• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MADiSON Unleashes First-Person Horror on PS5, PS4 this Summer

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Madison-1.jpeg

BLOODIOUS GAMES has announced that spine-chilling psychological horror romp MADiSON will launch on June 24, 2022 for PS5, PS4, PC, Xbox Series X/S, and Xbox One. The Nintendo Switch version will follow at a later date.

In addition, Perp Games will be publishing a physical Possessed Edition for PS5 & PS4, which features bonus content to download.

MADiSON takes place from a first-person perspective and sees players following Luca, who wakes up in a darkened room with his hands drenched in claret. Turns out, our protagonist has been forced by a vicious demon — the titular MADiSON — to continue a grisly ritual started decades ago, executing bloody acts in the process.

Along the way, you’ll develop photos taken to help unearth the truth behind the ritual, tackling randomly generated events and challenging puzzles, meaning you’ll have more reason to keep coming back for more

Last edited:

Yellerstone

Banned
So I need to conform to what you deem acceptable gameplay or else you'll cry on the internet about me?

I think you need to grow up a bit.
Lol what? Is this really your defense to coming in the thread to make whiny assumptions about what this game might be, and then assert if it is that then gaming is not the platform this should be on?

I hope you're a teenager. I will give you a pass for this behavior if so.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Write a book then, duh.

lol I'M SAYING!

Look...I get that some developers want to express certain ideas within games, but as an artist, the rule of thumb in a medium, is to use what it does best. You are PLAYING a fucking game, if the idea can be expressed thru word...shit, write a fucking book. Its no different then when a film continues to use narration, it should be used to guide the viewer, to give a short summary of something, not damn near tell the whole story, as why the fuck are we here? Thus, from what I learned from my professor when I took those film classes years ago (show me, don't tell me..THIS IS NOT A BOOK), it means what ever the main concept of that medium is, it needs to be used to express those ideas.

I'm not even fucking saying have no story, but that shit can't carry the whole GAME, you need to still play something, no different then the film is to show something, no different then the book is to express something thru word. I'd even rather have the whole fucking game not even tell a story, simply show whats happening narratively thru the items in the world.

Example. Wife has a black eye when you look in the mirror, show a burnt roast. Character doesn't allow one hand to move from an injury...she felt.....twice. Many things can be expressed thru gaming, but if they just want to tell a story, they just need to make a fucking book and be done with it. Nothing against those first person horror titles, but many abuse that medium more then uplift it and try to do really creative things with it.

Korso

lol I'M SAYING!

Look...I get that some developers want to express certain ideas within games, but as an artist, the rule of thumb in a medium, is to use what it does best. You are PLAYING a fucking game, if the idea can be expressed thru word...shit, write a fucking book. Its no different then when a film continues to use narration, it should be used to guide the viewer, to give a short summary of something, not damn near tell the whole story, as why the fuck are we here? Thus, from what I learned from my professor when I took those film classes years ago (show me, don't tell me..THIS IS NOT A BOOK), it means what ever the main concept of that medium is, it needs to be used to express those ideas.

I'm not even fucking saying have no story, but that shit can't carry the whole GAME, you need to still play something, no different then the film is to show something, no different then the book is to express something thru word. I'd even rather have the whole fucking game not even tell a story, simply show whats happening narratively thru the items in the world.

Example. Wife has a black eye when you look in the mirror, show a burnt roast. Character doesn't allow one hand to move from an injury...she felt.....twice. Many things can be expressed thru gaming, but if they just want to tell a story, they just need to make a fucking book and be done with it. Nothing against those first person horror titles, but many abuse that medium more then uplift it and try to do really creative things with it.
I don't think they meant for YOU to write one...

Yellerstone

Banned
lol I'M SAYING!

lmfao @ writing paragraphs about what sort of box you think an artist has to put themself in as "a rule of thumb"

EDMIX

lmfao @ writing paragraphs about what sort of box you think an artist has to put themself in as "a rule of thumb"

Well its a fucking site about discussing stuff, so...I'd argue writing something makes sense on this site lol

So an artist doesn't have to do any of that shit, simply that it makes sense to focus a game on actually elements that can fit the narrative within that medium. Like in Metal Gear Solid 1 where Psycho Mantis would tell you the games on your memory card or taking out the controller port so he couldn't read your movements. It uses the hardware to support the narrative of whats going on.

Nothing wrong with a story in a game, shit I love stories in games myself man, but if its starts to lean sooooooooo much on the story to the point of it even being a game being an afterthought, like those walking sims, yea....maybe it should be a book.

SLB1904

Banned
Lol what? Is this really your defense to coming in the thread to make whiny assumptions about what this game might be, and then assert if it is that then gaming is not the platform this should be on?

I hope you're a teenager. I will give you a pass for this behavior if so.
He's harmless, most of the time people just ignore his takes. I think it's parody at this point

EDMIX

He's harmless, most of the time people just ignore his takes. I think it's parody at this point

Though slime always has some "lols" for jokes, I'd say they are making a valid point regarding some of the walking sims we've seen where its more to tell a story then to actually do anything unique with gameplay or within the medium. Some times I feel like its better to just watch those games if they will be so limited in the first place.

Though they might be trolling sometimes, I believe they still have a point and I want to see how much of this is actually a real game, like you actually really do stuff vs just walk around.

Great games like Until Dawn come to mind that are deeply narrative focused, but you still play something, you interact with the story and it was a unique way of having a narrative you could somewhat control. Same with the Walking Dead games. You can have a narrative focused game, lots of them are great, but some imho take that shit a bit too far and come across like they are looking for some cash grab or to take advantage of the industry not and not really offer much other then some tech demo with narration.

Though Slim didn't say all that, I see a point that can be made about it regardless lol

Yellerstone

Banned
Well its a fucking site about discussing stuff, so...I'd argue writing something makes sense on this site lol

So an artist doesn't have to do any of that shit, simply that it makes sense to focus a game on actually elements that can fit the narrative within that medium. Like in Metal Gear Solid 1 where Psycho Mantis would tell you the games on your memory card or taking out the controller port so he couldn't read your movements. It uses the hardware to support the narrative of whats going on.

Nothing wrong with a story in a game, shit I love stories in games myself man, but if its starts to lean sooooooooo much on the story to the point of it even being a game being an afterthought, like those walking sims, yea....maybe it should be a book.
Idk you have to be pretty full of yourself to be a random internet user making judgments on what an artist has to do as a "rule of thumb". You could always just say something isnt for you and leave it be instead of giving us a novel about what you deem an artist can and cant do?

EDMIX

Idk you have to be pretty full of yourself to be a random internet user making judgments on what an artist has to do as a "rule of thumb". You could always just say something isnt for you and leave it be instead of giving us a novel about what you deem an artist can and cant do?

an artist doesn't have to do any of that shit

Never said anything about what a artist can or can't do. Stay on topic bud. Not even sure why you are getting so emotional over that, even made it clear that wasn't the point of my post yet you still are forcing some strawman argument.

So...thats just my opinion, as in what I believe (as was stated before, not even sure you are reading any of this to discuss vs just get mad or something lol)

I'm not making any bill or law that said this must be done or they'll be killed or something and no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to do this btw. Relax and stop forcing that.

Yellerstone

Banned
Never said anything about what a artist can or can't do. Stay on topic bud. Not even sure why you are getting so emotional over that, even made it clear that wasn't the point of my post yet you still are forcing some strawman argument.

So...thats just my opinion, as in what I believe (as was stated before, not even sure you are reading any of this to discuss vs just get mad or something lol)

I'm not making any bill or law that said this must be done or they'll be killed or something and no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to do this btw. Relax and stop forcing that.
Correct, I am not reading most of it. I have no interest in giving someone like yourself who is quick to pass judgments and then write a novel about it much time or thought. You can share your opinions on "rules of thumb" for gaming artists and developers, and I can share my opinion about how you look like a clown posting this shit instead of accepting something isn't for you and moving on w your day. Have a good one.

Hugare

lol I'M SAYING!

If something changes on screen after you press a button, than its a videogame. Period.

Even visual novels are videogames, and for that, can be much more impactful than if they were books. They are entirely carried by the story, not gameplay.

You experience movies in a passive way, so what your teacher told you makes sense for movies. But videogames are a different beast.

Look at freaking Stanley Parable. The game has a narrator 100% of the time, you use like 2 buttons, but its a damn good game that could have never been a movie or a book.

So get off your high horse.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Though slime always has some "lols" for jokes, I'd say they are making a valid point regarding some of the walking sims we've seen where its more to tell a story then to actually do anything unique with gameplay or within the medium. Some times I feel like its better to just watch those games if they will be so limited in the first place.

Though they might be trolling sometimes, I believe they still have a point and I want to see how much of this is actually a real game, like you actually really do stuff vs just walk around.

Great games like Until Dawn come to mind that are deeply narrative focused, but you still play something, you interact with the story and it was a unique way of having a narrative you could somewhat control. Same with the Walking Dead games. You can have a narrative focused game, lots of them are great, but some imho take that shit a bit too far and come across like they are looking for some cash grab or to take advantage of the industry not and not really offer much other then some tech demo with narration.

Though Slim didn't say all that, I see a point that can be made about it regardless lol
I'm just saying to not get triggered by him. He does that on purpose. Not that I care about this game either

Yellerstone

Banned
And this is my issue with those "games".

A lot of failed artists from other areas come to the video game industry and bring all of their pretentiousness with them.
They speak words of "innovation", or that they want to make games more "mature like movies" and yada yada.

And at the end of the day, their ego and pretentiouness blinds them to the point of failing to udnerstand the medium and making use of it in the most appropriate way.
It's like in movies that they have the rule "show don't tell".

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are good examples of what developers striving to tell a great story through games should do.
They are games first and foremost, and even if you're not of fan of the story, you can still have a great time with the game.

They respect the medium and acknowledge its strenghts and weaknesses before even attempting to use it to tell a story.
No, that's an interactive experience.

Games are interactive experiences, but not all interactive experiences are games.

Interacting with a web browser is an interactive experience, but it's not a game, for example.
An interactive story with multiple endings (with no ending being "right" or "wrong", based purely on reader opinions) is an interactive experience, not a game.
A visual novel that has a "right" path and a "wrong" path can be considered a game (albeit a boring one)
Its Spring time now. Don't you teenagers have any friends to play outside with instead of ranting on a forum about what you deem is worthy of being called a videogame?

Hugare

An interactive story with multiple endings (with no ending being "right" or "wrong", based purely on reader opinions) is an interactive experience, not a game.
A visual novel that has a "right" path and a "wrong" path can be considered a game (albeit a boring one)
Your explanation makes no fucking sense

So a visual novel with multiple endings is not a game, but one with a linear path is? Read it again and look how dumb this sounds

Lets just agree to disagree

I for one, am happy that there is a huge diversity of "games" out there, even when some aren my thing (I hate visual novels)

I guess I'm too old to care gatekeeping what is a game or not, like Scorsese with the "Marvel is not cinema" thing.

Correct, I am not reading most of it. I have no interest in giving someone like yourself who is quick to pass judgments and then write a novel about it much time or thought. You can share your opinions on "rules of thumb" for gaming artists and developers, and I can share my opinion about how you look like a clown posting this shit instead of accepting something isn't for you and moving on w your day. Have a good one.
Much like most of these books he wants written, no one's going to be taking the time to read his comments.

EDMIX

If something changes on screen after you press a button, than its a videogame. Period.

Even visual novels are videogames, and for that, can be much mo

Not the point I'm making, what I'm saying is if the "game" is literally the fucking bare minimum as in you JUST move a few buttons and the rest of it is a story, its not using the medium to its fullest and questions why it was used in the first place if its barely using those features in the first place. It would be like making a "film" and its just a black screen and someone is just reading from something to tell the whole story, its not saying "if something plays on da screen, its a film. pErIoDz" , its questioning WHY it was chosen as a medium if it wasn't even going to be used for the strengths of that medium sir...

You can call it what ever the fuck you want btw.

The point is simply that we've seen many titles come out that barely function as actual games and just walking and telling something as oppose to any interactions.

Look at freaking Stanley Parable.

lol annnnnd look at the fucking examples given already....

Great games like Until Dawn

Same with the Walking Dead games

The fuck? Did you even read the fucking post? I never stated anything about hating narrative titles, something like Stanley Parable is a great example as clearly something is being done to interact with it and indeed it could never work as a film or something, thats my fucking point, did you really not read the post to get that? You instead got triggered and started to assume a bunch of shit lol

You didn't think it was odd I used several games that has limited controls and gave actual fucking examples on why such a way made sense vs what we see from those other walking sim type "games"? lol

But playing a story is a thing movies and books cant do bro
Without story some of the goats wouldnt be as….goatish. Zelda OOT/Majoras Mask. MGS. Half Life 2. Uncharted 2. Final Fantasy 6/7/9. Dark Souls etc

Thats not what Slim is saying btw. Those games do a great job with story as the elements of the game support the narrative, so playing THOSE games give a story a movie or book can't do, Slim is not fucking saying that about all games sir, this is about those walking sims that barely offer anything to the medium, little interaction and would be better off as a film or show or book or something.

Yellerstone

Banned
You’re part of the problem.

The first-person horror market is totally over saturated, largely due in part to these walking sims, and people eating them up even though there’s next to zero gameplay in these games.
You could always stop crying, let people enjoy what they enjoy, and move on

Yellerstone

Banned
Yes because we’ve had so many horror games akin to FEAR, Condemned, etc. in the past 10 years. Oh wait, no we haven’t.
You crying on a forum isn't going to make the world change to make more games that are akin to your tastes. Imo you should try to accept the fact not everyone is going to think like you or like what you like. Or you could keep crying about it on the internet, your choice.

kiphalfton

You crying on a forum isn't going to make the world change to make more games that are akin to your tastes. Imo you should try to accept the fact not everyone is going to think like you or like what you like. Or you could keep crying about it on the internet, your choice.

Acting like wanting more atmospheric FPS games is an unreasonable request… Okay🙄

Top Bottom