• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac <-> Windows networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got this little network set up in my apartment with my two flat mates (who both run Windows). I, however, run Mac OSX. I have it set up so they have shared document folders we can all access over the network. Since I am unfamiliar with OSX, I don't know how to make one on my computer that they can access. I suppose it's not critical that I have this, because all our music is shared through iTunes, and any file they want I can uplaod to their folders, but it would be nice. Can anyone help me out?

ced

Sys Prefs /Sharing

Run WINDOWS file share, or even ftp if you want.

Then on the windows box you will map network drive to \\ipaddress\user(your account name)

This will share your home directory, and the user they connect as will inherent the RW permissions.

I just use ftp. Simply put ftp://user@ipaddress in your browser, then you have access to the home directory of said user.

edit. Yeah windows file sharing sorry lol

Dilbert

Uh oh. You won't be able to get them to talk. As it turns out, Apple uses a different protocol to talk over networks (iPackets), and it's not compatible with Windows at all.

It works great. One more question: How do I find the exact location of the printer on my network? It's connected to my computer and I have to enter the location on the Windows machines for them to use it.

Edit:nm...How about "Get Info" in the printer utility :p

Edit 2: Ok, that's not working...So how do I netowork a printer? :D

ced

Try just adding by IP address of your machine.

Actually thats not gonna work. I dont have a mac machine by me now, but if you added it to windows machines by \\computername\queue or printer name....

I think you can just add it as that, maybe an LPR option in printer setup util?

Ill get back to you later if you cant get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom