with my Ghost Rider from the first run.

Last edited:

Meted

Picked this up only a little while ago, played on normal and the bosses seem to have so much health (not hard to fight just tedious), does that change or should i just put it down to easy?

BioFan

Sorry for reviving this thread.
Just got a switch and looking to get games to play with my 3 year old. He love spiderman and I was looking at this game to get for his birthday next month.
Seems like this is quite a kid friendly game. I was afraid it may be too hard for him cos I know MUA2 was hard even for me.
If any of you can recommend me other games, that would be great too
Bought Kirby Fighters 2, overcooked and Moving out...He doesn't like overcooked though, it was a bit hard for him.
anyway thanks :)

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Just got a switch and looking to get games to play with my 3 year old. He love spiderman and I was looking at this game to get for his birthday next month.
Seems like this is quite a kid friendly game. I was afraid it may be too hard for him cos I know MUA2 was hard even for me.
Bought Kirby Fighters 2, overcooked and Moving out...He doesn't like overcooked though, it was a bit hard for him.
This would be too hard for him. Lego Marvel games would be a better choice for him at 3

Batiman

Banned
I wouldn’t recommend it for him personally. I played through it with my son and didn’t really enjoy it. He’s a lot older, but I don’t think your son would care for it too much. He might just be happy enough to play as superheroes and mash some enemies over and over though. Kids aren’t too picky with games unless they’re constantly prevented from moving forward.

Mario odyssey is something he’d probably love. He’ll probably need help with collecting moons but theirs the worlds are a good playground for him to mess around. He’ll be collecting simple moons and jumping on enemies and whatever. Before you know it he’s mastered 3D platformers lol. You’d be surprised how fast kids these days pick up skill with a controller.

OnionSnake

Banned
This game really was just not very good... compared to the previous 2 X-men games and 2 marvel ultimate alliance games.

and yeah definitely don’t get this for a 3 year old lol

poodaddy

This game really was just not very good... compared to the previous 2 X-men games and 2 marvel ultimate alliance games.

I didn't like how anime this one felt. The exaggerative animations, terrible voice acting, power of friendship trope and shit like that, just genuinely hated it. The gameplay wasn't too bad, but it somehow seemed more repetitive than the others.

I still think X Men Legends 2 is the best of the bunch honestly.

OnionSnake

Banned
I didn't like how anime this one felt. The exaggerative animations, terrible voice acting, power of friendship trope and shit like that, just genuinely hated it. The gameplay wasn't too bad, but it somehow seemed more repetitive than the others.

I still think X Men Legends 2 is the best of the bunch honestly.
I’m fine with all that and I really like the designs especially the X-men with the 90s cartoon designs but man the repetitive gameplay is super exaggerated in this one with how similar the characters are. Like there’s only what 3 or 4 actual types of characters, each character only has 4 moves and even the costumes initially are recolors. Shit just felt like a real shoddy game.

Yeah, I picked this game up a few months back and it just didn't click for me. Not terrible by any means. A big part of it is the framerate issues in handheld mode. It's right around 20-25 fps for the majority of time during combat and that just annoys the shit out of me.

OnionSnake

Banned
Yeah, I picked this game up a few months back and it just didn't click for me. Not terrible by any means. A big part of it is the framerate issues in handheld mode. It's right around 20-25 fps for the majority of time during combat and that just annoys the shit out of me.
Yeah the frame rate is BAD in this game especially with the larger big battles and all the team up attacks

Animagic

Banned
I love the character models and lighting on the suits in this game. Looks really cool.
FmCAtqx.jpg

8nua4hE.jpg

Last edited:

BioFan

I wouldn’t recommend it for him personally. I played through it with my son and didn’t really enjoy it. He’s a lot older, but I don’t think your son would care for it too much. He might just be happy enough to play as superheroes and mash some enemies over and over though. Kids aren’t too picky with games unless they’re constantly prevented from moving forward.

Mario odyssey is something he’d probably love. He’ll probably need help with collecting moons but theirs the worlds are a good playground for him to mess around. He’ll be collecting simple moons and jumping on enemies and whatever. Before you know it he’s mastered 3D platformers lol. You’d be surprised how fast kids these days pick up skill with a controller.
Sorry I just saw this but thanks guys.
Soon after posting this, I got captain toad for him instead and he loved it. He's getting the hang of solving puzzles, which I love about captain toad. There are a few levels that he can just beat by himself tho he's still afraid of the enemies and I have to go clear for him.
We just finished Captain Toad and that's when I realized I asked about MUA3 in neogaf. But like you guys said I think he will enjoy Super Mario 3D world/mario odyssey more than MUA3.
Thanks again

Top Bottom