• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny Will Become The First Foreigner To Win A CEDEC Special Award

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The CEDEC Awards are hosted every year since 2008 to celebrate remarkable achievements within game development and computer entertainment technology in Japan, and for the first time, their Special Award given every year to a distinguished developer is going to someone not from Japan, Mark Cerny.

Profile:

Lead system architect for the recent PlayStation platform, including the latest PlayStation®5, which launched in 2020 on the largest scale in Sony Interactive Entertainment's history.
With a career of nearly 40 years in the video game industry, he has been a game designer, programmer, producer and director for 37 console and arcade game productions. His works include "Crash Bandicoot", "Jak and Daxter", "Ratchet & Clank", "RESISTANCE - Fall of Man ", "KNACK". Includes exclusive titles that have been highly acclaimed on successive PlayStations, including Marvel's Spider-Man, DEATH STRANDING, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Ratchet & Clank Parallel Trouble.
In 1998, he established his own consulting company, Cerny Games.
In 2004, he received the International Game Developers Association's Lifetime Achievement Award and is known as a "master of collaboration" and "everything shop."
In 2010, he was inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' 13th Hall of Fame.

Mark Cerny now joins an exclusive club of members of the game industry who have had an absolute groundbreaking effect on it. His name will now be listed among other industry legends like Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto, Masahiro Sakurai and Hironobu Sakaguchi to name a few.

As far as to why the CEDEC has chosen to celebrate Cerny and his career, they had some very nice things to say about his 40 years in the industry.

“He has been deeply involved in the design and development of PlayStation, providing a platform that enables a wonderful game experience, and has participated in the production of many hit works that represent PlayStation such as Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Crank. By always leading the “play” regardless of hardware or software, we support the development of the game industry and continue to lead the industry.”

3763947-oyudmpd.gif

Last edited:

Orion2

Banned
with the exception of pushing the worst possible way to render a game known as checkerboard rendering, he's a genius so shoutout to him, made two amazing systems ps4 and ps5, beasts of consoles, ps4pro was an L but nothing everything can be a hit, he hit where it mattered ps4/5

Banned
Well he also helped design a new paradigm for Sony after the PS3. I believe ease of development was one of his greatest achievements in my opinion.

Also while loud the PS4 Pro wasn't that trashy of a system. Sure it was weaker than the X1X but for the price it was a capable system.

It is ugly, gigantic, loud and it was basically as powerful as a 2012 PC... in late 2016 (quite literally, AMD released a 4.1TF card in mid 2012, a year before the base PS4 released). and the worst to me is, it is a 1440p machine, with even first party AAA titles going for that resolution, but the system doesn't even support 1440p... this annoys me especially recently, now that I have it set up on my 1440p PC screen because it was of course replaced recently with the PS5 on the big TV

Last edited:
It is ugly, gigantic, loud and it was basically as powerful as a 2012 PC... in late 2016 (quite literally, AMD released a 4.1TF card in mid 2012, a year before the base PS4 released). and the worst to me is, it is a 1440p machine, with even first party AAA titles going for that resolution, but the system doesn't even support 1440p... this annoys me especially recently, now that I have it set up on my 1440p PC screen because it was of course replaced recently with the PS5 on the big TV

I dunno I remember playing games pretty well on mine. Never really had an issue with it besides the loud fan. Definitely wasn't a piece of trash.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

well he also made this piece of trash here:
PS4-Pro-cuh-7200-malaysia.png

so he had his ups and downs

He ruins Playstation and gets a prize?

Last good Playstation was PS3, btw.

xjCLNsz.jpg

Banned
I dunno I remember playing games pretty well on mine. Never really had an issue with it besides the loud fan. Definitely wasn't a piece of trash.

they took the PS4's GPU layout and just mirrored it... that is rudimentary as fuck. they did that because it was the easiest way to ensure compatibility, but that also basically limited their performance right there and then, as you only have the single choice of going from 18CUs to 36CUs.

that's why they even had to come up with workarounds to make it even remotely 4K compatible. because in reality, that spec was way better at doing 1080p but... well better
and that also is part of the reason it is so fucking big and loud.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
they took the PS4's GPU layout and just mirrored it... that is rudimentary as fuck. they did that because it was the easiest way to ensure compatibility, but that also basically limited their performance right there and then, as you only have the single choice of going from 18CUs to 36CUs.

that's why they even had to come up with workarounds to make it even remotely 4K compatible. because in reality, that spec was way better at doing 1080p but... well better
When you think about it they pretty much taped two ps4s together wtf

Well their goal was to launch the system in that time period at 399$. Don't know how they could have achieved more with that. I guess if they delayed it a year and charged 100$ more they could have came out with a much more powerful system. But the main issue will always be those jaguar cores. Just updating the CPU could have doubled the framerate.

Still the console did play games pretty well and it maintained the ease of development of the PS4. That's at least something very positive about it.

20cent

Banned
I think his role is overestimated, like saying J. Ive designed the iPhone.

But good job to him for making his way to this position.

Last edited:
He sacrificed Japan Studio at the altar of Knack.

But other than that, he's obviously deserving. Whenever you read about the guy's life, he's obviously a genius.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Those two clearly need attention a woman or man (probably a man) aren’t giving them. Celebrate the GOAT and don’t derail. Make a Phil Spencer thread somebody

Top Bottom