• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Contest of Champions |OT| It's always Mahvel when you're on Mobile

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I was messing around with this a while back, tried again today and linked to my Google account. But when I restarted I'd lost all of my progress and had to go through the tutorial and stuff again - I figure I'm shit out of luck? No big loss since I was less than an hour in... but I'd just gotten Scarlet Witch!

Pretty fun to mess around with overall, though. I might request to join the Alliance thing later, too... if I can figure out how.

Not sure how it works on Android, I'm assuming it uses Google to provide cloud save/multi-device support similar to how Game Center works on iOS.

If you want to apply to the alliance its under the new Alliance section, should be searchable. It's called NeoGAF with the GAF tag.

Drayco21

First in-game look at Rocket Raccoon.

11050270_1588872071359311_1691079884937540434_n.jpg

Stuck with his movie look, because of course we are. At least I don't have to worry about hearing "Blam, murdered you" since there's no recorded dialogue in this game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wonder who's moveset he'll use considering he doesn't really fit any of the 'sizes' of the existing roster.

Drayco21

I wonder who's moveset he'll use considering he doesn't really fit any of the 'sizes' of the existing roster.

I'd guess they're going to have to create a new "small character" moveset for him- maybe one they'll be able to readapt it to characters like Howard, Puck and maybe do something with it for Ant-Man. I could see him still using the Punisher/Winter Soldier level 1.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd guess they're going to have to create a new "small character" moveset for him- maybe one they'll be able to readapt it to characters like Howard, Puck and maybe do something with it for Ant-Man. I could see him still using the Punisher/Winter Soldier level 1.
Yeah, the melee/gun combo is a given. :p

On a similar note I really wish there were more stages.

On a different note altogether, I set the alliance to open to get member count. Will kick randoms as appropriate if it becomes full to accommodate GAFers and/or chat abuse happens.

Drayco21

Preview of Maestro's role in the game:

While the Maestro is causing trouble for the inhabitants of Battleworld in the comic pages, the character will also be revealed to be the puppet master behind events in the successful Marvel Contest of Champions mobile game. According to Bill Rosemann, creative director of Marvel Games, the villain's introduction started with a phone call.

"The game is based on a storyline by Sam Humphries [writer of Legendary Star-Lord and Uncanny X-Force for Marvel], and Sam gave me a call," Rosemann told THR. "We'd gotten to a point in the game where we would be revealing who the big bad was — we knew that [on-screen villain] the Collector was working with a mysterious benefactor, and the player had already seen Thanos, so we found ourselves wondering who would be the best reveal, who would be a character who could trump the Collector and go toe-to-toe and perhaps even defeat Thanos himself?"

The Maestro fit the bill, Rosemann said, not only because of his and Humphries' respect for David's work on the original Future Imperfect series, but the basic appeal of the character. "The way that Peter and George did such a fantastic job in thinking up the character and what he looks like means that, when you first look at him, you instantly get it. You see him, you see his weapons, and you know that this is the Hulk of the future and he is trouble."

The weapons alone might be enough of an indicator for those who have been playing Contest of Champions for a while — the game launched in December, and has been downloaded almost 20 million times, according to Rosemann. "We sent our friends at [game developer] Ka-Bam reference art from the first Future Imperfect, and copies of the comic book to read, so that they would get the Maestro correct," Rosemann said. "In the game visuals, you'll see that they gave him some armor, and it's armor that he hasn't been seen wearing before, and we made sure to add detailing that was authentic to the story, with weapons that come right from the trophy room in the original story — every time we show the Maestro, he has all these weapons that all come from a Marvel hero or villain that you can look at and puzzle where each of them come from. We love to have Easter eggs."

Both David and Rosemann spoke about the excitement of potential crossover between the game and comic audiences as a result of the Maestro's new prominence in both ("That's the goal," Rosemann said. "They're two things, each designed to be the best they can be, but if we can introduce each of our audiences to the others' story, that's an awesome thing"), but they were also quick to reassure that cross-promotion wasn't the reason for the character's appearance.

"The number one thing is always: Does it make a good story," Rosemann said. "What would be the coolest, most awesome reveal that would make the readers or players think, 'Holy crap?' While thinking about it, we realized that Secret Wars was coming up and would be harking back to some of Marvel's greatest alternate timelines and stories, but that was additive. The original intent is always story, story, story — and the wonderful character of the Maestro."

David said that it's "tremendously exciting" to be able to return to the character as a writer, but also to see him engage with the wider Marvel universe in the Contest of Champions game, pointing out that when you create a character in a shared universe, seeing them interact with other heroes and creators is something you hope for. Rosemann, meanwhile, pointed to the Maestro's plans in the new Future Imperfect comic book and the Contest of Champions game and said simply, "It's the time of the Maestro. And that time is now."

B_W-Hu5VEAAK1dd.jpg:large

Just stumbled onto this game last night. Had no idea or even existed before now, but it looks great from what I've played so far. Love the graphics and art style.
Saw Deadpool on the front page but damn, 25 bucks for his pack? Yikes.

For the moment, just been rolling with the starters; Spidey and Hawkeye. Got lucky tonight and rolled Colossus from one of the crystals!

I'm guessing best thing to stick to early on is the story? Cutting through that now.

Had a quick look to see if GAF had a crew on there but you're 30/30. I'll keep an eye out if there's ever any openings though!

Subbed to the thread, would love to know what the quickest way to getting new characters is too?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just stumbled onto this game last night. Had no idea or even existed before now, but it looks great from what I've played so far. Love the graphics and art style.
Saw Deadpool on the front page but damn, 25 bucks for his pack? Yikes.

For the moment, just been rolling with the starters; Spidey and Hawkeye. Got lucky tonight and rolled Colossus from one of the crystals!

I'm guessing best thing to stick to early on is the story? Cutting through that now.

Had a quick look to see if GAF had a crew on there but you're 30/30. I'll keep an eye out if there's ever any openings though!

Subbed to the thread, would love to know what the quickest way to getting new characters is too?
I'll kick some randoms in the alliance and put it to request only so you can put in a request to join.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks mate, just sent a request!

Accepted.

Yeah, alternating between the story and the arena "pvp" mode is what I usually do. You can replay already beaten story chapters to farm ISO-8 and to 100% explore all the branching paths (exploring everything nets additional bonus ISO-8/crystals).

One thing that wasn't immediately obvious for me when I started out was that heroes health and/or life if completely KO'd regenerate after a story chapter is beaten. I wasted some revive items early on due to thinking they were permanently KO'd.

As for getting characters, it's very random. It's the crystal lottery as they say. The 4-star premium crystals 90% of the time will award you with a 2-star hero.

Accepted.

Yeah, alternating between the story and the arena "pvp" mode is what I usually do. You can replay already beaten story chapters to farm ISO-8 and to 100% explore all the branching paths (exploring everything nets additional bonus ISO-8/crystals).

One thing that wasn't immediately obvious for me when I started out was that heroes health and/or life if completely KO'd regenerate after a story chapter is beaten. I wasted some revive items early on due to thinking they were permanently KO'd.

As for getting characters, it's very random. It's the crystal lottery as they say. The 4-star premium crystals 90% of the time will award you with a 2-star hero.

Much appreciated.

I haven't tried the PvP yet, mostly as I figured I'd get my arse handed to me with my noob characters haha! Will get into that once I've done the story though.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah the two four star chances I've had have ended up with two star characters, but that's okay.. They're all new for me at this stage haha..

Very cool though. Loving it so far and can definitely see me spending more time on it.

My roster as of this morning:
jz1iijc.jpg

Dalek

Tunesmith-help me think through this.

I have a 1 Star Juggernaut and a 2 Star Juggernaut.

What do I do?

I assume I level up the 1 star Juggernaut as far as I can, and then somehow I can use that to level up my 2 Star Juggernaut?

Is there any way to get Deadpool besides that pack in the store? I'm guessing some characters are locked behind a paywall yeah?

_Ryo_

For F2P, the model and game play is not bad and I enjoyed the time I spent with it (which wasn't long. Just until I beat Scarlet Witch) but as soon as I discovered that it wouldn't work offline, I removed it. It's a shame that everything else seems to work really well but they have to force you to be online for single player experiences. I do not support that.

Damn this thing is addictive as hell!

On Act 1, Chapter 2 now. Hulk was kicking my arse a bit in Quest 2, first couple of KOs I've had. Can feel the difficulty steadily ramping up now!

Will likely have to grind the last few quests soon, as my characters are teetering on the "recommended" limit already haha..

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For F2P, the model and game play is not bad and I enjoyed the time I spent with it (which wasn't long. Just until I beat Scarlet Witch) but as soon as I discovered that it wouldn't work offline, I removed it. It's a shame that everything else seems to work really well but they have to force you to be online for single player experiences. I do not support that.
It's online to combat piracy and hacks, I support that.

Drayco21

Tunesmith-help me think through this.

I have a 1 Star Juggernaut and a 2 Star Juggernaut.

What do I do?

I assume I level up the 1 star Juggernaut as far as I can, and then somehow I can use that to level up my 2 Star Juggernaut?

Your 1* Juggernaut is now useless, outside of 1v1 PVP battles for extra versus crystals.

Put all effort into the leveling of your 2* Juggernaut

Is there any way to get Deadpool besides that pack in the store? I'm guessing some characters are locked behind a paywall yeah?

Deadpool is the only one behind a paywall and can't be obtained from crystals or versus events right now. An X-Force Deadpool was datamined some time ago, so one of them is probably going to be added into the normal rotation at some point in the future.

Hit level 18 yesterday. Still really loving this thing. Ended up dropping the coin and getting the Deadpool pack so I'm focusing on upgrading him at the minute. Using DP, Juggs, IM and Abomination in my regular cycle at the moment.

Rolled Hulk last night for my daily crystal but only 1 star. Meh.

Hit level 18 yesterday. Still really loving this thing. Ended up dropping the coin and getting the Deadpool pack so I'm focusing on upgrading him at the minute. Using DP, Juggs, IM and Abomination in my regular cycle at the moment.
Nice!

I just beat act 1. I still need to 100% it.
j60YYsm.jpg

Nice!

j60YYsm.jpg
Wow!

I'm up to the last chapter in Act 1 now but haven't started on it yet as I need to do a bit more grinding to beef up my characters before moving on. I had trouble doing enough damage to IM in the last round of chapter 3 especially once he gets that regen.

Drayco21

Nice!

j60YYsm.jpg

The rewards for 100% an act are so good too; got a 3* Spider-Man and was drowning in ISO-8 when I finished it. It feels like Act 2 is where the grind gets real, and doesn't let go until you hit Thanos at the end of 3.

Unrelated, it bothers the hell out of me to see Magneto and Ronan being considered "villain" characters, almost as much as it bothers me seeing Deadpool classified in-game as a Mutant.

Finished Act I to 100% today and ended up with a 3-star Thor and 3-star Abomination, so pretty happy with that.

Looks like I'm still under most of the recommended team points requirements for the next act though, so I guess it's back to grinding Act I for ISO!

Dropped $40 on this today and had a go at that Strange/Ms.Marvel Crystal.

Ended up with 2* Rhino, 2* Colossus and 2* Abomination, all dupes. And a 2* Wolverine.. Which was new for me at least.

Yeesh...

mreddie

What's wrong with Captain Marvel, or Kamala as Ms. Marvel?

They like the leotard.

Played this for a cup of coffee, it's look, better than the Injustice Mobile game but I need some better heroes before I hop back in, got Spidey and Hawkguy in the start but I feel it wears out its welcome quickly.

Tips for getting Gold?

I seem to be able to accumulate ISO and Catalysts pretty well (especially doing the daily quests) now, but Gold seems really restrictive.

Some of the high level ISO I have now require 5000 odd Gold to use. And I have three or four of them in storage now.

Similarly, a few of my characters are sitting on their level up. I have the Catalysts required, but they all require between 11,500 and 23,001 Gold to upgrade respectively..

So I'm looking at like 100k of Gold requirement right now, and I'm making like 6-7k a day with Dailies and PvP..

Is there a better way or is the system literally just months of grind to use this stuff?

Any of you lot actually still active in this?

If you're still playing PvP, please ask for assistance so we can exchange some Alliance bonus!

Drayco21

The awful event leaderboards and low chances of getting the new characters lead me to stop playing it every single day like I was at first, but I still try to do my part- always request aid for the group, but never see anyone else's requests, probably a varying time of activity problem; most of my playtime and requests happen around 8-10 am EST, and I'd guess naturally expire a few hours afterwards if the heroes naturally recharge.

The awful event leaderboards and low chances of getting the new characters lead me to stop playing it every single day like I was at first, but I still try to do my part- always request aid for the group, but never see anyone else's requests, probably a varying time of activity problem; most of my playtime and requests happen around 8-10 am EST, and I'd guess naturally expire a few hours afterwards if the heroes naturally recharge.

Yeah, bummer..
Figure there's probably no Aussies in here anyway.

8-10am EST is about 10pm-midnight here, and I most often play during that time so it's odd I haven't seen your requests.

Not the biggest fan of F2P or mobile but this is a surprisingly fun game. I kinda wish it was on PS4 due to me not liking to play on Xperia Z due to battery concerns. I do wish there were less load times though. I spend more time loading and in menus than playing the game.

Best wishes.

Glix

Just downloaded this last night.

I am very surprised how sweet it is. I'm really enjoying myself and it looks and plays great.

How intense are the f2p hooks? Am I going to end up spending $$?

Playing on IPHONE 6. Anyone try it on a 1st gen IPAD MINI? How does it run?

Is there a 2nd GAF alliance? Or can we kick an inactive player to let me in? It seems full. 30/30

v1lla21

I am very surprised how sweet it is. I'm really enjoying myself and it looks and plays great.

Is there a 2nd GAF alliance? Or can we kick an inactive player to let me in? It seems full. 30/30
You probably won't spend money. I've apent less than 10 bucks and I've had it since it came out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Kicked a few inactive, send in a request and it'll be accepted.

Glix

Kicked a few inactive, send in a request and it'll be accepted.

Awesome, request sent!

I joined a different one earlier (I just left them tho) and got a 3 star Drax with the crystal I got! He's owning EVERYTHING.

Question - Is the VS mode realtime, or am i just battling an AI controlled character from someones character list?

Ultron patch has been pretty good fun. Ultron looks awesome in this game!

Still plugging away at Dailies and PvP stuff, but definitely can't advance in the Story now with my team.

I joined a different one earlier (I just left them tho) and got a 3 star Drax with the crystal I got! He's owning EVERYTHING.

Lucky!

Still only have 4 of the 3 Star heroes, and I still don't have Drax after all my time playing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Question - Is the VS mode realtime, or am i just battling an AI controlled character from someones character list?
AI from someone's list.

I'm assuming the new Duelling mode is the same, but I haven't tried it so I could be wrong.

Glix

I'm really enjoying the gameplay loop so far. And the game is gorgeous.

So I assume I should be asking for help as much as possible? As it allows you guys to earn tokens for the alliance crystals?

EDIT - HELL YEAH just got a 2* Punisher from a regular old PvP crystal!

Drayco21

Plowed through the Ultron story stuff available so far; had a really good time with it, though it's kinda weird that Ultron shows up as an ambush fight before a boss battle with one of the standard drones. I hope we see more single player, story driven updates in the future. Really liking all the little minor enhancements and updates since the patch too.

Also, went ahead and did a pretty thorough update on the OT; figured if Ultron was infecting the game he should have infected the op too, plus it was past time I go ahead and create a roster image for the thread since it seems Kabam isn't going to update the website's official roster.

Glix

Plowed through the Ultron story stuff available so far; had a really good time with it, though it's kinda weird that Ultron shows up as an ambush fight before a boss battle with one of the standard drones. I hope we see more single player, story driven updates in the future. Really liking all the little minor enhancements and updates since the patch too.

Also, went ahead and did a pretty thorough update on the OT; figured if Ultron was infecting the game he should have infected the op too, plus it was past time I go ahead and create a roster image for the thread since it seems Kabam isn't going to update the website's official roster.

Awesome work dude, thanks!

Anyone know what is up with the Mastery points? I know its not implemented yet but do we know how they are going to function.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nice OP update!

Also wow, had 16 Alliance help requests pending, the most I've ever seen before at once is 1. Appears you can request help for versus games now as well.

By the way, this image is the old class advantage cycle, it was changed back in v1.1:

ZgkhYTK.png

This is the proper cycle:

9hBPMwR.jpg

(disregard the x1, x2 etc. screencapped from a quest)

Drayco21

Nice OP update!

Also wow, had 16 Alliance help requests pending, the most I've ever seen before at once is 1. Appears you can request help for versus games now as well.

By the way, this image is the old class advantage cycle, it was changed back in v1.1:

This is the proper cycle:

(disregard the x1, x2 etc. screencapped from a quest)

Whoops, thought I had fixed that way back when it was first updated; taken care of.

That reminds me, I still actually liked the old class advantage cycle more.

Top Bottom