• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordCBH

Incredibly pleased with all these options the Insomniac devs gave us here.

image.png

Quality + Uncapped FR + that 120hz baby!!

MirageMew2

Some of us have lives. That length to 100% is actually a bit awesome

30 hours is such a negligible amount of time to “some of us have lives” about. This isn’t an MMO. It’s a weekend blockbuster. And we’re talking about the maximum achievement in a game. 30 hours is a single playthrough, never mind side missions.

From the reviews it sounds like cut loading time is the core of its shorter length, so I’m not making a fuss, I’d just been looking forward to a similar length as SM and MM which took me roughly 50 and 40 to Plat respectively.

ProtoByte

So we've three possible GoTy contenders.

Baldur's Gate 3
Tears of Kingdom
Spider Man 2

My money is on Baldur's Gate 3.
Baldur's Gate is 1000% winning. Industry politics guarantee it.

Other nominations will be Tears of The Kingdom, Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, and one of Mario Wonder, Street Fighter 6 or Resident Evil 4.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
30 hours is such a negligible amount of time to “some of us have lives” about. This isn’t an MMO. It’s a weekend blockbuster. And we’re talking about the maximum achievement in a game. 30 hours is a single playthrough, never mind side missions.

From the reviews it sounds like cut loading time is the core of its shorter length, so I’m not making a fuss, I’d just been looking forward to a similar length as SM and MM which took me roughly 50 and 40 to Plat respectively.

You spent 40 hours on a single play through of MM? You are insane, that’s a sub 10 hour game.

Just wait for the game to drop in price if minutes per dollar is your main worry. Personally replay ability is much more important and I finished the original three times, and NEVER even attempted to “complete” the game because why would I give a shit about backpacks hidden on some buildings.

Varteras

Gold Member

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nominations:

Other nominations will be Tears of The Kingdom, Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, and one of Mario Wonder, Street Fighter 6 or Resident Evil 4.
I'll be very (and happily) surprised if Wake 2 is in that discussion.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nominations:

I think Mario Wonder is breaking the 90 mark easily as well.

Some crazy good games this year, not including Metroid Prime Remastered that’s currently sat on a 94OC score.

My only curiosity now is the story... seeing mixed things in some reviews.
I've always thought that the story part of Spider-Man was thing that would keep it in the mid-high 80's. We KNOW what Spider-Man is, we know all the stories. The Spider-Man story is a known quantity, so everything else about the game has to be able to elevate it. I've just always thought that it was too much of an ask... but this thing is currently at 91!

So I guess Insomniac were able to elevate the other things around it's story enough to get over the hump. IDK if I'm going to be picking this one up, but it does look very good and the reviews reflect that.

ProtoByte

I'll be very (and happily) surprised if Wake 2 is in that discussion.
After the previews, I've got little doubt. It's high quality, arthouse-like in its creative direction, somewhat innovative and new with its gameplay features, and the narrative around Remedy is quite sympathetic amongst journalists.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
After the previews, I've got little doubt. It's high quality, arthouse-like in its creative direction, somewhat innovative and new with its gameplay features, and the narrative around Remedy is quite sympathetic amongst journalists.
I'm with you on the excitement! Can't wait to play it!

Hugare

Hopefuly it will hold that 91. Insomniac deserves it

Not very excited for it. I know Spider-man is NY, but I feel like its too much like the first one. Also sidequests are still bad, it seems.

Will be a fun ride, but I'm pretty sure that BG 3 will still be my GOTY

Mr.Phoenix

Nominations:

If Starfield is even nominated.... well then the VGA would lose whatever little credibility it has.

But yh, BG3 is winning it, even if I feel it shouldn't win it.

ProtoByte

If Starfield is even nominated.... well then the VGA would lose whatever little credibility it has.

But yh, BG3 is winning it, even if I feel it shouldn't win it.
The game awards are just an outgrowth of how the games media views these games. Unfortunately, there's a level of politics to it, which is why it's still possible for Starfield to get a nomination. The scores don't line up with it, and there's plenty of games that are viewed better both critically and fan-wise, but the media might feel obligated to give Xbox this nomination; it's likely to be their last major chance for a while.

Tsaki

The barrier got cracked after all! 91 on MC after 119 reviews?! Congratulations to Insomniac!
Gonna check the Digital Foundry tech review now

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The only studio that got ray tracing right without destroying fps/resolution in current consoles hardware.
Well, you could say that for Miles and Spiderman Remastered which were mostly native 4k, but here the DRS drops down to 1440p. Thats literally half of native 4k they are targeting here.

Not that I am complaining. I have always wanted devs to stick with 1440p, but clearly the improved ray tracing here is causing some resolution drops.

Top Bottom