• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man gets $1M after 13 years being clear of rape - actual rapist gets 5 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

CNN Story Link

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- The city has agreed to pay more than $1 million to a man cleared of rape after serving 13 years in prison and allow an independent review of its police laboratory, officials said Tuesday.

Michael Green, 38, was released in 2001 after DNA tests on a rag used by the rapist to wipe himself proved he was innocent. Another man later confessed to the attack and is serving a five-year sentence.

WTF!

Pattergen

For $1.6 million I'd go to jail for maybe... 2 or 3 years. This guy got ripped off. 123k a year for being wrongly accused of a horrible crime? Lame.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The truly fucked up part is that he served 13 years as an innocent man and the guilty one will only serve 5.

Shinobi

Archaix said:
The truly fucked up part is that he served 13 years as an innocent man and the guilty one will only serve 5.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
As it continues...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh hell, reading again he didn't just lose 13 years, he lost 13 years starting at age 25. He didn't even lose the shitty years at the end of life, he lost the good ones! Those are worth much more than 1.6 million.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
He should think himself lucky. Come to the UK, land of charging you for board and food you had in prison if you were wrongly convicted.

Seriously.

OmniGamer

Mama Smurf said:
He should think himself lucky. Come to the UK, land of charging you for board and food you had in prison if you were wrongly convicted.

Seriously.

That is F'ed in the A beyond words.

tenchir

I watched Law and Order enough to understand why an innocent man served 13 years while the guilty one is serving 5.

DSN2K

tenchir said:
I watched Law and Order enough to understand why an innocent man served 13 years while the guilty one is serving 5.

why does the bad guy always have good lawyers :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The innocent guy (obviously) knew he was innocent. That and having some faith in the system probably made him fight the charges to the bitter end.
The guilty guy probably plea bargained.

The one traffic ticket I had, I could have just gone to traffic school for and kept off my record. But, I knew I was innocent, (not least of which because the cop laughingly admitted it) fought it, and now it IS on my record. (until this fall)

tenchir

TAJ said:
The innocent guy (obviously) knew he was innocent. That and having some faith in the system probably made him fight the charges to the bitter end.
The guilty guy probably plea bargained.

The one traffic ticket I had, I could have just gone to traffic school for and kept off my record. But, I knew I was innocent, (not least of which because the cop laughingly admitted it) fought it, and now it IS on my record. (until this fall)

Bingo, what he said.

tenchir

DSN2K said:
why does the bad guy always have good lawyers :(

It's not that bad guys have good lawyers, it's that the current laws makes it easier to defend a person than prosecuting him.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
While it is tragic, most people work their entire lives and will never see that much money. I'm not saying it makes up for those lost years, but hell, if he uses it wisely he can live the rest of his life in relative ease.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Hound said:
While it is tragic, most people work their entire lives and will never see that much money. I'm not saying it makes up for those lost years, but hell, if he uses it wisely he can live the rest of his life in relative ease.

Most people also never see the inside of a prison for 13 years in the prime of their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom